Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Can we please not have another pissing contest about winrar vs 7zip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Pissing me off: the last deploy I did before going on vacation was rolled back the following morning because QA didn't QA enough and there's still a bug in it. It's not even QA's fault; we have 8 developers and 2 QA engineers, and there's literally not enough hours in the day if they worked 24/7 to catch everything, but this is literally the third rollback of this "must go out now now now" codebase that somehow still can't get enough QA time on it to actually make sure it's up to spec.

Ugh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Can we please not have another pissing contest about winrar vs 7zip?

There's no contest. WinRAR's an outdated piece of poo poo and 7zip is free. No one needs to make RAR files anymore because it ain't 1999.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's no contest. WinRAR's an outdated piece of poo poo and 7zip is free. No one needs to make RAR files anymore because it ain't 1999.

WinRAR is still updated, unless I'm missing your point here. 7zip is a perfectly decent bit of software, though, no argument there.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

WinRAR is still updated, unless I'm missing your point here. 7zip is a perfectly decent bit of software, though, no argument there.

The absolutely only things WinRAR does that 7Zip doesn't is
1) Cost money or nag you
2) Create new RAR files.

Since noone needs either of those, there's no reason not to use 7zip or frankly your OS' built in zip and other compression handling.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
7z's GUI is awful compared to WinRAR's, though, and 7z's compression can be much slower that RAR for certain files.

But in most cases you never deal with the GUI (right click -> extract) and the speed delay rarely matters, so 7z works just fine for everything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I paid for Total Commander because it is awesome.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

I paid for Total Commander because it is awesome.

If you only ever pay for one piece of share ware it should be Total Commander.

we bought a license for every person in the IT dept. in my old-old job.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I clicked Peazip instead of 7zip at ninite.com once and was slightly confused for about 10 seconds. True story.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Pudgygiant posted:

I learned a very valuable lesson today to never tell "that guy" about GNS3. No, I won't give you IOS copies from our TFTP server. No, I won't help you set it up beyond telling you it's easy to Google for. No, you can't use my special-flower Linux box for IOU. Jesus loving christ, it was every 5 minutes. I don't have high hopes for him and his CCNA.

I've never heard of GNS3 so I went to their website. I got a very nice story about how a guy made a startup that was going to CHANGE THE WORLD! Told me literally nothing about what GNS3 is or does, had to google "what is gns3" and got a summary from wikipedia. I think that is the definition of how NOT to make a website.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
You're sure you went to the right website?

It's pretty clear-cut at http://www.gns3.com/

Edit: Remember that GNS3 is the company name as well as the product. Clicking "About GNS3" is the company profile.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

I learned a very valuable lesson today to never tell "that guy" about GNS3. No, I won't give you IOS copies from our TFTP server. No, I won't help you set it up beyond telling you it's easy to Google for. No, you can't use my special-flower Linux box for IOU. Jesus loving christ, it was every 5 minutes. I don't have high hopes for him and his CCNA.

The first time you fire up GNS3 while doing any Cisco studying, "A Whole New World" starts playing loudly.

I don't blame the guy for getting all excited. :shobon:

Of course, I just installed the newest version and can't get routers to save their configs in it, but whatever.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Stealthgerbil posted:

I thought a zip file was a zip file. What is winzip doing differently now?

Whatever they did to it, 7zip would not open it. Their answer was "just use winzip." So I used a trial of winzip in a VM and then rolled it back to get rid of all the other poo poo winzip comes with.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just use 7zip though. No one ever has reason to create a RAR, but 7zip can read them and every other compression pretty much and it's 100% free.

This was before 7-Zip, grasshopper.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Goddamit, Amazon, I want to like you, but if you create poo poo like:
- the link for SDK for PHP version actually leads to Java version (I wondered about this for a couple of minutes - "Am I to run this as a java service, or whaaaaat? What am I even considering, this can't be right")
- on the other hand, actually searching PHP SDK using their search gives me 1 result - getting started, where the invalid link leads to.
- oh wait, there's another search here - https://payments.amazon.co.uk/help/. Ok, downloaded the correct SDK. Now let's look at the integration guide - 404 Not Found (soooo, is this correct integration guide, ooor are those pages that I shouldn't be able to find - nope, I can directly navigate from main page to the 404 in 3 clicks).
- to actually develop for the payments I have to buy an account. So in reality, even though I won't be using it, I still have to pay for the account to test it.
- to actually integrate payments you have login into separate account. So, you have your seller account and then you have your application console. There's no link to it, search doesn't find it, there's no mention how to find it in the documentation. It just says to go from your seller account into "some menu > application console". Some menu doesn't exist. Mate of mine who actually dabbled in Amazon integration knew where to find it, and that's why I proceeded further.
- the code they provide has syntax errors (and I'm tired)
- of course when I'll follow the steps described in the integration I get "An error occured". No any additional information. (will have a talk with Amazon people tomorrow on what actually the error is...)
- and of course testing it on sites that already have it integrated (to determine what it actually is capable of) works once out of five times (once it crapped itself with XML error). Once it produced JS error. 2 times it just didn't work without any apparent reason.

Of course some of the above is nitpicking, and I'm currently more going through it than actually integrating it, but I hoped for something understandable/correct :(

canis minor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 5, 2014

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
YOU'LL PRY WINRAR FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Inspector_666 posted:

The first time you fire up GNS3 while doing any Cisco studying, "A Whole New World" starts playing loudly.

I don't blame the guy for getting all excited. :shobon:

Of course, I just installed the newest version and can't get routers to save their configs in it, but whatever.

In the new version you have to save the whole activity FIRST, before you do anything, or it'll blow it all away and save it blank. So save it as mytestactivity or whatever, THEN do all your gui poo poo and configs, then do wr and SAVE THE ACTIVITY AGAIN. You can tell I'm not frustrated at all and don't get bitten by that unintuitive bullshit still after 6 or so months of using definitely production ready version one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pudgygiant posted:

In the new version you have to save the whole activity FIRST, before you do anything, or it'll blow it all away and save it blank. So save it as mytestactivity or whatever, THEN do all your gui poo poo and configs, then do wr and SAVE THE ACTIVITY AGAIN. You can tell I'm not frustrated at all and don't get bitten by that unintuitive bullshit still after 6 or so months of using definitely production ready version one.

:what:

Why the gently caress...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off today: error codes from Microsoft software. Thanks, WSUS, but "Error 0x80whatever" is not an appropriate substitute for "can't find /Selfupdate on http://WSUS_server's_FQDN:80", especially when all of the settings are pointing to port 8530 (which has the directory in question). What's the point of having obscure error codes instead of just displaying what the problem is in human-readable format? Job security through obscurity?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 6, 2014

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Oracle Database SQL Reference - Datatypes posted:

ROWID Datatype

Each row in the database has an address. You can examine a row address by querying the pseudocolumn ROWID. Values of this pseudocolumn are strings representing the address of each row. These strings have the datatype ROWID. You can also create tables and clusters that contain actual columns having the ROWID datatype. Oracle Database does not guarantee that the values of such columns are valid rowids. Please refer to Chapter 3, "Pseudocolumns" for more information on the ROWID pseudocolumn.

Oracle Database SQL Reference - Pseudocolumns posted:

This chapter contains the following sections:

Oracle Database SQL Reference - ROWID Pseudocolumn posted:

Values of the ROWID pseudocolumn have the datatype ROWID or UROWID. Please refer to "ROWID Datatype" and "UROWID Datatype" for more information.

Almost as bad as Java's javadocs. At least the PL/SQL datatypes documentation provides some information on what a ROWID actually is and how to interpret the string representation.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 6, 2014

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

You're sure you went to the right website?

It's pretty clear-cut at http://www.gns3.com/

Edit: Remember that GNS3 is the company name as well as the product. Clicking "About GNS3" is the company profile.

I found a description at the bottom of that page :shobon: I mistook the company profile thinking it was the product description!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

poo poo that really pisses me off: Why is it so hard to find a decent, yet competitively-priced laptop?

It's not even like my demands are that outrageous. All I want is enough performance for 1080p playback, an IPS* display with a decent resolution (ie. 1600x900 and up) that isn't bloody huge (14" or less), has decent battery life (6+ hours) and decent build quality (hinges and keyboard in particular).

Yeah, I know this is basically a stealth "find me a laptop" post, but it really is ridiculous how there are apparently no mid-class laptops with good displays. And even if such a thing exists (some of Lenovo's Yoga models come close), they're completely non-upgradeable, so have fun with obsolete hardware I guess.

I know my T42 cost like $1700 10 years ago when I bought it, and that's probably because it's built like a brick shithouse. I just thought things would have gotten cheaper by now, especially displays.

* (Or a non-lovely TN display, if such a thing even exists)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
poo poo pissing me off.

I have way too many tickets. I am being told in writing that I need to have updates of substance on most of them by the end of the day. I am being asked about training - what training I would like, what I need to serve my customers etc. The last time I had training I got in trouble and was pulled out of training for failing to update my cases while I was in training.

I am sitting here trying to figure out if the training question is some sort of loyalty test and the correct answer is "I would not think of requesting training if it would keep me from satisfactorily updating my tickets."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's because in comparison to the slobbering idiots that buy laptops, comparatively nobody wants a nice screen.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It pisses me off that I can get a phone with a 5-inch screen that has a better resolution than a 17-inch laptop.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

poo poo that really pisses me off: Why is it so hard to find a decent, yet competitively-priced laptop?

It's not even like my demands are that outrageous. All I want is enough performance for 1080p playback, an IPS* display with a decent resolution (ie. 1600x900 and up) that isn't bloody huge (14" or less), has decent battery life (6+ hours) and decent build quality (hinges and keyboard in particular).

Yeah, I know this is basically a stealth "find me a laptop" post, but it really is ridiculous how there are apparently no mid-class laptops with good displays. And even if such a thing exists (some of Lenovo's Yoga models come close), they're completely non-upgradeable, so have fun with obsolete hardware I guess.

I know my T42 cost like $1700 10 years ago when I bought it, and that's probably because it's built like a brick shithouse. I just thought things would have gotten cheaper by now, especially displays.

I found a 14" acer haswell that has a 1920x1080 ips display and nvidia optimus so if I'm not playing games the haswell + igpu sips the battery.

It was less than 1k and met all my criteria but I'm not happy with the build quality or the physical location of the power button.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KozmoNaut posted:

XPS13
MacBook Pro
Yoga

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

The laptop megathread will probably tell you such a thing doesn't exist for <$1000 at the moment. Size and battery life are what push those specs in the $1000+ range.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

XPS13
MacBook Pro
Yoga

I have a Yoga 2 and its super high DPI screen is amazing plus the folding into a tablet is nice for couch surfing. It was also $750 refurbed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mewse posted:

I found a 14" acer haswell that has a 1920x1080 ips display and nvidia optimus so if I'm not playing games the haswell + igpu sips the battery.

It was less than 1k and met all my criteria but I'm not happy with the build quality or the physical location of the power button.

The closest thing I can find is the V5, but that's a 15.6" model. Acer is very price-competitive, but their build quality has always been poo poo. I'm actually surprised they even offer an IPS display.

Bob Morales posted:

XPS13
MacBook Pro
Yoga

#1 is $1900, way too expensive for a Dell.
#2 Apple = no.
#3 is on my very short list of possible candidates.

Ynglaur posted:

The laptop megathread will probably tell you such a thing doesn't exist for <$1000 at the moment. Size and battery life are what push those specs in the $1000+ range.

I must have missed the laptop thread, perhaps there's some gold to be found there.

Honestly, I'm slowly coming to accept that if I want laptop that can match my old one in longevity and sheer quality, a Thinkpad T or X is probably the only way to go. If only they weren't so ridiculously expensive.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KozmoNaut posted:

I must have missed the laptop thread, perhaps there's some gold to be found there.
God, no. All you'll learn is that any laptop below and most laptops above $1500 are turds in some way or another.

vvvv e: pick 2 more like.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Price, performance, size, build quality. Pick 3.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

The closest thing I can find is the V5, but that's a 15.6" model. Acer is very price-competitive, but their build quality has always been poo poo. I'm actually surprised they even offer an IPS display.

Mine's acer v7-482pg

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sylink posted:

I have a Yoga 2 and its super high DPI screen is amazing plus the folding into a tablet is nice for couch surfing. It was also $750 refurbed.

They're like $850 new so that doesn't seem like a great deal.

Anyone considering the Yoga 2, please read: we gave one to one of our sites to demo as our potential model to replace current units, and the screen on it cracked within the first two weeks of use. It cracked perfectly down the middle of the camera, and then curves to the left to meet up with the side of the screen. Based on what I've read from equally unhappy Yoga 2 owners, there is probably some defect in the design/build in these as a lot of people have reported their screens cracking spontaneously or when not in use/with very little actual use. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty that one of my users didn't just manhandle the thing, but the screen is so thin and flimsy, I really think it's a design flaw.

Oh yeah and a new screen will cost you $600 as they classify it as an out-of-warranty repair.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

If I was looking for that type if system I'd spring the extra for a 14" Elitebook (840 G1) - price aside they seem to be a pretty good all round compromise.

Pissing me off: Office 2013. Now I'm not one of those guys who just hates any change (I swear) but I really think some of the UI changes are daft. It's a God damned office suite afterall so usability should come before style - I don't care how cool some MS designer thinks the white on white absolutely depthless skin looks it makes everything blur together in one headache inducing blob (and no the alternate colour schemes are not much better).

Also how hard is it to pick a way of rendering fonts and use that consistently throughout the suite? Instead I'm seeing sub pixel Cleartype in Excel and most of the UI but the same horrible blocky greyscale renderer IE uses in Word content.

On the flip side they finally fixed how windowing works in Excel (only took them 25 or so years) so I guess that's something

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

If I was looking for that type if system I'd spring the extra for a 14" Elitebook (840 G1) - price aside they seem to be a pretty good all round compromise.

My work laptop is an Elitebook 8440p, which is actually a pretty drat decent machine. The hinge could be better (Thinkpads have spoiled me), but the keyboard is pleasant to type on and overall build quality seems good. Performance is so-so, but that's mostly because our IT department has weighed it down by a million tons of corporate crapware AND keeps us stuck on 32-bit Windows 7 for some reason.

I should probably have a look at the current Elitebooks (and Probooks?).

Flipperwaldt posted:

God, no. All you'll learn is that any laptop below and most laptops above $1500 are turds in some way or another.

Yeah, I noticed.

Currently I'm leaning towards either a T440p or a X240, with IPS displays. One oddity I've noticed with the X240 is that the base model i3-4030U and top-dog i7-4600U have the same TDP :confused: Which makes the i7 the obvious choice for longevity (despite the price and the maximum of 8GB RAM).

Then again, full HD on a 12.5" screen is probably going to get a bit cramped, so a bigger screen seems like a good idea. But who wants to settle for an i3 in a T440p? With an i5, I'm suddenly faced with a $2200 pricepoint :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 6, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FISHMANPET posted:

It's because in comparison to the slobbering idiots that buy laptops, comparatively nobody wants a nice screen.

This poo poo kills me. My work Lenovo is a T540p and was not cheap, but it's got a loving 1366x768 TN panel in it that looks like absolute dogshit and has about a 2 degree viewing angle before the colors or contrast start massively shifting. I really hate it so so so so much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have a 840g1 and it's pretty good. Too bad the display sucks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe I should just wait for the Toshiba Chromebook 2 to be released in Europe. 1080p IPS display, long battery life and it seems to do everything most people ever use their laptops for, including me. January 2015, though :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SubjectVerbObject posted:

poo poo pissing me off.

I have way too many tickets. I am being told in writing that I need to have updates of substance on most of them by the end of the day. I am being asked about training - what training I would like, what I need to serve my customers etc. The last time I had training I got in trouble and was pulled out of training for failing to update my cases while I was in training.

I am sitting here trying to figure out if the training question is some sort of loyalty test and the correct answer is "I would not think of requesting training if it would keep me from satisfactorily updating my tickets."

Did you call them out on their bullshit (getting in trouble for being in training) when it happened? If not, bring it up now, but do it like a professional and not all passive-aggressive.