Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yes.

YES.

:flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HardCoil posted:

Thanks for the primer advice everybody :) I'm sure I was spraying it too thick, the primer was pooling on the models, but I was not sure if that was how it was supposed to be.

And this is awesome! How did you do that?

The answer is"I just bought it" because I'm a lazy rear end. The exact model is the Kotobukiya MSG MW-26 Dynamic Chain Saw. The real trick with buying it is that it's a third-party addon for Gunpla, and Gunpla are so standardized that they basically all use the same joint sockets and so on, so it needed no fitting at all with my base model. Fair warning if you want one for yourself, you have to cut and put together every individual chain link on this thing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Calico Noose posted:

I think this guy beat you to that idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqA6nbk2zos

It's beautiful :stwoon:

He loads the cannons with a ramrod :allears:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 5, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha yeah that thing is awesomely badass, I remember when it was posted a while back. I love the dropping cartridges and smoke!

So OK, since that's been done, how about someone figuring out how to mount one of those dangerously powerful green lasers on something to actually MELT and KILL your opponent's models? eh? EH?!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That reminds me, what search terms should I use to find those sprues of joints for Gundam figures? Stuff like "hobby joints" or "plastic joints" bring epoxies and plumbing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

An Angry Bug posted:

That reminds me, what search terms should I use to find those sprues of joints for Gundam figures? Stuff like "hobby joints" or "plastic joints" bring epoxies and plumbing.

Probably 'gunpla joints'?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

An Angry Bug posted:

Polycaps, polycap joints, or just gunpla joints.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Belated Oath thread xxx post

On the downside, all of this got seriously half assed cause poo poo went down irl last month.

On the upside, I feel like I've become a decent enough painter that my half rear end poo poo is pretty decent!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I was wondering if anyone had a good guide to working with green stuff? I usually just use it to fill gaps but would like to put some fairly large emblems on new warmachine stuff.

I tend to find it hard to work with so I don't know if I'm just mixing it wrong or if it's a case of using improper tools.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

w00tmonger posted:

I was wondering if anyone had a good guide to working with green stuff? I usually just use it to fill gaps but would like to put some fairly large emblems on new warmachine stuff.

I tend to find it hard to work with so I don't know if I'm just mixing it wrong or if it's a case of using improper tools.

lubricate the tools and your fingers with vaseline or lip balm and it will be so much easier to work with green stuff

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Can anyone recommend me a good tutorial (or just give me some tips) on painting a black cloak? I'm just figuring out highlighting and shading more complicated than "paint it a base coat and then use a dark wash on it," but I can't quite seem to get my black cloak to look like anything other than a black sheet with gray stripes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Peas and Rice posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good tutorial (or just give me some tips) on painting a black cloak? I'm just figuring out highlighting and shading more complicated than "paint it a base coat and then use a dark wash on it," but I can't quite seem to get my black cloak to look like anything other than a black sheet with gray stripes.

The base colour needs to be a dark grey, not black.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

What exactly is the problem and which tools are you using? Rubber tools like colour shapers are fantastic for GS. For metal tools, it can be worth spending a little and not buying the cheapest (or GW) tools.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

serious gaylord posted:

The base colour needs to be a dark grey, not black.

So dark grey for the base, black wash for the insides of folds, lighter grey highlights?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Peas and Rice posted:

What kind of coat is it? For black leather you want it to create a shiny appearance. Here is how I do it

Base coat black
Highlight P3 Coal Black (it is a slightly blueish black, Incubi Darkness might be a good GW match). This highlight should cover maybe 15 percent of the basecoat.
Super thin highlight of light grey (fortress grey) to simulate light reflecting. You only want a really thing line and only where the light would naturally catch.

The super thing highlight with a much lighter is the trick to give it a shiny leather appearance. Same rules apply for other colours.

E: actually, it is pretty much how I paint all of my black now because it actually looks black rather than dark grey.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Peas and Rice posted:

So dark grey for the base, black wash for the insides of folds, lighter grey highlights?

Yeah. Less is more on black cloaks. For the base i'd get the darkest grey you have and mix in a tiny bit of grey.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Peas and Rice posted:

Yup. Use a highlight that is only a little lighter than the base color, done.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

I have struggled with GS over the years and am finally to the point of ‘decent’. Be prepared to struggle and hate yourself, because the only real way to get good is with practice.

However, here are the top 5 things that I learned that impacted my GS skills:
  • Do NOT work with GS right after you mixed it. Wait about 30-40min (the time will depend on your climate) before doing anything with it. There are some exceptions, like when you really need something sticky and squishy.
  • Use cooking/canola/olive oil to lubricate your fingers and tools
  • Use superglue to hold greenstuff in place when you sculpt things. If it looks like crap you can just scrape everything off and start over.
  • Bite the bullet and buy some sculpting and clay shaping tools early. You will only use 2-3 of them, but they are worth it, considering the amount of frustration they will save

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd add to that:
-Use as little GS as possible.

For example, don't sculpt a cloak. Find an almost serviceable cloak and use GS to make it fit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Slightly off the current topic but I just tried weathering powders and oh man they're so much fun to play with. :syoon:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

Slightly off the current topic but I just tried weathering powders and oh man they're so much fun to play with. :syoon:

I love 'em! I keep mine in a drawer, so I like to have a bit of powder on top and drip on some gloss lacquer so I know what color the powder is - basically like putting dots of paint on top of your paint pots.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I love 'em! I keep mine in a drawer, so I like to have a bit of powder on top and drip on some gloss lacquer so I know what color the powder is - basically like putting dots of paint on top of your paint pots.

Great idea, but I store mine in a spare KR multicase so I have to drag most of them out anyway.

Can't believe I went so long in this hobby without using them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moths posted:

I'd add to that:
-Use as little GS as possible.

For example, don't sculpt a cloak. Find an almost serviceable cloak and use GS to make it fit.

Following on from this, use formers. Something to give the GS a base to work on. Its far easier, and you get a much nicer sculpt if you're working onto something. For cloaks I tend to cut out a bit of blister pack into the rough shape I want and then sculpt the basic cloak over the top of that. Wait for it to cure, and then start working in the folds over a number of days. This enables you to get the correct flow and bend without worrying about fingerprints or messing up your delicately sculpted ruffles.

The easiest mistake to make with GS work is to try and do it all in one go.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use GS the mostly for banners, oaths of moment, and joints between legs/arms. For the joints I almost always use a paperclip to act as an anchor for the GS and then put a dab of glue in the area between them.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Quick question here about washing white and other bright colors.

I normally just play WWII historical games so when I wash I generally just use a dark brown wash which works well on the tans and greens used on military vehicles. But I attempted this on a brightly colored firestorm armada ship and had some awful looking results.

Should I just use a similar color wash for washing the specific parts of the ship that are that color? IE Blue wash on blue parts, grey(?) on white parts, etc...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, you should generally wash things with like colors unless you're specifically trying to make things muddy. I like blue washes for white, but some folks use black washes. I use orange on yellow, brown/sepia on red, etc.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Numlock posted:

Should I just use a similar color wash for washing the specific parts of the ship that are that color? IE Blue wash on blue parts, grey(?) on white parts, etc...

Hard to say. I used to wash red with red, but after making the switch to washing red with purple, haven't looked back.
Experiment with washes since you can get some decent effects with using non matching colours.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Think of washes as a filter. You want to apply the filter to get the correct effect over the top. There is, however, another way to think about filters- what effect will you get when you take the wash away.

For white you cannot beat a black or dark brown oil wash. It's my favorite wash to do (except for orange over yellow). It has to be oil, however, since you need to remove it afterwards. It's how I get depth for my whites without resorting to painting 10 shades of grey:

Obviously this will make your white contrasted and dirty, which is an effect I love.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God drat that's a purdy way to do white.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
For white, espeically white cloth, I have taken to using a wash of Vallejo Pale (which is a light grey) mixed with a tiny tiny bit of Payne's Grey ink. I usually prefer cooler whites, so that works out well. For a warmer white I would maybe use Menoth White or super duper watered down Sepia.

Red washed with Red just looks....red, its hard to get a good shade from it. That's why Baal Red was such garbage. Carroburg Crimson is great but that's because it has a good amount of purple in it. Depending on the look you want you'd probably want either some purple or some brown in the red for shading. Or some green, since green and red makes brown.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Dont be afraid to use a green to shade red.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I thought you were supposed to use green. Of course covering red with red looks bad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, I'm going to have to experiment with all of the above red shading suggestions. I've been using crimson to shade my red for my Minotaurs, but the other options might be interesting. A bit too late for my Tau though.

Also, regarding colour choices, I'm having a hell of a time deciding what to paint my Skaven's hoods as. I'm not sure I want to paint them leathery, as most of them will have a shade of brown for fur. I've been toying with giving some of them pirate-y blue and white stripes but I'm not sure how'd that look on such small models. Green is out due to plague monks and warpstone reserving that colour.

Would love to have some ideas bounced off.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 7, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ijyt posted:

Welp, I'm going to have to experiment with all of the above red shading suggestions. I've been using crimson to shade my red for my Minotaurs, but the other options might be interesting. A bit too late for my Tau though.

Also, regarding colour choices, I'm having a hell of a time deciding what to paint my Skaven's hoods as. I'm not sure I want to paint them leathery, as most of them will have a shade of brown for fur. I've been toying with giving some of them pirate-y blue and white stripes but I'm not sure how'd that look on such small models. Green is out due to plague monks and warpstone reserving that colour.

Would love to have some ideas bounced off.

It really does have an effect on the "texture" of the final object. If you're trying to make rich dark red leather, then a brown would probably work better. Red velvet or heavy cloak material might work better with a purple, etc.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I figured my Tyranid display board needed one extra little touch.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That guy is the grimdark version of :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

It really does have an effect on the "texture" of the final object. If you're trying to make rich dark red leather, then a brown would probably work better. Red velvet or heavy cloak material might work better with a purple, etc.

I'll definitely keep in mind the purple for my HQ cloaks, but it's mostly just the shoulder pads and weapons.

e: That commissar/wounded combo is probably one of my favourite FW sculpts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't the executioner guy actually a quartermaster? I never understood that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

moths posted:

Yeah. Comes at part of the quartermaster's retinue. It's a great pack.

The quartermaster himself works great as a commander for platoon command squads. Then you also get a guy that has a bunch of metal arms with medical devices. Could be a techpriest if you wanted, but I'd say works best as the medic in a CCS. Then there's the priest which of course works great for a priest. Not sure what I would use the quartermaster's little errand boy for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

moths posted:

I guess he's going to acquisition that guys equipment.

• Locked thread