Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Suaimhneas posted:

Nobody is saying the spinner should be free. It's just kinda lovely to have to pay £11 to get a single weapon when £13.49 previously got me two whole dlc packs that include not only new weapons but also new characters and entire new game modes with almost as much content as the original game.

I'm sure it's great if you were going to buy the amiibo anyway and the in-game stuff is just a bonus, but to someone who has no interest in videogame figurines it just feels like a sudden massive hike in how much they're charging for their dlc content. I can't bring myself to think that's rad or be happy about it, sorry.

Also I'm pretty sure that TRU promotion is only in the US so that's no consolation. The only equivalent I can find here is at GAME and it's only for the Mario one. :(

The main deal with the amiibo DLC is that it functions in multiple games, like how the Link amiibo gets you the spinner, the link costume in MK8 and the smash bros ai pal. So while the value to individual games isn't necessarily great they would (hopefully) have a good overall value when factoring in all the games they support.

I'm still probably not gonna get one until ROB or someone else interesting gets one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OTOH, R.O.B seems like a character unlikely to appear in a lot of games.

The thing that impresses me about Amiibo is they really seem like they're making it do at least something in every upcoming game, and even patching stuff into games they already released.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Amiibo thing seems like brilliant marketing, even if they don't sell a ton of them the ones they do sell will both likely be a constant Nintendo ad around the buyers house, and will inspire people to buy new games based just off of the idea of getting the value out of the Amiibo they have.

While being fun and all that. Most people have more money than they need anyway so have fun suckers ;)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I think my favorite thing from the Nintendo Direct is the remixed Duck Hunt music.

Edit: I just finished watching the direct again, and drat if 2015 isn't going to be an awesome year to own a Wii U.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 6, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fremry posted:

I think my favorite thing from the Nintendo Direct is the remixed Duck Hunt music.

Edit: I just finished watching the direct again, and drat if 2015 isn't going to be an awesome year to own a Wii U.

2014 has been pretty good

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't like the amiibo model because of how it's spread out. I'd rather pay full price for a bunch of dlc for one game than for one piece of dlc across a bunch of games. The odds are pretty low that I'll own all the games, like them all enough to want to buy dlc, and be interested enough in the dlc that's being offered for each specific game. It seems like a profitable strategy but it sucks for the consumer.

As it is, if I want two Mii costumes, I have to pay $26. I'd rather just buy a full package without having to also buy a bunch of stuff I don't want for games I don't even own. I'm not freaking out about it but it seems like a totally reasonable thing to complain about.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Can I scan my Amiibos with my e-reader?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I want everyone to know that I'm also not freaking out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

Can I scan my Amiibos with my e-reader?

To what end?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

elf help book posted:

I want everyone to know that I'm also not freaking out.

I'm freaking out but on the inside, like a karateman.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If you rip the electronics out of the amiibo base, can you insert them into any physical object and have it work?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Trent posted:

To what end?

To unlock minor things that annoy people who can't have them.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Polo-Rican posted:

If you rip the electronics out of the amiibo base, can you insert them into any physical object and have it work?

If you shove the right amiibo wiring into a short fat italian, he suddenly knows about plumbing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm also wondering about this, except with regards to the still-beating heart of a powerful tiger and my own chest cavity

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

Please do not put Amiibo NFC chips up your urethra. It will make a great party trick but not worth it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I will probably pick up at least one Amiibo, funds permitting. I'd wanted to get a PS4 on Black Friday, and I'm already picking up Persona Q...but drat all these DLCs sound sweet and also cool.

Makes me wanna fire up Mario Kart again. I guarantee once this drops, F-Zero will be the only track being played online for, like, 3 months.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

greatn posted:

Please do not put Amiibo NFC chips up your urethra. It will make a great party trick but not worth it.

That's just, like, your opinion man.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm going to implant mario into my arm.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I already have a nintendo full-sleeve tattoo with kirby, mario, etc, so all I need to do is put the chips under the skin at the right spots.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

What about the anus? Can someone make a chart of orifices that can accept Amiibo NFC chips? God, Nintendo makes this stuff so confusing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm going to implant mario into my arm.

Link chip in back of hand.

Ah, I see you have the triforce of dorkiness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm gonna implant the NFC chip from Amiibo Mario into my S.H. Figuarts Mario's foot.

...said someone who isn't DoctorWhat and who has the actual skills that would be necessary to do so.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rather imagine that the "NFC chip" is actually a thin sticker that may not survive getting peeled off the figurine.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Trent posted:

To what end?

Gaming, etc.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Tender Bender posted:

I don't like the amiibo model because of how it's spread out. I'd rather pay full price for a bunch of dlc for one game than for one piece of dlc across a bunch of games. The odds are pretty low that I'll own all the games, like them all enough to want to buy dlc, and be interested enough in the dlc that's being offered for each specific game. It seems like a profitable strategy but it sucks for the consumer.

As it is, if I want two Mii costumes, I have to pay $26. I'd rather just buy a full package without having to also buy a bunch of stuff I don't want for games I don't even own. I'm not freaking out about it but it seems like a totally reasonable thing to complain about.

I agree and I'm quite confused that this is apparently considered an unusual opinion ITT.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I also agree, all things considered. When I am spurred to buy something, I would hope I'd want thing I'm buying rather than just the bonus that comes with it. I don't buy games for Club Nintendo coins (okay that example's a bit extreme but you get my point).

I'm getting the Yoshi Amiibo because I absolutely require more Yoshi stuff - what comes with it serves more as a nice bonus to seal the deal.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

I also agree, all things considered. When I am spurred to buy something, I would hope I'd want thing I'm buying rather than just the bonus that comes with it. I don't buy games for Club Nintendo coins (okay that example's a bit extreme but you get my point).

I'm getting the Yoshi Amiibo because I absolutely require more Yoshi stuff - what comes with it serves more as a nice bonus to seal the deal.

I wanted to get the Yoshi Amiibo with my smash bros, but this Hyrule Warriors thing is forcing my hand to get the Link one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're cute Nintendo figurines that happen to give you cute extra stuff in your cute games as a bonus.

People be acting like they crumble into dust as soon as you touch them to your gamepad.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're cute Nintendo figurines that happen to give you cute extra stuff in your cute games as a bonus.

People be acting like they crumble into dust as soon as you touch them to your gamepad.

I wonder if a friend could bring over their Amiibos and unlock mii costumes in my Mario Kart, after they already unlocked it in their Mario Kart. That could be cool.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Someone start an Amiibo mail circle so everyone can unlock Link's spinner off of one figure.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anybody know a place to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 at not stupid prices? I was walking by a Gamestop, and it's still $30 used there.

Edit: Also, that gamestop had 3 copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy for $50.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fix posted:

"Uneasy?"

Being overdramatic about voice acting choices, that's all :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Maybe if enough people buy the Pit amiibo they'll make a Kid Icarus: Uprising U.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

Maybe if enough people buy the Pit amiibo they'll make a Kid Icarus: Uprising U.

My one true desire.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

Someone start an Amiibo mail circle so everyone can unlock Link's spinner off of one figure.

Be sure to sign your username somewhere on the amiibo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I wasn't feeling the first Bayonetta during its Prologue chapter. I'm not sure what it was, I felt like I couldn't string any combos together or dodge or do much really. It seemed like the kick button had a weird recovery time and I just couldn't use it in combos. Just finished Chapter 1 and I'm liking it a lot more now. I have to go out now for a couple of hours, but I really want to stay in and play it some more. :negative:

One thing, I wish you could turn on a babby meter which shows you what you're doing with your combo during the game, like there is in the loading screen. I'd like to practice the timing for the pause a bit more.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fremry posted:

Anybody know a place to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 at not stupid prices? I was walking by a Gamestop, and it's still $30 used there.

Both of these are good deals though?

Like yeah dude I get the logic that old game = cheap but it's the best single player Mario for less than retail and three really good games for the price of one

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I wasn't feeling the first Bayonetta during its Prologue chapter. I'm not sure what it was, I felt like I couldn't string any combos together or dodge or do much really. It seemed like the kick button had a weird recovery time and I just couldn't use it in combos. Just finished Chapter 1 and I'm liking it a lot more now. I have to go out now for a couple of hours, but I really want to stay in and play it some more. :negative:

One thing, I wish you could turn on a babby meter which shows you what you're doing with your combo during the game, like there is in the loading screen. I'd like to practice the timing for the pause a bit more.

Hit the '-' button during a loading screen and you can practice as long as you want

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

Good luck finding Metroid Prime Trilogy for cheaper. That's how much it was new, but it was explicitly a limited print run so that game fetches some crazy high prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ruggington posted:

Hit the '-' button during a loading screen and you can practice as long as you want

wait WHAT!?

• Locked thread