Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'm downloading it now. If its the same level from HyperJapan, then yeah, you kinda just stumble through the stage until you come across the exit. It wants to be Metroid, and it has a few ideas, but with the speed, the loading times, and sheer length, it just feels... eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It was alright, I had some fun with it towards the end of the level. It wasn't really anything groundbreaking though, if I do get the game it won't be at full price.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I just played the demo after having put zero research into the game beyond knowing it exists. My one sentence critique is that it feels like they took Sonic from "gotta go fast" to "gotta go somewhere".

I was just wandering around the levels without any real sense of aim or purpose and constantly screwing up the controls. When did Sonic get a run button? Why did Sonic get a run button? Why not a walk button instead? His only mode should be running. He's Sonic the Hedgehog! :argh:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

How much did you play? I actually kind of liked it.

It starts off slow and awkward, but once you get past the really basic tutorial stuff and you're chaining together homing attacks and laser-swings and dash attacks it starts feeling pretty fun I think. I can imagine later levels getting pretty interesting.

I don't know if I'd pay full price for it, though. It feels like one of those indie metroidvanias with Sonic slapped on.
I played through the whole thing, I didn't try out every character fully because I don't even.
It's just a bunch of little things really, you can't crouch, not turning into a ball when you jump, having a run button, taking away your control during some sections for no discernible reason, and the whole character switching thing pretty much ensures every level will be designed like poo poo.

I don't get why they never seem concerned with having a smooth framerate either

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

.TakaM posted:

I played through the whole thing, I didn't try out every character fully because I don't even.
It's just a bunch of little things really, you can't crouch, not turning into a ball when you jump, having a run button, taking away your control during some sections for no discernible reason, and the whole character switching thing pretty much ensures every level will be designed like poo poo.

I don't get why they never seem concerned with having a smooth framerate either

How the gently caress did any of this make it past conception? How is any of this part of a Sonic the Hedgehog game?

THE SONIC CYCLE IS BACK, BABY!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

THE SONIC CYCLE IS BACK, BABY!

I dunno, I thought the game looked pretty meh even when it was announced. The Wii U one might be a little better, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Definitely not buying the 3DS version after playing the demo though, holy poo poo that was bad.

Sonic Team please announce whatever PS4/Xbone game you're making, it HAS to be better than this. Please.

Seriously, Knuckles can't even glide or climb walls in this. How the hell do you gently caress that up. That's like his thing. That was what made him play differently from Sonic and Tails in S3K. HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP.

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 6, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Xad posted:

Seriously, Knuckles can't even glide or climb walls in this. How the hell do you gently caress that up. That's like his thing. That was what made him play differently from Sonic and Tails in S3K. HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP.

I can't imagine he's very aerodynamic.

Tails and Knuckles used to be as good, if not better than Sonic, but it's been so long since they were fun to play. Tails was great in Sonic Adventure, and Knuckles controlled really well in SA2. If you glitched him into a Sonic or Shadow stage, you could see he's easily capable of running as fast as them, only he has to build it up rather than use a spindash, lightspeed dash or homing attack.

I'd love a game with SA2 Sonic, SA1 Tails and SA2 Knuckles, all going through the same levels. At least the Sonic Advance games kept all their advantages, including their special moves from the Adventure games. Knuckles could even swim.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The 3DS one is by a completely different developer, so there's still hope of the Wii U version not being garbage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The 3DS one is by a completely different developer, so there's still hope of the Wii U version not being garbage.

You haven't seen it, have you? It's even worse.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
My main gripe about the demo is WHY IS THE LEVEL SO LONG? It took me around 13 minutes on my first try, and I tried to just go for it as fast as possible. I like that there is the "sprint" which works like the dash in other games except it's another way to pass specific obstacles (namely, dissapearing platforms), not something used to move fluidly across the level. There are a lot of parts where you try to go fast for a bit, and you're greeted with a pit or a chest-high ledge to the face. So it's like they had the qualities of Sonic on paper, but haven't played any games besides Sonic Rush and said "Man this is too fast". The character switching is not that good either, I used Sticks and Knux exactly once in the whole level. And yes, there are moments where you chain multiple homing attacks and enegry-beam-thing swings, but they are few and far between.
Unlike the modern version of Green Hill Zone which had it all - speed, spectacle and flow. Hell, even the Generations remake of the 2D version of that stage was awesome, how hard can it be to recreate something like that on the 3DS?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

I just played the demo after having put zero research into the game beyond knowing it exists. My one sentence critique is that it feels like they took Sonic from "gotta go fast" to "gotta go somewhere".

I was just wandering around the levels without any real sense of aim or purpose and constantly screwing up the controls. When did Sonic get a run button? Why did Sonic get a run button? Why not a walk button instead? His only mode should be running. He's Sonic the Hedgehog! :argh:

This is a very silly post.

Instead of being outraged about how they're not following your ideal of what a Sonic game should be (This isn't even part of the main series, and Sonic games can be whatever the gently caress they want anyway), you could be outraged about the actual problems it has. Like how the level design is all over the place, or how Sonic's ability is completely OP and you have to use him for 95% of the level. Or how about those parts where you wait 10 seconds for the character to go through a pretty fun looking speed section on autopilot. And the level is 20 loving minutes long with no sense of pacing, it just ends at some point. Oh, and my favorite: tacked on touch controls like a real DS shovelware game!

Essentially, after playing the demo I still have no clue what kind of game this is trying to be. They kind of try to make it like a traditional 2D Sonic game with the spindashes and homing attacks but then the entire rest of the design is almost completely at odds with how Sonic plays. So you end up with a hot mess of ideas.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The 3DS demo felt really chunky. Here's a chunk where you'll whip out one character for a moment before switching back to Sonic because there are so many air dash blocks to get through. The other characters didn't really get a lot of time to breathe besides activating their contextual button. Who knows, maybe it being the first level meant that their puzzle introductions had to be boringly simple. :shrug:

I don't really have anything else to say that's already been said. It was long, it was clunky. The controls get in the way of feeling like there's a flow.
Also, I know a game can do whatever, but it's Sonic. There's no way around wondering why the game isn't as fast as people feel or think it needs to be.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat, five months ago posted:

The 3DS version looks absolutely terrible - the gameplay is slow and every piece of footage so far has been full of stodgy jumping and movement. The more traditionally Sonic-style sections seem to just be cool-looking transitions from one section to another with the same kind of non-physics as the spindash from Lost World.

I don't know why any of you are surprised; it looked like poo poo back then as well.

That said, I still think the Wii U version is looking pretty serviceable.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Played the demo last night: Surprisingly, the main stage isn't the one from the previous demo I played, so that was interesting. And... being honest, I found the first two thirds of the level - as in, where its linear and closed enough that the map you have is actually useful, whilst the small detours don't throw things off too much - to be decent, though you really do have to remember to press the sprint button to make things pass by. Like, from the instant you land, and if you manage it right, it can actually feel rather smooth, though you do risk dropping into or hitting something. And, initially, the scenery changes felt like they had a vague sense of progression to them

But the last third of the stage (going off a rough estimate since I have little clue how 'far' actually correlated to time elapsed, and I took about ten minutes) is where it really dropped the ball for me. The level opens out too much for the map to be of use, the game suddenly remembers it has other characters it wants you to use and thus grinds things to a halt to show them off (though at least they presented a continued Sonic course for, I presume, speed runners), and the end of the level is just... there. There's no sense of climax to it. And whilst the scenery shifts from the enerbeam hops (to cover loading times of course, which may even include the enerbeam flick) work at first to make you think 'yeah I'm going somewhere', by the end things have repeated so much, and with the same damned hut whenever you go to the coastal bits, that it seems hard to immediately realise you've gone to a new area once more instead of returning to the same area. The sense of progression was lost, where even in the likes of Lost World, in most levels, you knew you were getting somewhere, and vaguely towards what (not that either of those were always exactly engaging).

In other words, it was better than I thought it'd be at the start, then proved exactly as bad as I remembered by the end. And I suspect, like with the werehog, the sheer length is for padding purposes. The tunnel sections seem like they could be interesting if there's enough creative energy to make them into a matter of reacting fast enough, but if they're just lengthier, sped up versions of what we already have, its gonna get annoyingly repetitive real quick. The race... I kinda got into it, given there's no need for character switching, but I certainly wouldn't want to build a game around it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
After trying out the demo, the fact that you have to hold down a run button completely kills this game. I could see the game being pretty good, cause it didn't play too bad, and all the moves of the characters were fine (although Tails slowly falling instead of flying was stupid) but the fact that you constantly have to hold down a run button while also having to juggle the attack button and the grapple button is stupid. It's too much. Just loving let me run by default, why is Sonic's default speed not "RUN". I don't get it. It even solves problems like the bottomless pit garbage where you just fall and die. In this you get warped back up to the platform and lose rings, but you don't die. The controls just ruin it though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is there a Wii U demo out yet? I could imagine it is better than the 3DS one.

Also, sprint button for a Sonic game sounds like a horrible idea.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This doesn't really play like a sonic game. It plays like a game made for a TV show. The TV show just happens to be about sonic.

The controls are odd in that all four face buttons are used. If dash was the R button it would feel more intuitive.

It's not really a bad game. It just a mediocre TV cash in title. There's actually some interesting ideas here but it's just really surface level stuff that's only half baked.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 6, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Macaluso posted:

After trying out the demo, the fact that you have to hold down a run button completely kills this game. I could see the game being pretty good, cause it didn't play too bad, and all the moves of the characters were fine (although Tails slowly falling instead of flying was stupid) but the fact that you constantly have to hold down a run button while also having to juggle the attack button and the grapple button is stupid. It's too much. Just loving let me run by default, why is Sonic's default speed not "RUN". I don't get it. It even solves problems like the bottomless pit garbage where you just fall and die. In this you get warped back up to the platform and lose rings, but you don't die. The controls just ruin it though.

Actually, funny thing, you don't have to hold it down. Just double checked it, but all you have to do is press the button once, and you keep running.

The game's not good at telling that, I imagine.

Edit: Oh, and according to the sega twitter, a demo for the Wii U version comes out early december. Yes, december. After the game has come out.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 6, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

Actually, funny thing, you don't have to hold it down. Just double checked it, but all you have to do is press the button once, and you keep running.

The game's not good at telling that, I imagine.

Wow the game doesn't make that clear at all.

Not that it matters too much. It stops letting you run if you hit something, or if you turn, or do like... anything. So you have to keep hitting it each time you want to start running. It's bonkers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Wow the game doesn't make that clear at all.

Not that it matters too much. It stops letting you run if you hit something, or if you turn, or do like... anything. So you have to keep hitting it each time you want to start running. It's bonkers.

And of course, its a metroidvania style game (or trying to be), so...

I think part of it is that they didn't want to have the basic running speeds of the characters vary too much, though Sonic is (as racing can show) faster with his sprint than others. As a result though, because the others move normally (relatively speaking), Sonic moves, well, slow for someone like him - and since its not always clear where you should tread more carefully, or just run like hell, some players probably end up taking longer than they should do because they just don't know.

I mean, part of why the boost worked out in Unleashed to Generations was because you could see ahead, because 2.5D camera, so you could roughly figure 'yeah that's clear, I can just boost'. That and the boost was 'superfast' on top of 'quick', not 'fast' on top of 'a light jog'.

I mean, I feel a bit unfair when the supposed intent is not just be a 'Sonic' game, and lord knows other blue coloured game heroes haven't gone for whole other genres, but given what they have kept, the comparisons just kinda come up.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You can see they tried to deal with this, but only in the sense that you don't die when you fall into a pit, you get put back on the nearest ledge and lose rings. The camera is a little too zoomed in as well.

It looks like a good $5-10 title.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, this is happening:

quote:

So alright, just a bit of background on this project, it's being worked on by a veteran of the industry, so when he gives estimates as to how long this will take to finally reach people, understand that it's an expert giving you those time frames.

The problem with the release in possession is that it's a series of zip file backups from 1996 along with a clone image of a person's entire development PC. What's going on now is that we're piecing together the environment exactly as the people working on Sonic Xtreme had theirs so that we can build their code. If you're unfamiliar with what a development environment is or how one works, you might want to take a look at my Dreamcast game thread. I have neglected it (sorry, but I haven't forgotten!) so all that is there right now is a tutorial for building a development environment from scratch to build dreamcast games with.

This guy is trying to piece together a Nvidia NV1 development environment the same way, only with infinitely less resources available to him. Even worse, he's jumping into someone's source code that is non-commented and undocumented and only half complete. Parts of the source, for example, expect files to be in exact locations on the computer - which is fine, but it takes time to set up his computer to build like that.

He already has a skeleton build working, by commenting out basically everything he can build an executable that calls the NV1 library and does absolutely nothing. It's going to take a few weeks before we can build a fully functional executable, but the exciting thing is that we have everything possible to do so.

The guy has an NV1 in the mail going to him, along with some saturn development equipment. This is a hobby for us, not a job, so keep in mind that getting this stuff to a state where anybody can play it will take time, but the most important thing is we have this in our possession. It will never be lost again.

Now, onto the specifics of what I got to see - namely the source code. I can confirm with my own two eyes that this is indeed the real deal source and it's crazy. We have 5 builds of this from various states of Ofer's work. Early on, we have a partially completed build where Ofer was in the middle of transferring his work over from a software renderer he built to the actual NV1 hardware, which is where we think we can get the software renderer working again. Everything actually builds from the same source - saturn, PC, and mac - but it's the absolute thinnest abstraction layer you could possibly imagine. Functions like "draw polygon" overloaded with the brunt of the work being done in these sorts of calls, lol.

So, midway through these builds, you can see the source transform into something more dependent on the NV1, and the build options whittle to PC and Saturn, ditching mac, and eventually to PC only. You can evidently get this running on a saturn no problem using a cartdev kit (the dsk images don't contain the actual binary, only the peripheral files to be loaded through the serial port on the saturn) but it runs at like 3 fps. Eventually, the build options whittled down further to just PC.

Now, the craziest part - 4 months after the final build we have from Ofer, we have another build from POV of a never before seen Sonic title for the saturn. We don't think this title has ever been shown off or mentioned before. We don't even know what it looks like yet because we can't build it until the environment is complete. But there is likely at least one more major surprise in this find.

I saw the code for the level editor, it's built right into the engine. The assets folder even includes icons for the level editor we never noticed before, but now suddenly make sense. They do things like map surfaces onto the cubes.

This guy basically wants a buffer between the starving crowd of people and himself, mainly because he does this out of pure love for coding and preserving games. Jollyroger himself is a great guy, sounds passionate in the same ways I am passionate about games and development. He is weary of people getting upset that this release is taking too long and, you know, doing dick 4-chan stuff like finding out his email address and messing with him. So, going forward, Andrew75 and I will be the between guys for him and the community. All releases will go through us and if you have comments or questions, direct them our way. We will be the ones who eventually package and release these files, but not today. This will take a few weeks to get in people's hands, but we definitely want to share.

I have some pictures but I can't share them at the moment because they're mainly of the source code itself. However, if my credibility has ever meant anything, trust me when I say that this is absolutely, 100% real. We finally have Sonic Xtreme, now we just have to prep it for release.

Source

Tl;dr: Sonic Xtreme's source code has been found, people are working their asses off on releasing multiple builds by piecing old code together. This might be the biggest news in the Sonic prototype scene since the Sonic 2 Beta.

It's gonna take a long while until they actually make a playable build, but it's gonna be a worth the wait.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Stink Terios posted:

So, this is happening:

Source

Tl;dr: Sonic Xtreme's source code has been found, people are working their asses off on releasing multiple builds by piecing old code together. This might be the biggest news in the Sonic prototype scene since the Sonic 2 Beta.

It's gonna take a long while until they actually make a playable build, but it's gonna be a worth the wait.

This is loving awesome.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Aaand the Shattered Crystal demo's already being speedran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMU2xGU-ym8

Seems like it's gonna be an interesting speed game at least.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

That's... pretty impressive, I'd say, especially since its a complete run of all the items and bonuses.

Though with all the grunts and such, you'd think it was an episode of power rangers.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Stink Terios posted:

So, this is happening:

Source

drat, that's really really cool. I know a lot of people say "hey, Xtreme probably would've sucked anyways," but now we'll actually know for sure.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

Someone in this thread said the game feels "chunky" and I think this video shows why. All that speed that it has is completely stopped to a halt by the air dash thing that literally stops your character in midair for like a full second before you you dash in a particular direction. Not even the submarine part really feels like it stops the action like that does.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You haven't seen it, have you? It's even worse.

I haven't seen much of it since E3, so it might be bad? I'm not really sure. But unless it's being made by literally the same developer, I think it's wildly unfair to take the quality of the handheld version, made by a different developer, as a sign that the console version will be just as bad, especially when handheld versions of console releases are empirically poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel bad for this thread because literally everyone giving impressions is saying the Wii-U version is complete and utter trash while the 3DS one is miles better.

Seeing as people hate the 3DS version it seems well... I don't think the Wii-U is going to be okay.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel bad for this thread because literally everyone giving impressions is saying the Wii-U version is complete and utter trash while the 3DS one is miles better.

Seeing as people hate the 3DS version it seems well... I don't think the Wii-U is going to be okay.

The TV show looks pretty bad, too. That new character is like nails on the chalkboard.

So much for this sub-brand, I guess. Fingers crossed the next real Sonic game is Generations 2.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Having played the Wii U version, I have the overall opposite impression of the two, though neither is gonna be a high water mark for the series, to say the least. If these things warrant sequels, its gonna be for the sake of tying into the show, ala Ghostly Adventures.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hey, don't pity me, I've gone into maximum schadenfreude mode. This terrible Boom spinoff will crash and burn, we'll get a new terrible Sonic game to mock in the LP forum, and either Sega will wise up and only make good Sonic games with the formula they perfected in Generations or just retire Sonic forever, both are viable options at this point.

Sonic's had a good run and Generations would have made for a perfect goodbye, but instead of we got the choppy, unpolished shitshow that was Lost World and it seems Sega's bound and determined to drive their mascot into the ground with unnecessary experimentation.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

The TV show looks pretty bad, too.

I will fight you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I will fight you.

It really does look poor, even by the standards of other cartoons. Reminds me of the early-oughts CGI craze when you had hilariously off stuff like Code LYOKO on the air.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

It really does look poor, even by the standards of other cartoons. Reminds me of the early-oughts CGI craze when you had hilariously off stuff like Code LYOKO on the air.

I may have been missing some commercials due to Cartoon Network currently being blacked out on my TV provider, but are we really talking about the same thing here? Apart from the new character being awful, it looks really, really good.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

What is wrong with his voice? Too much angry grunting and not enough adrenaline junkie 'tude.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Lizard Wizard posted:

I may have been missing some commercials due to Cartoon Network currently being blacked out on my TV provider, but are we really talking about the same thing here? Apart from the new character being awful, it looks really, really good.

The new character is so bad that it will bring down the entire series. She's just that bad.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Amppelix posted:

This is a very silly post.

Instead of being outraged about how they're not following your ideal of what a Sonic game should be (This isn't even part of the main series, and Sonic games can be whatever the gently caress they want anyway), you could be outraged about the actual problems it has.

I don't really have an "ideal" Sonic game. I'm not a huge Sonic fan, although I loved Generations and All-Stars Racing (which isn't really a Sonic game). However don't you think there's a certain expectation from anything with "Sonic" in the title? You expect to run fast and use enemies as spring boards to continue moving forward instead of having to stop and remove their shells with the grappling beam you borrowed from Samus or jet forward with a move only Sonic has making 75% of the cast useless.

Like you said, it's just a hot mess of ideas without any refinement. The only time you run fast is during 5 second cutscenes of Sonic running through a loop and you aren't in control. Otherwise you're exploring samey looking areas with no specific goal in mind other than to find a mechanical pod thing and press A on it. If you come across a section in which Sonic can't proceed, you use one of the other characters as a key to move past so you can return to playing as Sonic. It fails on a lot of levels but marketing it as a Sonic game is part of it, I think. If I were blitzing through levels and using that grapple beam to continue my momentum or swapping to Knuckles to climb higher or Tails to hover over pits, swapping on the fly, it could have been really fun. Instead, I played what people were trying to liken to a Metroidvania, only instead of unlocking new items to unlock new areas, I started with everything unlocked and was dumped into a series of identical looking sections.

They're allowed to make the game whatever they want, yeah, but maybe they should have figured out what they wanted first.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Oxxidation posted:

I will fight you.

Show is going to own bones, even if the games suck we're getting that and the comic out of this whole schebang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Is the brand revitalized yet?

• Locked thread