Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

So the man who killed Osama Bin Laden has been agreeing to interviews and will probably be in the headlines for saying awful, awful poo poo. If the GOP can figure out a way to get him to run for President he'd win with 70% of the vote.

GOP doesn't give a poo poo about military heroes anymore except the ones coming home in body bags that can't object to being paraded in their ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Nonsense posted:

GOP doesn't give a poo poo about military heroes anymore except the ones coming home in body bags that can't object to being paraded in their ads.

Of course they don't but if they can manage to get an actual military celebrity like this on a ticket he could beat any democratic candidate in the country. We all know the GOP is bankrupt on the issue of treating soldiers well but voting for one allows them to maintain that self-deception. This is why Bush's aircraft carrier stunt was so popular at the time and Kerry's war medals were mocked at the GOP convention. If they can get a grain of truth mixed in with their big lie they really go for it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Of course they don't but if they can manage to get an actual military celebrity like this on a ticket he could beat any democratic candidate in the country. We all know the GOP is bankrupt on the issue of treating soldiers well but voting for one allows them to maintain that self-deception. This is why Bush's aircraft carrier stunt was so popular at the time and Kerry's war medals were mocked at the GOP convention. If they can get a grain of truth mixed in with their big lie they really go for it.

He's a shoe-in for Congress I agree. President? He's no Patraeus, also the GOP doesn't want generals running for office they want them in the military so they can be passive aggressive babies with Democratic officials.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

President Wesley Clark.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The guy I'm talking about was an enlisted Navy SEAL who is not in the military any more. He isn't bound by any of the rules that pertain to soldiers so he can say whatever the gently caress he wants. This is a very implausible scenario of course, but if someone with half a brain in the GOP puts two and two together on this it could be very bad. The anti-establishment political environment in this country is ripe for an outsider like this.

Can you imagine the collective jizzing that would happen if this guy went on national TV and said "Obama didn't get Bin Laden, I DID and I did it for conservative American values!" ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

President Wesley Clark.

You're kind of proving my point. Had Clark run as a conservative Republican he would have had a shot, and Clark didn't have near the celebrity status this guy could have if he wants it.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Unzip and Attack posted:

The guy I'm talking about was an enlisted Navy SEAL who is not in the military any more. He isn't bound by any of the rules that pertain to soldiers so he can say whatever the gently caress he wants. This is a very implausible scenario of course, but if someone with half a brain in the GOP puts two and two together on this it could be very bad. The anti-establishment political environment in this country is ripe for an outsider like this.

Can you imagine the collective jizzing that would happen if this guy went on national TV and said "Obama didn't get Bin Laden, I DID and I did it for conservative American values!" ?

I don't know his other positions but if he's terrible on everything else, let's not act like we've got another Eisenhower waiting in the wings here.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

"loving braggert, any one of us would've killed Bin Laden. Why won't you give me more guns to do it?"

You over-estimate America's respect for enlisted military members. We like officers, not enlisted.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

"loving braggert, any one of us would've killed Bin Laden. Why won't you give me more guns to do it?"

You over-estimate America's respect for enlisted military members. We like officers, not enlisted.

This isn't about "America's respect for enlisted" it's about how the Republican Party could exploit a military celebrity like this. We haven't had a military member do something this unique in all of American history. The dude killed the most hated man on the planet. I'm not saying he's the next Eisenhower, I'm saying he's the type of person that fulfills all of the conservative fantasies about a savior candidate. White, male, outspokenly xenophobic, conservative (by all accounts) and the ultimate military caricature. If plans aren't being made to get this guy a candidacy somewhere then the RNC should have their loving heads examined.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The skill set to interact with the media and the public doesn't seem particularly similar to the skill set for being a Navy SEAL. The guy has a great hook for getting on camera but then he needs to be able to indefinitely maintain a marketable person. That's actually pretty hard, as evidenced by all the people who fail horribly at it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

This isn't about "America's respect for enlisted" it's about how the Republican Party could exploit a military celebrity like this. We haven't had a military member do something this unique in all of American history. The dude killed the most hated man on the planet. I'm not saying he's the next Eisenhower, I'm saying he's the type of person that fulfills all of the conservative fantasies about a savior candidate. White, male, outspokenly xenophobic, conservative (by all accounts) and the ultimate military caricature. If plans aren't being made to get this guy a candidacy somewhere then the RNC should have their loving heads examined.

Even if the RNC gets this guy to be their candidate he'll get creamed in the general because anyone who's not part of the Republican base isn't going to vote for him based on everything else about him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Kodiak posted:

The skill set to interact with the media and the public doesn't seem particularly similar to the skill set for being a Navy SEAL. The guy has a great hook for getting on camera but then he needs to be able to indefinitely maintain a marketable person. That's actually pretty hard, as evidenced by all the people who fail horribly at it.

Mitt Romney is the most awkward, wooden douche on Earth and he was one successful terrorist attack away from winning the general against an extremely personable, charismatic incumbent with a squeaky clean first term.

E: I'm not trying to convince anyone here, I just personally think this could be something to watch.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

Mitt Romney is the most awkward, wooden douche on Earth and he was one successful terrorist attack away from winning the general against an extremely personable, charismatic incumbent with a squeaky clean first term.

Benghazi was a successful terrorist attack, unless you're talking about one on American soil. Even then, the country would have rallied with the President like they did with Bush.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

Benghazi was a successful terrorist attack, unless you're talking about one on American soil. Even then, the country would have rallied with the President like they did with Bush.

Despite what the Yale Rowing Team may say, Bush wasn't black.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Ugh, it's called crew.

They don't have crew at Sarah Lawrence?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ninjasaurus posted:

Man I really disagree with you on this here. I think another real terrorist attack on our soil (something major, not a single or small attack) would precipitate yet another wave of "Obama is the most inept President ever" and "at least Bush kept us safe". Can you imagine what Rush Limbaugh would say the next day? He basically drives the conservative narrative and he'd have trouble concealing his pleasure for weeks. A successful terrorist attack is basically number one on the GOP's wish list. They've all but said so openly for the last 6 years.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A serious attack on American soil would have definitely been an impeachable offense because there is zero chance the US government doesn't know pretty much everything going on in the planet now.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Well, maybe I am being a bit optimistic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

Well, maybe I am being a bit optimistic.

Kill all optimism to better understand American politics.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

Kill all optimism to better understand American politics.

Probably the most accurate thing you've ever posted.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Unzip and Attack posted:

He wasn't particularly charismatic in public, but he maintained a palatable persona. His big gaffe required someone to capture video at a private event.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unzip and Attack posted:

Man I really disagree with you on this here. I think another real terrorist attack on our soil (something major, not a single or small attack) would precipitate yet another wave of "Obama is the most inept President ever" and "at least Bush kept us safe". Can you imagine what Rush Limbaugh would say the next day? He basically drives the conservative narrative and he'd have trouble concealing his pleasure for weeks. A successful terrorist attack is basically number one on the GOP's wish list. They've all but said so openly for the last 6 years.

No, a successful terrorist attack on US soil would unite the country and Obama would enjoy similar support to Bush right after 9/11. The difference is that the moment the immediate crisis was over the Republicans would begin to jump on any conspiracy theory with the fury of a thousand exploding suns. If Al Gore had been president on 9/11 we would have been united as a nation and then Loose Change would have been playing at the 2004 Republican Convention.

You can't counter the unification of the country, because that's a gut level emotional response where an outside force has changed the positions in the constant us vs them. You've got to give it time before you can successfully turn good will to ash.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Kodiak posted:

He wasn't particularly charismatic in public, but he maintained a palatable persona. His big gaffe required someone to capture video at a private event.

A matter of subjective opinion of course, but there are compilations of his gaffes that are 10 minutes long. His persona wasn't "palatable" as much as "conservatives would consider Gilbert Gottfreid palatable if they thought he could win an election". The truly marvelous thing about conservatives is their neverending ability to completely ignore their own standards when it comes to candidates. Mitt Romney was probably the most awkward, un-likeable Presidential nominee in my lifetime. That he came even remotely close to beating a sitting President says far more about the conservative voter than it does about Romney.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Gyges posted:

No, a successful terrorist attack on US soil would unite the country and Obama would enjoy similar support to Bush right after 9/11.
I highly doubt this is the case. The public didn't blame Bush for 9/11 because, in their eyes, the attack came out of nowhere. Nowadays everyone knows that the evil terrorists are trying to kill us, and every single Republican in the country is convinced that the next big attack is just a day away, so if one does happen you can bet your rear end they'll be blaming Obama for it before the dust even settles.

Gyges posted:

You can't counter the unification of the country, because that's a gut level emotional response where an outside force has changed the positions in the constant us vs them.
Except a terrorist attack in this day and age wouldn't change the current "us" and "them" dynamic at all. Hell, it would reinforce it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
These people blame Obama for Ebola. You think they would "unite" behind Obama for anything?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really don't believe the right would rally behind Obama in case of terrorist attack. Even if they had that inclination, right wing media would make sure they started thinking correctly before the smoke even cleared. It's just too perfect a scenario of blame to throw around along with anger from the populace that needs a direction not to exploit for immediate gain.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

This guy won't be facing one of them dreaded blacks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Unzip and Attack posted:

A matter of subjective opinion of course, but there are compilations of his gaffes that are 10 minutes long.

The standard for what gets described as a gaffe at Mitt Romney's level is far milder than what a highly-opinionated non-politician can produce when given a microphone. Romney got dragged over the coals for impolitically describing the mainstream Republican perspective on half the country. That's not what I'm talking about when it comes to the sort of things a random yahoo might say.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A documentary titled A Breath of Fresh Air: A New Prescription for America will run in 22 states this weekend.

The subject of the 40 minute piece is Dr. Ben Carson. The funder of the piece is Dr. Ben Carson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FAUXTON posted:

Racism wasn't sprung fully formed from the head of Obama's blackness.

That's my point, If everything about Obama was exactly the same, except his father was a white South African and Obama had white skin, Birtherism wouldn't exist.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unzip and Attack posted:

judging from my SEAL friend on facebook, he's liable to get swiftboated for talking about it. bunch of pissed people in that thread.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My cynicism tells me that it literally does not matter who runs, on either side. It could be supply-side Jesus vs. literal liberal Hitler, or vice-versa, but it will start off looking like a Democratic landslide, tighten up to what looks like a tossup, then the Democratic candidate will win and the Democrats will make gains in Congress.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And by tighten up, you mena the news will desperately try to make it look like a close race for ratings?

The closest Romney made to gaining ground was after the first debate, and even then the polls still didn't actually put him ahead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fulchrum posted:

And by tighten up, you mena the news will desperately try to make it look like a close race for ratings?

The closest Romney made to gaining ground was after the first debate, and even then the polls still didn't actually put him ahead.
It was pretty clear to anyone who actually watched the debate that the media wanted this to actually be a race, since Obama did fine. Romney never had momentum of any kind after that debate, and didn't before that either.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fulchrum posted:

Well no polls generally tighten in the week or so before election day as undecideds peel off and party bases solidify behind their candidate. Why people who vote reliably dem or rep get waffly answering polls in the months before elections when they're just gonna vote for their guy anyway who the hell knows.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Jesse Benton stratagem paid off.

quote:

McConnell also is intrigued by Paul's plans for 2016, when Kentucky's junior senator faces re-election to his Senate seat while potentially running for president.

It's a safe bet that Paul won't be the only member of McConnell's GOP caucus who considers trying for a move to the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Does that require a tricky balance?

"(It's) not tricky at all," McConnell said. "Obviously, I'm a big supporter of Rand Paul. We've developed a very tight relationship, and I'm for him."

For president?

"Whatever he decides to do," McConnell said. "I don't think he's made a final decision on that. But he'll be able to count on me."

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The turnout and demographics make things very very hard for Republicans in presidential years. Also the increased care levels going into politics means people sort of care how the sausage gets made for like two months which is all also bad for them IMHO

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is now stealing Rand's ideas. He went on a "listening tour" of HBCUs. Now she's doing one of her own.

quote:

In the coming weeks, Hillary Rodham Clinton will stop delivering paid speeches. She will embark on an unofficial listening tour to gather ideas from the business community, union leaders and others. And she will seek advice from such far-flung advisers as an ad man in Austin, Tex., behind the iconic “Don’t Mess With Texas” campaign and a leading strategist at a Boston-based public affairs consulting firm with ties to the Kennedys.

The Times also seems to be hearing that her announcement could come as early as January.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Joementum what is really going on in these "listening tours"? Is it just "maybe I can get a few more votes and don't have to risk actually saying anything"?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pangstrom posted:

Joementum what is really going on in these "listening tours"? Is it just "maybe I can get a few more votes and don't have to risk actually saying anything"?

Rand Paul's "listening tour" involved him giving speeches, so it was really more of a "listen to me" tour. Hillary's version looks to be her giving face time to potential big donors, so it's more of a "thing that every Presidential candidate does" tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So, about Rand Paul's plan to get around Kentucky election law by cancelling their Presidential primary so that his name doesn't appear on the ballot twice. Let's check the state's election law:

(sections (3) and (4) are about vacancies on the ballot)

Now, Tashjian v. Republican Party is the precedent that says political parties have the First Amendment right to choose their candidates by whatever means they prefer, which would make this provision of the state's election law moot, but that would still possibly require a suit by Rand's campaign or the state Republican party to move forward.

• Locked thread