Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zaggitz posted:

If i enter Sheol do i still get the reward from the big chest for beating moms heart?

Was I supposed to open the big chest before going into Sheol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It really feels like some of these runs are seeded with synergy intentionally. I just finished an incredibly easy Eve run where I got the burning/explosive tears, then got Pyromaniac, the remote bomb detonator, and Bobs head. Of course I dropped the detonator when a heaven room dropped an item that gave you white hearts every five rooms :psyduck:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Zoness posted:

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

No, he didn't do the music for this game. Which is a shame, because for the most part the music is a lot more "atmospheric" I guess? But it's not nearly as good as the old music. I kinda like the music that plays in sword rooms sometimes, but a lot of the other music sounds like really short loops of "spooky" noises, instead of creepy/awesome music like in vanilla BoI.

Edit VVVVVV: http://platinumgod.co.uk

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can someone link me the url.co.uk link that is supposedly a wiki or something? I've seen people linking it but can't find it now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

drunken officeparty posted:

Can someone link me the somethingsomething.co.uk link that is supposedly a wiki or something? I've seen people linking it but can't find it now.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/

Platinum God, like the old 100% achievement. Hit the "Rebirth?" slider on the top right to switch to Rebirth items.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

rabidsquid posted:

It really feels like some of these runs are seeded with synergy intentionally. I just finished an incredibly easy Eve run where I got the burning/explosive tears, then got Pyromaniac, the remote bomb detonator, and Bobs head. Of course I dropped the detonator when a heaven room dropped an item that gave you white hearts every five rooms :psyduck:

The items you pick up change what items you get later. IIRC in the original picking up Dr. Fetus would increase the odds of getting the bomb-related pickups by 500%. Stuff like that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

I guess that's a thing that can happen now, unless it's a bug. :psyduck:

On the subject of Dr.Fetus, I did the DemoMan challenge and Dr.Fetus certainly feels a lot weaker. Only reason I actually beat the challenge was getting a dice room and turning me into a double brimstone daddy long leg stomping monster. Also...completing it unlocked Chaos Card rather than Epic Fetus...ooooo boy, gonna be fun finding out where to properly unlock that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Boy I'm doing really well this run. I have a ton of hearts so I should be able to beat the heart safely. Finally gonna get a win with Maggie!"

*encounters new boss, dies horribly in 20 seconds*

:negative:

Zoness posted:

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

I don't think he is. I have mixed feelings about the soundtrack in this game as well. Some tracks are really good (basement and the boss theme are really nice), while others are very meh compared to the original. The weird thing is a lot of them have terrible background noise that could be cut out and that alone would improve the music a ton. The silly chanting in Sheol and the meat squishing in Womb are good examples of that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just unlocked the Lucky Toe by bombing a bunch of those blue dudes sitting around in the secret rooms.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Lil'haunt is my bff. Soo good

There is a Shop item called BFF, but I couldnt tell what it did. Something to do with buddy's I'd imagine but I was doing a challenge and only had that headless one that leaves a trail of blood.

Does anybody know what each upgrade of the shop actually does? More/better items or what?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I hope nothing cool gets its power nerfed, but anything "overpowered" gets its rarity nerfed. The existence of overpowered runs is a good thing in my book, but they seem way too common.

On the subject of rarity, I've gotten Sacred Heart twice now in the first 48 hours the game was out, as opposed to getting it like once every three months as in the original game.

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Search for "Binding of Isaac Demo" and try the demo on Newgrounds or wherever it's hosted first, if you want. That'll give you a taste of what Isaac is all about. But yeah, get Rebirth.

Zoness posted:

The new music is definitely a downgrade, but it's more atmospheric/ambient music instead of the intense feel of the original game's music. I guess that's what Edmund wanted to go for. In some ways it fits the new game better, I think.

I turned the music off because I like to watch things on my other monitor, and even the ambient music is distracting. One thing I really miss though: in the original game, even if you had the music off, using something like the Unicorn Horn would play its special music. Since now it just speeds the music up, you don't get any kind of audio clue it's started. It's really jarring when using Taurus. There's also no audio cue when going into a boss room or finding a mini-boss.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Does anyone understand what breath of life actually does? Platinum God seems to imply that you hold down the button to take damage to get invulnerability frames. Which doesn't really seem like a good item, considering that you could just get hit normally.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just right, up, right in the treasure room from the start point. Is it not the same on your end? There's an interesting thought, non-code seeds having different results between machines...

In here:

From what I've been reading, if you don't have some items unlocked, the game just replaces it with something you do have unlocked, as a failsafe. Presumably it's got some preference order.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

There is a Shop item called BFF, but I couldnt tell what it did. Something to do with buddy's I'd imagine but I was doing a challenge and only had that headless one that leaves a trail of blood.

Does anybody know what each upgrade of the shop actually does? More/better items or what?

the bff fly explodes when he touches an enemy, respawns every room, possibly even during the same room but i might have not seen that right. its fairly good, the fly is a bro

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ There are two items; BFF Fly(BBF) and BFF.

Logan 5 posted:

BFF makes your familiars bigger(and presumably do more damage).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SuicideSnowman posted:

Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus trivialized the last game. I don't really see an issue with super powerful but rare items. If it's so powerful just make it extremely rare.

But then you still know that somewhere out there someone is still using it right now. And doesn't that just make you hate life?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
dunno I just spent 30 minutes unable to get a run off the loving ground because the game deigned to give me the most boring milquetoast items possible so I'd say I'm quite down with the idea of broken and overpowered poo poo kicking around because if the entire game was balanced to be around the level of what I just got dealt I wouldn't play this game out of sheer tedium

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RatHat posted:

^^^ There are two items; BFF Fly(BBF) and BFF.

BFF makes your familiars bigger(and presumably do more damage).

Ah, thanks, guess I just didn't pay close enough attention to it when I picked up.

Has anyone else noticed that on the pause screen the luck stat never actually changes from 1? At least for me it doesnt, even after luck items like the scab/lucky foot or luck up pills. Bug?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, anything that causes friendly bugs to spawn at any sort of rate (the infestations, mom's wig, etc) is totally OP. Every one of my wins so far has hinged on having them.

Also, Haunt has officially replaced Widow for the title older of "Worst Thought Out Placement in the Game". Seriously, he pops up on the first floor WAY too often considering how fast he and his babies are.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The worst runs are the ones that give you ridiculous survivability items but no damage upgrades. Bosses aren't hard but taking loving forever to beat.

Similarly, gently caress Soy Milk.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Ah, thanks, guess I just didn't pay close enough attention to it when I picked up.

Has anyone else noticed that on the pause screen the luck stat never actually changes from 1? At least for me it doesnt, even after luck items like the scab/lucky foot or luck up pills. Bug?

It goes up, I think it took me 3-4 luck up pills to get to 2 ticks.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Azazel is terrible, charged shots are terrible, brimstone is terrible.

I unironically agree with this. Charge times actually make the game un-fun for me, regardless of the wow-factor post-shot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cobalt60 posted:

I unironically agree with this. Charge times actually make the game un-fun for me, regardless of the wow-factor post-shot.
:siren: SCRUB ALERT :siren:

Just kidding, plenty of people didn't like Brimstone in the original game either.

Speaking of which, Ludivico on Azazel is obviously super good, but I didn't realize that it would also make poison and freeze powerups actually useful on him since the brimstone ring counts as constantly hitting an enemy, rather than just the big shot it would normally be. Froze+poisoned every boss, although they weren't exactly going to last long anyway. Love the new combinations so god drat much :allears:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

He sure is terrible, being the most reliable way to Win streak right now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cobalt60 posted:

I don't find Azazel bad, I just find him not-fun. Yet I keep playing him because I suck and he's my best bet for a no-damage streak that will give me Samson. :suicide:

His Baby Brimstone is going to give me tinnitus.

Fucker absolutely melts bosses though. I can barely make it to Mom reliably on other characters yet I beat the boss-rush without trying with him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugh, the worst part of Head Trauma is that I'm pretty much guaranteed to gently caress up at least one bomb per run by forgetting to wait til all the shots are clear before dropping it.

e:

:wtc:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 6, 2014

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
God drat I'm getting some serious confirmation bias with hard mode. I've been playing exclusively hard mode today and went on an astonishing -10 win streak. As soon as I tick it back to normal I beat the Cathedral for the first time. Hard mode isn't really that much tougher, I think I'm just psyching myself out.

Has it been confirmed that there are unique achievements/unlocks for hard mode?

apophenium fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 6, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any specific way to control wether you can get a Cathedral/Sheol dungeon? I hate getting to Mom and ending the game because I couldn't continue.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I picked up the experimental serum (all stats up + randomized) as ??? and died. Damnit, I'd been getting speed and range ups all game that could have been great for me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dizz posted:

Is there any specific way to control wether you can get a Cathedral/Sheol dungeon? I hate getting to Mom and ending the game because I couldn't continue.

A joker card should do it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
All of you saying that the music is worse are crazy. If you don't think that this or this (or especially this) are great I don't even know what to say.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
OH MY GOD, the green leaf powerup that turns you into an invincible stone if you don't move for a second totally works even if you have a Ludivico brimstone ring. You can't move the circle without the rock breaking, but you can totally walk into a room, put the ring in the middle, and then stand there while everything dies and you're invincible.

This is in a run where I'm already full guppy, have frozen + poisoned effects on my Ludivico brimstone ring, have three orbitals, the buddy that lays down a slow path for enemies, and am Azazel. This is rivaling some of the original game's super broken "have literally every powerup in the game" runs. I literally can't lose.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

President Ark posted:

The items you pick up change what items you get later. IIRC in the original picking up Dr. Fetus would increase the odds of getting the bomb-related pickups by 500%. Stuff like that.

I didn't have any idea about that so thanks for letting me know! I never really messed with the wiki or anything I guess. This might be confirmation bias but on my run where I unlocked Lord of the Flies there were several massive rooms full of flies leading up to things later in the run too. Stupid brain making up patterns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guppy mode in Head Trauma is nuts, but I'm not sure I want to give up the boss shredding power of the shears.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I had a run that gifted me with middling tear upgrades but a fuckton of babies: Maggie, Harlequin, Brim, Dry, Dark Bum, three flies, Bandage ball level 2, holy water and 1up.

I managed to beat Mom's heart somewhat well but Sheol started kicking my rear end(too many babies, too little firepower). I got to satan which promptly smashed me and used my 1up.
I farmed some rocks and confronted Satan again with two hearts and two souls... The krampus was manageable(thanks brimstone baby) but Satan first phase ate three hearts. Managed to survive the stompy phase by running around non stop and gluing my finger to the drop bomb button(I had 80+ bombs) .I just had to pay attention to the leeches and my own stray explosions.

First Sheol win!

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 6, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dis astranagant posted:

Guppy mode in Head Trauma is nuts, but I'm not sure I want to give up the boss shredding power of the shears.
You don't need to keep the spacebar item to stay Guppy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

You don't need to keep the spacebar item to stay Guppy.

Was just about to post that :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE!!!

I suck at this game, and now its going to kick my rear end even more?!? :shepicide:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

All of you saying that the music is worse are crazy. If you don't think that this or this (or especially this) are great I don't even know what to say.

I dunno it's not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmhqonMXBo or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmFlsVUCBc4 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFaTP4FoRfU.

And specifically the ambience for caves and depths is just annoying and I miss the goofy 8 bit unicorn invincibility theme.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

IronicDongz posted:

they're alright, I'd take it as a lateral move. Although I prefer My Innermost Apocalypse over that.

Unfortunately, none of us will get to hear the music that is actually good but from way late in the game because everyone will have muted the soundtrack earlier as a result of the migraine-inducing Depths track.