Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I get it in 3 times :v:

-Right after I prime zenthialy
-When all my basecoats and first round of highlights are done
-After I clean up my oil washes

Between those steps it immediately reverts to 'very meh'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm hoping to be there by 11am. I'll probably have lunch in Bugmans.

I'm super easy to spot as I am always wearing a baseball style cap. This time it's dark blue with a white M on the front.

Cool! I'll be there well after your lunch I'm sure, I'll be wearing a dark grey suit and look completely out of place amongst the warhams :v:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

krushgroove posted:

Cool! I'll be there well after your lunch I'm sure, I'll be wearing a dark grey suit and look completely out of place amongst the warhams :v:

Yep, GW board member spotted.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had a fun 1850 game with Big Willy Style.

We played with tactical objectives but both ended up with pretty gimped card draws. So there wasn't a lot of scoring. Orks were victorious in the end. I managed to score the card for holding all 6 objectives.

Moment of the game was when the shokk attack gun rolled vortex and did 10HP of unsavable damage to Pask the turn after he popped his smoke launchers.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What a cool idea for the Citadel board! First time I've seen roads painted on it.

BTW, don't know if you know who he is, but Vaughn Gittin Jr (American drift carracer) enjoyed my shirt last weekend:

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yep, GW board member spotted.

Well I'm not interviewing for THAT - maybe in a few years?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

What a cool idea for the Citadel board! First time I've seen roads painted on it.

BTW, don't know if you know who he is, but Vaughn Gittin Jr (American drift carracer) enjoyed my shirt last weekend:

Well I'm not interviewing for THAT - maybe in a few years?

That's sweet but not I only do I not know who that gentleman is I do not know what a drift car is. Is it like some kind of hovercraft?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cataphract posted:

That's sweet but not I only do I not know who that gentleman is I do not know what a drift car is. Is it like some kind of hovercraft?

As I understand it, they drive race cars around a circuit where the winner, instead of being the quickest, is the driver who gets the most style points for getting their car to go sideways through corners.

It's basically the figure skating of the motorsports world :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Professional bogan, I suppose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAkM9Jieak

Don't want to derail warhams much but yeah it's good fun!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

Mine would have to be:

Sternguard

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/116/640x905_19979_Sternguard_Veteran_2d_fantasy_warhammer_soldier_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Powerful, flexible. Able to take a multitude of transport options, and deal with pretty much anything thrown at them on the fly.

I love being able to stick 10 in a pod, give them a few combi weapons, and then be able to take on whatever I want in the enemy army - MC, vehicle, squad in cover, etc.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

BULBASAUR posted:

-After I clean up my oil washes

What is the best way to do this without losing the effect of the wash? I just washed my dread, and it is looking good, but there are a few spots where things pooled badly that I want to clean up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jadebullet posted:

What is the best way to do this without losing the effect of the wash? I just washed my dread, and it is looking good, but there are a few spots where things pooled badly that I want to clean up.

For oil washes? You just apply a bit of white spirit to a cotton bud and wipe it off.

For normal washes. you're hosed.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Woo, picked up a couple Tau Piranhas on-sprue for $17.50 each. Going to magnetize the wings on them so I can also use them as counts-as tetras.

Also picked up a few bits--landing gear for my rescue hammerhead that didn't come with any and a cape bit to put on that terminator I oathed ages ago. A friend suggested it, and I liked the idea. She's* supposed to be a captain, so a bit more differentiating her from the other 15 I have to paint is good.

I just ignore that captains can't actually take assault cannons, since I'm not planning to PLAY Marines, just painting some models I like.

*:colbert:

EDIT: Lord Twisted, mine would have to be the humble Crisis Battlesuit. I love the look, jetpack mecha are cool, and it's also quite effective and versatile. It's even easy to magnetize for weapon swapping!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 6, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also this is not a lot I'm interested in, but for the amount of stuff going you could get a steal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massive-40K-Clearout-/201210782971?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2ed918e4fb

Just came across it and thought goons might be interested.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

Mine would have to be:

Sternguard

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/116/640x905_19979_Sternguard_Veteran_2d_fantasy_warhammer_soldier_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Powerful, flexible. Able to take a multitude of transport options, and deal with pretty much anything thrown at them on the fly.

I love being able to stick 10 in a pod, give them a few combi weapons, and then be able to take on whatever I want in the enemy army - MC, vehicle, squad in cover, etc.

Mine is also Sternguard, prolly modelled as Deathwatch Kill Team, for the same mechanical reasons but with the fluff bonuses of (A) action-movie feel of individual badasses working in concert and (B) it can represent my RPG group, the cast from a book, or absolutely anything else if I'm willing to make some seriously suboptimal choices. See also Chaos Chosen.

I also really loved playing the 3rd Edition Craftworld Ulthwe Seer Council.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

The Leman Russ chassis. Giant lumbering tanks with big fuckoff guns are the best. I really can't get MBTs to be good, but I love using them anyways.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
anything veteran space marine, because it's an excuse to be ridiculous with robes and scrolls and poo poo

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Got to be the Dark Eldar Raider. I had a rant about it and everything.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Genestealers. They just want hugs. Pointy, rending hugs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

I know I've said this before several times but the old Kasrkin models that got released around the time of the 2nd 3rd edition codex has always been a favourite of mine.

Nothing against the newer Stormtroopers, they're really easy and nice to build, but they're almost a bit too baroque for my taste. I generally like the bulky and soldier-y feeling of the Kasrkin. They look serious and just about to bust through the door and gently caress up some heretics.

The old Stormtroopers are pretty good even if prefer the ones with gasmask over the unmasked ones.
But the Kasrkin are in my top three in terms of looks and appearance and I'm still disappointed they never got a plastic release.
Wish I had more of them for that part.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
loving Dreadnoughts man.

Dawn of War opening cinematic. Orks are right about to overrun the Space Marine line and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Dawn of War II opening cinematic. Banshees about to catch the Captain and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Seriously, if you don't get amped for a half-dead marine in a murder machine why are you playing this game?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Mine has to be Obliterators. They draw a lot of enemy fire but are very survivable, can pretty much always do something useful if you place them properly, and I love having an assault cannon to thin light infantry and rapid-fire relentless plasma to burn terminators and pile wound on MCs. I've had entire 30-boyz mobs stall when assaulting the Nurgle version.

Every Chaos list I've had in the last 3 years has had at least one pair of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Warp Spiders. Teleport in, shred, teleport out.

Plus they have the most offbeat response set in Dawn of War to match their strange and maudlin even by Eldar standards personalities, it's great.

Just wish they had something better than the current failcast guys. A Phoenix Lord would be nice too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tossup between Genestealers being perfect for the 'swarm of unending aliens' thing and the Dark Eldar skiffs for being big fuckin party barges full of slavers and covered in impaled skulls and body parts and junk.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Huggyfex, for being the most :3: murdermachinebeast. It was sleek and menacing back in the days of old goofy plastic Warriors and has a unique style even now.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They're hard to find decent pictures of, but second edition metal Plague Marines have always been my favorite.

The plastics were awful, but the metal special weapons and champions were cool as hell. Second edition Chaos in general is what got me into 40k way back when. The current design direction Chaos has been heading in doesn't really do it for me, though the Chosen are pretty great, just not in a 2nd ed way.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd have to say Dreadnoughts, just because they were one of the last models I made before getting out of the hobby last time and I was so super jazzed that they finally made a plastic version. I loved assembling that thing. It was such a satisfying feeling. And then using them as a mobile anti-tank unit was pretty great as well, as was the fact that it was the first time you could really swap out weapons without any problems.

Also because Metallica's "One" reimagined as a forever murder machine is rad as gently caress.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mines the Logan Chariot because its peak 40k. Utterly ridiculous, would never work and yet I love it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's no surprise that my favorite unit is harlequins. Mechanically, they are pretty weak right now, but fluff-wise, they are all kinds of rad. Their whole gimmick is a perfect example of 40K's mashing disparate things together until something cool pops out: space elf clown ninjas. They bind the eldar race together by retelling its history through interpretive dance. And they have some of the absolutely prettiest models in the entire GW range.

I'm hoping their disappearance from the DE book means a mini-codex or dataslate is in the works.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

loving Dreadnoughts man.

Dawn of War opening cinematic. Orks are right about to overrun the Space Marine line and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Dawn of War II opening cinematic. Banshees about to catch the Captain and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Seriously, if you don't get amped for a half-dead marine in a murder machine why are you playing this game?

PantsOptional posted:

I'd have to say Dreadnoughts, just because they were one of the last models I made before getting out of the hobby last time and I was so super jazzed that they finally made a plastic version. I loved assembling that thing. It was such a satisfying feeling. And then using them as a mobile anti-tank unit was pretty great as well, as was the fact that it was the first time you could really swap out weapons without any problems.

Also because Metallica's "One" reimagined as a forever murder machine is rad as gently caress.

There guys know where the gently caress it's at. I love the fluff of the Dreadnought, the thought of a centuries (or millenia!) old Marine immortalized in a shell of steel and adamantium because they're just too much of a badass to lay down and die is awesome.

I love all patterns equally, but on the tabletop I have a particular like for the Ironclad Dreadnought. Sure it might not be the optimal choice but gently caress that noise it's a dead Marine in an angry metal box with reinforced armor equivalent to a main battle tank and with a goddamned battering ram for an arm :black101:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I run Deathwing so uh it's no surprise that terminators are my favorite.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Potential BFF posted:

They're hard to find decent pictures of, but second edition metal Plague Marines have always been my favorite.

The plastics were awful, but the metal special weapons and champions were cool as hell. Second edition Chaos in general is what got me into 40k way back when. The current design direction Chaos has been heading in doesn't really do it for me, though the Chosen are pretty great, just not in a 2nd ed way.

Oh yeah, I love the old metal Death Guard models. The plasma gunner is my favorite, with the wooden gun and bug eyes:

If/When I do retro Chaos Marines, you bet I'll paint a squad.

My favorite unit would have to be Sternguard for the modeling opportunities and flexibility on the tabletop. I love Tactical Marines (mediocre as they are) and they're just cooler versions of those. They've also let me make some pretty cool squads:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Err, no it isn't The instructions are part of the product. There's no onus to have them separately available and there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for proof of purchase when you know that people are buying knock-offs that don't come with instructions.

It's really weird to write something like this when you don't actually work for the company involved (assuming)

This is like a pre scripted response I used to have to say when I worked in customer service lol

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Appreciating the other side of a position instead of just reflexively making GBS threads your pants isn't a particularly unusual ability.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I personaly love the Dreads as well, especially the Furioso dread with blood talons. It just looks so cool.

I also really enjoy the look of a Chimera with an autocannon turret as I love the Russian BMP.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Appreciating the other side of a position instead of just reflexively making GBS threads your pants isn't a particularly unusual ability.

Sure, Games Workshop isn't technically obligated to do anything more than provide me with the product they sell. They don't have to replace faulty products, answer my calls, or provide fancy packaging. The point was never what they are obligated to do, but rather what constitutes good customer service, which incidentally never intersects with "what you are obligated to do." I generally think GW has excellent customer service, hence why I was surprised to find out that they ask you to verify purchase before sending a digital copy of instructions.*

But maybe I'm just making a case about customer service instead of reflexively making GBS threads my pants over criticism of GW's practices.

*From a business standpoint, there is no loving way that it is more cost-effective to hire someone to respond to that request by sending you an email and verifying your order than it is to just have the content available for download, even if doing so encourages the occasional counterfeiter, so it's not even good business practice.

Also, I'm in the "Dreadnoughts own" camp and I really like both the FW Chaos Dreads and the Plastic Helbrute models

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lord Twisted posted:

I think I'd have to go with Piranhas, because gently caress yeah, Piranhas. They're fast and obnoxious and super-cheap and kitted right they can kill just about anything. During the halcyon days of 5E I ruined a lot of people's days with stupid little skimmers and their drone buddies moving Flat Out onto objectives to contest them. Also they share a name (and strategy) with one of my favorite Battletech mechs, so there's that.

For model, though, the Huggafex comes very close to dethroning the Piranha. He's just so wuvable.

CyberLord XP posted:

The Dreadnought intoning "I HAVE COME TO DESTROY YOU" in his robot voice is probably the best part of the DoW games, in my opinion. Also activating your flamethrower when you already have a dude clutched in your murder-fists is pretty classic Imperial overkill strategy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
GW's customer service has changed radically in the last few years. They used to have an open 'exchange anything unopened for anything else' in their shops until it began to be abused by people buying large quantities of things from discount sites and then swapping them out for other things when they realised they didnt actually want 20 boxes of Dragon Ogres.

You go back further and you could call them up and say you were missing a lascannon or a backpack sprue and they'd send you out a new box, all they'd ask was to read out the batch number on another sprue from the kit. Again that was abused by a certain forum *cough*warseer*cough* who had an entire thread dedicated to posting sprue batch numbers so people could get free land raiders and that swiftly changed to 'take it to your local store for replacement'.

So I don't find it very hard to believe that Forge World have taken a stance after more than likely being contacted constantly by people asking for instructions for chinese versions of their stuff that you need to have an order number or a batch number.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
For me it's Wraithlords. They're why I started my Iyanden army like 12 years ago and I still run them in Iyanden lists today no matter how god awful and overly priced they are on the table. Conceptually I really like what they embody, an actual legendary hero brought back from actual death to pilot a graceful warmachine, none of that boxy dreadnought grossness.

And like I said they're not very good but there are particular situations where they really, really shine - 2 flamers isn't bad but getting it stuck in with a MEQ leader who can't hurt it and is just counting down the invulnerable saves to instant death is a nice feeling.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure, Games Workshop isn't technically obligated to do anything more than provide me with the product they sell. They don't have to replace faulty products, answer my calls

Actually they are. They tend to go beyond their obligations but they are required to do those things. As to the rest, what Serious Gaylord said. People took the piss massively and GW responded by no longer giving the benefit of the doubt to every CS call. It's not GW's fault that there are a lot of lovely people in this hobby. It's the people making false claims for missing parts and the people buying from China who are directly responsible for you not being able to get FW instructions no questions asked, and for me having to travel 30 miles or post a return if I buy Finecast.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Lord Twisted posted:

Inquisitors. They get the coolest toys, always get into the hottest clubs, they chill with the funkiest xenos and assasins (and sometimes xenos assains, or assasin xenos), and they have license to be the biggest assholes outside the eye of terror and somehow they still arent truly the bad guys (some execeptions, ofc).

• Locked thread