Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KingShiro posted:

Tiny planet + Ipecac is as awful as you'd imagine.
There is an item that makes you immune to your own explosions, though. Had fun with ipecac+tammy's head with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How could you not enjoy playing Azazel? His whole playstyle is based around flying right up close to things, obliterating them and running away. It's great.

Azazel is really interesting, but how viable it is depends on what you get in the long run. Having to get that close to mom's heart or something is a death sentence. Really nice for unlocking Eve or Samson, though. My first run with him I got so many different lasers, it was amazing.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Hooly crap dr fetus blows now. Demoman challenge was a chore.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Ran into this bug on the PS4 version. And other than failing to sync, which I'm assuming is server side, this has been the only issue I've seen with that version. Just randomly booted me to a loading screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76nr-Zgir0

I guess it was too much to hope for that an Edmund McMillen release would be bug free, but whatever. Are most of the issues thus far been for the PC version?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Alteisen posted:

Hard mode seems like a waste of time, other than a few champ enemies and bigger rooms I don't notice a huge difference, what is pissing me off is the lack keys and bombs, no room seems to drop anything when I empty it.

That doesn't sound fun. "You're not allowed to have keys," is a pretty crappy way to raise the game's difficulty. How many, if any, unlocks are hidden behind Hard Mode?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Azazel is really interesting, but how viable it is depends on what you get in the long run. Having to get that close to mom's heart or something is a death sentence. Really nice for unlocking Eve or Samson, though. My first run with him I got so many different lasers, it was amazing.

Yeah, I used him on a suicide run for Eve and it only took a few minutes. I can't imagine going too deep with him, though. Do Range Ups actually increase his range? They don't seem to.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 7, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus christ the suicide king challenge had me shrieking like a girl. And then

You defeat Mom's heart and the Cathedral light comes down and you yell "AW gently caress."

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uh I was playing as Azazel and got the item that makes your shots go around in circles and then I found Tammy's head and uhh...

(warning to headphone users)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQcCBsDDMc

Then I came across Mom's Knife thinking "MAN I BET THIS WILL MAKE IT AWESOME!"

No, it overrode everything and it was the end of the run.

Edit: was tiny planet that gave Azazel crazy tears

flyboi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 7, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Gave a shop 200 coins, now it sells 5 items. Can sell two of the "big" items at the same time. Owns.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

flyboi posted:

So uh I was playing as Azazel and got the item that makes your shots go around in circles and then I found Tammy's head and uhh...

(warning to headphone users)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQcCBsDDMc

Then I came across Mom's Knife thinking "MAN I BET THIS WILL MAKE IT AWESOME!"

No, it overrode everything and it was the end of the run.

I thought Brimstone + Mom's Knife was supposed to release a flurry of Mom's Knives? :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dork457 posted:

Ran into this bug on the PS4 version. And other than failing to sync, which I'm assuming is server side, this has been the only issue I've seen with that version. Just randomly booted me to a loading screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76nr-Zgir0

I guess it was too much to hope for that an Edmund McMillen release would be bug free, but whatever. Are most of the issues thus far been for the PC version?

I have had it crash to the loading screen for seemingly no reason while sitting still in a room. You can continue but it really sucks when you're at the end of a floor and it happens, because you have to start the floor over.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, I used him on a suicide run for Eve and it only took a few minutes. I can't imagine going too deep with him, though. Do Range Ups actually increase his range? They don't seem to.

Not sure, like I said I got a bunch of real lasers. I had the full room range version of his default laser by the end of the first area, and kept getting more laser options. Also got a bunch of health and damage. I actually killed mom's heart with him, and the boss gauntlet. It was really easy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something or does this room literally require you to take 1 heart of damage unless you have flight?

I mean, there are several rooms that you're basically doomed to take damage in, but I haven't seen one as blatant as this yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

The only things that seem to increase Azazel's range are Brimstone (which gives you the real deal, but it seems to charge a little faster on him) and Ludovico Technique (which wins the run). Pick up Tammy's Head and/or inner eye/mutant spider/polyphemus and you can instakill most bosses.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I thought Brimstone + Mom's Knife was supposed to release a flurry of Mom's Knives? :(

Azazel's starting weapon isn't Brimstone. I'm not sure what exactly it is but it's some bastardized form that only shoots like 2 tiles max length.

Edit: ^^^ Tiny Planet made the run more than survivable until I hosed up picking up the knife.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well I'm getting a bug now where if my controller powers off while the game is paused the game just crashes. That's what I get for trying to play while working I guess.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

LaughMyselfTo posted:

It does, Azazel's attack isn't brimstone.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

What does Anti-grav do with Azazel/Brimstone?

Also getting stuck with bad items is part of the game. It's why the Curse of Blindness(can't see what items are until you pick them up) can be dangerous.

It makes your Brimstone take about a second and a half to two seconds to go off after you let go of the button. So with Azazel's brimstone where you have to swoop in, shoot, and swoop out, you're really screwed because it's incredibly hard to time things that far in advance.

In other news, I really hope mods happen and that a No Greed mod happens. I haven't had a game go by where I haven't gotten both Greed and Super Greed on the two floors of the Depths when I'm all loaded up with cash and trying to find a shop to get something before I hit The Womb. God I loving hate Greed so, so, so much.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Comrade Flynn posted:

Azazel seed with Tammy's Head in the first floor: 3S3H 6STY

... yeaaaaaaaaaaah, this one's giving me homing bombs, not Tammy's Head. Anyone else?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Supremezero posted:

... yeaaaaaaaaaaah, this one's giving me homing bombs, not Tammy's Head. Anyone else?

Same, homing bombs :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just had a run where after saving up a bunch of money the last two floors with shops turned out to be Greed and Super Greed, each dropping Steam Sale. Thanks game.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
WZ2H 46PF

Got Tammy's Head in one tinted rock's locked chest, Basement I. I'm not sure if the seed includes those things, but it's worth a try for the ridiculous thing that is Azazel/Tammy's Head.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know how 9 Volt interacts with items that charge in one room? It'd be so good if it gave you two charges each time you beat a room :getin:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
On the second floor on my first attempt at the Solar System it went from an orbital challenge to a Lil Brimstone challenge. He came through for me. Me and Lil Brimstone are bros now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Magres posted:

Anyone know how 9 Volt interacts with items that charge in one room? It'd be so good if it gave you two charges each time you beat a room :getin:

iirc, it makes the charge based on a small timer instead of per room cleared.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Magres posted:

They charge over time. However the charge over time thing is not nearly as fast as Candle in regular BOI.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Cursed! challenge is way easy when you get the holy shield item that blocks 1 hit every room.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh hey, the blue flames aren't just cosmetic! You can bomb them for what I'm fairly sure is a 50% chance of a soul heart. Just unlocked ???, so that should be useful. I wonder if the purple flames give you evil hearts...

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

kalonZombie posted:

Here is my expert tip for people debating on stepping on one dot die rooms:

Don't do it.

Here is my advide:

Do it immediately, don't loving think! Do it! :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh hey, the blue flames aren't just cosmetic! You can bomb them for what I'm fairly sure is a 50% chance of a soul heart. Just unlocked ???, so that should be useful. I wonder if the purple flames give you evil hearts...

Nope. They're basically the blue-flame version of the red flames. They shoot at you every now and then. Same/similar chance for blue hearts as far as I can tell.

Observe Me posted:

Here is my advide:

Do it immediately, don't loving think! Do it! :getin:

Ditto, lost a run doing this but drat it was fun to have flaming quad-shot while I was losing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

On the second floor on my first attempt at the Solar System it went from an orbital challenge to a Lil Brimstone challenge. He came through for me. Me and Lil Brimstone are bros now.

Unless I have like three heart containers or less, I will always grab Lil Brimstone. He's bonkers good.

Technology 2 with Slow Shots is hilarious. I walked into the Boss Rush room with Tech 2 on, said 'huh I wonder if that'll give me slow lasers,' grabbed the Spider Bite, and spent the rest of the boss rush mode lasering things to death that were pinned on the far side of the room by my slowing lasers. Anything that got near got a taste of Lil Haunt (who's also super good, he Fears things he latches on to, and when something is slowed and feared it's doing absolutely nothing to threaten you). God that was fun

E: VVVVV I'm giving the Waka Waka challenge a whirl now and this is hilarious.

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 7, 2014

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just beat the Waka Waka challenge with this seed: HX02 XZJ1

It's full of tear fire-rate upgrades (tear up pills, cancer, etc). On the downside, you fire so many tears that everything in the room will magnetize to your position IMMEDIATELY if you stop moving ever.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Unlocking the D6 did not happen in the way I expected.

I had a really lovely ??? run, purely garbage devil deals, found only one damage upgrade plus a tears down pill I never made up for. Prayer card was my only way of generating spirit hearts. Somehow reached the cathedral through a stubborn refusal to die, went into the Isaac fight with 3½ spirit hearts and... won. Guess I really, really wanted that D6.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Hooly crap.
Also PRO tip, bomb shrooms and skulls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So my first "everything is terrible" run wasn't actually terrible. I had a really fun bomb themed run as Judas. Started with getting the bomb bag and later on I got a bunch of other bomb related items. The normally troublesome bob's brain was a boon since I was immune to my own explosions. Later on I got a unicorn stump, which grants you a brief invincibility period in each room but prevents you from firing. You can still lay bombs though, so I abused the hell out of that to get through tons of normally devastating rooms. This even got me through the cathedral!

Seed for anyone that cares; 2LM4CM3R

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

Really? Azazel plays like easy mode to me. I mean this is Binding of Isaac so "easy" is relative here, but I find having a massively powerful attack that I can clear most common enemies with near instantly gives a better advantage than any other character's starting abilities. Bosses, with a couple exceptions, are not all that bad and not what typically kills me on a run, so having to get up close and personal isn't a big deal.

Maggie is awful though. Being slow combined with the miserable room/item luck I have every time I play with her....

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had a run where, other than getting enough guppy items to become him, I got almost nothing but shot boosting items. I had almost no tricks up my sleeve, just a non-stop constant stream of maximum damage tears. Probably one of the easiest runs through the chest I've had.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I got a soy milk first treasure room. I havent gotten any tear change item other than shot speed and tears up since. I'm in Depths 1 and its taken me 45 loving minutes. gently caress this thing when enemies run at you. gently caress this thing when enemies run AWAY from you. gently caress this tedious, tedious thing when enemies are red and regenerate, meaning with plain soy milk you almost literally cant kill them without bombs

The only reason I'm still going is because my first devil deal was the bum, and I have a soul converter which is basically free devil deals. Now I just need an actual decent item in one of them. I'm only one guppy item away from transforming into guppy too, which sounds great with soy milk :argh:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

I got a soy milk first treasure room. I havent gotten any tear change item other than shot speed and tears up since. I'm in Depths 1 and its taken me 45 loving minutes. gently caress this thing when enemies run at you. gently caress this thing when enemies run AWAY from you. gently caress this tedious, tedious thing when enemies are red and regenerate, meaning with plain soy milk you almost literally cant kill them without bombs

The only reason I'm still going is because my first devil deal was the bum, and I have a soul converter which is basically free devil deals. Now I just need an actual decent item in one of them. I'm only one guppy item away from transforming into guppy too, which sounds great with soy milk :argh:

It seems to me that they went overboard on how little each shot does with the soy milk.

Also, libra has a wacky idea of what it means to be balanced. An Azazel run I picked it up on just had me with max damage...and 6 bars of luck. I remember someone mention that after a few luck up pills they barely got 2 bars?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

Really? Azazel plays like easy mode to me. I mean this is Binding of Isaac so "easy" is relative here, but I find having a massively powerful attack that I can clear most common enemies with near instantly gives a better advantage than any other character's starting abilities. Bosses, with a couple exceptions, are not all that bad and not what typically kills me on a run, so having to get up close and personal isn't a big deal.

Maggie is awful though. Being slow combined with the miserable room/item luck I have every time I play with her....

It is really hard to get close to the bullet hell bosses without taking damage. Since Azazel starts with no health and three black hearts, that matters a lot. I'd say Azazel starts off way stronger than most,if not all of the other characters but is also way more dependent on the RNG for long term viability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Seed for Azazel that gets Tammy's Head:

code:
6XNH
DL4J