Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Sheep-Goats posted:

1) Bring a full gallon of palm oil to a galloping hideous boil.

2) Look at that egg. What a motherfucker. Son of a bitch egg.

3) What does the egg deserve? Do what is right Somchai! PUNISH THE EGG

I would take that cooking class.

I do deeply love Thai food, but it can get a bit boring. Will you be eating a boatload of chili or condensed milk today?

I ate Chinese a lot at home, but, you know, California Chinese. The food I had in Indo was pretty good, but seemed fairly similar to Thai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, after years of the same poo poo you really have to work to discover the nuances. I'll take a week and just go to old school restaurants and order salads or something. Once you go to the really old school joints and start getting them to make you things you've never heard of it broadens out quite a bit. I was out one day with a friend of mine and he was like, "Oh my family's best friends own this restaurant near my Aunt in Rattanakosin, it's like 5 minutes." Okay, so we go. I end up eating shredded coconut and kanom chin in a thick coconut base with like dried shrimp and fish sauce and lime or whatever. Amazing. Turns out it's a very old school dish that's not served much anymore (I forget the name, but I've seen it again). The thing about Thai food is that, like Chinese, it's really a mish-mash of a shitload of conglomerated cultures, so you can always find something new.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Turns out it's a very old school dish that's not served much anymore

Modernization, urbanization, and industrial cooking really squashed a lot of "grandma's cooking". A Korean goon was telling me about some ancient farmer's drink in Pennsylvania which used ginger peel. Refridgeration also changed people's habits too and it's only recently that beer is going through some revival. I'm not advocating that we all go back to the medieval ages, but good cooking requires :effort: Sometimes the cost benefits of burger king is just too great :smith:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

Korean is like the Swedish of Asian foods. They do a couple of good things, but every dish is made of meat/fish and potatis in Swedish.

Hey, Swedish food is much more than meat and pota...

...drat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Post the meals made up of cheez wiz and flatbread!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's this Nordevaske Cooking Show or whatever on PBS sometimes and every loving thing is either game meat with juniper berries and a fist of dill, fish with disappointment sauce and a basket of dill, or potato cut into lumps with a dusting of dill. It's better than the Irish cooking show where some Irelander is always pissed off and disappointed in the food except for the one episode where he went to a potato farm and got on his knees and dug up a potato with his hands and took a bite out of it like an apple and had a huge unreserved grin all of a sudden and probably went home and sang his wife a song afterward. The world's sourest TV cook had his frown turned around by the magic of a raw loving tuber.

ReindeerF posted:

Post the meals made up of cheez wiz and flatbread!

Spoons were invented by a bisexual Swedish queen to facilitate mayonnaise to mouth conveyance.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 7, 2014

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
SEA sucks and i don't want to go back there at all. I like dark finnish winter much more. And potatoes with meat. :colbert:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

ReindeerF posted:

Traditional Thai food, going back like 500+ years, I gather was just chili paste and vegetables. The stir fry comes from the Chinese, the curries from the Burmese and Indians and so on.

Think is, the word แกง (Gaeng), although got translated into curry, is a bit wider than that. As I understand, gaeng without coconut milk are mostly local, while the one with coconut milk came from India.

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, after years of the same poo poo you really have to work to discover the nuances. I'll take a week and just go to old school restaurants and order salads or something. Once you go to the really old school joints and start getting them to make you things you've never heard of it broadens out quite a bit. I was out one day with a friend of mine and he was like, "Oh my family's best friends own this restaurant near my Aunt in Rattanakosin, it's like 5 minutes." Okay, so we go. I end up eating shredded coconut and kanom chin in a thick coconut base with like dried shrimp and fish sauce and lime or whatever. Amazing. Turns out it's a very old school dish that's not served much anymore (I forget the name, but I've seen it again). The thing about Thai food is that, like Chinese, it's really a mish-mash of a shitload of conglomerated cultures, so you can always find something new.

Is this it?

This is ขนมจีนซาวน้ำ (Kanom Chim Sao Naam). It is indeed a little tricky to find these day. It is a lot more sweet than hot, so I guess it's not something people would expect from a Kanom Chin dish.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's it, yeah. Thanks! I could never recall the name.

Coconut Palm in Bangkok has it as do a number of the old line, been-around-forever restaurants in and near Rattanakosin where all the old aunties go on Sundays with the family. Also in Samsen, near the railway, there's a group of restaurants that have been popular forever because of their position next to the railway that was closest to a bunch of political and military bigwigs. It's not something I'd eat every day, but it's a good example of how much food there is that people don't even know about because it doesn't show up on a typical tham sang or khao thom menu. Just in salads alone, I doubt most foreigners have stumbled across things that have moderate availability, like yum thua poo and yum hua plee. There's a shitload of variety that's widely unknown in my experience and gets buried under the 50 typical gap khao, khao phad, curry and soup dishes. I routinely have to order dinners for 10-30 people, many of whom have lived here for a decade (or two or three), and I try to add in some less common options, which inevitably results in a few people asking what that was and what's it called so they can order it again. And I've only just scratched the surface (not even accounting for regional variations, which can be huge).

That's interesting about the gaeng - so, basically, are we talking about like gaeng ba and gaeng som and that family of curries? I gather gaeng gathip recipes are heavily influenced from the South, I hadn't heard India, but I guess I could believe either, heh. I find them to be much better, generally, but that's a bit of a cheat because the coconut flavor makes anything more accessible to a Western palate. Gaeng som just sucks, though, heh. I know it's a staple and most people like it, but Jesus is that a lovely curry. Gaeng ba is tough, but at least it's got a hearty flavor. I do like phad prik gaeng and some of the other chili paste variations too, though I don't care for cooked/fermented fish or seafood, which really eats into the options in some areas.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On an unrelated note, ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzl05QgpO_M

How they catch him is hilarious. Like this is not a very sophisticated criminal.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 8, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

That's interesting about the gaeng - so, basically, are we talking about like gaeng ba and gaeng som and that family of curries? I gather gaeng gathip recipes are heavily influenced from the South, I hadn't heard India, but I guess I could believe either, heh. I find them to be much better, generally, but that's a bit of a cheat because the coconut flavor makes anything more accessible to a Western palate. Gaeng som just sucks, though, heh. I know it's a staple and most people like it, but Jesus is that a lovely curry. Gaeng ba is tough, but at least it's got a hearty flavor. I do like phad prik gaeng and some of the other chili paste variations too, though I don't care for cooked/fermented fish or seafood, which really eats into the options in some areas.

Coconut curries are pretty rare in most of India as well. But not in Sri Lanka. Which is also where Therevada Buddhism is strongest...

ReindeerF posted:

How they catch him is hilarious. Like this is not a very sophisticated criminal.

Did they look around in the bushes?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Si, that's where the victims were, heh.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Heya goooooooons,

I am potentially looking at travelling around SE Asia in January/February if a few things don't pan out (i.e. lose my job/can't get another), for a few months with my fiance (if I can convince her). The $30ish dollars a day, I'm assuming does not include travelling around between countries/within countries (to some extent)?

This more than likely won't come to fruition, but I figure I may as well at least look into it a little bit..

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Guni posted:

Heya goooooooons,

I am potentially looking at travelling around SE Asia in January/February if a few things don't pan out (i.e. lose my job/can't get another), for a few months with my fiance (if I can convince her). The $30ish dollars a day, I'm assuming does not include travelling around between countries/within countries (to some extent)?

This more than likely won't come to fruition, but I figure I may as well at least look into it a little bit..

It could do if you're fine with using buses, which are generally cheap as gently caress out here. For example, you can get from Saigon, Vietnam to Phnom Penh, Cambodia for as little as $7 if you shop around. You'll probably come across some dingy buses but they're generally fine. Lots of places online say the long distance buses in SE Asia are overcrowded and filled with locals lying on the floor and chickens everywhere, but I haven't had that happen (yet) and haven't heard of it happening from everyone I've spoken to here.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Go with $30 a day if you want to take a shitcasion instead of a proper trip. $30/day doesnt't exist anymore. Sure you can do it by eating banana pancakes and staying in the shittiest cockroach infested hostels but does that sound like fun to you?

edit: do $50 a day as a base but don't be afraid to break budget to do cool poo poo. You won't regret it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
SE Asia: Just because people are poor doesn't mean you should be too.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

$30 per day is totally doable if you don't count transport within it and you don't go to beaches and islands and don't shop at all. It means a lot of penny pinching and staying in the cheapest places, which can be fun. It really depends on what you want out of the trip and what your comfort level is.

Also, traveling as a couple is so much cheaper than traveling alone. $60 per day as a couple is much more relaxed than $30 per day alone.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Basically, the longer you stay in one place the cheaper your trip gets not only due to transportation, but also due to the ability to negotiate long-term stays and due to building familiarity with the local environment. Every time you go somewhere new as a tourist you're basically making GBS threads out a premium for lack of awareness. I'm not suggesting that's A Bad Thing, it's just reality, but like eviljelly says, it depends on your comfort level and what you're looking to get out of it. If you want to hit ten locales in 2-3 weeks that costs a premium as a tourist. If you go to 2-3 places in 2-3 weeks you're going to pay less, see less area and see more of each area you see.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 9, 2014

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I got around on about 20 dollars a day in most of SE Asia outside of Singapore. That's including travel and visas. Private rooms averaged around five dollars a day and food was about the same. Didn't feel like I was roughing it, but different people have different standards.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Let me distract you guys form living-on-the-cheap chat back to food chat a bit.

ReindeerF posted:

That's interesting about the gaeng - so, basically, are we talking about like gaeng ba and gaeng som and that family of curries?

Yes. Another of those is แกงเลียง (Gaeng Liang), which is vegetable-heavy.

ReindeerF posted:

I gather gaeng gathip recipes are heavily influenced from the South, I hadn't heard India, but I guess I could believe either, heh.

Well, trade from India came by ship in the past, and all ports are in central/southern area, so...

That's proabaly why there are few curries with coconut milk in northern/isaan cuisines. The other things is non-glutinous rice (ข้าวเจ้า - Khao Chaow). As I have read, glutinous rice (ข้าวเหนียว - Khao Niew) is native to Indochina, while non-glutinous ones came from Indian subcontinent as well as coconut milk.

ReindeerF posted:

I do like phad prik gaeng and some of the other chili paste variations too, though I don't care for cooked/fermented fish or seafood, which really eats into the options in some areas.

Acquired taste, that. I guess it's easier when you grow up with it.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Coconut curries are pretty rare in most of India as well. But not in Sri Lanka. Which is also where Therevada Buddhism is strongest...

That might be it. We don't actually do other curry liquids like they have in India, either. Like liquified tomato or cashew.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FortMan posted:

Yes. Another of those is แกงเลียง (Gaeng Liang), which is vegetable-heavy.
Yeah, I'm definitely not a huge fan of the more traditional curries, I can say that. I recognize gaeng liang now that I look it up, just would never order it. Gaeng is broadly weird like that. Like I recall ordering gaeng jut and being like, "How on Earth is this a gaeng?"

FortMan posted:

Well, trade from India came by ship in the past, and all ports are in central/southern area, so...

That's proabaly why there are few curries with coconut milk in northern/isaan cuisines.
I know that the religious stuff came in through Cambodia (SHH DON'T TELL) after Indian Subcontinent types landed there and then moved backward toward the Subcontinent. My guess would be that the Northern coconut-based curryish stuff like khao soi was probably influenced via Burma, which was, in turn, influenced by India. I actually don't know, just guessing.

FortMan posted:

Acquired taste, that. I guess it's easier when you grow up with it.
I did once get dragged to a specific Isaan place by a chef friend who spent a year in Laos learning the culture and how to cook authentically, slaughtering the chicken in the morning and all that jazz, and he took us there specifically because the plaa ra was always very fresh and that's the one time I've been able to get near the stuff. It actually wasn't bad. Probably mostly psychological, I'm sure. Anyway, if I had a good recommendation I'd try it again.

The big thing that I think sets Thai cuisine apart from its neighbors is the massive diversity of regional dishes. I mean every country has regional dishes, that's nothing new. Major food cultures, though, like Chinese, Indian, Italian and so on have really huge amount of diversity with all kinds of specific dishes. Thailand's basically this unnatural union of land taken from Burma, Laos and Malaysia and then added to what would sort of be Central Thailand now, so you get essentially four distinct cultures - then, on top of that, within each region the diversity of specialties varies widely and can be heavily influenced by trade.

So in Ubon you get this amazing moo yawr (Vietnamese sausage) while in Southern Thailand you get these insanely good curries. On top of that there's usually at least one or two dishes that are either unique or superlative in the majority of the 77 provinces (leaving aside the newer industrial provinces), so if I'm in Chantaburi I can get moo chamuang, which is a fantastic curry/stew dish that I swear to God I can't find in Bangkok. Meanwhile in Phuket (Phuket Town, the only thing worth visiting in Phuket) I can get oo taw or bee hoon kradook moo. I have to keep a file of all this poo poo because there's too much. And trying to find most of it back in Bangkok is almost impossible.

The other big thing is how different the dishes themselves are. Moo yang from like Trang or Hat Yai is that amazing sweet/savory Chinese style, while moo yang from Isaan is basically salty barbecued strips of pork with a spicy sauce. If you're in this area, it'll be lime based and in that area tamarind based. poo poo like that keeps me coming back.

I'd love to take a year off and just go from province to province learning all the regional specialties and what not. I've only scratched the surface. The one major complaint I have about Thai food promotion is that even with all the local development programs and OTOP and TAT's domestic tourism initiative, there's almost zero work toward educating foreign tourists about this stuff on a provincial or regional level. Like there's no TAT site or something where you can go and find out, "Yeah, when you're in Sukothai, try kwayteow sukothai" or "in Chantaburi, try kwayteow moo liang" whatever. I field tested a mobile app for a group that had some ideas along those lines, but it was buried under typical local temple directions or whatever.

Maybe that means there's a market gap, but if you know anything like this I'd be fascinated. I always have to research a province independently online and ask around to local friends and family. At minimum, it would be great just for tourists we get through this thread to be able to tell them, "Show this to the moto taxi driver" or "go to this place and order this word."

EDIT: I'm sure the answer is "pantip.com" and "quit loving around and learn to read Thai idiot."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 9, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

I'd love to take a year off and just go from province to province learning all the regional specialties and what not. I've only scratched the surface. The one major complaint I have about Thai food promotion is that even with all the local development programs and OTOP and TAT's domestic tourism initiative, there's almost zero work toward educating foreign tourists about this stuff on a provincial or regional level. Like there's no TAT site or something where you can go and find out, "Yeah, when you're in Sukothai, try kwayteow sukothai" or "in Chantaburi, try kwayteow moo liang" whatever. I field tested a mobile app for a group that had some ideas along those lines, but it was buried under typical local temple directions or whatever.

Maybe that means there's a market gap, but if you know anything like this I'd be fascinated. I always have to research a province independently online and ask around to local friends and family. At minimum, it would be great just for tourists we get through this thread to be able to tell them, "Show this to the moto taxi driver" or "go to this place and order this word."

EDIT: I'm sure the answer is "pantip.com" and "quit loving around and learn to read Thai idiot."

Hey, food talk is so much more refreshing than hobo/pancake/temple talk. How about internet sources for Thai folks? Have you tried talking to them to spawn an English version? If you actually have all this data, some nice pictures, consistent content updates, I'm sure it's a sure fire win to start some site/app. It would trump all the other food info. Make it Thai-centric, then spawn a Chinese/English version.

Foodies are insane and can spend money/time/effort just to go a restaurant because it was printed in a guide somewhere. Even crazier than sex tourists because they don't settle and love to differentiate the poo poo out of everything

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Sheep-Goats posted:

the Irish cooking show where some Irelander is always pissed off and disappointed in the food except for the one episode where he went to a potato farm and got on his knees and dug up a potato with his hands and took a bite out of it like an apple and had a huge unreserved grin all of a sudden and probably went home and sang his wife a song afterward. The world's sourest TV cook had his frown turned around by the magic of a raw loving tuber
Could you find a clip or an episode listing for this? It sounds hilarious and I'd love to see it :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw a commercial stating that Farcry 4 is going to be set in Khorat. I guess it's old news but someone could have told me. Bai Korat, gin somtam Khorat. MMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMM! Ah-roy naaaaaaaa

prinneh posted:

Could you find a clip or an episode listing for this? It sounds hilarious and I'd love to see it :)

I didn't think I'd ever find it again and putting "PBS irish chef potato idiot" into Google proved me right.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 10, 2014

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Yeah, I don't know many English source for Thai eatery, either. There are a few eateries guidebooks I've seen, but they're all in Thai. Same with recommendation/recipe web resources.

I've read some food blogs that should be useful, at least in general term.

Bangkok Glutton. I don't read this one often. But there are some recommendations here and there.

Eating Asia covers SE Asian food, and also branching out to some other food as well. Her Turkish food postings are interesting read.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just saw a commercial stating that Farcry 4 is going to be set in Khorat. I guess it's old news but someone could have told me. Bai Korat, gin somtam Khorat. MMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMM! Ah-roy naaaaaaaa

It's actually Kyrat, which is a made up place supposed to be around where Nepal is.

I did like Far Cry 3's depiction of shithead SE Asia travelers, though.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Sheep goats is now the official thread grandpa. When your kids asks for CoD AW, don't buy them a Nintendo, please.

And I finally get to post my favorite shot from FC3! http://m.imgur.com/ZxvHC6k (nsfw)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Hey, food talk is so much more refreshing than hobo/pancake/temple talk. How about internet sources for Thai folks? Have you tried talking to them to spawn an English version? If you actually have all this data, some nice pictures, consistent content updates, I'm sure it's a sure fire win to start some site/app. It would trump all the other food info. Make it Thai-centric, then spawn a Chinese/English version.

Foodies are insane and can spend money/time/effort just to go a restaurant because it was printed in a guide somewhere. Even crazier than sex tourists because they don't settle and love to differentiate the poo poo out of everything
"Foodies" come here and go to nahm and anything they can identify from one of the Bourdain shows, heh. They take a food tour of Yaowarat (some of the worst high traffic food in town) from some tour agency and yak about it.

I agree with you on the general concept, yes, that's why I said "market gap" but whether it's anything I'd be interested in right now I dunno. One startup company is enough. Still, yeah it would have some value. How you'd differentiate it from the many other Thai or SE Asia food apps would be the trick.

And Fortman, yeah that's basically what happens. I get on pantip and start with the Google Translate and it goes downhill from there, usually ending with me sending the page to someone saying, "What food is this? Google says monkey shoe wheel wheel."

EDIT: My favorite google translate error is still translating kare (in Thai) to "whore" instead of "powder".

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 10, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

Sheep goats is now the official thread grandpa. When your kids asks for CoD AW, don't buy them a Nintendo, please.

And I finally get to post my favorite shot from FC3! http://m.imgur.com/ZxvHC6k (nsfw)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
By the way Call of Duty: Asian Waifu was too much photoshop effort so I did the dadliest drink on the dadliest fish instead

ReindeerF posted:

And Fortman, yeah that's basically what happens. I get on pantip and start with the Google Translate and it goes downhill from there, usually ending with me sending the page to someone saying, "What food is this? Google says monkey shoe wheel wheel."

"Eat with larb, I don't know name."

I still think its funny that tang means, like, melon but obviously a cucumber is something you call a melon.

=====

raton fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 10, 2014

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: My favorite google translate error is still translating kare (in Thai) to "whore" instead of "powder".

Sadly, กะหรี่ (kari) can mean either curry powder or prostitute. So that happens.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I still think its funny that tang means, like, melon but obviously a cucumber is something you call a melon.

Although แตง (taeng) gets translated to melon, it's never used alone. It almost always comes with another word to tell you want kind of "melon" it is. For example:

• แตงโม (taeng mo) -- Watermelon
  • แตงไทย (taeng tai) -- local, cantaloupe-like, melon.
  • แตงกวา (taeng gwaa) -- cucumber

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I realise this will probably be unanswerable but I'm moving back home (Ireland) next year from Malaysia and I want to bring my guinea pigs (2) and have no loving clue what to do apart from clear the docs with the Irish government. Does anyone have any experience at all with this sort of thing. Small pets don't seem to rate words with most airlines and it's almost entirely focused around cats and dogs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FortMan posted:

Sadly, กะหรี่ (kari) can mean either curry powder or prostitute. So that happens.
Yeah, I had a co-worker about 8-9 years ago who dated a girl named Fern who hated the movie Ferngully for obvious reasons. It's just hilarious when it makes it into menus, you'd think Google's translation brain would've learned that contextually it's probably powder when food is involved. I forget if I've posted the menu down the road with "The Crab Eats The Whore Dust" or whatever.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I realise this will probably be unanswerable but I'm moving back home (Ireland) next year from Malaysia and I want to bring my guinea pigs (2) and have no loving clue what to do apart from clear the docs with the Irish government. Does anyone have any experience at all with this sort of thing. Small pets don't seem to rate words with most airlines and it's almost entirely focused around cats and dogs.
Cremation?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wear loose clothing with big pockets on your flight.

Yeah, honestly I have no idea.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Disguise guinea pig as burger.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Call your airline.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just read Yoko Ogawa's Revenge, at one point a guinea pig dies and the owner dumps it in a McDonald's trash can, letting it be infested with maggots as it lies among burger wrapping paper and ketchup sauce.

It's probably not helpful to your query but I just thought I should mention it.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I had a friend who moved with a guinea pig and there wasn't even a good way to take it on a domestic flight. They drove across Canada with it.

So, road trip?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
In Bangkok at the minute. Is there an established opinion on whether Muay Thai fights are worth the foreigner markup? Also open for recommendations on places to go get a chill drink. I'm staying off Silom Road.

I haven't done anything but arrive and go out to eat somewhere where "mixed beans with kaffir lime leaf" means a gigantic bowl of fried salted peanuts, coated in more fried kaffir lime leaf. Then I went snooping round the red light district for ~cultural~ reasons and wandered down what Im going to call "gay street" which turned out to be a dead end, which was embarrassing, then had to walk back the way I came where a bunch of front of house peeps come out and stroke me and tell me Im beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
theres free Muay thai at MBK