Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, WoD MU*s were insane. But they were good fun if you could just ride along with the insanity. It's pretty much like reading those awful Dresden Files books? Everything is ridiculous, nothing really makes sense if you analyze it for more than the few seconds it takes to read it, and everyone is a perfect 10, gun fighting, super cool ace.

But it's a fun ride, especially when you're a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ElBrak posted:

Why couldn't any cool poo poo happen whilst i was playing LOTJ.

LOTJ is like weeks of waiting between a couple hours of cool. You have to really time stuff like that or orchestrate it all yourself.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Armageddon chargen posted:

[some kinda MUD faux pas to show stats]

I have no idea what I'm doing but that seems okay for fighty types. Let's try this, they say there's an undo after all..

> reroll self

Armageddon chargen posted:

[some kinda MUD faux pas but holy poo poo man]

Uhhhh, I don't think 'average' is actually as average as they say on their docs. Or I won some kinda secret lottery. Or stats matter less than I think. Or I'll still die to the first desert-thing.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 5, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No, those are some pretty drat good rolls.

As a note, it's considered bad form to share this. But for a newbie just getting into it, it's not a big deal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

nucleicmaxid posted:

The art is just free art contributed by some player.

There are about 40-60 people on a night. US primetime is the biggest time, obviously. There's also a bit of a peak of 20-30 around early morning-midday for European primetime. It never really gets below 20, except really late at night when the US is asleep, and Europe is at work.

They just had a big RPT (event) there there were like 90 people at a time on though.

I generally never see below 15-20 people online, even in European midday hours (early morning for US). European prime time (after 8pm) runs about 30+ people. If you're playing in a non-standard/non-US time zone, your best bet is to roll a character in Allanak, since that's where most of the Europeans are.

18 Character Limit posted:

Uhhhh, I don't think 'average' is actually as average as they say on their docs. Or I won some kinda secret lottery. Or stats matter less than I think. Or I'll still die to the first desert-thing.

Yeah, those are really good rolls. Try not to die too quickly (ie: don't venture outside the cities alone until you've spent a good while training your combat skills, ideally with the Byns or one of the Great Merchant Houses).

vvvv Whenever my current dude dies, I might roll in Tuluk and give it another shot. Gonna be rough as a Euro TZ player though, but not impossible.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Most PEOPLE are in Allanak, period. I'd love to see Tuluk populated, but it's got about 1/3rd the population on average.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bieeardo posted:

WoD games. WoD games are the reason why I always ducked and covered whenever someone brought up the specter of CCP's Vampire: the MMOsquerade project. I've played it tabletop, played it here a couple of times, LARPed it during my distant, misspent youth, and narrowly dodged a bullet when I was invited to join a cabal of Sailor Moon themed Sons of Ether by someone who I think was a Vampire sphere-wiz on the same game. I think playing WoD on a scale any larger than a half dozen people is a terrible idea, based on LARPs where the movers and shakers descended on anything that smelled of plot and spirited it away, and staff was thin on the ground. Building games around supporting an entire rainbow of mutually antagonistic splats with varying innate power levels, plus mortals, plus X, Y and Z support spheres, plus dedicated staff for each of them... isn't making a game, it's constructing a small business-- a business loaded to the gills with managers, which makes nepotism and territoriality not just a threat, but a promise. Even if the politics don't end up toxic, you're still likely to end up playing the telephone game instead of yours when spheres or sub-wizzes come into contact. It just doesn't scale for poo poo. LARP, at least, you can buttonhole a staffer and they won't fake a network outage.

In my sole oWoD LARP experience I ended up eventually getting appointed Sheriff of the city despite having minimal combat stats (my thinking was 'I can hire combat monkeys as deputies, I don't need to do any actual fighting, gently caress that'). Later on, when I left the position, one of the Storytellers told me, "Man, I miss the days when you were Sheriff. I never had to work to get plot out into the game. I just threw it at you and you told everyone else to go deal with it." It made me sad to realize that that wasn't the standard; that many people were plot hoarders.

oWoD MU*s often functioned the same way - two or three people would sit on plot and not bother letting anyone else know, to the point where staff would have to throw plot at otherwise unrelated people just to get some forward motion - but in that case, in my experience, it was less because people were hoarding the plot and more because they were text-loving for weeks at a time.

Some of the best roleplaying of my life happened on oWoD MU*s; when they were good they were very, very good. It's just that they were almost never good. It was like buying a scratch ticket and winning a hundred bucks; you knew the odds were low that you'd ever get that lucky again, but you just kept on buying those fuckin' tickets.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Some of the best roleplaying of my life happened on oWoD MU*s; when they were good they were very, very good. It's just that they were almost never good. It was like buying a scratch ticket and winning a hundred bucks; you knew the odds were low that you'd ever get that lucky again, but you just kept on buying those fuckin' tickets.

I had a flatmate in college who was hugely into a WoD MU* a few years ago. I want to say it was set in Vienna? I don't know to what extent he actually got involved in the plotting or anything, but I remember he was pretty proud of his Nosferatu schemer dude who wore a top hat and mudsexed freckly gingers.

That was my first real exposure to creepy MUDsex stuff, and it was enough to turn me off RP muds for a few years.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

oWoD MU*s often functioned the same way - two or three people would sit on plot and not bother letting anyone else know, to the point where staff would have to throw plot at otherwise unrelated people just to get some forward motion - but in that case, in my experience, it was less because people were hoarding the plot and more because they were text-loving for weeks at a time.

One of the storytellers in my final LARP ended up doing that kind of thing because of all the plot-hoarding. He'd wander the venue and if he found someone alone... zap. Mysterious call on their cell, a clue somehow missed after an event the Primogen Council swept up, creepy encounter while hunting for the night. Something fragmentary, strange, and just threatening enough that they'd want to thin the risk or ask for backup. Since there was a general, low-level resentment of the Council for declaring everything big to be their business before loving off to chambers, that spread tended to happen along clan and coterie lines instead of going straight up or being sat on. He was only one person, and there were at least thirty of us, so even that was like winning a hundred on scratch tickets, to borrow DCB's turn of phrase.

Only got that kind of personal treatment once or twice, but I stuck around until that one folded up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Drone posted:

I had a flatmate in college who was hugely into a WoD MU* a few years ago. I want to say it was set in Vienna? I don't know to what extent he actually got involved in the plotting or anything, but I remember he was pretty proud of his Nosferatu schemer dude who wore a top hat and mudsexed freckly gingers.

That was my first real exposure to creepy MUDsex stuff, and it was enough to turn me off RP muds for a few years.

Ugh I played with that guy. He was decent enough OOCly but he was super creepy ICly and I disliked him. Cannot, for the life of me, remember his Nosferatu's name.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Guess I could give Armageddon a shot. The drama snafu with UL right when I was really getting into it kind of soured me on MUDs more than I expected.

Seems like that's a theme, really; I get really into a particular MU* and then something lovely happens and I drop MUDs entirely for a while.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ugh I played with that guy. He was decent enough OOCly but he was super creepy ICly and I disliked him. Cannot, for the life of me, remember his Nosferatu's name.

It's a small mudding world. He told me the name of it once and I completely forgot, I want to say it had something to do with his top hat or something.

Also he taught me his way of getting out of an RP-heavy mud event without consequences (should something IRL pop up) was to say something like 'ooc Sorry, my kids really want to play with their dad'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Drone posted:

It's a small mudding world. He told me the name of it once and I completely forgot, I want to say it had something to do with his top hat or something.

Also he taught me his way of getting out of an RP-heavy mud event without consequences (should something IRL pop up) was to say something like 'ooc Sorry, my kids really want to play with their dad'.

Other popular ones are 'sorry unexpected company' or 'just got a call, friend popped a tire out in the boonies and doesn't have AAA.'

Or just d/c and then claim, later, you lost power/internet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use the classic "sorry but you're loving boring" excuse

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

I use the classic "sorry but you're loving boring" excuse

That one tends to have consequences, sadly.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ellbent posted:

Guess I could give Armageddon a shot. The drama snafu with UL right when I was really getting into it kind of soured me on MUDs more than I expected.

Seems like that's a theme, really; I get really into a particular MU* and then something lovely happens and I drop MUDs entirely for a while.

UL had some really cool moments, but a core made of bad staff decisions.

Armageddon concerns me as I'm likely to die just by not understanding the emote interpolation with () [] ^ $ % and accidentally resisting arrest from it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

UL had some really cool moments, but a core made of bad staff decisions.

Armageddon concerns me as I'm likely to die just by not understanding the emote interpolation with () [] ^ $ % and accidentally resisting arrest from it.

When you first get on, type 'nosave arrest' this means you won't fight back if arrested. Also, most players are completely accepting of newbies and will help you out with syntax and such.. even if, ICly, they're ripping you off while they do it. Being an RPI means there's a pretty good IC/OOC separation for most people.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

occamsnailfile posted:

I played on a Final Fantasy game which 2010 me would never have believed and was actually really sad that the flat-out obstructionist disinterest of the staff ran it clear into the ground after a strong start.

Do you remember which game it was? I know a lot of people who played on shithouse FF MU*'s and landed on Rogue Republic, so now I'm curious.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

nucleicmaxid posted:

When you first get on, type 'nosave arrest' this means you won't fight back if arrested. Also, most players are completely accepting of newbies and will help you out with syntax and such.. even if, ICly, they're ripping you off while they do it. Being an RPI means there's a pretty good IC/OOC separation for most people.

isnt nosave arrest on by default now

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

isnt nosave arrest on by default now

I dunno, maybe?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Speaking of MUSH drama, I trust people have been following the mass player exodus from Shang?

That's, what, lowest amount of players in five years?

I've been pretty lucky to never experience much MUD drama, really. HellMOO had tons but crazy IC shenanigans and player whining as a result of it isn't really the same thing. I think my favorite MUD drama related stuff is just how petty, passive-aggressive and flat out weird people get and they don't think you'll notice. It's weird how, with a hobby based around text interaction, very few people actually communicate. Of course, I can't imagine getting so worked up that I'd indulge in those sort of behaviors around a roleplaying textgame.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There's apparently a current drama bomb exploding on/around SWMud, if the Facebook player group is any indication. Apparently one of the players (the spergiest sperg who ever sperged) blew up on a very visible thread on MudConnect after being jailed for starting some harassment drama.

Why are MUD people so bad?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Given weird cyber makes the world go 'round, I'd be curious to see what those Shang numbers look like in another couple of months. September-October was like the Little Boy of drama bombs there.

Drone posted:

Why are MUD people so bad?

I think it's because a lot of us are already short on social skills, and the lack of any sensory cues beyond raw text just amplifies that. Throw in some sunk cost and geek social fallacies and you've got the start of a really smelly stew.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

I think it's because a lot of us are already short on social skills, and the lack of any sensory cues beyond raw text just amplifies that. Throw in some sunk cost and geek social fallacies and you've got the start of a really smelly stew.

Bingo.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Speaking of MUSH drama, I trust people have been following the mass player exodus from Shang?

I've been pretty lucky to never experience much MUD drama, really. HellMOO had tons but crazy IC shenanigans and player whining as a result of it isn't really the same thing. I think my favorite MUD drama related stuff is just how petty, passive-aggressive and flat out weird people get and they don't think you'll notice. It's weird how, with a hobby based around text interaction, very few people actually communicate. Of course, I can't imagine getting so worked up that I'd indulge in those sort of behaviors around a roleplaying textgame.

Hellmoo drama seemed to always be admins getting really pissed at an unruly population and the population going 'gently caress THIS'

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Luceid posted:

Do you remember which game it was? I know a lot of people who played on shithouse FF MU*'s and landed on Rogue Republic, so now I'm curious.

Final Fantasy MUSH? I get it mixed up with the other one that (may) still exist in a wobbly equilibrium of crazy.

ETA: There's like a year and a half at least between the end of FF MUSH and the beginning of RR, though some people from assorted anime-ish games did come by.

Also re: Shang exodus, I cannot believe how many people are getting seriously butthurt over a policy that characters have to appear at least 16 or whatever, that...upsets me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

So I asked a friend I know logs in there. Apparently, it's because they raised the lowest allowable age from 13 to 16. I'm unwilling to log in and see them, but he said there were even big threads of people bitching about it.

:ninja: edit: Playing MUSHes means you meet weird people. :smith:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Also re: Shang exodus, I cannot believe how many people are getting seriously butthurt over a policy that characters have to appear at least 16 or whatever, that...upsets me.

wait they allowed that previously what

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I blame Changeling: The Dreaming basically entrenching "Child characters are totally a thing that people should play" on dozens of lovely paint-by-numbers Changeling-only WOD MU*s.

VVV Let me just say there are stories and leave it at that.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2014

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I'm pretty sure I can safely say that Changeling: The Dreaming has little to do with the prevalence of child characters there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

I blame Changeling: The Dreaming basically entrenching "Child characters are totally a thing that people should play" on dozens of lovely paint-by-numbers Changeling-only WOD MU*s.

One of my early online WoD characters was a childling because I figured that would be a good way to avoid creepy sexual nonsense.

:negative:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nothing good ever came out of something named "X: The Y" :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pham Nuwen posted:

Spaceballs: the Flamethrower :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

nucleicmaxid posted:

So I asked a friend I know logs in there. Apparently, it's because they raised the lowest allowable age from 13 to 16. I'm unwilling to log in and see them, but he said there were even big threads of people bitching about it.

:ninja: edit: Playing MUSHes means you meet weird people. :smith:

Yep. Apparently staff got really tired of investigating reports of characters who were... underdeveloped for their age. Bulletin boards were gridlocked with people pissed over being punished for other people being even creepier, and people cheering staff on for forcing them out.

This is apocryphal, but there's a story that Shang's original age floor of twelve was installed because... I'm having trouble writing this in a way that won't get me put on a watch list. Spoiled, because... seriously, ugh. Someone pcreated a four year old character with a rape fetish. When people refused to give in to its player's demands that they... play, its player dropped it in the central IC meeting room and proceeded to emote the graphic time-lapse pregnancy, birth and development of a spoofed child, which would turn on its parent and repeat the nauseating cycle until staff nuked them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Drone posted:

Spaceballs: the Flamethrower :colbert:

gently caress

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

a fire upon: the deep

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

Yep. Apparently staff got really tired of investigating reports of characters who were... underdeveloped for their age. Bulletin boards were gridlocked with people pissed over being punished for other people being even creepier, and people cheering staff on for forcing them out.

There was over four hundred posts on the public bboard for the first month of the decision being made.

It's kind of disgusting that so many people got so upset by what, really, should be an obvious rule. No child characters on a game about sex.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Pham Nuwen posted:

excuse you :mad:

Hey nucleicmaxid or someone who knows anything about Armageddon: can you explain what the stats all do? The website like every other MU* website I've ever seen is kind of not very helpful in terms of explaining which stats are useful for what.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Nurel posted:

I'm ok with hilarious cybering game mechanics (like in HellMOO), but I cannot abide to playing among RP cybering pubs. I loathe them completely, I wish to see them cry.

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Reene posted:

excuse you :mad:

Hey nucleicmaxid or someone who knows anything about Armageddon: can you explain what the stats all do? The website like every other MU* website I've ever seen is kind of not very helpful in terms of explaining which stats are useful for what.

strength affects damage and (I'm pretty sure on this but I could be wrong) chance to hit. it's the most important combat stat, followed by endurance, which your HP and stun levels are based on, as well as resistance to being reeled/poisoned/magicked. agility governs chance to hit as well I believe, as well as the number of attacks you make per round, and your chance to dodge. wisdom affects skill growth and mana levels for magickers primarily.