Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

Just pick a midwestern governor at random, that's who's going to beat Hillary. I really do believe that the "will do anything to get elected" charge is going to stick to her, hard.

Because being passionate about her country and wanting to lead it - thats totally going to be a black eye for her.

The only people who could make that attack would be the Republicans, and they are going for the much more nuanced and subtle "She's old, and feeble - gently caress her!" and full scale white hot misoginystic rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Because being passionate about her country and wanting to lead it - thats totally going to be a black eye for her.

The only people who could make that attack would be the Republicans, and they are going for the much more nuanced and subtle "She's old, and feeble - gently caress her!" and full scale white hot misoginystic rage.

Eh, he last campaign was basically a joke. Maybe I didn't look deep enough into it but it was all slogans and no substance. I thought it was ineffective and hilarious more than anything. She sure as hell sounded like she's sacrifice a thousand goats and all the firstborn in Nebraska to win, though. We'll see if she does better this time around but I for one wouldn't get my hopes up after that last god awful campaign.

That being said I'm really, really hoping that Warren runs. Can I vote for her, please? PLEASE?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, he last campaign was basically a joke. Maybe I didn't look deep enough into it but it was all slogans and no substance. I thought it was ineffective and hilarious more than anything. She sure as hell sounded like she's sacrifice a thousand goats and all the firstborn in Nebraska to win, though. We'll see if she does better this time around but I for one wouldn't get my hopes up after that last god awful campaign.

That being said I'm really, really hoping that Warren runs. Can I vote for her, please? PLEASE?

You realize last time she only ran a primary campaign and she and Obama agreed on 95% of the issues, right? No poo poo the primary campaign was substance-less, so was Obama's.

Warren would only run if Clinton needed her to run as a prop.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Hillary is still hugely divisive but she's also been the least controllable major Presidential candidate with the most balls since at least her husband (:v:) and I think the best we can realistically do for the foreseeable future. She still sucks corporate cock (:v:) which makes all of this a sad loving state of affairs but unlike a lot of leftists, I'm not an accelerationist and would prefer her to a Republican in the White House.

I am the anti-Sedan Chair.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Warren is not running as long as Hillary is. Honestly, odds are she will never run if Hillary does and becomes president, since Warren is already 65. Her time is either now or never (if running for President).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Warren is not running as long as Hillary is. Honestly, odds are she will never run if Hillary does and becomes president, since Warren is already 65. Her time is either now or never (if running for President).

I liked the last Warren court....

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCXVCAHrgI

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Which Republican is a better candidate than Hillary Clinton? Jeb Bush is probably the least dirty, but him not being a complete lunatic about immigration is going to result in some primary season hilarity.

If you go to the lower Midwest, you'll find a belt of Republican governors - Kasich, Pence, Heineman - who are popular in their home states, well-liked by both the Tea Party and the Establishment, and haven't (publically) done anything dumb enough to get them ridiculed on the national stage yet. The Republican establishment will trot out one of these guys if Jeb doesn't run. They aren't better candidates than Hillary (she has more name-recognition, more connections, isn't a member of the process-the-poor-into-fertilizer party and would eviscerate any of them in a debate), but if the Republicans make the environment sufficiently toxic over the next couple of years, one of them could coast to victory on the back of "well, look how bad the democrats done did" sentiment. Particularly if Hillary is as bad at mobilizing the Democratic base as some people assume she will be, though I tend to think folks are overtly pessimistic there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm feeling the O'Malley O'mentum.

Gah, thought I was in CanPol and Kady was running for something.

On US presidentiaal primaries, I'm rooting for Diamond Joe.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I know but I can still hope. Of all the people I see on the potential slate she's the one I like the most and the one I would vote for the hardest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I agree 100%. I had the opportunity to meet with her at a private fundraiser here in Orlando, and she's the real deal.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Her primary campaign against Obama helped start birtherism.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chantilly Say posted:

Her primary campaign against Obama helped start birtherism.

Obama being black is the root cause of Birtherism.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Just pick a midwestern governor at random, that's who's going to beat Hillary. I really do believe that the "will do anything to get elected" charge is going to stick to her, hard.

MIGF has me pretty certain that Rauner will be the next president...

edit: :ironicat: I hope

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skwirl posted:

Racism wasn't sprung fully formed from the head of Obama's blackness.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Trabisnikof posted:

Nominating a justice older than 60? Are you nuts?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

I so badly want Cruz to be the nominee so I can watch the Clinton machine grind him into dust like he so richly deserves.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Ninjasaurus posted:

I so badly want Cruz to be the nominee so I can watch the Clinton machine grind him into dust like he so richly deserves.

Then Hillary strokes out or some poo poo and we get President Cruz by default. No thanks. Someone sane for the Republican ticket please (lol).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You realise there's this thing called the vice president, right?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

You realise there's this thing called the vice president, right?

I meant before election day, should have been clearer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MC Nietzche posted:

Then Hillary strokes out or some poo poo and we get President Cruz by default. No thanks. Someone sane for the Republican ticket please (lol).

If Hillary strokes out during the campaign then her running mate gets the sympathy vote.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Ninjasaurus posted:

Clinton machine? She's likely to hire loyal idiots rather than effective managers and she can't go a week without saying something stupid lately.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MC Nietzche posted:

I meant before election day, should have been clearer.

So did I. Whoever is Hilarys VP will still have her resources and her connections if Hilary dies, and will still crush Cruz like a bug.

Mitt Romney posted:

Clinton machine? She's likely to hire loyal idiots rather than effective managers and she can't go a week without saying something stupid lately.
And by stupid you mean objective reality?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
RandPAC isn't wasting any time.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

I can't wait for candidates to start pandering to a state that just elected a Sarah Palin knock off.

The scary thing isn't that some ultra-crazy tea party chick is now improbably a senator for Iowa, the scary thing is that Iowa(and Florida and a bunch of other purple-ish swing states) now have Republican governors. The Senate isn't going to get much of an opportunity to gently caress around with the machinery of democracy, state and local politicians will and you can bet your rear end the GOP will take the opportunity to do so if it arises.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think 2014 makes a strong case for Warren '16, actually. She was the only Democrat of prominence to put together anything like a coherent message on the economy. Hillary and other Democratic leaders can rattle off the occasional stump speech applause line about raising the minimum wage and equal pay for women, but it stops there because to go further into the causes of the middle class's malaise is to start discussing the role our parasitic rentier elite(and, of course, their bought politicians) have played in creating it. Going from talking points to an agenda strong enough to define your campaign means taking on the banks, Warren can do that and Hillary doesn't seem to be willing to.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 6, 2014

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
My biggest issue with Hillary is that if she is elected it will be a repeat of Bush handling of Palestine, insisting it's an issue that should be solved by Israelis and Palestinians, while practically endorsing the settlements and blaming the Palestinians for not accepting whatever scraps being offered to them. Obama have been toothless in handling Israel but at least he have raised the notion that Israel is not genuine in participating in the peace process.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Skwirl posted:

No, it's not, but this is one of the few issues where the D&D "lol IT'S BECAUSE HE'S BLACK!!!" obsession is actually accurate. In most other situations you can't find him being treated any worse than Bill Clinton and in many cases better, but the "He's not *truly* American" is one of the few gambits that's entirely about him being black and having an African father.

That said, it did not sprout from the ground, it started somewhere and that somewhere was the Hillary Is 44 forums and her campaign. So, yes, it was her campaign that started it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Mitt Romney posted:

Well if anyone would know, it's Mitt Romney. :v:

The Insect Court posted:

I think 2014 makes a strong case for Warren '16, actually. She was the only Democrat of prominence to put together anything like a coherent message on the economy. Hillary and other Democratic leaders can rattle off the occasional stump speech applause line about raising the minimum wage and equal pay for women, but it stops there because to go further into the causes of the middle class's malaise is to start discussing the role our parasitic rentier elite(and, of course, their bought politicians) have played in creating it. Going from talking points to an agenda strong enough to define your campaign means taking on the banks, Warren can do that and Hillary doesn't seem to be willing to.

I still don't see in this analysis how you go from "I like Warren better" to "The election results strongly suggest she was lying and is now much more likely to run against Hillary".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

My biggest issue with Hillary is that if she is elected it will be a repeat of Bush handling of Palestine, insisting it's an issue that should be solved by Israelis and Palestinians, while practically endorsing the settlements and blaming the Palestinians for not accepting whatever scraps being offered to them. Obama have been toothless in handling Israel but at least he have raised the notion that Israel is not genuine in participating in the peace process.

So she'll be just like every other U. S. President since Truman.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

RandPAC isn't wasting any time.

Oh good, this stuff still makes my blood boil and actively makes me want to volunteer for Hillary when I was considering sitting 2016 out.

Keep it up, GOP, you'll have us young'ns out to the polls in no time!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

Keep it up, GOP, you'll have us young'ns out to the polls in no time!

Well, 18-20% of us, anyway. (Optimistically)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slate Action posted:

Well, 18-20% of us, anyway. (Optimistically)

Can't be worse than Florida state elections this year when the Democrats literally ran a Republican candidate for governor.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Can't be worse than Florida state elections this year when the Democrats literally ran a Republican candidate for governor.

It was the final evolution of Clintonian "move right to steal GOP voters" philosophy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Here's the think folks don't get about the Clinton Machine: Its a glacier.

The next 6 to 9 months will be crucial for Clinton loyalists fighting to analyze 2014 and determine when Hillary should announce and how far to the center she should go.

Hillary won't do anything until she thinks she knows why Ds lost 2014 so hard.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
^^^ Ugh that was like a horrible mix of Thomas Friedman and Dick Morris. I could see their brows knitting as they worked their revelation out.

Radish posted:

It was the final evolution of Clintonian "move right to steal GOP voters" philosophy.
Haha. Yeah in the final version it's just "hey let the GOP win, but like ON PURPOSE"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Radish posted:

It was more "The Florida State Democratic Party is more poo poo than the california GOP, and at least this guy won an election and wasn't completely terrible."

I mean, it was that or run Sink again. And with the turnout model of this election she'd be lucky to get within 200k. The florida dem bench is so thin it's not really a bench but more of a stool with the seat ripped off.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

OAquinas posted:

I mean, it was that or run Sink again. And with the turnout model of this election she'd be lucky to get within 200k. The florida dem bench is so thin it's not really a bench but more of a stool with the seat ripped off.

Would Patrick Murphy, my hero for beating Allen West, be a good candidate to take on Rubio?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

OAquinas posted:

It was more "The Florida State Democratic Party is more poo poo than the california GOP, and at least this guy won an election and wasn't completely terrible."

FL-13 (most of Pinellas County and a slice of Tampa) had no Democrat on the ballot for Congress this year. That still blows my mind.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Ganon posted:

Would Patrick Murphy, my hero for beating Allen West, be a good candidate to take on Rubio?

Gwen Graham. Now a congresswoman, from North FL where Dems can pick up extra votes, beat a Republican, Graham name. She might be better off running for gov in 2018 though.

Come to think of it, a governor may play well to insulate the nominee from Obama if he stays in the toilet, but aside from Cuomo (nope), Hickenlooper (almost lost), OMalley (his LG lost bc of his tax policies, most likely), and Deval Patrick (maybe?), I can't think of one who'd ever rationally be interested.

Schweitzer's going nowhere.

Yep, time to just bring back Howard Dean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So the man who killed Osama Bin Laden has been agreeing to interviews and will probably be in the headlines for saying awful, awful poo poo. If the GOP can figure out a way to get him to run for President he'd win with 70% of the vote.

• Locked thread