Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

tuyop posted:

How does the palm rejection work???

Pretty good, but you have to remember to disable multifinger gestures or you will be constantly app switching/home screening. Occasionally it misses that I have lifted the pencil to blur something with my finger and it will continue to draw, but by in large it works as advertised.

Roobsa posted:

Cool, thanks. I decided to drop the cash and order the Pencil.

I hope you enjoy it, as a heavy paper user I get a fair amount of mileage out of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup posted:

Pretty good, but you have to remember to disable multifinger gestures or you will be constantly app switching/home screening. Occasionally it misses that I have lifted the pencil to blur something with my finger and it will continue to draw, but by in large it works as advertised.

I hope you enjoy it, as a heavy paper user I get a fair amount of mileage out of mine.

Oh, you're actually talking about this thing. I thought it was a joke. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DaNzA posted:

What if you change the setting in Notification Center/FaceTime?
I tried that earlier by setting it to banner, it still gave the full screen call answer screen :argh:

wooger posted:

Hey, watching lovely TV shows while posting to SA when you're on the train to work would be the holy grail.
Yeah it'd be nice for watching and posting/chatting uses. Or just typing posts in Notes and switching around tabs and not losing your post when the page reloads, or reference material + notes or whatever other random combinations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

japtor posted:

I tried that earlier by setting it to banner, it still gave the full screen call answer screen :argh:

Yeah it'd be nice for watching and posting/chatting uses. Or just typing posts in Notes and switching around tabs and not losing your post when the page reloads, or reference material + notes or whatever other random combinations.

Yeah, split screen was what I meant - things like typing emails or notes with a website open - surely I'm not the only one around here who uses their iPad for productivity.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, split screen was what I meant - things like typing emails or notes with a website open - surely I'm not the only one around here who uses their iPad for productivity.

I used to have Android tablets with split screen and stylus and came to realize it's not all that great for productivity. When you can take notes directly onto a pdf or website, there isn't a pressing need.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Space Racist posted:

That would be pretty nice. I think the iPad has reached a point where doing real actual work on it is feasible enough now that something like this would be pretty useful.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The other thing they could do to help productivity is make Bluetooth keyboards able to control everything on the iPad*, from switching apps with Cmd-tab to changing the settings, control canter, notifications etc.

* I'm aware of the keyboard navigation options enabled by the Voiceover Accessibility options; it is lovely.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the AppleSim situation is super convoluted because carriers are scum, and the most flexible way to buy an LTE iPadAir2 is still to buy one from Verizon *without* an AppleSim?

https://storify.com/spangborn/legere-addresses-sprint-and-at-and-t-apple-sim#publicize

It seems like that gets you the ability to use traditional sims from everywhere but Sprint.

cant you just eject the apple sim?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I picked up a Jot+ on clearance at Target and I like it so far - as stylus talk goes.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

eddiewalker posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the AppleSim situation is super convoluted because carriers are scum, and the most flexible way to buy an LTE iPadAir2 is still to buy one from Verizon *without* an AppleSim?

https://storify.com/spangborn/legere-addresses-sprint-and-at-and-t-apple-sim#publicize

It seems like that gets you the ability to use traditional sims from everywhere but Sprint.

I love my apple sim. My iPad 3 was on Verizon and I paid $10/m to tack onto my sisters data plan. I probably used 250-750mb of data a month since I usually always have wifi.

With Apple sim on my Air 2 I switched to T-Mobile and get 500mb of data free per month. If I happen to need more I can pay $10 for 5gb that can be used over the course of 90 or 180 days or something.

It's a great deal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

dutchbstrd posted:

I love my apple sim. My iPad 3 was on Verizon and I paid $10/m to tack onto my sisters data plan. I probably used 250-750mb of data a month since I usually always have wifi.

With Apple sim on my Air 2 I switched to T-Mobile and get 500mb of data free per month. If I happen to need more I can pay $10 for 5gb that can be used over the course of 90 or 180 days or something.

It's a great deal.

This is just a T-mobile thing, though. I got 200mb of free data (maybe it's 500mb now? or maybe that's Apple sim specific? I have no idea since I rarely use more than 100mb in a month) on my 1st gen Air with T-mobile after swapping in a T-mobile sim.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Right but my point is without the fancy Apple sim I would have most certainly bought a Verizon model and would still be paying for data.

Since I bought the iPad from the Apple Store I didn't have an option for carrier so I assumed the iPad would work on all carriers. I was upset for about 2 seconds when I got home and was unable to activate on Verizon before I decided to check out T-Mobile and found out how much cheaper it really is.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just went from my iPad 2 (purchased at release in 2011) to this iPad Air 2... And holy smokes is this nice.

This is actually as fas as the iPad 2 was back with iOS 4, but the display is nuts.

I'm tempted to get a nice keyboard case for this.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
^ Hey Xeno, that was my upgrade path too!

OK, I got an iPad Air 2 64GB with cellular. First impression - this is impossibly small/light. I was absolutely blown away. My old iPad 2 weighs at least twice as much, is physically bigger with a smaller screen.

My last iPad utilized Verizon prepaid - $30 for 2GB a month which I later stepped down to $20 for 1GB a month. I'm a bit smitten by T-Mobile's offerings.

I'm assuming that the free 200MB plan acts as a sort of "teaser", like the 20 hours free AOL that turned people into junkies. You can blow through that pretty drat fast at 4G. That and it's also two big middle fingers to AT&T and Verizon, which I really have no issue with them doing. I also really like the whole "once you hit your limit we'll give you lower speeds" instead of just shutting you off. Are the lowered speeds just 3G or even lower like dial-up speeds?

Has anyone here set up the plans with T-Mobile? Is it just setting up an e-mail address, password, name and billing address, and away you go? How has it been working?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Has anyone here set up the plans with T-Mobile? Is it just setting up an e-mail address, password, name and billing address, and away you go? How has it been working?

Read my posts above. I am blown away by the quality of T-Mobile. Free 200mb then after than you can pay $10 for 5gb over the course of 3 months.

Speed and service has been great for me (San Francisco and North Bay) but I have not traveled with it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

From the fine print it looks like the T-Mobile $10/5GB for 5 months thing is just a one-time offer, though, which is kind of a downer.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Dutch have you ever hit the limit and gone down to the throttled speed?

And yeah, that's a special offer, unfortunately. But they do offer several different "flavors" like standard month to month, free 200MB, "data packs", you name it. I don't think any other carriers offer those different options to suit different users' needs.

The free data is particularly brilliant and daring, and it will probably end up making them money in the long run.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 5, 2014

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Will the Apple Store have the iPad Mini 2 in stock or will it just be an online only thing? This is in the UK.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Dutch have you ever hit the limit and gone down to the throttled speed?

And yeah, that's a special offer, unfortunately. But they do offer several different "flavors" like standard month to month, free 200MB, "data packs", you name it. I don't think any other carriers offer those different options to suit different users' needs.

The free data is particularly brilliant and daring, and it will probably end up making them money in the long run.

No I have not in out yet. I usually am on wifi but that's why the T-Mobile plan is so great for those rare times when I have no wifi.

If that 5gb thing is a special offer do you think they'll offer other plans like that in the future every few months? Either way the pricing for monthly plans seems right in line with the rest of the carriers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

number one pta fan posted:

Will the Apple Store have the iPad Mini 2 in stock or will it just be an online only thing? This is in the UK.

Pretty sure I saw it in the Apple Store in Edmonton last week.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Is it wrong that I already have a third gen iPad but now I want to get a Mini Retina just to carry around with me?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pogo Stick Eagle posted:

Is it wrong that I already have a third gen iPad but now I want to get a Mini Retina just to carry around with me?

The Mini 2 (or 3) has better specs all around anyway. I'd flip the 3 and get a Mini.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

^ Hey Xeno, that was my upgrade path too!

OK, I got an iPad Air 2 64GB with cellular. First impression - this is impossibly small/light. I was absolutely blown away. My old iPad 2 weighs at least twice as much, is physically bigger with a smaller screen.
Your iPad 2 is about 50% heavier (610g vs 444 g) and they have the exact same size screen. The smaller bezels are confusing you. :)

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 club here, wow! Anyone have the Apple Smart Case? It looks like exactly what I want and I'm sure it's great quality, but $80 is steep, is it worth it?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have the smart case. It's okay but not $80 okay IMO. The leather is nice and it is not bulky. The stand on it seems firmer than the smart cover I had for the original air. The buttons can require a bit more effort to press but that may be because it's thinner and they're closer to the back compared to the original air. It also has this seam that sticks out the side that attaches the cover to the case. This is the first case I have purchased for my iPads. I usually grabbed a smart cover and a cheap TPU smart cover compatible back. I didn't like the ones available at the time on amazon so grabbed the smart case. Anyways, it is nice leather with a good feel that fits the iPad quite well. Aside from the button and the seam thing, I have no real complaints except it being $80.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 6, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can usually find Apple cases for like 75% cheaper on eBay. I remember someone saying they're usually made in the same factory with the same methods and everything. Fake but barely.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 6, 2014

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Still torn on if I should trade up to the Air 2 from my iPad 2. It's obviously markedly better in every way, but I tried it out in store. The amount the device vibrates really bothers me considering I want to start using it for musician-y things (both for playback with Amplitube and tracking demos). It seems to vibrate a considerable amount at 100% volume, but it still feels like I turned on haptic feedback even at 40% or so.

Musicians, any of you give it a shot yet? If I just leave it on a table while I play guitar into it (using it as a speaker), is it going to vibrate so much it rattles against the table? I obviously can't demo this too well in a Best Buy.

Also, if I only REALLY use it for that, will I be able to fit a bunch of demos on the 16GB model, or would I have to go 64GB?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hedgecore posted:

Still torn on if I should trade up to the Air 2 from my iPad 2. It's obviously markedly better in every way, but I tried it out in store. The amount the device vibrates really bothers me considering I want to start using it for musician-y things (both for playback with Amplitube and tracking demos). It seems to vibrate a considerable amount at 100% volume, but it still feels like I turned on haptic feedback even at 40% or so.

Musicians, any of you give it a shot yet? If I just leave it on a table while I play guitar into it (using it as a speaker), is it going to vibrate so much it rattles against the table? I obviously can't demo this too well in a Best Buy.

Also, if I only REALLY use it for that, will I be able to fit a bunch of demos on the 16GB model, or would I have to go 64GB?

I don't know about the vibration but the 16gb is basically useless at this point.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

hedgecore posted:

If vibration is a problem, put it in a case, leather or silicone would solve that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hedgecore posted:

One should get the 16GB one. If you just have GarageBand and stuff installed, just the samples take up gigabytes.

For music, I don't think anyone recommends actually using the iPad speakers for anything, ever. Get headphones or some powered monitors, or use the line out to literally any speakers and you'll be better off. The speakers on any tablet are so small and tinny that nothing will sound the same via a proper setup.

Or just take the line out from a guitar amp...

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Yeah, I have proper recording interfaces and performance gear at home, but I like the idea of being able to play casually or showcase something real fast without worrying about having any other gear with me.

A case would probably do it. Thanks for the tip.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I really want to replace my aging iPad 3 with an Air 2, but on the other hand the iPad 3 still works pretty drat well and those rumors of an iPad Pro just don't go away. Goddamn you rumor mill! :arghfist:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I really want to replace my aging iPad 3 with an Air 2, but on the other hand the iPad 3 still works pretty drat well and those rumors of an iPad Pro just don't go away. Goddamn you rumor mill! :arghfist:

I upgraded from a The New iPad to the air 2 and the difference is incredible. I would do it if I were you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, same here. I feel like using mine a lot more now, too, because the iPad 3 felt so incredibly heavy compared to the Air 2. I still have an iPad 3 around the office to use as a test device and it feels like a brick now.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am really thinking about upgrading from my Mini 1 to an Air 2. It's so light and thin!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Choadmaster posted:

I went from an iPad 3 to an Air last year and it was amazing. But I always thought the 3 was underpowered anyway (stuttering notifications, sluggish response). Going to an Air 2 will rock your world.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

I don't know about the vibration but the 16gb is basically useless at this point.

I don't know why anyone would buy a 16gb iPad, what a useless turd.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

hedgecore posted:

The vibration is probably some sort of resonance speaker where the ipad is using the whole body as a sound booster thing for better/louder sound.

You can actually buy such a thing and attach it to any surface to make sound :v: (it's also great for annoying your neighbours by attaching it to the adjacent wall and turning their whole wall into a speaker).

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, same here. I feel like using mine a lot more now, too, because the iPad 3 felt so incredibly heavy compared to the Air 2. I still have an iPad 3 around the office to use as a test device and it feels like a brick now.

Exactly. That thing was so heavy compared to this. The Air 2 is also unbelievably thin and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So I need to fill the hole in my soul with empty consumerism, and I'm thinking of upgrading from a 2 to an Air 2. Can I just walk into a store and grab one, or is anyone seeing backlogs or wait times?