Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My friends family runs a little pizza place in Naples, woodfired, hole in the wall. Everything is bought fresh at the markets, or grown. They do alright.

I know 5 Italian chefs who would beat you to death for saying Pizza is american. They have been cooking Pizza in Naples for about 300 years, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah!

It's Greek.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
No you idiots, pizza is Korean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Speaking of food, Condiment King. Should appear in Arrow. Why not?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Mr. Bliss is in the Season Zero comic. Somebody out there must really like Starman.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

My Q-Face posted:

Pizza in Italy is pretty fantastic, but it's not actually Italian, it's reverse imported from the U.S. Also it's more of an appetizer than a main meal, so idiots maybe?

What the gently caress are you talking about? Napoli claims to be the birthplace of pizza, and I believe them. Totally different to anything in the US. And they serve very thin 15 -20 inch pizzas by default, definitely a main course, if a rather informal one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

wooger posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Napoli claims to be the birthplace of pizza, and I believe them. Totally different to anything in the US. And they serve very thin 15 -20 inch pizzas by default, definitely a main course, if a rather informal one.

He's talking about the pizza in the form of Pizza Hut or Domino's or whatever. Italian pizza is NOT your traditional American Pizza (which is generally what you think of when you think pizza) by a long shot, and is in fact not nearly as good as literally everything else in Northern or Southern Italian cuisine.

Going to Italy for the Pizza is like coming to America for the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - aka loving retarded.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I suppose he could be correct if you restrict your definition of pizza to that fat greasy topping layered obscenity that deluded people refer to as pizza in America, and specifically exclude actual pizza.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

I suppose he could be correct if you restrict your definition of pizza to that fat greasy topping layered obscenity that deluded people refer to as pizza in America, and specifically exclude actual pizza.

i would restrict my definition because a paper thin layer of dough with huge 1/4 chunks of tomato and cheese on top is not a pizza even if they have been making it in that wrong way for 300 years. Like would you whine that cave paintings are the REAL way to make art since they did it in such a screwed up and bad way a long time ago? Come on. Call Dominoes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i would restrict my definition because a paper thin layer of dough with huge 1/4 chunks of tomato and cheese on top is not a pizza even if they have been making it in that wrong way for 300 years. Like would you whine that cave paintings are the REAL way to make art since they did it in such a screwed up and bad way a long time ago? Come on. Call Dominoes.

It's a bit like when British people put together a concoction of minced beef, onions, mushrooms and cumin and attempt to call it chilli. They can call it whatever they like, but it isn't chilli. The crap served as pizza in most of the world isn't pizza.

There are fairly specific rules that define what a pizza is, and there is an organization that certifies establishments that meet them. Proper pizzas are vastly superior to horrible greasy concoctions with 15 bazillion toppings. Personally, I don't visit any establishment that doesn't adhere to those regulations exactly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a bit like when British people put together a concoction of minced beef, onions, mushrooms and cumin and attempt to call it chilli. They can call it whatever they like, but it isn't chilli. The crap served as pizza in most of the world isn't pizza.

There are fairly specific rules that define what a pizza is, and there is an organization that certifies establishments that meet them. Proper pizzas are vastly superior to horrible greasy concoctions with 15 bazillion toppings. Personally, I don't visit any establishment that doesn't adhere to those regulations exactly.

Nobody gives a gently caress

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, gently caress franchise pizza joints and gently caress "artisanal" pizzas. If it doesn't come from a Mom and Pop hole in the wall with dead flies in the fluorescents and grease on the floor I don't even wanna hear about it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Seriously. I'm sure whoever invented the abacus was a swell guy, that doesn't mean he gets to take credit for my iPhone. Welcome to the future, Lord Bude. It's full of fat people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

Going to Italy for the Pizza is like coming to America for the Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - aka loving retarded.

My mother makes badass grilled cheese sandwiches you dick.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

The Flash - 8PM Tuesday - The great Pizza Debate.

I'm liking the show so far, would catching up on The Arrow increase my enjoyment, diminish it, or not affect it in the least?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

djwetmouse posted:

I'm liking the show so far, would catching up on The Arrow increase my enjoyment, diminish it, or not affect it in the least?

It probably wouldn't affect your enjoyment of this show too much, but Arrow is a drat good show on its own merits. It's definitely worth a watch; just keep in mind that it has a weak opening and you'll be fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

djwetmouse posted:

Well there's going to be a crossover episode later in the season; but given that Arrow is pretty much the best show on television catching up would be an absolute good in its own right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As an authority on this subject I agree Italian pizza sucks.

However that's not exactly common knowledge and a lot of people think it must be great in Italy, so my ruling is the scene is Fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But what's the best pizza to eat while watching The Flash?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Pepperoni, Black Olives and Jalpenos.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

But what's the best pizza to eat while watching The Flash?
Whatever local place you got nearby, sicilian cut, plain, maybe black olives or mushrooms if you are feeling adventurous... what? I don't like meat on my pizza.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The correct answer is you don't eat any pizza at all.

Because you're fasting.

:D

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Freschetta self rising crust supreme.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

wooger posted:

Yeah when I was in Rome 4 years ago pizza was definitely main course. Really good pizza btw, I didn't know the italian for plain pizza, so I got mushroom pizza instead. Top of the line.

What really needs to come to America is cibata bread with black olives embedded in them, that was sooooo go :btroll:

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Can't the flash run on water? So technically he could spend a few hours and go to Italy to get his pizza. And that's how you kill a derail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fragmented posted:

Can't the flash run on water? So technically he could spend a few hours and go to Italy to get his pizza. And that's how you kill a derail.

He could but he's better off staying here.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fragmented posted:

Could you imagine having to run on cement that was in the shape of ocean waves? That's ankle breaking territory, dude.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I knew I should have put "No Pizza chat" in the OP. I post in the NYC thread. I know better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When pizza chat is outlawed...only outlaws shall discuss pizza!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

I knew I should have put "No Pizza chat" in the OP. I post in the NYC thread. I know better.

Would be about as effective as the "no comics chat" that is actually in there.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Phylodox posted:

Because you're fasting.

I think I mist this pun somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Because you're fasting.

:golfclap:

Show's over folks. Go home.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jscolon2.0 posted:

This thread exists in the universe where you never did that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ever been to Keste in the village? That's some pizza.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I just realized that Central City/Keystone City can't be St. Louis surrogates like I'd always thought, because they eat their pizza in triangles like human beings.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jscolon2.0 posted:

I just realized that Central City/Keystone City can't be St. Louis surrogates like I'd always thought, because they eat their pizza in triangles like human beings.

Aren't they supposed to be the Twin Cities in Minnesota?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Star is Seattle, metropolis and gotham both NYC(gotham occasionally chicago too), coast is San Diego. I missing any?

Well Hub I guess is Kansas City?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the irl cities exist in the DCU along with the fake cities. Metropolis isn't a stand in for NYC; NYC also exists.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Star is Seattle, metropolis and gotham both NYC(gotham occasionally chicago too), coast is San Diego. I missing any?

Well Hub I guess is Kansas City?

Hub is based on East St. Louis. Where they filmed Escape from New York, because it was easy enough to find burned out and demolished buildings there instead of having to build sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

All the irl cities exist in the DCU along with the fake cities. Metropolis isn't a stand in for NYC; NYC also exists.

Yes, but conceptually, they are all still copies of major American cities.

• Locked thread