Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Never Been Banned posted:

The very first day i found the site i got so excited that i started digging in broad daylight, in full view of one of those huge asian tour groups you sometimes see around touristy locations. There was seriously a double decker bus worth of Chinese sight seers perusing this tiny place and I was out there trying to chop my way through the sun baked clay. TheY probably didn't mistake me for a gardner or anyone legit, but nobody said anything. I didn't even have the spot correct at that point. What a saga.

go out there right now and do it

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Corek posted:

Did anyone dig up the one in Cambridge MA, which was probably located behind the gate at Harvard with the last line of the poem written on it?

Is there a write up about the spot?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Demonachizer posted:

Is there a write up about the spot?

You'll have to ask xie if this is the current working theory, but here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=60034&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post416956844

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I'm positive you'll find a way...

Good luck to you! :)

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
So are you going to dig it up?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
post the proof you pussy

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Deadite posted:

So are you going to dig it up?

Very soon.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If anyone asks questions, you're a college student researching buried treasure and you think you're onto something big. Who's going to question that and a 60 page document? Also, set up a camera and tripod as you dig. I want to see the moment you succeed.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wanted a companion to come along? I'm a PNW goon, though I'm in the Seattle area. I didn't think there were any in Seattle (or anywhere in the PNW).

A GBS thread had me go out to a graveyard in the middle of the night and find a mysterious box.

I'm down with this kind of thing.

(I wish that OTP22 thing was figured out...)

Edit: Alternatively I can see what I can do about doing it by myself, give you all the credit for being the mastermind, and let you avoid risking misdemeanor charges or whatever.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 6, 2014

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Just go to a library and post a craigslist ad saying you are the government and are looking for an independent contractor type to do some digging at the location for whatever reason - then respond back and forth a few times (this will require several trips to the library) and agree to do it on your end. If you get caught at the location, just point back to the craigslist ad and the stupid police will spend their time trying to figure out what the gently caress...

I am only kind of joking.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hmmm... Pacific northwest... Unbelievably long explanation ...
This is a parachute account for Urban Smurf, isn't it?

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hmmm... Pacific northwest... Unbelievably long explanation ...
This is a parachute account for Urban Smurf, isn't it?

Negative my good man. That's some decent gumshoeing though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 23, 2016

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
drat it, loving dig!

Just keep the top layer of sod in good shape and you'll be able to re-fill the hole and replace the sod. The grass will grow back, and no permanent damage will have been done. Nobody's going to throw you in jail for that. And like other people said, get a park ranger interested in it. They dig poo poo up all the time, cut down trees, etc. They aren't going to care if you dig a hole. Just don't go to them with a 60 page document. Show them the book (if you have it) and the picture, and show them why you think that's the spot to dig. People are loving excited about buried treasure! They're not going to say no.

Edit: And show them copies of news articles about previous finds. They'll think you're less of a nutjob then, and they might get excited about the publicity.

Dr. Bit fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 6, 2014

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
the treasure was on the plane

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda hoping this guy just digs a hole and jumps in then someone else fills the hole.

Or that he posts his manifesto.

One or the other.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Kinda hoping this guy just digs a hole and jumps in then someone else fills the hole.

Or that he posts his manifesto.

One or the other.

I want to read the manifesto. And then steal his treasure.

Is this the one on that island that urban smurf was going on about?

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

godspeed o feckless goons

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...
Well I posted here so that I'd feel a little pressure, and I'd say it's working so far. I'll dig as soon as I can get to the site again. Also, the "manifesto" is mostly pictures, but I'm sure this thread will be enjoying it in due time.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

ExtraNoise posted:

(I wish that OTP22 thing was figured out...)

A lot is still hapening with it, it WAS confirmed as an acyual ARG after some accidental media attention.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

you guys are probably never going to find one of these because they've all been paved over in the last 30 years

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Many of them have. Houston almost definitely.

I am (happily) willing to buy a plane ticket to wherever this is, NBB, because I'm a bona fide crazy person about this hunt. We should talk (I'm going to PM you if you have it).

There isn't one in Cambridge MA. I think I know where the Boston one was with a decent degree of certainty. One of two locations anyway, one of which is paved over but used to not be. The other would be solution posted on Q4T, but I've soured on it for a number of reasons. But it put me on the right track...

I will say that my Boston solution is very similar to NBB's ramblings. The amount of matches that *I* think there are (this is the important thing) is almost unending. I mean to the point of when you look at the aerial map of my site, there is a crack on the wall of Painting 12 that looks exactly like the street layout did in 1980. And the cutouts of the gypsy's hair are a representation of the skyline as visible from the site. And there is a picture of a bench hidden in #12 that is adjacent to the site.

What I'm confused about is the fact that the only PNW cask believed out there is SF, which I wouldn't really call PNW... so you're presenting a bit of a paradigm shift in the current thought process.

And yes, Q4T is awful. I spend most of my time just trolling and annoying people there, though work picked up and I haven't been on in a bit.

edit: To clarify, I'm literally crazy about this hunt (like Jim Carrey in The Number 23) and I'm no longer actively hunting for Boston. I believe I have a solution that starts with an image found in the painting and ends with a place hinted at by the final line in the verse. Because I'm almost sure it was paved over I'll probably write it up and post it at some point.

There's a twist to the "solution" I have that makes me almost positive it's correct. A tiny little wink that seems exactly the type of thing that Preiss would appreciate. There are no stretches of "in truth be free," it's what we thought it was: Harvard. It's just not in Harvard Sq :)

xie fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 6, 2014

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Never Been Banned posted:

Well I posted here so that I'd feel a little pressure, and I'd say it's working so far. I'll dig as soon as I can get to the site again. Also, the "manifesto" is mostly pictures, but I'm sure this thread will be enjoying it in due time.

Hell yeah! Worst that can happen is you'll have a story for your kids that you were arrested while digging up buried treasure. That'll be worth the fine or whatever.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

ThePutty posted:

you guys are probably never going to find one of these because they've all been paved over in the last 30 years

If not paved over then certainly no longer there. I'm 99% certain the Roanoke Island one has been destroyed through 30+ years of storms, hurricanes, and what not, assuming it was planted nearish to the shore in loose soil/sand like I think.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

AcidRonin posted:

A lot is still hapening with it, it WAS confirmed as an acyual ARG after some accidental media attention.

Do you have a link? I'd love to see what's going on now. I still have the memory card and dollar bill I got off that metal box hidden under ivy in a dark cemetery in the woods.

Also, NBB, I was serious about volunteering to help if it was in the PNW.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

joshtothemaxx posted:

If not paved over then certainly no longer there. I'm 99% certain the Roanoke Island one has been destroyed through 30+ years of storms, hurricanes, and what not, assuming it was planted nearish to the shore in loose soil/sand like I think.

I believe the most current "feeling" is that it was not by the bench, and likely wasn't buried on Roanoke proper. I've been in touch with someone who has been there and detailed their trip for me at great length. I believe them to be rational and sane, and trust their analysis. This person has traveled to Chicago and Cleveland and re-created both existing solves, so they understand the method, the feelings, and the image matches.

It doesn't mean it isn't gone, but I don't think it was where you're referring to.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

You shouldn't dig. I mean, you've totally been obsessing about this for years, wrote a sixty loving page document about it, been to the site multiple times, started digging at least once already, have cockteased everyone here "I've got the solution, but won't tell you about it nyah nyah," but nah... don't actually go dig again or try accomplishing anything. Why bother? Just walk away from it bro. Great job and high fives all around.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Xie just post the boston location

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why don't you just rob the loving bank and take the gems

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

ExtraNoise posted:

I still have the memory card and dollar bill I got off that metal box hidden under ivy in a dark cemetery in the woods.
I imagine there is some kind of entertaining story behind this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hey i buried a mug under a stick, here's the associated riddle:

piece of crap
in the ground
near a triangle
chili's famous for wings

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't wait till Never Been Banned digs, finds nothing, and then posts his manifesto and it's just a bunch of Urban Smurf nonsense.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

You shouldn't dig. I mean, you've totally been obsessing about this for years, wrote a sixty loving page document about it, been to the site multiple times, started digging at least once already, have cockteased everyone here "I've got the solution, but won't tell you about it nyah nyah," but nah... don't actually go dig again or try accomplishing anything. Why bother? Just walk away from it bro. Great job and high fives all around.

This, except ironically

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Deadite posted:

Xie just post the boston location

Yeah I will, I just don't have the time to take the pics and write it up. I'm not being secretive about it. Even if I'm right the area was paved over a long time ago.

Posting the location isn't going to convince anyone of anything, but here you go: I believe it was buried at the Rowland Institute at Harvard, located at 100 Edwin H. Land Blvd. Cambridge, MA 02142

Edwin H. Land, of course, is the inventor of the Polaroid.

In 1980, as soon as you crossed the Longfellow Bridge (which of course is obviously in the verse) the street used to look exactly like the crack in the wall on the right side of the painting (next to her hair and the portal). It was two streets that converged into a straight, and then the Rowland Institute used to be much smaller, and the building with its line of trees behind it is shaped like the rest of the crack.

It's the only Harvard building for a long ways as well.

This is all more convincing when you see the start location (which contains a huge image from the painting and smaller ones) and the route, which matches the verse and contains other smaller images along the way. I was just going to make up a little PDF and hopefully grab some decent pictures on a sunny day, work just hasn't cooperated.

xie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 6, 2014

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

xie posted:

I will say that my Boston solution is very similar to NBB's ramblings. The amount of matches that *I* think there are (this is the important thing) is almost unending. I mean to the point of when you look at the aerial map of my site, there is a crack on the wall of Painting 12 that looks exactly like the street layout did in 1980. And the cutouts of the gypsy's hair are a representation of the skyline as visible from the site. And there is a picture of a bench hidden in #12 that is adjacent to the site.

Replied to your PM. And yes, when you're actually in the right location, with the right poem and painting paired, the number of matches you spot actually ends up being overwhelming and unhelpful. It took me forever to sort through them all and figure out which were the important ones. It sounds insane to say I went for 60 loving pages pointing them out, but I actually did a pretty lazy job of it to be honest, and just omitted everything non essential that was going to be either tricky to describe in writing, or really requires an in-person level of familiarity with the place to believe.

The paintings (at least this one) really are loving crazy dense works of composite-perspective-madness. They're well done, managing to somehow be super descriptive of an area while remaining subtle as hell until you get a grip on them. My experience indicates that they've got information in them down to a finer scale than has been appreciated thus far, for the most part.

wa27 posted:

I can't wait till Never Been Banned digs, finds nothing, and then posts his manifesto and it's just a bunch of Urban Smurf nonsense.

also gotta just empty quote this to acknowledge the mad hubris i'm displaying ITT.

Never Been Banned fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 6, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I propose a mod challenge for Never Been Banned (who has been banned.)

Give him X amount of time to dig and document his findings and post his manifesto or just post the drat thing or face a permaban. X = 1 week seems a fair amount of time.

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Waltzing Along posted:

I propose a mod challenge for Never Been Banned (who has been banned.)

Give him X amount of time to dig and document his findings and post his manifesto or just post the drat thing or face a permaban. X = 1 week seems a fair amount of time.

I'm working with multiple people via PM to share the information and get the thing done. Posting the poo poo outright and turning the process over to whatever dumb pubbie with a shovel gets to the site first would be foolhardy, gently caress up the site for us, and I'm not going to do it until I've hosed this up on my own somehow, and have given up on this thread getting it done tidily.

No permaban challenge needed.

Mods TIA

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Before I started poking around with tools in Boston I hired a criminal lawyer. You guys may laugh and say "just dig fags!!!!" but my job and my life are worth a lot more to me than these casques, and police are not always rational. Especially in Boston after the bombing.

They've been in the ground for 32 years, I think they can wait a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

xie posted:

Before I started poking around with tools in Boston I hired a criminal lawyer. You guys may laugh and say "just dig fags!!!!" but my job and my life are worth a lot more to me than these casques, and police are not always rational. Especially in Boston after the bombing.

They've been in the ground for 32 years, I think they can wait a bit longer.

Uh wrong. Do it now.