Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

And Togane knew exactly where to check for the wall. He essentially led Akane down there. He's gotta be either working with Kamui or playing some other sort of game on his own. I want to say the first is more likely but then the drones going berserk and forcing them out of the hideout doesn't seem like terribly good timing. On the other hand, it probably will mean that the police will have their hands too busy to worry about Akane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Alder posted:

My top moments would be Yayoi patting Mika's head like a dog. IDK but the last time I tried this I got scolded for being disrespectful. I agree with the Chief thought how as a Inspector Mika isn't suited to her job

Mine was when the chief calling out Shimotsuki because even Sibyl realizes what a huge rule stickler she's being.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 7, 2014

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Anyone know what's written on the photos and diskettes?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Relin posted:

Anyone know what's written on the photos and diskettes?

The diskettes have Akane's name written on them.

The photos have the words "all is calm, all is bright" written on them, along with some other stuff.
EDIT: Or is that just the ending theme? Can't tell.

Also, here's a freeze-frame of the framed photo. Some people have commented that the woman in the photo looks an awful lot like the Chief?

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 7, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

woops

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Favorite part of the episode was easily Shimotsuki talking to the Chief about Akane's inappropriate relationships with enforcers while she was still dripping wet from her visit with Yayoi.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Combed Thunderclap posted:

In Akane's case, it's because she really does believe in the the divine right of Sibyl, and that it's the best way to optimally manage society.

At the very end of season 1 she explicitly states to Sibyl that the only reason she's not destroying them is because it would lead to too much bloodshed, and she will work towards a society that no longer requires their over-watch.

I honestly think this whole thing is a sick experiment by Sibyl gone out of control. The chief referenced some future event and wanted to see how Akane reacts, yet seems regretful (from a purely 'we have less manpower now' standpoint) that they lost inspectors.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, I was kinda let down by the first episode of the season, but things have gone from 0 to Awesome in the course of these five episodes.

Man, so a face transplant, or maybe a hologram of Akane? Kaumi does have a female inspector in his thrall who he's working on getting a perfect hue, but it seems like that would just be a repeat of his trick with the politician. All signs point to it, but I think it has to be a red herring.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
While his schemes are getting kind of ridiculously elaborate I gotta admit Kamui has style.

I guess this time he's testing if Sibyl will condemn people for killing totally unknowingly.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

YF-23 posted:

And Togane knew exactly where to check for the wall. He essentially led Akane down there. He's gotta be either working with Kamui or playing some other sort of game on his own. I want to say the first is more likely but then the drones going berserk and forcing them out of the hideout doesn't seem like terribly good timing. On the other hand, it probably will mean that the police will have their hands too busy to worry about Akane...

He's either with Kamui or Sibyl/the chief. That's for sure. Kamui is obsessed with people's numbers and hues. The chief mentions Togane's number is incredibly high, while Akane's is always VERY low even in the worst of circumstances. I feel like either the chief/Togane are doing some kind of study on her or trying to provoke her to get her out of the way. It *was* super shady when Togane said to Ginoza that it would "take a lot" for her number to rise.

On the other hand, Kamui and Togane might be working in a similar capacity, though not to get her out of the way but as a curiosity maybe?

Also I haven't been around SA in forever so I wasn't on here when the first season aired. What does everyone think of Makishima vs. Kamui? I loved Makishima as a villain - I just found him *way* more interesting. Maybe it's his character or his relationship with Kogami. I don't know, I just loved that crazy bastard.

Kamui doesn't do it for me. He's intelligent and scary as hell, and creepy with his calm demeanor but I feel like he pales in comparison. I saw posts elsewhere suggesting Kamui makes Makishima look like a bitch which I think sounds absurd. Plus there's the difference that Kamui's drive is a twisted sense of morals (I think?) whereas Makishima just got bored.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

The Mechanical Hand posted:

He's either with Kamui or Sibyl/the chief. That's for sure. Kamui is obsessed with people's numbers and hues. The chief mentions Togane's number is incredibly high, while Akane's is always VERY low even in the worst of circumstances. I feel like either the chief/Togane are doing some kind of study on her or trying to provoke her to get her out of the way. It *was* super shady when Togane said to Ginoza that it would "take a lot" for her number to rise.

On the other hand, Kamui and Togane might be working in a similar capacity, though not to get her out of the way but as a curiosity maybe?

One thing I'm liking about Tougane so far is that the show isn't even beginning to pretend he's anything but incredibly suspicious in pretty much every day. Pointing a Dominator at Akane, wandering off on his on after the incident, and that was just at the start of this episode. You have that conversation with Ginoza, and the OP clearly linking him to the Chief and Kougami somehow.

Usually with stuff like this, the plot would beat around the bush if the hardboiled veteran with a cool outfit and brusque attitude detective would be someone you can trust, but Psycho-Pass is putting all its cards on the table regarding what kind of guy he is.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Also I haven't been around SA in forever so I wasn't on here when the first season aired. What does everyone think of Makishima vs. Kamui? I loved Makishima as a villain - I just found him *way* more interesting. Maybe it's his character or his relationship with Kogami. I don't know, I just loved that crazy bastard.

Kamui doesn't do it for me. He's intelligent and scary as hell, and creepy with his calm demeanor but I feel like he pales in comparison. I saw posts elsewhere suggesting Kamui makes Makishima look like a bitch which I think sounds absurd. Plus there's the difference that Kamui's drive is a twisted sense of morals (I think?) whereas Makishima just got bored.
We really havn't seen a lot of Kamui yet so it's tough to say. He's willing to cut out people's eyes and put them in his own head so that worth a few points, but overall he doesn't really seem that scary.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

We really havn't seen a lot of Kamui yet so it's tough to say. He's willing to cut out people's eyes and put them in his own head so that worth a few points, but overall he doesn't really seem that scary.

I guess I mean scary in what he's capable of and the horrible poo poo he's done to people all while maintaining the appearance of an emotionless but slightly upbeat creep. That all said, Kamui is coming at it as though he's proving a good point and at least giving off the impression that he thinks he's doing this important thing. Makishima wanted to make a point to but he did it for funsies and had an interesting personality that went with it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I could be overly critical but I thought Makishima's plans were dumb :v:

What's his goal again? I forgot by the season finale and he fell into Bad Person does Bad Things for Bad Reasons category. For me the more believable a villain is the more frightening he can be in the world/setting.

It's too early for me to judge if Kamui is a improvement or not. IDK but writing off a villain as well, "crazy" is lazy characterization and when creators pull the insanity card then I start to zone out.

Sure, if Kamui 100% believes himself to be self-righteous and correct then maybe I'd be curious about his reasons for it.

Togane's character feels too obviously written as shady on purpose. I'm sure he's not on the Good side but not necessarily on the Bad side either. I'm still feeling somewhat bitter how Kougami had approx 10% character development in S1.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I can't really remember much of what Makishima did or what his motivations were but I really like Kamui's "scientific" approach to things so far.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Alder posted:

I could be overly critical but I thought Makishima's plans were dumb :v:

Makashima was pretty dumb and didn't do anything noteworthy at all, really. The best thing that happened around him was that he helped Akane learn more about Sybil.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Arkeus posted:

Makashima was pretty dumb and didn't do anything noteworthy at all, really. The best thing that happened around him was that he helped Akane learn more about Sybil.

I liked it when he beat up the robot and I am still amused by the literature motifs surrounding him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He was just trying to shut down the Sybil system. Most of his stuff involved raising the psycho passes of your average person enough to force them it either shut down the system or arrest everyone. Once he learned the location he tried a direct attack. And that whole thing with the hyper oats that would force Japan to import food, thus bring in outside people who would mess up the whole system.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

He was just trying to shut down the Sybil system. Most of his stuff involved raising the psycho passes of your average person enough to force them it either shut down the system or arrest everyone. Once he learned the location he tried a direct attack. And that whole thing with the hyper oats that would force Japan to import food, thus bring in outside people who would mess up the whole system.

Also, I assumed he was into causing massive chaos so that Sybil would seem to be in less control and inefficient. I mean he pretty much posted on a underground forum "How do I destroy society?" and lots of scientists responded seriously.

I can only imagine if Makishima posted that on Reddit and how'd everyone react to his topic would be 95% inside jokes even on a serious sub.

The only part I thought is unbelievable is how he kept recruiting people who seemed to be anti-Sybil but ended up being just messed up individuals w/their own problems. Instead wouldn't it be better just to spend all your time and effort looking up actual ways to take down the system instead of creating a few serial killers?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kamui's voice actor is that underrated guy who plays some interesting characters and he's essentially a Batman villain, what's not to like?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Guessing the 'new' thing with Kamui is a negative number psycho-pass. I'd imagine the scanners would use negative numbers to represent "not a target for scanning", with maybe some range of negatives as error codes, and Kamui was likely born criminally asymptomatic in such a way that his psycho-pass was as negative as an inanimate object, animal, etc.

The negatives don't have a hue colour assigned to them, obviously. Hence, "WC?". Would make for confusing birth circumstances, in terms of family not freaking out and reporting it instantly, but eh. He's gotta be asymptomatic somehow and it's obviously not as simple as Makishima's "he's showing 0-99 constantly".

Alder posted:

I mean he pretty much posted on a underground forum "How do I destroy society?" and lots of scientists responded seriously.

But he didn't? That was Saiga who made that thread and it was on an underground forum specifically for disenfranchised academics. The idea was Makishima would probably go with the silliest yet most effective idea that anybody of a similar mind could come up with. It was less a "this is scientifically the best way" response and more of a "this is how they would've done it in *insert dystopian fiction novel here*" response.

Last season was a fine arts major villain whereas this season is a STEM degree villain. Makishima wanted to test human nature whereas Kamui seems to primarily want to test the system.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't see how this season's villain doesn't end up the exact same way as Makishima. And I mean the exact same way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Kamui's voice actor is that underrated guy who plays some interesting characters and he's essentially a Batman villain, what's not to like?

And Wakka. :effort:

In street date-related news: Did the January movie get a confirmed BD/DVD release date? Or was I dreaming that up?

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I don't see how this season's villain doesn't end up the exact same way as Makishima. And I mean the exact same way.

Well if that means this season ends with Kogami shooting him in head it would certainly answer Makishima's question of "Will you find a replacement for me?"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Decus posted:

But he didn't? That was Saiga who made that thread and it was on an underground forum specifically for disenfranchised academics. The idea was Makishima would probably go with the silliest yet most effective idea that anybody of a similar mind could come up with. It was less a "this is scientifically the best way" response and more of a "this is how they would've done it in *insert dystopian fiction novel here*" response.

Last season was a fine arts major villain whereas this season is a STEM degree villain. Makishima wanted to test human nature whereas Kamui seems to primarily want to test the system.

Curses, I knew I should've watched the Extended episodes before I wrote about S1. I knew I was forgetting something for Makishima.

Umm, I'm not sure the comparison for "fine arts major" vs "STEM degree" is referring to? I know Makishima pretended to be a art teacher and read a lot of books. So far Kamui has his own private lab and some medical exp but nothing that IMHO ties to STEM.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The major difference between them is their mindsets. Makishima was an observer and a puppeteer, using people to get what he needed, and throwing them away like spent tissues. Kamui lives for those he "recruits", and is more like a cult leader to them. His goal is to "save" them from Sybil, while Makishima wanted to rile up the people to destroy Sybil.

A really interesting episode this week. On the whole body part storage facility, I think that is most directly related to the representative. the original Matsuda is dead, and has been replaced by someone else, a lot like in the second Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie, and then planted to the MWSBP to pick up.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I'm already loving Season 2 alot more than the one prior, its already alot more interesting.

And jesus christ did they ever say why with all their technology they had to make dominators so messy/brutal?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'm already loving Season 2 alot more than the one prior, its already alot more interesting.

And jesus christ did they ever say why with all their technology they had to make dominators so messy/brutal?

Someone asks this pretty much every episode and the only answer anyone has come up with is because they really want to make sure when they pull the trigger someone dies.

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

NowonSA posted:

I actually think it'd be pretty rad if Akane called in a favor from Sibyl, based on her being one of very few people who know the truth about the system. She's probably already getting some favoritism, such as visiting and calling up the psychologist in prison, but I'd like to see her have a Dominator under her control or just the ability to really boss around the other divisions and get them to follow the assumptions she's making on the case.

Basically, the next time anyone is standing outside the murder and torture house with their thumb up their butt, she should be alerted immediately and be able to tell them to start blowing up some walls to get the hell in there.

Didn't the first episode have Akane shooting a robot with the Dominator, while every other enforcer can't blow up non-humans with theirs?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The GOP Delusion posted:

Didn't the first episode have Akane shooting a robot with the Dominator, while every other enforcer can't blow up non-humans with theirs?

IIRC they admitted they upgraded the standard Dominators since S1 and Akane was the only person who was mad enough to test it 1:1 with a charging robot at her. I mean technically, she could've died but anime and all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dominators have "Lethal mode" and "Disintegration mode", and the latter is the one that Kogami uses to shoot construction bots.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm more convinced the relationship between Sybil and Akane is more of an uneasy truce between worthy opponents so Akane can't push for favours often; being allowed to do whatever she wants is pretty much her favour.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

The major difference between them is their mindsets. Makishima was an observer and a puppeteer, using people to get what he needed, and throwing them away like spent tissues. Kamui lives for those he "recruits", and is more like a cult leader to them. His goal is to "save" them from Sybil, while Makishima wanted to rile up the people to destroy Sybil.

A really interesting episode this week. On the whole body part storage facility, I think that is most directly related to the representative. the original Matsuda is dead, and has been replaced by someone else, a lot like in the second Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie, and then planted to the MWSBP to pick up.

I was also always under the impression that Makishima didn't want to destroy Sybil to help anyone but he was doing it out of boredom. Kamui, at least right now, is presenting himself as though he is "doing the right thing" even if it's in the "insane cult leader" mindset.

Regarding your second paragraph...

That makes a lot of sense, especially since Saiga called him out on basically not being him after analyzing his speeches. So I guess he's a cyborg like the chief/Sybil and this is the lab that facilitates his upkeep. The hunter guy in Season 1 was a cyborg too, right?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Holy poo poo is Kogami really Kamui?

I mean that could easily be a red herring. I honestly don't know.

AgentCooper
Oct 27, 2014

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.
I don't think so - it seems awfully out of character for the Shinya Kogami we knew to be so creepily obsessive with Akane, and furthermore, to actively wish to turn her hue black. He might have had romantic inklings but not to this sort of fedora-wearing level. I think it's more that the image of him with a gun reminded Akane of Kogami and she didn't want him to just terminate Kamui (thus making it impossible to extract info about his true motives, and potentially Sibyl's weaknesses).

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

AgentCooper posted:

I don't think so - it seems awfully out of character for the Shinya Kogami we knew to be so creepily obsessive with Akane, and furthermore, to actively wish to turn her hue black. He might have had romantic inklings but not to this sort of fedora-wearing level. I think it's more that the image of him with a gun reminded Akane of Kogami and she didn't want him to just terminate Kamui (thus making it impossible to extract info about his true motives, and potentially Sibyl's weaknesses).

Tougane is the one who wants to turn Akane black, Kamui seems to be focused on taking down Sibyl; he's only really paying attention to Akane as she works against him. It's obviously still possible that Kamui is someone we've never met before, but his facelift scars definitely mean that his original identity will be an important plot point we find out soon.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

drat, and I wanted real guns to be used in this episode. Well, I guess they were, but shooting "the bad guy" with a proper gun would've been a bit cathartic, especially if it had been a surprise. The inspector being brainwashed in such a blatant way is a bit too much for me.

AgentCooper
Oct 27, 2014

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.

glomkettle posted:

Tougane is the one who wants to turn Akane black, Kamui seems to be focused on taking down Sibyl; he's only really paying attention to Akane as she works against him. It's obviously still possible that Kamui is someone we've never met before, but his facelift scars definitely mean that his original identity will be an important plot point we find out soon.

Oh, my bad. I thought you'd said Tougane was Kougami (which is another theory out there), so I was off base. I still don't think Kamui is Kougami, though. Main reason being that Kamui and Kougami just ACT too differently from each other. Based on personalities I'd say something like Makishima being Kamui is more likely (even though all evidence points to Makishima being dead as Zombie Jesus shot in the head).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I'm not sure how this season stands up to the first one in terms of characters or story or theme, what with it not being finished and all, and I KNOW it's not as pretty to look at, but I do think the plot:action ratio is balanced more to my liking. But that's probably because I am easily amused by explosions and seeing people run around and do stuff.

Gino making good use of his condition was cool. And was this the first mention of Dominators having limited ammo? I always figured they worked on sci-fi future space magic.

Also, I think there's something delightfully Japanese about the notion of realistic depictions of gore and death making people stop playing a shooting game instead of play it like 3x as hard.

• Locked thread