Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

a dozen swans posted:

What do you all play, and why?
Amulet Combo, because winning on turn 1 is the best way to put your opponent on tilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

a dozen swans posted:

I play mono red in every format because its the cheapest and always quasi viable.

If money weren't a hurdle I would play what I describe as engine based combo. Decks like storm, ascendancy, dredge, bloom titan, where the entire deck is a bunch of synergistic moving parts. I also like sweet value grind decks like zombardment or lands. I dislike A+B combo decks like splinter twin and sneak and show.

I am definitely a johnny and enjoy playing cards in ways they weren't meant to be, and the thought puzzle aspect of engine based decks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

Blue is academia, they are the research scientists that want to know how to extract energy from the sun. Black is the business owner funding the institute so it can have first dibs at the awesome new technology they made and charging people a premium rate to use it. Oh and some demon summoning on the side.

When is that aspect of black reflected in the cards, though? For example, look at the black KTK cards. Most of the creatures are assassins, demons, undead, and angry orcs with greataxes. There's also carrion-eater and a guy who cuts open brains. The spells are mostly make zombies, murder someone (sometimes a prisoner), and hate hate hate. I chose KTK because it's the most recent set, but you'd get similar results looking at pretty much any other set. "Black is totally about being the guy who runs the factory" doesn't hold much water when this is a card game and the cards say nothing of the sort.

I think it's fine for a fantasy card game to have a black magic color of evil, I just think it's dumb that Maro pretends that black totally isn't about being evil and is really a philosophical viewpoint about ethics in games journalism capitalism or whatever when black cards are overwhelmingly about demons and zombies and hatred and murder and villainy. The demon-summoning isn't on the side, it's the main course.

e: FFS, the black iconic is literally named "A Villainess"

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 6, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that gross exaggeration and fake outrage doesn't solve it either.

And you evidence for either is...?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bhsman posted:

And you evidence for either is...?

Are you serious?

How did I let myself get trolled this hard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Any opinion stronger than mine on a subject is grossly exaggerating and fake by default. :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When is that aspect of black reflected in the cards, though? For example, look at the black KTK cards. Most of the creatures are assassins, demons, undead, and angry orcs with greataxes. There's also carrion-eater and a guy who cuts open brains. The spells are mostly make zombies, murder someone (sometimes a prisoner), and hate hate hate. I chose KTK because it's the most recent set, but you'd get similar results looking at pretty much any other set. "Black is totally about being the guy who runs the factory" doesn't hold much water when this is a card game and the cards say nothing of the sort.

Kamigawa and Ravnica blocks' storylines both had black-aligned protagonists and white-aligned antagonists, for what it's worth. Sometimes someone strives for an oppressive form of hegemony and it takes a cunning and ruthless character to fight it, or something like that.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure that gross exaggeration and fake outrage doesn't solve it either.
Why do you keep crapping over everyone who cares about not being a sexist piece of poo poo? Like, I seriously don't get what your angle is here, do you break out in hives whenever you see a woman? Do conversations about people other than straight white dudes cause your throat to swell up?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

Are you serious?

How did I let myself get trolled this hard.

You made the claim, so explain it already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lancelot posted:

Why do you keep crapping over everyone who cares about not being a sexist piece of poo poo? Like, I seriously don't get what your angle is here, do you break out in hives whenever you see a woman? Do conversations about people other than straight white dudes cause your throat to swell up?

Does me making fun of the discussion every time it crops up trigger you?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lancelot posted:

I think there's a difference between caring about the fact that there are men who mistreat women and saying that you're ASHAMED to be a male because there are males who don't treat women properly. And the latter was what was being said.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a dozen swans posted:

I picked up Melira Pod in Modern before it was on the radar. Same with Miracles in Legacy. I guess I'm a masochist and I like decks more the harder they are to play well, but I sold off Miracles and don't really play Modern anymore. I play Elves in Legacy now because I guess I'm also a big fan of decks that have lots of little moving pieces that all mesh together to make something better.

My first serious Standard I started with Reanimator, then I moved on to Junk Aristocrats when that became popular. I guess I stop liking decks once they're all figured out and end up netdecked by everyone else, but same theme: twisty decks with huge decision trees that are pretty hard to just pick up any play without any practice (and therefore hard to play against if you aren't experienced, too).

I think I also like new ideas that haven't quite found their legs so I can sort of be a part of that deck's development, then I lose interest once it's solved.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I don't play any Modern at the moment, none of the available decks interest me. In Legacy, I play Miracles and Death & Taxes, depending on which suits my current mood.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

I don't play any Modern at the moment, none of the available decks interest me. In Legacy, I play Miracles and Death & Taxes, depending on which suits my current mood.

Have you given Modern Hatebears a try?

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League
Massdrop on Ultra Pro Pro-Mattes; $33 for 12-packs at the lowest price https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ultra-pro-pro-matte-sleeves-12x50-pack?mode=guest_open

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Haha, it's funny, because "trigger" is a word that victims of rape use. Haha! Rape. Hilarious.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I picked up Melira Pod in Modern before it was on the radar. Same with Miracles in Legacy. I guess I'm a masochist and I like decks more the harder they are to play well, but I sold off Miracles and don't really play Modern anymore. I play Elves in Legacy now because I guess I'm also a big fan of decks that have lots of little moving pieces that all mesh together to make something better.

My first serious Standard I started with Reanimator, then I moved on to Junk Aristocrats when that became popular. I guess I stop liking decks once they're all figured out and end up netdecked by everyone else, but same theme: twisty decks with huge decision trees that are pretty hard to just pick up any play without any practice (and therefore hard to play against if you aren't experienced, too).

I think I also like new ideas that haven't quite found their legs so I can sort of be a part of that deck's development, then I lose interest once it's solved.

I get enough Pod in cube (i do that weird thing where you run multiples of it as an interactive version of reanimator) but if money were no object I'd totally play one of the niche Pod decks all day errday. maybe BUG nic fit pod? whatever, you've got sweet taste in decks

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Have you given Modern Hatebears a try?

Honestly, I really haven't and should. Telling people no and punching them in the face is very much what I enjoy doing. Looking into a primer right now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

Oh, awesome, rape jokes. :fuckoff:

Zoness posted:

I think there's a difference between caring about the fact that there are men who mistreat women and saying that you're ASHAMED to be a male because there are males who don't treat women properly. And the latter was what was being said.

I think it's fair to say any of us can feel shame whenever some fedora-wearing goonie pops up on a stream or we give personal stories about some rear end in a top hat at the local shop without it being related to how they treat women because we share a hobby.

Saying you're ashamed of being a guy when you hear about this stuff isn't a stretch, but even as exaggeration the talk of 'fake outrage' is just incredibly stupid.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

Kamigawa and Ravnica blocks' storylines both had black-aligned protagonists and white-aligned antagonists, for what it's worth. Sometimes someone strives for an oppressive form of hegemony and it takes a cunning and ruthless character to fight it, or something like that.

Ravnica's storyline in both cases was also "Dimir does dickish evil things that don't benefit them in any way just for the sake of being evil." For everyone like Sorin or Umezawa, there are several dozen like Liliana, black-Garruk, Bolas, Ob Nixilis, Griselbrand, Yawgmoth, Lazav, Szadek. And that's just looking at the big, named characters. What do black cards look like at common? Do they look like investors, or vampires?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ravnica's storyline in both cases was also "Dimir does dickish evil things that don't benefit them in any way just for the sake of being evil." For everyone like Sorin or Umezawa, there are several dozen like Liliana, black-Garruk, Bolas, Ob Nixilis, Griselbrand, Yawgmoth, Lazav, Szadek. And that's just looking at the big, named characters. What do black cards look like at common? Do they look like investors, or vampires?

The Cabal is the closest thing to the whole mercantile thing. They were a money making organization, for the benefit of a god baby, that used demons, and dementia summoners, and just about anyone to make money through the "Pit Fights". The various Pit Fighters are all represented. You can see it on some onslaught/odyssey flavor text as well. Albeit minimally.

They have done a disservice to black by only representing the creepy crawly evil side of it, but capitalism/objectivism is also a part of its pie.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

What do black cards look like at common? Do they look like investors, or vampires?

What's the difference? :lfsay:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

I think it's the same deal as with red — they both have a "nice" side, but when you're depicting a battle between two all-powerful wizards, you tend to represent the more aggressive and powerful side of the colour.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lancelot posted:

Haha, it's funny, because "trigger" is a word that victims of rape use. Haha! Rape. Hilarious.

bhsman posted:

Oh, awesome, rape jokes. :fuckoff:

Since when does trigger only concern rape? Jesus you two are confusing as gently caress.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

lonequid posted:

Massdrop on Ultra Pro Pro-Mattes; $33 for 12-packs at the lowest price https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ultra-pro-pro-matte-sleeves-12x50-pack?mode=guest_open

Got in on this, it seems like an absolutely massive bargain

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

Since when does trigger only concern rape? Jesus you two are confusing as gently caress.

Since when is it still funny if it refers to rape, sexual abuse, etc.? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

homerlaw posted:

Got in on this, it seems like an absolutely massive bargain

I have always been burned on ultra pro, are the mattes actually useable?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bhsman posted:

Since when is it still funny if it refers to rape, sexual abuse, etc.? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

At this point I have no clue if you are even trying to talk to me because I can't figure out where in the hell you ever felt I had any discussion about rape.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

At this point I have no clue if you are even trying to talk to me because I can't figure out where in the hell you ever felt I had any discussion about rape.

You don't get to make a joke about triggering and then wash your hands of it, especially in how you used it. Don't be a dipshit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why is there a page full of the word trigger that isn't a discussion of the most recent rules changes?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sickening posted:

I have always been burned on ultra pro, are the mattes actually useable?

I actually really like the Mattes. I prefer them for limited because 50 is a great number, but if I get 600 I guess I can use them for constructed too. :shobon:

Either way they're definitely leagues ahead of the picture ones.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How does everyone ITT feel about rare redrafting?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah, lets have another discussion about rape, here in the trading card game thread, of an irreverent comedy website, it went so well last time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bhsman posted:

You don't get to make a joke about triggering and then wash your hands of it, especially in how you used it. Don't be a dipshit.

You really are certifiably insane.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trigger

I wasn't trying to make a rape joke you sick gently caress.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

The Cabal is the closest thing to the whole mercantile thing. They were a money making organization, for the benefit of a god baby, that used demons, and dementia summoners, and just about anyone to make money through the "Pit Fights". The various Pit Fighters are all represented. You can see it on some onslaught/odyssey flavor text as well. Albeit minimally.

They have done a disservice to black by only representing the creepy crawly evil side of it, but capitalism/objectivism is also a part of its pie.

Isn't the Orzhov Syndicate literally a corrupt organization that uses wealth and posthumous slave contracting in order to get what they want?

There's your Capitalism. :haw:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

At least one looks like a merchant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Heartless Summoning was the best deck and I'm super mad it had to share Standard with Delver and isn't good enough for Modern.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Have you read Drana's flavor text?

She seems like a protagonist to me. Unless you're trying to win an 8-4 against her, that is.

I mean, sure, bring up that Anowon is a huge jerk, he still helped Chandra out a few times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

I actually really like the Mattes. I prefer them for limited because 50 is a great number, but if I get 600 I guess I can use them for constructed too. :shobon:

Either way they're definitely leagues ahead of the picture ones.

I just never could figure what else I would want out of sleeves the kmc super mattes or dragon shields didn't already provide.

I still can't figure out why deck sleeves get so dirty so fast. Super scrubbing my hands before I touch my deck, washing my playmat weekly, and my sleeves still end up with gunk all over them in less than two weeks of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If you don't double sleeve, Ultra Pros are the best. Best seal, best shuffle, and the most consistent cut. Some of them will split but whatever, they're cheap, just replace the bad ones. That mass drop is a good deal but if you prefer the clears you can get 200 for $10 on Amazon.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah, lets have another discussion about rape, here in the trading card game thread, of an irreverent comedy website, it went so well last time.

• Locked thread