Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Daemon Princes. They are too cool for school.

I have always liked MC but these guys are evil, flexible, can be modeled in many different ways and have big power on the table top.

I might have squandered my time in 6th because I was always trying for a turn two charge. When I said they were flexible and have big power I meant charging into the enemy with my super demonic body and assuming I will crush them!

:black101:

edit: spellcheck

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Avatar.

I love everything about his design and fluff. Despite his profile not being very synergystic in most Eldar armies, he's still an awesome unit and I try to take him whenever I can.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lord Twisted posted:

Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

Hive Tyrants. They sold me on the game and they remain the iconic Tyranid unit that encapsulates what I loved about the army all the way back in 4e (flexibility, raw power, psychic doom).

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
From Faeit so take it with a grain of salt but:

quote:

The box kit for tyranids coming out next weekend is a Venomthrope-Zoanthrope dual kit that will come with 3 models. The exciting part is that there is a new zoanthrope character upgrade called a Neurothrope, which very much sounds like the old Doom of Malanti. it comes with a spirit leech -warp charge 1, that targets an enemy unit within 18". Leadership check on 3d6 or suffer a wound by each point the test was failed with no armour or cover saves. Each wound also adds 1 to your dice pool for Warp Blasts.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Considering what we've seen over the past week I don't doubt it and also :hellyeah:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Oh poo poo. That sounds really good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That sounds like a pretty cool power but it seems incredibly strong to me relative to other Warp Charge 1 powers; I'd have expected it to be 2 at the least.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JerryLee posted:

That sounds like a pretty cool power but it seems incredibly strong to me relative to other Warp Charge 1 powers; I'd have expected it to be 2 at the least.

Call it making up for the other psychic bug power which I've already forgotten the name to because it's awful. Also I'd expect the model to be Unique, so the power won't be all over the place.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If it's called a 'neurothrope' I really doubt it will be unique

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

serious gaylord posted:

GW's customer service has changed radically in the last few years. They used to have an open 'exchange anything unopened for anything else' in their shops until it began to be abused by people buying large quantities of things from discount sites and then swapping them out for other things when they realised they didnt actually want 20 boxes of Dragon Ogres.

You go back further and you could call them up and say you were missing a lascannon or a backpack sprue and they'd send you out a new box, all they'd ask was to read out the batch number on another sprue from the kit. Again that was abused by a certain forum *cough*warseer*cough* who had an entire thread dedicated to posting sprue batch numbers so people could get free land raiders and that swiftly changed to 'take it to your local store for replacement'.

So I don't find it very hard to believe that Forge World have taken a stance after more than likely being contacted constantly by people asking for instructions for chinese versions of their stuff that you need to have an order number or a batch number.

They still do exchange for anything unopened but I think it is up to the store manager. In Sydney City they don't do it but they do in Bondi and Parramatta. I bought a heap of random unopened stuff for about 25% of retail and traded it all in for the new IG kits, I actually stripped the store of most its kits on the release weekend. I just told them my brother bought me the stuff without knowing what army I played.

When 3rd ed Space Hulk was released one of the sprues was damaged. I bought directly from GW but I emailed saying that a model was damaged and they sent a whole set of replacement sprues. This was 3 years ago or something though

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The zoanthropes were always my favourite models so I might just get that.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lord Twisted posted:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

Vendettas. Hover gunships with dudes bailing out (sometimes with grav chutes) for late game objective grabs/BBQ/flashlight party.

Chimeras. Well armored transports that required positioning to play well, with a couple different guns that keep your squishy veteran guardsmen alive while the spew out plasma and melta at anything that gets to close. Why would vets get out of their rides when they can shoot out of the hatch? They ain't dumb.

Hydras. Super awesome anti aircraft gun re purposed to shoot at stuff on the ground? That tears though lovely xeno transports? count me in.

I miss my 5th ed mechanized guard. :(

Now I love my king poo poo of punch mountain chapter master on a bike. A supreme commander leading a small group of elite soldiers, who well inevitably end up punching the gently caress out of whatever gets in his way, from other elite soldiers, to, giant mosterous bugs, to loving tanks while going vroom vroom on a giant motorcycle IS TEH MOST 40K

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Lord Twisted posted:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff )

Mine would have to be Riptides. I'm a relatively new 40k player and those were the first model I ever saw on the tabletop and I've always loved huge robots since I was a kid (thanks to robotech, Big O , and Mechwarrior). Thinks kicks rear end on the tabletop as we'll and I love it when nova charge goes off and I can do all sorts of crazy things. TL;DR I like big robots that blow stuff up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm with the guy who said the old Kasrkin models were awesome. I don't even play 40k and I still bought a bunch to put together and paint up for fun to use as models for tabletop RPGs because I liked their look so much.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Canoptek Wraiths! I really like their look and I have fun assembling them, not to mention they are a great unit on the tabletop. Their fluff is pretty cool, too, what with them phasing in and out of reality and slicing up foes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Isn't the average roll on 3d6 10? With most armies having Ld9/10 its not going to cause massive damage in the grand scheme of things.

Big Willy Style posted:

They still do exchange for anything unopened but I think it is up to the store manager. In Sydney City they don't do it but they do in Bondi and Parramatta. I bought a heap of random unopened stuff for about 25% of retail and traded it all in for the new IG kits, I actually stripped the store of most its kits on the release weekend. I just told them my brother bought me the stuff without knowing what army I played.

When 3rd ed Space Hulk was released one of the sprues was damaged. I bought directly from GW but I emailed saying that a model was damaged and they sent a whole set of replacement sprues. This was 3 years ago or something though

All the ones in the UK have a sign on their tills now saying they can only accept exchanges with receipts. Before you didn't need one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

I love the art and idea behind these guys:

My other favorites are the bombard and stormhammer from epic :black101:

jadebullet posted:

What is the best way to do this without losing the effect of the wash? I just washed my dread, and it is looking good, but there are a few spots where things pooled badly that I want to clean up.

As gaylord is saying, with an oil wash you can use spirit. The trick is to either drybrush the spirit on or to smear it over the area you want without the wash in the way you'd use the smudge tool in photoshop. For acrylics you can do the same thing using rubbing alcohol, but be very carful as this can remove the underlying paint layers.

Another trick to avoid pooling is to add gloss or satin varnish into your washes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

The metal 2nd gen raptors are by far the best versions they've made. They put the new plastic kit to shame (and I like that kit).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Vendettas. Hover gunships with dudes bailing out (sometimes with grav chutes) for late game objective grabs/BBQ/flashlight party.

Chimeras. Well armored transports that required positioning to play well, with a couple different guns that keep your squishy veteran guardsmen alive while the spew out plasma and melta at anything that gets to close. Why would vets get out of their rides when they can shoot out of the hatch? They ain't dumb.

Yeah a close second on my list would be the Valkyrie/Vendetta, the Vulture and then followed by the Leman Russ and Chimera.
Kinda want a Vulture but that price tag is a bit off-putting. Or I'll just get a second Valkyrie at some point because I love painting large vehicles like that.

Night10194 posted:

I'm with the guy who said the old Kasrkin models were awesome. I don't even play 40k and I still bought a bunch to put together and paint up for fun to use as models for tabletop RPGs because I liked their look so much.

:hfive:
I believe the ones I've got has actually been used for that purpose as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I should have specified that I was using GW nuln oil as my wash. Not sure if that is acrylic or not. The wash came out great except on the flat parts of the dreads armor. Even then it doesn't look horrible there is just a slight mottled look to it that I wanted to clean up.I was thinking some light drybrushing might help as well as some weathering to draw the eye away from it. Like I said, it is very light but it has the perfectionist in me bothered by it.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

serious gaylord posted:

All the ones in the UK have a sign on their tills now saying they can only accept exchanges with receipts. Before you didn't need one.

That sucks then. I think there shouldn't be any issue exchanging current unopened kits without a receipt. Unless they had an influx of people putting empty sprues inside and resealing them bit I wouldn't think so.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Lord Twisted posted:

Lictors: chameleon meets praying mantis meets ALIEN combining into an invisible killing machine just warms my heart. Too bad I can't really justify using them, I played deathleaper in 6th to mess with psykers because I didn't have a second Flyrant, but he hasn't been outside his box since 7th hit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

That sucks then. I think there shouldn't be any issue exchanging current unopened kits without a receipt. Unless they had an influx of people putting empty sprues inside and resealing them bit I wouldn't think so.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a store wanting proof you purchased a product from that store before they exchange product, what are you talking about?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

I should have specified that I was using GW nuln oil as my wash. Not sure if that is acrylic or not. The wash came out great except on the flat parts of the dreads armor. Even then it doesn't look horrible there is just a slight mottled look to it that I wanted to clean up.I was thinking some light drybrushing might help as well as some weathering to draw the eye away from it. Like I said, it is very light but it has the perfectionist in me bothered by it.

Drybrushing your basecoat over the washed area is a good idea. It will act as a highlight. Or try the alcohol method.

In the future consider adding gloss varnish into your wash if you're going to brush it over a large flat surface.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jadebullet posted:

This is the secret.

Base coat

Washed

Cleaned up

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My favorite unit is probably the Trygon. I love the idea of a giant monstrous creature that bursts out of the ground and devours things. They're kind of mediocre right now, but they're still pretty fun to play and have been good to me in the past. Plus it's just a freakin sweet model.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mine's the Imperial Guardsman. In a world full of nightmare hell monsters and skeleton robits there's still regular dudes out there conquering the galaxy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I really wish that the current plastic kit had just kept everything about the previous metal models. Everything from the helmet, jump pack, and even the weird bird-feet made for awesome models with a pretty distinct aesthetic. It's not that the current kit is bad. In fact, it's pretty great, but it just doesn't hold up to what came before. It does have some really awful jump packs though. I know they're some older design or something which is fine, but they have spikes coming out of the intakes.

This is what I'm talking about :

Unless those spikes end exactly where what I assume are spinning fan blades begin, they'd completely wreck everything. They should have only been sculpted on the outside, but I guess no one stopped to think about it. Yeah, I know, it's 40k and I shouldn't care and for all we know those spikes are perfectly spaced so as not to damage the blades. I can't help it, it just looks wrong.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way while I'm here: :goonsay:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
100% agree with you on what you said. I love everything about the old models, except for the flame things and old proportions. The heads, backpacks, and bird like style just makes them so predatory and unique.

My pet project is taking 12 2nd ed backpacks and mating them to Forgeworld heresy armor with Forgeworld night raptor heads. Gonna convert up some proper looking raptors.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Pro Click, the guy who was building the multi tiered gaming table with a underground forge and cavern updated it

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/619332.page#7331915

That's similar to a table I saw at one of the Games Day Chicago events (:rip:) that had a space hulk with underground elements. It was a pick up and play event, so I hopped on and hot dice won the day for us. Despite the dice being evil to the Orks it was tremendously fun having Stormtroopers rampage through Ork units in a subterranean board.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is the secret.
This is the pro way right here. I've been doing that with my vehicles for years and it's the way to go.

I really wish the previous metal Raptors got ported to plastic, but the new designs are decent. They just look a little too much like Chaos Assault Marines instead of Raptors, if you get what I mean. The Raptors you got to play as in Space Marine's multiplayer seemed like a decent compromise.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LordAba posted:

Oh Duncan, only you can make the Maleceptor look good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevL5Rvn0Jc

I like this tutorial because it shows the many "rough coat" stages rather than pretending that painting is, "APPLY CHAOS BLACK" then, "APPLY RED HIGHLIGHTS."

I still do not realize why GW tells people to apply a coat of black, then cover that color completely, the completely cover the next color. I truly do not understand why they tell people to waste time and paint this way.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is the secret.

Base coat

If you don't mind me asking - how do you get such a bloody nice and vibrant base coat?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

they tell people to waste paint and buy MORE.

Fixed.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 6, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I like this tutorial because it shows the many "rough coat" stages rather than pretending that painting is, "APPLY CHAOS BLACK" then, "APPLY RED HIGHLIGHTS."

I still do not realize why GW tells people to apply a coat of black, then cover that color completely, the completely cover the next color. I truly do not understand why they tell people to waste time and paint this way.

Paint is semi transparent. Its final colour is determined by the colours below it. Hence why black basecoat models look darker than white basecoat models. If you do not understand this I think maybe you should be watching more of those videos.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

haakman posted:

If you don't mind me asking - how do you get such a bloody nice and vibrant base coat?

If the entire model is primary color blue, spraypaint it primary color blue.

Seriously, don't base coat a model white or black unless it helps make a better mini. Sometimes, it's necessary to base coat a different color then spray over it another color, but the structural stress of minis is far less than, for instance, the exterior or even the interior of a house. You can just color the damned mini in its major color then seal it with lacquer after it's completed to prevent grubby grognard hands from scraping off your work.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Safety Factor posted:

I think I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way while I'm here: :goonsay:

Whatever you do, don't look at the axles on an Ork trukk. :v:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

LordAba posted:

Oh Duncan, only you can make the Maleceptor look good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevL5Rvn0Jc

Had no idea this channel existed, it's actually pretty neat. It feels like everyone switched to only doing airbrush tutorials, so this is quite nice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

100% agree with you on what you said. I love everything about the old models, except for the flame things and old proportions. The heads, backpacks, and bird like style just makes them so predatory and unique.

My pet project is taking 12 2nd ed backpacks and mating them to Forgeworld heresy armor with Forgeworld night raptor heads. Gonna convert up some proper looking raptors.

I'm doing something kind of similar. My Night Lords are a strong mix of chaos marine kits, Forge World bits, and looted imperial parts for flavor. I have like 30 metal jump packs I scored off of ebay a while back for my raptors. Getting them on is a bit of a hassle though since the plastic raptors have a different back-mount setup than most marines. I have to pin everything in place and add some greenstuff to fill in the gaps, but I think it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

I have like 5 or 6 of the old metal models if anyone wants to buy them. I prefer the newer ones.

• Locked thread