Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

zoux posted:

All the irl cities exist in the DCU along with the fake cities. Metropolis isn't a stand in for NYC; NYC also exists.

I thought Metropolis was supposed to mirror Los Angeles

e: making Gotham (NYC mirror) and Metropolis two anchor points for the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcswizzle posted:

I always thought it was Chicago as it's the biggest city near Kansas

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Best explanation I heard was the old "Metropolis is New York during the day, Gotham is New York at night."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

All the irl cities exist in the DCU along with the fake cities. Metropolis isn't a stand in for NYC; NYC also exists.

While this is correct per the atlas that DC put out, it also places Metropolis in Delaware, a result I can't accept.

jng2058 posted:

Best explanation I heard was the old "Metropolis is New York during the day, Gotham is New York at night."

This I can.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I thought Gotham is supposed to be all the worst parts of NYC and Metropolis is all the best parts of NYC.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mcswizzle posted:

Christ no, whatever gave you that impression?

While the exact location of the major DC cities does shift around, depending on the story, Metropolis and Gotham have been pretty obviously and consistently East Coast cities. DC might never had the focus on New York Marvel had, but their offices were still located there until very recently.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

e X posted:

Christ no, whatever gave you that impression?

While the exact location of the major DC cities does shift around, depending on the story, Metropolis and Gotham have been pretty obviously and consistently East Coast cities. DC might never had the focus on New York Marvel had, but their offices were still located there until very recently.

Honestly, a general lack of interest in the DC-universe. I think I played a superman game once that had Metropolis as a sprawling city with a high skyline downtown but close access to beaches/the ocean. That always read (to me) LA + Santa Monica/San Diego.

But again, my experience is mostly from probably some sega-era Superman game.

e: Arrow and The Flash are revving my engine these days, but I still find it hard to really get into any DC characters. Maybe I just never read the good ones, but after a while I just handwaved the entire franchise. Haven't been impressed by the movies, (Nolan's batman's included). The DC-TV universe is on fire though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mcswizzle posted:

Honestly, a general lack of interest in the DC-universe. I think I played a superman game once that had Metropolis as a sprawling city with a high skyline downtown but close access to beaches/the ocean. That always read (to me) LA + Santa Monica/San Diego.

e: Arrow and The Flash are revving my engine these days, but I still find it hard to really get into any DC characters. Maybe I just never read the good ones, but after a while I just handwaved the entire franchise. Haven't been impressed by the movies, (Nolan's batman's included). The DC-TV universe is on fire though.

everything is east coast port cities.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mcswizzle posted:

Have you ever watched the JL/JLU cartoon? They might be a little dated by now, but they are still the most compelling versions of the characters to date.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Drifter posted:

Which is weird in its own way...the general Boston to Washington DC corridor apparently has 2 more mega-cities in the mix, in the DC universe.

I'm definitely one of those people who assumed both Metropolis and Gotham were stand-ins for Chicago, though. The former due to its relative proximity to Kansas, and the latter for its Prohibition-esque Al Capone crimeland thing.

That is, if Chicago had the cultural relevance that New York does. Metropolis is definitely supposed to be the biggest, most important American city in Superman stories I've been exposed to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Metropolis was originally based on Cleveland. The last time DC put out a map of the DC Earth Metropolis was further up the coast from NYC and Gotham was further south. Gateway City was north of LA, Keystone/Central were in the vicinity of Kansas City.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Star is Seattle, metropolis and gotham both NYC(gotham occasionally chicago too), coast is San Diego.

No, DC's San Diego is Sub Diego.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xealot posted:

I'm definitely one of those people who assumed both Metropolis and Gotham were stand-ins for Chicago, though. The former due to its relative proximity to Kansas, and the latter for its Prohibition-esque Al Capone crimeland thing.

That is, if Chicago had the cultural relevance that New York does. Metropolis is definitely supposed to be the biggest, most important American city in Superman stories I've been exposed to.

They both seem to largely be NY with aspects of other big cities cherry picked. Gotham definitely leans more towards Chicago specifically because of the alleys and the colorful criminal past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whizbang posted:

No, DC's San Diego is Sub Diego.

Same thing and also undone.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aphrodite posted:

Light is low level speed for the Flash.

There's like 4 levels above it he reaches.

The millennium falcon will do .5 past it. How many levels is that?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jscolon2.0 posted:

Grant Gustin made the show good, damnit.

GLEE - Uptown Girl (Full Performance) (Official M…: http://youtu.be/VejTLENKSzQ

GLEE - Smooth Criminal VIDEO HD ® By Dj pepsi: http://youtu.be/vqli_YLxGLY

I'm on to you thread, you're not going to trick me into watching Glee because the Flash was on it. :colbert:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm on to you thread, you're not going to trick me into watching Glee because the Flash was on it. :colbert:

I just want Gustin to perform the Ballad of Barry Allen

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

I just want Gustin to perform the Ballad of Barry Allen

I don't want him to perform it, but I do want it to be performed over a 5-minute montage of him being heroic a la the trainwreck scene from the Captain Cold episode.

e: Actually, scratch that. Introduce Music Meister and do a 'Once More, With Feeling' type episode and literally have Gustin sing it. Yeah, I could get behind that. :swoon:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 7, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm glad this thread has both a "We need Grant Gustin to sing" camp and a "We need Jesse L. Martin to sing" camp. Makes it easy to decide whose other opinions to take seriously :twisted:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PFlats posted:

I'm glad this thread has both a "We need Grant Gustin to sing" camp and a "We need Jesse L. Martin to sing" camp. Makes it easy to decide whose other opinions to take seriously :twisted:

We need John Barrowman to sing. He counts. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

We need John Barrowman to sing. He counts. :colbert:

Crossover sing-off between Ollie Queen, Thea Queen, Malcolm Merlyn, Barry Allen, Eddie Thawn and Detective West.

Do it, CW. :colbert:

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Arrow v. Flash: The Musical

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress alla them, I want a Paul Blackthorne/David Ramsey power ballad duet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Phylodox posted:

gently caress alla them, I want a Paul Blackthorne/David Ramsey power ballad duet.

You know, Paul Blackthorne does kind of strike me as the power ballad type.

God drat this thread for getting me to watch Once More with Feeling again.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WarLocke posted:

Crossover sing-off between Ollie Queen, Thea Queen, Malcolm Merlyn, Barry Allen, Eddie Thawn and Detective West.

Do it, CW. :colbert:
Arn't you forgetting someone?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

Arn't you forgetting someone?

Snart doesn't strike me as the singing type.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WarLocke posted:

Snart doesn't strike me as the singing type.

I was thinking that he and Slade do a duet of Behind Blue Eyes.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 7, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
This is good poo poo. 3 episodes in and I cried like a baby twice. The nerdish-nice-guy-in-love-with-lifelong-friend is tiresome as gently caress now. Why cant there be some moody sexually aggressive goth chick thats crazy about him, and he eventually comes round and its super-awesome?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bpower posted:

some moody sexually aggressive goth chick thats crazy about him

Have you seen the latest episode of Arrow?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

bunnyofdoom posted:

Star is Seattle, metropolis and gotham both NYC(gotham occasionally chicago too), coast is San Diego. I missing any?

Well Hub I guess is Kansas City?

Star City used to be based on Boston until the west coast stole it. :argh: Luckily all the aerial and skyline shots in Arrow are of Boston, so until otherwise noted I am going to assume that the show has Starling City located in New England. :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

bpower posted:

This is good poo poo. 3 episodes in and I cried like a baby twice. The nerdish-nice-guy-in-love-with-lifelong-friend is tiresome as gently caress now. Why cant there be some moody sexually aggressive goth chick thats crazy about him, and he eventually comes round and its super-awesome?

I hope something novel happens and they have Barry get over the girl he pines after and moves on.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought the exterior shots in arrow were of toronto.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

Star City used to be based on Boston until the west coast stole it. :argh: Luckily all the aerial and skyline shots in Arrow are of Boston, so until otherwise noted I am going to assume that the show has Starling City located in New England. :colbert:

Nope. Some of the skyline and building shots are of Brussels, and possibly Vancouver.

HERAK fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 7, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Drifter posted:

Not Hub City!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

HERAK posted:

Nope. Some of the skyline and building shots are of Brussels, and possibly Vancouver.

Also Philadelphia for at least one episode of Season 1

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Metropolis is Toronto, guys.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Metropolis is Toronto, guys.

That most American of cities!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

My Q-Face posted:

That most American of cities!

Given its presence in the media, kinda.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The aerial shots in Arrow are of multiple cities including Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

boom boom boom posted:

Not Hub City!

But Boston is the Hub City. Why do you think the Bruins have that logo?

• Locked thread