Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Ok, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TrashTalk and Cogs 2 pack. They do look pretty solid and seemed reasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They are awesome!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

I hope you didn't like recent IDW Drift because Shane McCarthy is gonna destroy everything that could have made him likable.
I didn't mind the Drift mini on a re-reading, since that allowed MTMTE to use the circle of light and had probably my favorite scene in Transformer comics - but then I'm probably too big a fan of Cyclonus for my own good. Drift being somewhere Shane can't piddle on the rest of the canon sounds fine.

I still really wish Hasbro had made a white version of the Movie toy with a more boxy Drift head, on that note. Oh well, might buy a Drift deluxe anyway now that I'm pretty sure there is no way I'm getting the 5 pack.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's been eleven years since the Masterpiece line started with MP-1. I mean for a good decade there, it was a no-brainer because it would be so easy to re-use the mold. But now they're re-making characters they've already done, and Star Saber is coming out. I'm pretty they'll be jackassing around with the 2nd version of MP Windcharger or the world will run out of petroleum before they go for Ratchet and Ironhide at this rate.

How do you constantly come up with this ridiculous bullshit so often? The first MP Autobot Car came out two years ago as of October 27th, so right there your first statement is nonsense. They've gotten through four molds in two years, one of which is Bumblebee, leaving 9 of the 12 84/85 Autobot Car molds to go. The notion that they are somehow going to skip Ironhide and Ratchet in this series, after going through the difficulty of securing car and sponsor license rights to Wheeljack, a mold with such limited repaint potential that they are releasing a Decepticon that didn't even exist before now...again, crazy. If anything, I'd be more concerned about getting Mirage or Sunstreaker.

What characters are they remaking? Skywarp? Because he's an Asia exclusive who doesn't even get his own number. What does Star Saber indicate in any way? They're making him because he won the poll, not because they've ceased production on the licensed car characters. I do not understand what kind of rational thought process would lead you to any of these conclusions. Are you perhaps exploiting the superstition that if you continually say they aren't going to make something, they'll announce it within a week?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I expect Tracks to be one of the next MP cars because he was a Corvette Stingray and Takara should already have the GM license for that because of the Bay movies.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

DisposableHero posted:

Ok, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the TrashTalk and Cogs 2 pack. They do look pretty solid and seemed reasonable to me.

If you like those I highly recommend FansProject's Function X Line. The first 4 are sold out and if stores do have them they're being sold at a markup but they're fantastic toys with ingenious transformations. Currently Sigma L their not-Mindwipe is available at most places.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

rarr rarr rar

You're mistaking casual impotent grumbling for a real opinion, so I'll be 100% serious and rephrase to say that I think they could either announce them tomorrow, or never.

The first MP figure was Prime in 2003, so don't casually move the goalposts. It's been over a decade of MPs and we haven't even heard a whisper of Ratchet/Ironhide (unlike the rumor flurries for guys like Galvatron or Ultra Magnus that end up being true sometimes). And of course I'm not talking about the remake of Skywarp, I'm talking about MP-10 and the heavily-rumored new Megatron. Maybe they'll remake Grimlock next too, hooray.

I'm glad the MP line is more diverse than it might otherwise be-- I thought it would be jerking off over the 1984 bots forever, and I'm thrilled we're getting Star Saber and Magnus. But because it's moving past the season 1 cast, it makes R/I less likely than they were before, because they're drawing from a wider pool. Granted, most of the rest of the pool doesn't scream "mold re-use", which is why I'd put the odds at 50/50 or so.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Masterpiece line also basically got rebooted a few years back with MP10. Since then they have certainly upped production.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The first MP figure was Prime in 2003, so don't casually move the goalposts.

It's not moving goalposts in any way. The MP line had never done any Autobot Cars pre-2012. That was a marked shift in the direction of the line, almost a soft reboot.

quote:

It's been over a decade of MPs and we haven't even heard a whisper of Ratchet/Ironhide (unlike the rumor flurries for guys like Galvatron or Ultra Magnus that end up being true sometimes).

You could replace Ratchet/Ironhide with Sideswipe/Red Alert or Prowl/Bluestreak in that sentence and be just as accurate pre-2012. "They didn't make X during the period they made nothing remotely resembling X" is a meaningless observation.

quote:

And of course I'm not talking about the remake of Skywarp, I'm talking about MP-10 and the heavily-rumored new Megatron. Maybe they'll remake Grimlock next too, hooray.

MP-10 was over three years ago. How is that any kind of indication of anything except the production of a new version of the single most popular and recognized character in the brand to herald and fit in with the line's change in direction at the time? A new MP Megatron has been rumored for almost the same length of time, and nothing concrete has materialized at all, and there are literally zero rumors of a Grimlock remake, so apparently one thing three years ago counts as a trend now?

quote:

I'm glad the MP line is more diverse than it might otherwise be-- I thought it would be jerking off over the 1984 bots forever, and I'm thrilled we're getting Star Saber and Magnus. But because it's moving past the season 1 cast, it makes R/I less likely than they were before, because they're drawing from a wider pool. Granted, most of the rest of the pool doesn't scream "mold re-use", which is why I'd put the odds at 50/50 or so.

They are not "moving past" the Season 1 cast, in the case of Star Saber they're making good on a fan poll, and in the case of Magnus they're producing a large scale MP who makes sense now specifically because of the prevalence of the 84/85 Autobot Cars in the line now, because he turns into a car carrier. There is literally zero indication that Bumblebee is somehow going to be the final MP car. The licensed car MPs are selling extremely well, even the remolds, so the notion that they're somehow going to abandon the concept is out of left field, to say the least.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a Jazz while the VAG people are still amenable to licensing toys with shootas. A straight VW Type 1 Bee (with a pistol!) was something I never thought I'd see a couple years ago.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

more MP stuff

You're being willfully obtuse at this point, probably just having a bad day or something again. Hope you feel better soon.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

You're being willfully obtuse at this point, probably just having a bad day or something again. Hope you feel better soon.

Neither. You're being ridiculous and illogical, as usual. Good attempt at a dodge, I suppose, but I'm still right.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Neither. You're being ridiculous and illogical, as usual. Good attempt at a dodge, I suppose, but I'm still right.

Look man it's obvious we don't really get along but I've made it a rule to not quote your posts unless I'm agreeing with you or adding information to your points. But you keep trying to call me out and prove my opinions wrong, so I'm just going to let the baby have his bottle instead of swapping multi-paragraph posts. It's like trying to share a thread with Arnold Rimmer or something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Look man it's obvious we don't really get along but I've made it a rule to not quote your posts unless I'm agreeing with you or adding information to your points. But you keep trying to call me out and prove my opinions wrong, so I'm just going to let the baby have his bottle instead of swapping multi-paragraph posts. It's like trying to share a thread with Arnold Rimmer or something.

Your opinions on this matter are factually incorrect. Either respond cogently to what I said or knock off the "woe is us the poor fandom" bullshit about things HasTak is supposedly never going to make. That's TFW's bag, not ours.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Your opinions on this matter are factually incorrect. Either respond cogently to what I said or knock off the "woe is us the poor fandom" bullshit about things HasTak is supposedly never going to make. That's TFW's bag, not ours.

If you really give a poo poo what I think (and I doubt it), PM me. Stop making GBS threads the thread up.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

If you really give a poo poo what I think (and I doubt it), PM me. Stop making GBS threads the thread up.

If you were willing to simply discuss the issue, disagreement or no, there would be no making GBS threads up. The making GBS threads up comes from your dismissal of my counterpoints in favor of calling me a baby or claiming I'm having a bad day. Normally I just ignore your nonsense but sometimes you say something so ridiculous I feel compelled to call it out. If you're not capable of even defending your own opinions, I guess there's nothing else to say on the matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just gently caress and get it over with. At this point nobody gives a gently caress what either of you have to say and I like both of you guys but come on. Just block each other so we don't have to put up with this.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

:yikes:

Phy posted:

I'd like to see a Jazz while the VAG people are still amenable to licensing toys with shootas. A straight VW Type 1 Bee (with a pistol!) was something I never thought I'd see a couple years ago.

Yeah, I still freshly remember people stating that for sure we'd never, ever see a proper MP Bumblebee, and I'm pretty sure than absolutely nobody expected MP Sideswipe to happen when it happened. At this point I think anything can happen. And the same goes for Generations, I mean we get the weirdest most random characters, and I think it's great.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

The first MP figure was Prime in 2003, so don't casually move the goalposts.

He's not. MP-1 to 9 and MP-10+ are basically two different series. In the former they were still figuring things out and didn't have a clear direction. With MP-10 they rebooted the series, which included following the G1 Animation scale, hence re-doing their FLAGSHIP CHARACTER in a size that would make this more feasible. They also decided to stick more closely to animation models, which is why they redid Starscream; the mold was the right size to fit with the scale set by MP-10, but wasn't the right color (Takara's) and had cartoon-inaccurate hip kibble. The differences between MP-03 and MP-11 really spell out the change in direction between the two lines.

So yeah, starting with MP-01 to exaggerate how long it's been without an MP Ironhide/Ratchet is pretty silly. The first 9 didn't include any minor characters outside of repaints, but since MP-10 we've gotten Prowl, Sideswipe, and Wheeljack, all of whom Keldroc correctly pointed out you could have just as easily swapped in for "Ironhide/Ratchet" only a short time ago.

Believe me, I want an MP Ironhide just as bad as you, I get that it's frustrating. Will we get one over the course of the next 2 years? I don't know, but I don't see any reason to feel so strongly that it isn't happening.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

Believe me, I want an MP Ironhide just as bad as you, I get that it's frustrating. Will we get one over the course of the next 2 years? I don't know, but I don't see any reason to feel so strongly that it isn't happening.

For pete's sake, how is "I think they could either announce them tomorrow, or never" or "I'd put the odds at 50/50 or so" being construed as some kind of diatribe about how it isn't happening? And if what's causing the consternation is my first post where I said "I'm pretty they'll be jackassing around with the 2nd version of MP Windcharger or the world will run out of petroleum before they go for Ratchet and Ironhide at this rate"...well...if whimsical hyperbole has suddenly become taboo in this thread then feel free to string me up after the actual top offenders.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Guys I just want an MP Primal then you can have all the Ratchets and Ironhides (I'll buy them too though) you want in MP scale.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

Guys I just want an MP Primal then you can have all the Ratchets and Ironhides (I'll buy them too though) you want in MP scale.

Clearly everyone in MP scale is the only real solution. Even Especially Beast Wars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want MP Super Fire Convoy because I lost the stupid front wheel/gun for mine.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Clearly everyone in MP scale is the only real solution. Even Especially Beast Wars.

I would seriously be thrilled if we got say Megatron and like Waspinator. Actually any of the bugs seems like they might be awesome for MP form since it'd be easier to hide segmentation I'd think.

Nothing with fur though. Bleh.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, Roberts says he writes him as sounding like John Simms' Master. Which I can't hear at all.

I don't know who John Simms is, but the only voice I can possibly hear coming out of Overlord's mouth is Tim Curry as the villain from Brutal Legend.

Brainstorm is Guy Fieri, of course.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I know this is one of those things that probably comes up ad nauseum but how do you tell the real fansproject insecticons from the knock offs again?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Tunklord Supreme posted:

I don't know who John Simms is, but the only voice I can possibly hear coming out of Overlord's mouth is Tim Curry as the villain from Brutal Legend.

I've never played brutal legend but man you nailed it, I'm never going to stop hearing Overlord as Tim Curry.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've never played brutal legend but man you nailed it, I'm never going to stop hearing Overlord as Tim Curry.

I reckon Max von Sydow (doing his Ming the Merciless accent).

My vote for Whirl voice would be Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Where's my MP Transmetal 2 Megatron?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

LightsGameraAction posted:

I know this is one of those things that probably comes up ad nauseum but how do you tell the real fansproject insecticons from the knock offs again?

Well for one they look a bit more "bloated", like if the molding wasn't in the best conditions. I've read people complaining that they're terrible and others saying theirs are floppy but decent. I just KNOW I've seen a blog or thread doing some comparison shots of the figures and boxes, but I tried searching for it now and no results.

I always wanted the deluxe insecticons remold they did of them, but no Venom made it a no-deal.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I will laugh out loud (and buy) MP Tasmania Kid when he wins the next MP poll-me-do.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hey, to whoever is organizing the Secret Santa I suggest using elfster.com.

Works really well in keeping things organized.

It's what the Retro Games thread has been using for the last couple of years.

I'm surprised more people aren't excited we're getting retooled Animated Dinobots!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, Roberts says he writes him as sounding like John Simms' Master. Which I can't hear at all.

Well, James Roberts is British, isn't he?

What is he like? Two litres of engex for a cyber-thruppence, space-govnah!

Keldroc posted:

The good ones are very few and far between, and of course the ones you list are all premium priced, so I would drat well hope they don't try to sell me stuff after charging $6-10 up front. Yes, Monument Valley is very good, but it's a real game I paid real money for, not a timesink moneypit like 99% of mobile games today. I've never played any of the NES/SNES classic ports because they're all ludicrously priced. I ain't paying $15-20 for a 20 year old SNES game, Square, sorry.

At any rate, Angry Birds Transformers is exactly what one would expect if one has any experience with Rovio's work and F2P in general. I'd actually say it's of higher overall quality than most of its ilk, and at least it has some fun with the license. And new Vince DiCola tracks are never a bad thing.

I meant games like XCOM, Baldur's Gate, etc, which translate well to tablets. I agree about Square's pricing, no argument there.

Wayward Souls started at 5 dollars and has gone up by a dollar with each large expansion Rocketcat puts out. One of them is a Goon and posts in the iOS games thread, support Goon projects, etc.

Every time you play get involved with a freemium game you are making a deal with the Canadian Devil, Beelzaboot.

DisposableHero posted:

You have chosen... wisely.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I always gave Whirl a quicker paced voice, like Shia Labouf in my head, they both kind of seem like they try to hard. Maybe a bit deeper, but nothing rough sounding.

Also, where is my MP Kup, dammit.

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
In my head canon, Brainstorm has a German accent to go along with his mad scientist vibe. Also in my head canon, Prowl has the same voice as TF Prime's Ratchet.

Whirl tends to be shrill and not particularly deep.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Everyone sounds like robin williams in my mind.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

But British, right? I can see that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Jazz, Tracks, Hound, Ironhide, Ratchet, Cliffjumper, Huffer and Brawn are all dudes I would really want as MPs. The rest of the '84/85 Autobot cars, I can take it or leave it. Those, plus Shockwave, Blaster and Perceptor, you'd have all the most memorable guys from the first two seasons, sans Devastator and Omega Supreme, which would be kind of nuts. Who knows, they might go full crazy and try an MP Devastator.

Ka0 posted:

Robin Williams was a great loss. Sadly, my dream of an Evangelion movie starring Robin Williams as every character will now never happen.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Interview with Shane McCarthy on how he'll ruin Drift.

quote:

[Drift] won't be the wacky hippie guy that's been seen in the comics recently but, of course, the events and history of those books will all have an impact on "Empire of Stone" and the way Drift is written. That being said, there's a liberal amount of humor in this. Drift tries his best in every situation but, yeah, often falls short.

And with how the interview is it sounds like Drift won't be joining up with the Lost Light once the miniseries is over. So we won't even get James Roberts undoing the damage done to Drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ka0 posted:

An angry Genie voice would work great for Whirl.