Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that Latinos split pretty evenly for both candidates will probably discourage a lot of national money from coming into BGT. The whole thing is precipitated on a belief that Texas Hispanics would turn en masse toward Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas still had a lovely awful turnout, so a good turnout operation would probably make a difference. I guess the BGTX/Wendy combo wasn't the right thing to get their attention, though.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

99% of precincts reporting but you get the idea.

33.57% statewide turnout according to SoS.

I was deputized to register voters in Bexar county and wonder how many of the voters I registered actually voted (no way I could ever find out). Also, I wonder how many of them actually completed the registration, since everyone just took the mail-in form and said they would fill it out later.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

karlor posted:

I was deputized to register voters in Bexar county and wonder how many of the voters I registered actually voted (no way I could ever find out). Also, I wonder how many of them actually completed the registration, since everyone just took the mail-in form and said they would fill it out later.

Is that turnout of registered voters or turnout of eligible voters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

It's almost 14 million people and I doubt there are 14 million registered to vote in Texas so I assume the latter.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Badger of Basra posted:

Registered actually. SoS doesn't have the numbers from Tuesday on their site but as of the primaries in May we had 13,601,324 registered voters. So we probably have around 14 million registered now.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/historical/70-92.shtml

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

karlor posted:

Registered actually. SoS doesn't have the numbers from Tuesday on their site but as of the primaries in May we had 13,601,324 registered voters. So we probably have around 14 million registered now.

:eyepop:

Shockingly low turnout, then. I guess BGTX can register but not turn people out?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

karlor posted:

Wow!

I didn't realize the population was 26 million now :psyduck:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Most of the people I talk back home and here just don't have the time or think it's pointless. Party platforms need to change in a major way ,maybe even new parties and we need to make sure people have time to vote.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Most of the people I talk back home and here just don't have the time or think it's pointless. Party platforms need to change in a major way ,maybe even new parties and we need to make sure people have time to vote.

I'd also like a pony.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno about these optics guys.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pretty funny how he's basically cancelling Perry's economic sponge program because he thinks government shouldn't choose winners in business, when literally every government on earth does. Doubly :wtc: because somebody in class whom I figured for a hippie was actually libertarian and believed that nations shouldn't promote tourism.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Pretty funny how he's basically cancelling Perry's economic sponge program because he thinks government shouldn't choose winners in business, when literally every government on earth does. Doubly :wtc: because somebody in class whom I figured for a hippie was actually libertarian and believed that nations shouldn't promote tourism.

He'll probably set something different up, but I don't think he wants to be attached to the mess that is TEF.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shear Modulus posted:

I'd also like a pony.

What needs to be done and what can be done are two different things here.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dante Logos posted:

I took it a good number of BGT people took the election results badly. Where does the organization go from here?
There's a Tribtalk podcast from the next morning that's interesting. One of the problems with BGTX is that they mobilized the right by coming into Texas and saying "hey, we're the Obama machine and we're going to come here and turn Texas blue!" And then closely associating themselves with the Davis campaign, which never knew how to handle them. So they really did make the election a referendum on Obama.

The other thing is that Texas Dems really have nothing to lose at this point. So Evan Smith wondered why they don't just run hard to the left on a roll-up-the-sleeves, barn burning progressive populist campaign next time. Because why not?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because politicians are chickenshits who only care about getting reelected?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

There's a Tribtalk podcast from the next morning that's interesting. One of the problems with BGTX is that they mobilized the right by coming into Texas and saying "hey, we're the Obama machine and we're going to come here and turn Texas blue!" And then closely associating themselves with the Davis campaign, which never knew how to handle them. So they really did make the election a referendum on Obama.

The other thing is that Texas Dems really have nothing to lose at this point. So Evan Smith wondered why they don't just run hard to the left on a roll-up-the-sleeves, barn burning progressive populist campaign next time. Because why not?

Someone send that into TDP because they obviously don't know what the gently caress to do with themselves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Every major election cycle some big group of outside money comes in and tries what BGTX tried. Meanwhile, you have the TDP that can't do poo poo and the liberal donors in Texas have their own campaign team too. So now you've got 3 campaign teams and none of them really have shared goals.

Badger of Basra posted:

Someone send that into TDP because they obviously don't know what the gently caress to do with themselves.

See here's the problem. The TDP != BGTX != The Davis Campaign.

The TDP is entirely a losers' guild at this point. That is to say, the drama gets the fiercest when there's nothing of value to fight over. They take a "you come to us" attitude about candidates and races.

So you have the Davis Campaign and the liberal in-state donors that have over the years created a side-network to campaign and recruit like a party usually does.

Then you have the out-of-state OFA-lite (since OFA learned a bit of their lesson in 2012) BGTX, which comes in and act like Texas is a battleground state, when it patently isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It cannot be overstated just how big a kick in the balls the Latino vote breaking evenly was.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

If you want Texas to become a purple state, you need to encourage and allow Republicans to go ahead and do things that really piss off Hispanics.

The current strategy of assuming Hispanics will vote for Democrats because they're colored people and then blaming stupid Hispanics for not knowing what's good for them is hilariously racist and futile.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Correct only the conservative members of us vote with any regularity. In Texas it's very much a "why bother" attitude when you know the guy in the literal chair is calling you, your friends, and family from the third world.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

karlor posted:

If there was higher turnout, would a Wendy Davis win have been possible?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randandal posted:

If you want Texas to become a purple state, you need to encourage and allow Republicans to go ahead and do things that really piss off Hispanics.

The current strategy of assuming Hispanics will vote for Democrats because they're colored people and then blaming stupid Hispanics for not knowing what's good for them is hilariously racist and futile.

I don't think they need any encouragement. Patrick ran on border security.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Depends on who they turned out for :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No, but it's almost 100% certain that higher turnout during the Republican primaries would have resulted in Dewhurst keeping his place over Dan Patrick.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

The TDP is entirely a losers' guild at this point. That is to say, the drama gets the fiercest when there's nothing of value to fight over. They take a "you come to us" attitude about candidates and races.
A friend of mine who works in politics described to once that the TDP is comfortable where they are. Old-timers in urban and border seats who have been sitting there forever and are perfectly happy with the status quo.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Unironically equating border security with racism is another reason why most people don't take Democrats seriously.

Yeah some Republicans sometimes say some stupid racist things. So do some Democrats. Either way I don't know about you but I've been around long enough that I don't pay any attention to what politicians say. If they're not doing anything, who cares?

Political media organizations like to blast headlines "BREAKING NEWS: SOMEBODY AFFILIATED WITH A POLITICS PARTY IN SOME WAY SAYS A STUPID THING" and people who pay too much attention to political news tend to overestimate how much voters actually give a poo poo about that sort of irrelevant bullshit.

And then the political partisan types wring their hands about why they can't connect with independent voters while poopooing an independent voter's attempts to explain why this is happening, and calling the independent stupid.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 6, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also Evan Smith went lol at "smartass West Austin Democrats" or something like that who voted for Patrick in the primaries because Leticia had it in the bag, and Patrick was the opponent they wanted. Well, they got what they wished for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randandal posted:

Unironically equating border security with racism is another reason why most people don't take Democrats seriously.

Haha if you think that the newly Tea Partied as gently caress Legislature is going to do sweeping border security reforms without horrible racism you're nuts.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Randandal posted:

And thus Republicans will continue to stay the gently caress out of the White House.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Also Evan Smith went lol at "smartass West Austin Democrats" or something like that who voted for Patrick in the primaries because Leticia had it in the bag, and Patrick was the opponent they wanted. Well, they got what they wished for.

Did anyone actually do this? I know Democrats who voted for Dewhurst but none who voted for Patrick.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Haha if you think that the newly Tea Partied as gently caress Legislature is going to do sweeping border security reforms without horrible racism you're nuts.

Half of all voting Hispanics in Texas seem to think so. ^:shobon:^

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No lol, Craig Watkins might have kept his DA post and his county owned Porsche in Dallas County though! (I really hope that Susan Hawk continues the Innocence Project enthusiastically as that was the only reason I wanted to keep Watkins)

Omi-Polari posted:

Lol what an idiot, but maybe he's playing the long chess game the same way I was when I voted for Cruz in the primary. If a Republican is going to win no matter what, why not try to get the craziest Republican available so that the GOP brand might be hopelessly damaged by the next election cycle?

If the Legislature goes as hard right as some fear it will, then you actually will have an entire generation of Hispanics who hate the GOP irreversibly. They need to back up their words with action though, and it's gotta be some real racism, not just closing up the border like it's supposed to have been all along.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Another reminder that Wendy Davis lost half of the 18-29 vote.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Did anyone actually do this? I know Democrats who voted for Dewhurst but none who voted for Patrick.
Don't know.

computer parts posted:

Another reminder that Wendy Davis lost half of the 18-29 vote.
And Dan Patrick won Hispanic men 53-46.

:captainpop:

Randandal posted:

Lol what an idiot, but maybe he's playing the long chess game the same way I was when I voted for Cruz in the primary. If a Republican is going to win no matter what, why not try to get the craziest Republican available so that the GOP brand might be hopelessly damaged by the next election cycle?

If the Legislature goes as hard right as some fear it will, then you actually will have an entire generation of Hispanics who hate the GOP irreversibly. They need to back up their words with action though, and it's gotta be some real racism, not just closing up the border like it's supposed to have been all along.
The thing is, though, is that the Republicans are really, really good at message control in Texas. Dan Patrick noped out of saying drastic things during the campaign. They're more disciplined and savvy than this thinking suggests.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Don't know.

The thing is, though, is that the Republicans are really, really good at message control in Texas. Dan Patrick noped out of saying drastic things during the campaign. They're more disciplined than this thinking suggests.

Cruz has been every bit the saboteur I hoped for and then some

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Don't know.

The thing is, though, is that the Republicans are really, really good at message control in Texas. Dan Patrick noped out of saying drastic things during the campaign. They're more disciplined and savvy than this thinking suggests.

I think Randandal is saying if what they implement, policy-wise, is so obviously targeted at demonizing Hispanics that no one can deny it, then it won't matter what they say. I don't know if they'll go that far, though. They resisted having an Arizona-style show us your papers law.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If Abbot can resist Un-constitutional Arizona type laws, he probably won't be too bad. Too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Will Abbott be the one choosing, though? Patrick isn't as dependent on him as Dewhurst was on Perry (especially last session).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Will Abbott be the one choosing, though? Patrick isn't as dependent on him as Dewhurst was on Perry (especially last session).

In practice, the Governor's veto cannot be overturned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a bad loss and you know what that means: leaked memos.

quote:

“The campaign is in disarray and is in danger of being embarrassed,” Cari and Dougherty wrote in a lengthy memorandum on Jan. 6. “The level of dysfunction was understandable in July and August, when we had no infrastructure in place — but it doesn’t seem to be getting better.”

Addressed to then-Campaign Manager Karin Johanson, the memo warned that the Davis campaign had “lurched to the left,” was failing to communicate a positive message and offered virtually nothing to the swing voters the senator would need to win statewide.

“There is not a model where a candidate who appears this liberal and culturally out of touch gets elected statewide anywhere in the south — much less in Texas — without some inoculation,” the consultants said.

They wrote that the campaign was failing to portray Davis “like a Texan” and had turned her into a generic Democrat who would only have a chance in a state with a recent history of electing Democrats. The party hasn’t won a statewide election in Texas since 1994.

“Running Wendy Davis as a generic national Democrat is not only the quickest path to 38 percent, it’s also a huge disservice to Wendy, her record and the brand she has built,” they wrote. Davis got 38.9 percent of the vote, compared with the 59.3 percent of voters who cast ballots for Abbott.