Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ManOfTheYear posted:

I thik I've been overtraining a bit: My weeks have consisted of 8 or 9 training sessions with 2-4 being judo/sambo combined with running, calisthenics and weight training and now my knees and elbows are aching a bit. Not in a way that it would be too painful or prevent me for sleeping or anything, but I can definitely tell that they are aching. I'm gonna rest four or five days and see how I feel after that but is there anything else that would help me? Eating a lot is probably a one thing, but what about keeping my joints warm with hot pouches or something?

Don't wanna injure myself via stupidity.

Take this MSM stuff with de fishoil after eating lots if your joints ache (or if you are balding). But also rest more. It doesn't take courage or effort to overtrain. Anyone who gets into training can do that. In fact, most do at some point.

It takes courage and effort to rest enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

Take this MSM stuff with de fishoil after eating lots if your joints ache (or if you are balding). But also rest more. It doesn't take courage or effort to overtrain. Anyone who gets into training can do that. In fact, most do at some point.

Also balding and I'm 23. I'll eat the poo poo out of it if it stops balding. And yeah, I gotta rest more.

MMA question though: i have a problem with staying in punching distance, I've gotten much better at getting into clinch and throwing my opponent, but trying to land punches and outboxing sure is hard. Any tips?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The unofficial world HEMA tournament Swordfish wrapped up this past weekend, and Al Jazeera was there to document it. Here's the video they published, featuring my friend and colleague Axel Pettersson, arguably the world's best longsword fencer, who went on to take first place again this year.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also balding and I'm 23. I'll eat the poo poo out of it if it stops balding. And yeah, I gotta rest more.

I started balding when 21. I always knew you didn't care for your joints. You just wanted anti-balding tips.

And I'm the man to give those. (I'm almost completely bald.)

quote:

MMA question though: i have a problem with staying in punching distance, I've gotten much better at getting into clinch and throwing my opponent, but trying to land punches and outboxing sure is hard. Any tips?

This is not an MMA question any more than it is a beginner boxer or kickboxer question. The thing is, you don't trust your range. You don't actually know instinctively how far your arms reach. You think you can't reach your target, so you step in, or are too far, or hug before throwing punches. Straight punches are usually the issue. Hooks and uppercuts, well, you know when you are in the clinch... Anyway this is common; you are not alone.

Go next to a heavy bag. Figure out your distance for a straight jab or cross, arm fully extended, turning your leg, waist, body, shoulder (in this sequence). The correct distance is when you can fully extend your arms and hit the bag maybe half in an inch through it. Try it out, throw a jab jab cross, extending your punches to the extreme. Your arm is always 100% extended when you hit the bag. If the bag starts swinging around like a motherfucker, you are shoving it, not puching it. If the bag just sort of shivers (but stays in place otherwise) and you can hear a crisp leather to leather *crack* with each connect, ahhh, that's your correct range.

Then do 10 000 rounds of throwing straight punches at the bag so that it doesn't move, only shivers while your straight punches make the satisfying *THWACK*. The crisp crack the bag makes while not moving when you connect tells you are doing it right.

Now practice this stuff with someone holding the mitts, stepping forwards and backwards, preferably with someone who will also slap you in the face with the mitt every time you underextend. For 10 000 rounds.

(You might not need 10 000 repeats but for reals, but it's probably a good idea to do those and then go for 100 000, depending.)

edit: a really good drill, which at least kickboxers and MMA fighers (but probably everyone) does or should do, even the elderly: take a pair. Try your distance with a fully extended jab. If it just reaches his/her forehead, that is your distance. Now choose who leads and who follows. Do a round of simply moving in the ring, following the leader as he moves, so that you are constantly in the range to hit with your fully extended jab. No need to even throw it. Just keep in range. Not too close, not too far.

Striking drillz 101. But believe me, if you don't practice that stuff, you are going to be hosed up with your range. 1% of people don't need to train that because they are freaks with spatial awareness and limb length, but 99% of us do need to, pro strikes who have done it for 15 or 20 years still do this drill weekly or daily.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 5, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Double post, but whatever. All that crap ya'll read from the magazine you just bought, which contemplates the issue of how hard it is to get to the gym, but you should just go anyway because it makes you feel so good blah blah? It's bullshit. For anyone who really trains, at least. Over time, when you have set a regular pattern of going into the gym or boxing club or whatever, when it becomes second nature, the problem is going too often instead of not going.

So many people try and train too much.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

Double post, but whatever. All that crap ya'll read from the magazine you just bought, which contemplates the issue of how hard it is to get to the gym, but you should just go anyway because it makes you feel so good blah blah? It's bullshit. For anyone who really trains, at least. Over time, when you have set a regular pattern of going into the gym or boxing club or whatever, when it becomes second nature, the problem is going too often instead of not going.

So many people try and train too much.

This is very much true for me. If I have free time and energy, I excercise and 95% of the time I have the energy. If I don't, I just sleep and rest and not do anything anyway. It feels like I am using my time much better this way, because rather than just goofing off and doing whatever, I'm gaining more and more athleticism and skill and getting better at teaching others and that investment has paid itself tremendously. I got recommendation papers from my club when I applied to school and I've scored my jobs in child protective services and working as a bouncer because of ten years of combat sports practice. Also teaching has made me a very good talker which is useful everywhere.

Training has paid off so well for me on every level of my life it's almost ridiculous. Staying off the mat or the gym just feels a waste of time. Resting is way more harder than training.

Again, thanks for the stand-up advice. I'm mostly practicing sambo and grappling so I don't get too much striking practice nowdays not counting mma/combat sambo sparring. It's kinda about figuring out what goes where, but it's going pretty well.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ligur posted:

I started balding when 21. I always knew you didn't care for your joints. You just wanted anti-balding tips.

And I'm the man to give those. (I'm almost completely bald.)

Is it better to be 100% bald and wear a hat or pretend to be not balding :v:?

Back on topic I won't somehow injure myself as a beginner if I haven't been exercising often right? Ofc, I'd follow directions and not make a nuisance of myself at the gym.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alder posted:

Back on topic I won't somehow injure myself as a beginner if I haven't been exercising often right? Ofc, I'd follow directions and not make a nuisance of myself at the gym.

Decent gyms know how to work with beginners, after all most of their students were brand new at one point. You likely won't be asked to do anything particularly dynamic or dangerous on day 1.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 6, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alder posted:

I've just started to lose my hair a little bit. I said to my friends if I ever start looking like a dumbass getting my hair cut like I normally do tell me straight out and I'll shave my head.

Might as well own it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Decent gyms know how to work with beginners, after all most of their students were brand new at one point. You likely won't be asked to do anything particularly dynamic or dangerous on day 1.

Alright, thanks for the reply. I'd been getting bad flashbacks to HS where I'd been asked to run 1 mile for a fitness test after a red-eye flight.

BlindSite posted:

I've just started to lose my hair a little bit. I said to my friends if I ever start looking like a dumbass getting my hair cut like I normally do tell me straight out and I'll shave my head.

Might as well own it.

It's kinda nice to save $ on shampoos and conditioner too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Had a rough week. Found out I can't drink anymore... AT ALL for various reasons (new meds + booze = :shepicide:). I black out after a small amount of booze now. When I black out I generally do stupid things like try to roll with friends, attempt suicide, talk to girls (big red flag) Dangerous and scary stuff. Seriously though, it's crazy. I'm a different person. My tolerance is almost gone. I never even knew something like this was possible. I was in the hospital briefly but they let me out a couple of days later due to the circumstances. I wasn't suicidal, it was just an accident. The VA agreed and let me go.

So, I can't train for a bit until my wrist/forearm heals. It's not bad in the least but, it's just more embarrassing than anything. It does hurt but only mildly. It should probably just take about a week to heal, which sucks since I was on quite the high before. But again, not trying to let this get me down. So I'll be back in there soon. Gotta stay positive and hopefully as active as I can get. We're pretty busy this week. We have the:

Wisconsin Xtreme Cagefighting :supaburn:.... I think

If you're in the greater Milwaukee area you should check it out. It's put on by Ben and I think we have 9 fighters in it this time from our gym. It's at the Racine Memorial Hall on Nov 8th and the doors open at 6pm. It's a fun time and you get to see some really good amateur and pro fights. I have a feeling there aren't many goons from this area though.

Anyway, I'll be there, and probably not drinking. :smith: At least I have my klonopin though. It keeps me docile. Hell, it helped me get through the midterm elections eh? Yay for not needing booze!

Edit - times, serious fun at the show. We've only had one "incident" that required someone being talked to. Polite people generally.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 6, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
drat.

quote:

So, I can't train for a bit until my wrist/forearm heals.
Could you go in there and do push kicks on a bag? That's what I used to do when I was otherwise hurt but still wanted to keep up the regularity of the gym.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Unfortunately there is very little time between classes to train on the equipment unless you're on the fight team. Probably Tue/Thu I could go in and work on a heavy bag with kicks or the "shin conditioner" (pretty much a very hard bag). I very much need work on those anyway.

Uhg, I have to slow this whole thing down and take it one day at a time. Who knows if I'll even do anything?

So tomorrow as a goal. At least show up to Rothwell, bring my bag and kick things during wrestling at 4:30pm when the other room is probably not being used.

Edit - Kickboxer with JCVD is on right now. :krad: :c00lbert: :munch:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 6, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Alder posted:

Alright, thanks for the reply. I'd been getting bad flashbacks to HS where I'd been asked to run 1 mile for a fitness test after a red-eye flight.

The difference between a MA gym and HS fitness tests is that MA gyms get your money and want your money so they make something of an effort to keep getting your money past the first week.

Hairchat: I got bored paying a barber shop to cut my hair so now I just buzz it off. Plus it's a bonus for biking everywhere with winter coming. I can shower and sauna at the gym not freeze my head.

Thankfully it's OK to have a shaved head these days without getting mistaken for a skinhead. It's so convenient.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hair-chat: I buzz my balding pate to a 1-2mm stubble every few weeks. Yeah, it's pretty neat you can rock a short stubble or shave clean and nobody will look twice these days,

More hair-chat: taking that joint enforcing MSM stuff I linked to earlier also has another interesting side effect, not only does it make your hair, but your nails grow at an accelerated rate and when taking MSM powder daily I need to shave my head at least once a week and clip my nails really often :stonk:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hair chat: I'm not balding but I'm 31 and have quite a bit of grey hair. I have it cut with a #2 on the sides and a #4 on top in winter, #3 in summer. It sucks that my hair is thin and grey but it's great to get a haircut maybe once a month or so. :toot:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

hair-chat: I think I want to shave off my beard and start cultivating the least-threatening most-employable looking haircut I possibly can so that I'm more like batman

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Decades posted:

Yeah Williamsburg MMA, formerly Williamsburg BJJ. I like the place a lot. I did a spiel at the end of page 265 that I don't wanna regurgitate but if you've got questions feel free.

No-gi on Monday. I'm going to get squished. :dance:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
We should have an NYC goon grapplefest one of these days

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
F'n A

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We should have an NYC goon grapplefest one of these days

This sounds like the grossest goon meet ever.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

This sounds like the grossest goon meet ever.

A bunch of sweaty rear end goons wrestling vs :gooncamp: hmm?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ligur posted:

I take quite a bit of supplements for general health and because I'm active and somehow missed MSM. After lots of googling it seems promising for the joints/connective tissue as well as hair and skin. So yeah, thanks. Getting the doctors best 1500mg/pill and probably going to take 2 a day

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I fly out there and bring extra KY jelly. :pervert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow, Apparently there is a program on TV now called Jean Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors.

It's on the REELZ network ao all of this must be legit.

We can learn his secrets. Come on guys. I'm watching it right now. We can learn the masters' secrets. Frank Dux was 100% real. Yeah! Kickboxer! Kumite! Bloodsport! blllaaarrrgggggg

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

hair-chat: I think I want to shave off my beard and start cultivating the least-threatening most-employable looking haircut I possibly can so that I'm more like batman

Beard-chat: the other side of my family starts greying in their early 30s. So even though I'm not close to 40 yet, I recently grew a longer beard than I have in almost a decade just for the fun of it and found it's almost completely grey. I'm in a crowded bus with high school aged teenagers, carrying my huge gym bag, going to work out and deadlift with 330 lbs, and this pretty 15 year old girl offers me her seat in case I'm too old and tired to stand :love:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow, Apparently there is a program on TV now called Jean Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors.

It's on the REELZ network ao all of this must be legit.

We can learn his secrets. Come on guys. I'm watching it right now. We can learn the masters' secrets. Frank Dux was 100% real. Yeah! Kickboxer! Kumite! Bloodsport! blllaaarrrgggggg

I broke my foot training for a big teukgong moosul tournament. I was gonna be the only white guy competing in the whole country and I was thinking "this is it, this is my kumite"

And now? Now? :( poo poo.

Also, Frank Dux is bullshit but I always figured Jean Claude Van Damme was probably pretty cool. Is better at martial arts than me for sure. Is he not cool for some reason like how Chuck Norris is a big rear end in a top hat in real life?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Van Damme does seem like a pretty cool dude who can take a joke and make a joke. Also he was a legit kickboxer and karate fellow and can do the splits no proooblem.

Van Dammes Lawyer posted:

There are records to document his martial arts acclaim. Why, just look at his movies; he didn't get those roles on his acting ability

If your lawyer says that then I dunno.. It's hilarious.

I wish Chuck Norris had better politics because he would be a cool dude as well if he did. Oh well...

mewse
May 2, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Also, Frank Dux is bullshit but I always figured Jean Claude Van Damme was probably pretty cool. Is better at martial arts than me for sure. Is he not cool for some reason like how Chuck Norris is a big rear end in a top hat in real life?

He legitimately trained and everything but in real life he's ~5'6 and pretty arrogant from what I've seen. The "most epic of splits" viral video was obviously written by someone else and he had just enough good humour to go along with it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

in real life he's ~5'6

He certainly doesn't seem to be ~5'6 in movie life :o

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The impression I got from Chuck Norris was that he was a nice dude with lovely political leanings. Doesn't he have a BJJ black belt?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The impression I got from Chuck Norris was that he was a nice dude with lovely political leanings. Doesn't he have a BJJ black belt?

Yeah, from the Machados. Chucks BJJ story.

edit: with interviews like this it's really hard to believe Chuck Norris is a horrible person in real life either.

In regards to "lovely" political leanings and what it tells about a person, they are very subjective. If you are a super liberal democrat voter, then his opinions IIRC might be lovely, if you are not, then they are not lovely: either way it doesn't mean he is a mean or uncool as a person.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 7, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Ligur posted:

In regards to "lovely" political leanings and what it tells about a person, they are very subjective. If you are a super liberal democrat voter, then his opinions IIRC might be lovely, if you are not, then they are not lovely: either way it doesn't mean he is a mean or uncool as a person.

I don't want to get into a whole massive thing in a thread about martial arts, but take a quick gander at this: http://www.wnd.com/2008/03/59697/ and you can probably see why a lot of people think he has lovely political beliefs. Also, if you have the perseverance to look through his other articles the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper.

Although to be honest, I'm extremely interested in Chuck Norris' take on Ebola.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 7, 2014

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'm a political person and like talking about that stuff, but letting it get mixed in with martial arts is very risky business. Speaking broadly about a big diverse community - it's not a very progressive one.

Decades fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I think martial arts shouldn't involve any politics or anything related towards any, say, religions leanings or your social status or whatever at all. The coolest thing about training MA's in a group is that the corporate CEO, the immigrant, the middle class salaryman man, the unemployed, the gay person, the disabled and the teenager and the pensioner all stand in the same line together doing the same things and what you are outside of the gym door doesn't mean anything at all.

Peace.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

I think martial arts shouldn't involve any politics or anything related towards any, say, religions leanings or your social status or whatever at all. The coolest thing about training MA's in a group is that the corporate CEO, the immigrant, the middle class salaryman man, the unemployed, the gay person, the disabled and the teenager and the pensioner all stand in the same line together doing the same things and what you are outside of the gym door doesn't mean anything at all.

Peace.

Well... maybe not the unemployed. I can't find a school from karate to boxing to BJJ around here for less than 150$ a month.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah ok respect Chuck Norris as a martial artist regardless of his politics and stuff.

But, he's also Walker Texas Ranger and... probably some other stuff. I kinda see him as a celebrity before seeing him as a martial artist. No different really than not liking Tom Cruise or something.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Training BJJ is great because it 1) grants me the opportunity to learn and grow and interact with suits and law enforcement and other types who I'd normally tend to avoid, thus humanizing them in my eyes, and 2) I also get to choke those people!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

A bunch of sweaty rear end goons wrestling vs :gooncamp: hmm?

I thought about this and came to the conclusion that it would be in fact the cleanest goonmeet. Mostly because if you want to be a grappler you must be hygienic.

Unless there an unhygienic goon grapler out there :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Mage of Blackest Night.jpg

• Locked thread