Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

sweek0 posted:

Universal healthcare? (yes/sort of/no). I can't think of that many other things where the US is the only western country to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boiled Water posted:

I want to say freedom of press but russia is throwing me off.

Also, Eritrea has the worst press freedom in the world, even worse than North Korea, and it's only yellow on that map.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

"Maybe I should use color coding? ...nah."

RussiawontheColdWar.png

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

my dad posted:

It's states that signed some war crime legal treaty, can't remember the name. US and Russia are in the 'well, technically, we didn't agree fully, so our citizens are safe, but we can put your citizens on trial' category.

It's members of the International Criminal Court.

Green are parties to the statute, yellow have signed but not ratified and red have neither signed nor ratified.

edit:

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 6, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Torrannor posted:

Yes, noted second world country USA.
Thanks, Obama!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chrome is making these map guessing contests too easy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duckmaster posted:

Green are parties to the statute, yellow have signed but not ratified and red have neither signed nor ratified.

edit:

I'm thinking this is something to do with energy production, but I've got no idea why it has NK and Canada close to the same.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm thinking this is something to do with energy production, but I've got no idea why it has NK and Canada close to the same.

Is the energy mix of Canada that different from the US one?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I think it might be about what percentage hydro-electric is in the energy mix?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's got to be something with renewable energy and/or water, because those are the only things Paraguay does well. Maybe North Korea has a high percentage of renewable energy because they don't really have much energy at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

Chrome is making these map guessing contests too easy.

How?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Right click -> Google image search. But how about some good old-fashioned self-restraint instead, Phlegmish? :colbert:

I have a hard time resisting the temptation as well :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

This may be surprising given the one country in lightest green.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TinTower posted:

On the top of my head I can only think of very few things that can have Belarus in the same category as most of Western Europe but not the rest of Slavic Europe. People able to drink milk perhaps?

Edit: No, that milk thing makes no sense. I am truly stumped.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 6, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Overweight people.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think I've seen that map before, IIRC it has something to do with women's rights.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

TinTower posted:

Infant mortality rate?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Guess that map:

Was this one ever figured out? I wanna guess something to do with sodomy/homosexuality laws, but then central Africa doesn't have any red.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Victims of public beheadings

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Was this one ever figured out? I wanna guess something to do with sodomy/homosexuality laws, but then central Africa doesn't have any red.
Yeah, duckmaster posted an answer here:

duckmaster posted:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

TinTower posted:

Potato consumption :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
4-leaf clovers per capita: lightest green = most; darkest green = fewest.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Irradiation posted:

Potato consumption :v:

Nope! Look at Latvia.

edit: Amount of non-Vodka alcohol consumption.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Monkey Man posted:

I think I've seen that map before, IIRC it has something to do with women's rights.

Pretty quick to answer: it is indeed levels of enforcement of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women. Given the Irish government's historic attitude to women that still persists to this day, one wouldn't think it'd be the best at enforcing CEDAW.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Have another mystery map.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

XMNN posted:

good vs bad countries

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

XMNN posted:

OECD countries?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

XMNN posted:

Developed world?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

OECD countries?

Chile is OECD, actually.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

XMNN posted:

Visa-free travel from either the US or EU.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

cebrail posted:

It's got to be something with renewable energy and/or water, because those are the only things Paraguay does well. Maybe North Korea has a high percentage of renewable energy because they don't really have much energy at all.

drat this was too easy. It's total percentage of energy from renewable sources. It includes hydroelectric which as discussed is probably the most damaging of them all. Wish there was a map which excluded them. North Koreas is almost all hydroelectric.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

my dad posted:

It's states that signed some war crime legal treaty, can't remember the name. US and Russia are in the 'well, technically, we didn't agree fully, so our citizens are safe, but we can put your citizens on trial' category.

Map is signatories to the Rome Statue of the ICC. Green yes, red no, yellow signatory but not ratified.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TinTower posted:

I bet this is it. Though Turkey is an anomaly in my experience. I visited with some EU colleagues, and they didn't need a visa while I, as an American, needed to buy one for about 15 euro after landing in Istanbul.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TinTower posted:

Several EU countries are red. Additionally countries like Mexico and Brazil are red, who have visa waiver agreements with the EU.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The guesses so far are in the right sort of direction. I'm really not sure how easy it is to guess, so here's a clue It's based on information from a US federal agency.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

XMNN posted:

The guesses so far are in the right sort of direction. I'm really not sure how easy it is to guess, so here's a clue It's based on information from a US federal agency.

Is it the countries with and without state department warnings against travel?

3peat
May 6, 2010

XMNN posted:

It's that bullshit map about countries where "it's safe to drink water from the tap". It got posted before

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do you say turista in Romanian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

3peat posted:

It's that bullshit map about countries where "it's safe to drink water from the tap". It got posted before
I remember a sign in South Africa going back a few years ago (late Mandela presidency I think) saying that there were only 12 countries in the world where water from the tap is safe to drink for everyone, and South Africa was one of them.

Has South Africa regressed in water standards, was the sign bullshit propaganda, or is the map lying? (Or all of the above, I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

3peat posted:

Yep, I didn't see it before, though.

It's countries the CDC advises travelers to drink the tap water in or not. The map does seem to accurately represent the advice, whether that advice is particularly accurate is open to debate,