Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
:siren: :siren: NEXT WEEK IS ECW WEEK ON WWE NETWORK!!! :siren: :siren:

ECW Exposed - Joey Styles interviews Paul Heyman Monday after the conclusion of Raw

40 new ECW Hardcore TV shows will be added to the archives.

Plus these three shows will be added

ECW Hardcore Heaven from 1995: Public Enemy vs. Gangstas, Sandman vs. Cactus Jack for the ECW title, Raven & Stevie Richards vs. Rommy Dreamer & Luna Vachon, Ian Rotten vs Axl Rotten Taipei death match, 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Taz and Dudleys vs. Pit Bulls

ECW November to Remember from 1995: Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk vs. Cactus Jack & Raven, Mikey Whipwreck vs. Steve Austin for the ECW title, Sandman & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Public enemy for the ECW tag titles, Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Psicosis in a Mexican death match (this match was phenomenal), Sabu vs. Hack Myers, Bill Alfonso vs. Tod Gordon, Pitbulls vs. Eliminators, Konnan vs. Jason

Cyberslam 1996: Raven vs. Shane Douglas, Pitbulls & Francine vs. Eliminators & Stevie Richards, 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu, Shane Douglas vs. Cactus Jack, Buh Buh Ray Dudley vs. Curtis Hughes, plus Brian Pillman's ECW debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really hope this means that they'll be regularly adding more old ECW stuff. I'd really like to go through and watch all the old Tommy Dreamer/Raven promos and matches.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Stuff like this is exactly what makes the network appealing to me. I don't particularly care about the current PPVs, but if they keep a steady stream of old WCW, ECW, and WWF material coming I'm hooked.

Hell, dreaming a little, it'd be fantastic if ROH someday gets bought out by the WWE and we get the CM Punk/Raven feud with promos up on the Network. Punk's "Drink your poison, I want you to die!" promo is what turned me into a fan of him.

Edit with Bonus Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuP8tqxeslY

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Delsaber posted:

The W is apparently still a thing.

Personally I miss when WWE kept a fairly extensive auction site, instead of... Your choice of four things.

They actually sold the Katie Vick dress not too long ago.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Personally I miss when WWE kept a fairly extensive auction site, instead of... Your choice of four things.

They actually sold the Katie Vick dress not too long ago.

Most of a decade ago, actually. It was purchased by the Wrestlecrap guys, and I believe one of them since used it in an indie horror film.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheJoker138 posted:

I really hope this means that they'll be regularly adding more old ECW stuff. I'd really like to go through and watch all the old Tommy Dreamer/Raven promos and matches.

At this point I don't think we can assume they're going to regularly add anything, ever.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hell yes. There were plenty of ECW's big shows that I wanted to watch only to discover that WWE was very letter-of-the-law about what counts as a PPV.

Maybe the week after next will be Velocity week!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Really at this point the only ting I really want are a complete collection of 1997-2001 Raws since I'm already watching Nitro in PSP.tv. Well, and territory poo poo, but I know not to hold my breath on that one.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've never seen the night the line was crossed and I'm hoping that will eventually get uploaded. I feel like that match has been mentioned a lot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mariooncrack posted:

I've never seen the night the line was crossed and I'm hoping that will eventually get uploaded. I feel like that match has been mentioned a lot.

Are you talking about the crucifixion of Sandman?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, The Night The Line Was Crossed was a show ECW put on in 1994.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Night The Line Was Crossed was the first three way dance between Funk, Douglas, and Sabu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I wish they would put up Born To Be Wired.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Call Me Charlie posted:

I wish they would put up Born To Be Wired.

Sorry only got so much Network to go around, can't put up everything!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is there currently any legit way to watch Rey / Juvi from Big rear end Extreme Bash 2? I've seen most of the five snowflakers from American promotions and I'd love to see that one.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

mariooncrack posted:

I will forever have the phrase "The night Kimona Wanalaya danced atop the ECW Arena" burned into my mind from all the commercials during ECW. Pretty sure they won't toss that on the network.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

Is there currently any legit way to watch Rey / Juvi from Big rear end Extreme Bash 2? I've seen most of the five snowflakers from American promotions and I'd love to see that one.

Its on one of the WWE's ECW comps.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jason Powell is saying the UK network will be a Sky Channel.

http://www.prowrestling.net/article.php?Dot-Net-WWE-News-Major-update-on-WWE-Network-in-the-UK-39639

Enjoy your lovely UK tour and your gimped WWE Network.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AlbertRayon posted:

I will forever have the phrase "The night Kimona Wanalaya danced atop the ECW Arena" burned into my mind from all the commercials during ECW. Pretty sure they won't toss that on the network.

The event that happened during you mean? I don't see why they wouldn't, what actually happens is no more racy than a lot of attitude era stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

Enjoy your lovely UK tour and your gimped WWE Network.

Kind of hoping it becomes a thing whenever the WWE leaves the US everyone boos the poo poo out of any mentions of the Network.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BGrifter posted:

Kind of hoping it becomes a thing whenever the WWE leaves the US everyone boos the poo poo out of any mentions of the Network.

My cat is reporting the Australian Network rollout will be actually two sock puppets reenacting iconic WWE scenes at a local children's theater.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

My cat is reporting the Australian Network rollout will be actually two sock puppets reenacting iconic WWE scenes at a local children's theater.

Awesome, I'll use Hola to sub to that instead.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

These are the socks they're using.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Daniel Bryan posted:

ECW Exposed - Joey Styles interviews Paul Heyman Monday after the conclusion of Raw

40 new ECW Hardcore TV shows will be added to the archives.

Plus these three shows will be added

ECW Hardcore Heaven from 1995: Public Enemy vs. Gangstas, Sandman vs. Cactus Jack for the ECW title, Raven & Stevie Richards vs. Rommy Dreamer & Luna Vachon, Ian Rotten vs Axl Rotten Taipei death match, 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Taz and Dudleys vs. Pit Bulls

ECW November to Remember from 1995: Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk vs. Cactus Jack & Raven, Mikey Whipwreck vs. Steve Austin for the ECW title, Sandman & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Public enemy for the ECW tag titles, Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Psicosis in a Mexican death match (this match was phenomenal), Sabu vs. Hack Myers, Bill Alfonso vs. Tod Gordon, Pitbulls vs. Eliminators, Konnan vs. Jason

Cyberslam 1996: Raven vs. Shane Douglas, Pitbulls & Francine vs. Eliminators & Stevie Richards, 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu, Shane Douglas vs. Cactus Jack, Buh Buh Ray Dudley vs. Curtis Hughes, plus Brian Pillman's ECW debut.

Ugh, they didn't add the one obscure ECW show I wanted to see. Bullshit, canceling my network sub!

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The UK Network becoming another Sky channel is the stupidest thing possible. Only selling your—ideally, affordable and on-demand—service to people who already have to pay two premium subscription rates? And it's not even the full online service but a simple channel?

VPN companies must be abso-loving-lutely delighted.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

pressedbunny posted:

The UK Network becoming another Sky channel is the stupidest thing possible.

Now you UK guys get to enjoy being repeatedly called idiots for paying more than $9.99 for PPVs too! Lawler going on ad nauseum about how stupid anyone outside of the US is sure is a great way to sell a product.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I get the feeling that Vince and Co. really didn't think this whole WWE Network thing through all that well. They deluded themselves into thinking that 1.5 million people would sign up for it; announced that very number to their shareholders (which in turn inflated shareholder expectations) instead of a much lower (and far more realistic) number; and that their various PPV and international broadcast partners would be all "okeydoke :downs:" with WWE suddenly removing a source of revenue from them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

As long as they make no effort to stop people who are using VPNs already, then this move makes a lot of financial sense for WWE. The people who would use an over the top service like myself, already have it, and sky will pay them a lot of money and bring in the technologically averse/unaware/tv valuing people who wouldn't have got the network if it rolled out like the US version.

It sucks that I'll probably still have to pay for and have a VPN enabled to watch things, all the same.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
In the short term I'm sure that does make sense, but things like the Network should be pitched as the long term future of the company; everything is going online, everything is going on-demand, everything is going global. Starting an online, on-demand service and then carving it up in different ways for different regions—let alone just plain shafting many—is a complete contradiciton of what services like this are for.

It really does seem as though nobody put any thought into this other than "hey, that Netflix thing is doing pretty well, let's try and grab some of that money. Anybody know how this internet thing works?"

And regardless of their motivations or even possible justifications, next Raw is going to be very interesting. They must surely know the crowd will absolutely poo poo on anything Network-related now, but can they go a whole Raw without shilling?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I guess I've been out of the loop, or just not watching the live stream as much lately, but I like some of the newer stuff they've been sticking in between the hourly programming. Yesterday I caught the segment on the making of the new WWEWHC belt (including Vince actually uttering the word :siren:"belt":siren: in 2014) and a Mick Foley piece with a bunch of early wrestling school footage that I had never seen. Not sure if the latter was just pulled from one of the newer Foley docs, but it was nice to see something besides Warrior in a room full of snakes for the 20th time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That stuff isn't available on demand right? The thing about the belt sounds really interesting and exactly what I want more of.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I guarantee you Sky is going to pay WWE a bunch of money to not only carry the PPVs but to carry the network, plus residuals from people subscribing. Even if the consumer is getting a stripped down version, it's going to be more income for WWE than just launching the online option.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Xenoletum posted:

I guarantee you Sky is going to pay WWE a bunch of money to not only carry the PPVs but to carry the network, plus residuals from people subscribing. Even if the consumer is getting a stripped down version, it's going to be more income for WWE than just launching the online option.

At the cost of delivering a lovely half-baked product to yet another major market while advertising the good version incessantly on television and PPV. Morgaging your future in traditionally strong markets like the UK and Canada for a quick fix of cash seems hilariously stupid.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
New reports (er, Maffew vaguely scanning reddit) suggests that the many Sky reps don't actually know what is going on and are guessing blindly and/or being misquoted.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
At my WWE Live! show in Cardiff they played a Vince apology, saying that they're working around the clock, with their partners, to bring the network to the UK. The crowd booed the whole thing.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

At my WWE Live! show in Cardiff they played a Vince apology, saying that they're working around the clock, with their partners, to bring the network to the UK. The crowd booed the whole thing.

Awesome. I hope Raw is Boos

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Awesome. I hope Raw is Boos

Pretaped, though, remember? It'll be awkward, but they could just grin and bear it live and pipe in "YES!"es in post when it airs on USA.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

They played the same video as is in Dublin, Ireland tonight. Dublin isn't part of the UK.

They spelt Wales on social media as Whales on social media too today. Big up WWE's PR Department.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Maybe "Network sucks" chants or something can take the place of CM Punk chants through the lovely parts of shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

rovert posted:

They spelt Wales on social media as Whales on social media too today. Big up WWE's PR Department.

They can make up for that by rehiring Mason Ryan writing their apology in Welsh.