Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlternateAccount posted:

This poo poo kills me. My work Lenovo is a T540p and was not cheap, but it's got a loving 1366x768 TN panel in it that looks like absolute dogshit and has about a 2 degree viewing angle before the colors or contrast start massively shifting. I really hate it so so so so much.

Yeah I have a great 2011 Dell as my laptop with a beautiful 15.6" 1920x1080 IPs screen and RGBLED backlighting, and the trouble is whenever I get a replacement there's no way I can go back to less than that. I mean, physical screen size maybe a little but I ain't losing resolution and I also ain't going to deal with any 17 inch stuff just to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

This poo poo kills me. My work Lenovo is a T540p and was not cheap, but it's got a loving 1366x768 TN panel in it that looks like absolute dogshit and has about a 2 degree viewing angle before the colors or contrast start massively shifting. I really hate it so so so so much.

What's the point of buying a T540 with a 1366x768 screen? Just get a drat X220.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just looked at the Elitebook 840, and the pricing is completely insane. $3000 minimum if I want the 1080p panel. Yeah, ain't gonna happen. For an actual all-singing, all-dancing laptop, the T440p really looks like the only solid bet.

Bob Morales posted:

More powerful non-ULV CPUs?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
HP pricing is weird - I don't think anyone actually pays even close to list price.

Locally I don't see any 840s with the 1080p option ticked, but I can get a 1080p i5 ZBook 14 for about $1600USD (once sales tax is subtracted) and that might be okay if you can give up some battery life.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My E7240 Dell work laptop was about 2grand but man I loving love it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

poo poo that really pisses me off: Why is it so hard to find a decent, yet competitively-priced laptop?

It's not even like my demands are that outrageous. All I want is enough performance for 1080p playback, an IPS* display with a decent resolution (ie. 1600x900 and up) that isn't bloody huge (14" or less), has decent battery life (6+ hours) and decent build quality (hinges and keyboard in particular).

Yeah, I know this is basically a stealth "find me a laptop" post, but it really is ridiculous how there are apparently no mid-class laptops with good displays. And even if such a thing exists (some of Lenovo's Yoga models come close), they're completely non-upgradeable, so have fun with obsolete hardware I guess.

I know my T42 cost like $1700 10 years ago when I bought it, and that's probably because it's built like a brick shithouse. I just thought things would have gotten cheaper by now, especially displays.

* (Or a non-lovely TN display, if such a thing even exists)

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-...ba+chromebook+2
$330, 1080p IPS display, 9 hour battery life. It's cheap enough that you do not need to worry about upgrading the hardware in the future.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lampey posted:

$330, 1080p IPS display, 9 hour battery life. It's cheap enough that you do not need to worry about upgrading the hardware in the future.

If the keyboard and trackpad are nice, that would be a sweet machine to run Ubuntu on.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Did you call them out on their bullshit (getting in trouble for being in training) when it happened? If not, bring it up now, but do it like a professional and not all passive-aggressive.

I did not because in my mind saying anything to a director besides yes ma'am would get me fired on the spot. But I have had a talk with my wife and I am at the point where that is an option.

Today has been too many assigned cases for the current caseload I have, customers calling me twice to say, 'hey we just put in a ticket for an outage, can I conference you on a bridge?' forcing me to drop everything and work issues, tier 1's assigning cases to me that say 'customer wants information about patch' which turns into customer want me to install patch tonight after hours, and just a whole host of other things.

The sad thing is is that all of this is because folks generally like me and the abilities I have. It makes me kind of proud to be the go to guy, but there is no upside for me. At this point I am doing what I can, and if there are problems I will walk them through the math of the work I have and the hours in the day.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

We buy those too for people who want lighter machines, I might trade for that or just say screw it and get a Surface.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sirotan posted:

They're like $850 new so that doesn't seem like a great deal.

Anyone considering the Yoga 2, please read: we gave one to one of our sites to demo as our potential model to replace current units, and the screen on it cracked within the first two weeks of use. It cracked perfectly down the middle of the camera, and then curves to the left to meet up with the side of the screen. Based on what I've read from equally unhappy Yoga 2 owners, there is probably some defect in the design/build in these as a lot of people have reported their screens cracking spontaneously or when not in use/with very little actual use. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty that one of my users didn't just manhandle the thing, but the screen is so thin and flimsy, I really think it's a design flaw.

Oh yeah and a new screen will cost you $600 as they classify it as an out-of-warranty repair.

My wife and I have identical models and neither has cracked. I will say their sleep mode is a bit wonky sometimes but that could be the weird VPN software I have installed, as well.

My biggest complaint is that the intel video drivers suck so I can't enjoy the awesomeness that would be playing Civ 5 on a huge touchscreen.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I did not because in my mind saying anything to a director besides yes ma'am would get me fired on the spot. But I have had a talk with my wife and I am at the point where that is an option.

It's said over and over in these threads, but people will treat you as badly as you let them; if you let someone walk all over you they WILL see you as a doormat and continue to do so until you change their minds.

You can be safe about it. Don't call them out in a room full of other managers, for instance, because some managers have fragile little egos and think they have to look tough in front of their manager frat. I had a boss like that. Talk to them in private. Avoid using words like "stupid" or "doesn't make any sense." Outline the situation and then ask them how you can help avoid such misunderstandings or miscommunications in the future: When the company sends you to training, who should you be notifying and how long in advance, so arrangements can be made to take over the important bits of your work during the period when you are unavailable? Frame it like it's nobody's fault, even if it's theirs. It doesn't cost you anything.

Notice how in all this you are not accepting blame or responsibility for a situation that isn't your fault. Now not only are you not a doormat, you've become a problem-solver. It's extremely unlikely that you will be just summarily fired doing things this way. If you've personally seen your boss regularly catapult good employees out of the company for daring to look him in the eye or call him by his first name or something, then fine, keep your head down. Otherwise, you really don't have much to fear if you act like a confident professional.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 6, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

lampey posted:

That's what I've been tending towards for a while now. It's super supremely sucky that it won't be coming out in Europe until January 2015. A Thinkpad would be a nice full-featured machine, but I've got a reasonably powerful desktop for that.

As a machine to kick back in the couch, read forums, watch Youtube videos and not have to worry much about battery life, the Chromebook 2 seems about right. I had an Android tablet before (and I currently have a work-supplied iPad Air), but touch-only interfaces, simplistic apps and feature-lacking tablet web browsers irritate me enormously.

Bob Morales posted:

If the keyboard and trackpad are nice, that would be a sweet machine to run Ubuntu on.

From the hands-on videos and early coverage, they're quite good.

Downsides are probably the glossy display on the 1080p model, and the overall performance compared to the new i3-based Chromebooks, due to the fanless design.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

It's said over and over in these threads, but people will treat you as badly as you let them; if you let someone walk all over you they WILL see you as a doormat and continue to do so until you change their minds.

You can be safe about it. Don't call them out in a room full of other managers, for instance, because some managers have fragile little egos and think they have to look tough in front of their manager frat. I had a boss like that. Talk to them in private. Avoid using words like "stupid" or "doesn't make any sense." Outline the situation and then ask them how you can help avoid such misunderstandings or miscommunications in the future: When the company sends you to training, who should you be notifying and how long in advance, so arrangements can be made to take over the important bits of your work during the period when you are unavailable? Frame it like it's nobody's fault, even if it's theirs. It doesn't cost you anything.

Notice how in all this you are not accepting blame or responsibility for a situation that isn't your fault. Now not only are you not a doormat, you've become a problem-solver. It's extremely unlikely that you will be just summarily fired doing things this way. If you've personally seen your boss regularly catapult good employees out of the company for daring to look him in the eye or call him by his first name or something, then fine, keep your head down. Otherwise, you really don't have much to fear if you act like a confident professional.

It's more that there is not really leadership, but adherence to metrics. There is no one besides the executives driving this that is accountable. So when you have a load of crap dumped on you, you are still on the hook for updating cases, and everything else. The basic managers are very understanding and apologetic about how the way things are, and will try and work with you, but at the director level and above, who mere mortals like me don't get to interact with, only the data counts, and they have fired people for not meeting metrics. It doesn't matter if you spent all day on an outage for the biggest customer, and that they are thrilled with what you did, you still didn't update all of the cases that you needed to, so, bad employee. Just imagine your average lovely call center put on top of a service center responsible for the phones systems of corporations with 10,000 or more phones.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Solo admining day 3 trip report:

The EVP bought me lunch (expensive sashimi) to say she appreciated how 'professionally' I've handled the week so far. Also, the CEO came into my office and not only said my name, but also told me "thank you". It freaked me out a little. I think they're terrified I'm going to quit.

47 open tickets when I left at the end of the day. An all time high since instituting the ticketing system. :sigh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

This is "weird poo poo about Microsoft products that make no sense" week for me, it seems.

So now to put the thing in disallow mode and figure out what all runs on this janky thing and whitelist all the random applications by hand! :suicide:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 7, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

This is "weird poo poo about Microsoft products that make no sense" week for me, it seems.

So now to put the thing in disallow mode and figure out what all runs on this janky thing and whitelist all the random applications by hand! :suicide:
But what does gpresult say?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sheep posted:

Double check with the group policy modeling wizard that that is being applied to the PC and ensure the PC has the latest policies loaded etc. gpupdate /force is something you seem to spend most of your day running sometimes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Varkk posted:

Double check with the group policy modeling wizard that that is being applied to the PC and ensure the PC has the latest policies loaded etc. gpupdate /force is something you seem to spend most of your day running sometimes.

I feel like such an idiot - the one time I let it sit for 20 minutes (long enough for group policy to refresh on its own) it worked but broke Google Chrome. I was so confused because it wasn't working despite RSOP showing that it "should" have been, too. I shouldn't be loving with group policy after a 12 hour day, apparently :sigh:

I think I'm going to go the whitelist route anyways just to be on the safe side.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Solo admining day 3 trip report:

The EVP bought me lunch (expensive sashimi) to say she appreciated how 'professionally' I've handled the week so far. Also, the CEO came into my office and not only said my name, but also told me "thank you". It freaked me out a little. I think they're terrified I'm going to quit.

47 open tickets when I left at the end of the day. An all time high since instituting the ticketing system. :sigh:

I started a new position at the same company 2 months ago. When I left my old team, there were 4 people and 8 unassigned tickets. There's now 3 people and *140* unassigned tickets. Another guy is leaving at the end of the month.

My new manager told me that under no circumstances, whatsoever, at all, was I to entertain any offers to return to that team. No matter what.

I like my new manager.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I keep almost typing a huge rant about work, but I just so depressed while writing it I keep deleting it. I'm so tired of traveling.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It's more that there is not really leadership, but adherence to metrics. There is no one besides the executives driving this that is accountable. So when you have a load of crap dumped on you, you are still on the hook for updating cases, and everything else. The basic managers are very understanding and apologetic about how the way things are, and will try and work with you, but at the director level and above, who mere mortals like me don't get to interact with, only the data counts, and they have fired people for not meeting metrics. It doesn't matter if you spent all day on an outage for the biggest customer, and that they are thrilled with what you did, you still didn't update all of the cases that you needed to, so, bad employee. Just imagine your average lovely call center put on top of a service center responsible for the phones systems of corporations with 10,000 or more phones.

Sounds to me like you need to get the gently caress out of Dodge. How long have you been at this company?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

CitizenKain posted:

I keep almost typing a huge rant about work, but I just so depressed while writing it I keep deleting it. I'm so tired of traveling.

I keep wanting to rant about working too drat many hours then remember that my team lead is working 70+ hour work weeks. We need our "borrowed" team member back and our empty slot filled. :cry:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I think I have found the magic word to get users to do what I want: "Audit"

Some user wants VPN access and slams the form on my desk instead of scanning and emailing it to themselves and uploading the PDF file to our Helpdesk portal? "I wish I could take that from you, but when we get audited both you, me and our managers will get in trouble"

"I don't understand all this and I'm not good at computers, why can't I just get a new shiny iPhone right now instead of filling out all this stuff?" "You work in finance and you know what an audit is. When I get audited, they are going to look at how I replaced that iPhone for you".

I don't know what an audit is. My work probably doesn't get audited.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Corporate IT have spent all week allowing a single company FTP site through our new super-duper firewall. All our on-site tech can do is apologise because he doesn't have access, and our manager in the US is getting upset that we can't work on some project he's uploaded. :sigh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
poo poo not pissing me off:

Bossman: YOU NEED TO TAKE VACATION NOW.

ME: Huh?

Bossman: We gave you more vacation so take it.

ME: uhm ok.

Bossman: so whats the vacation plan?

ME: I'm gonna take a week in December, and mondays and fridays off until the end of the year.

Bossman: uhm.. this may affect production. Those are WORKdays.

ME: :psyduck:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Call me cynical but it's amazing how many company iPhones seem to get "accidentally dropped" shortly after a new release and how many of those drops seem to smash up the LCD as well as the touchscreen or are stilletto-shaped etc.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If the company is going to hand out iPhones they should either charge the department for broken ones outside of life cycle replacements or buy good cases along with the phone. People are children when it comes to taking care of company equipment.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We have started purchasing iPhone 5S 32GB, up from the 4 and 4S 8GB. Tons of people are coming in complaining that their phones are slow and have no storage space. Then we have to tell them that their phones are working as designed, and we do not replace functioning phones. I'm surprised we don't get MORE smashed and soaked phones than we do.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GargleBlaster posted:

Call me cynical but it's amazing how many company iPhones seem to get "accidentally dropped" shortly after a new release and how many of those drops seem to smash up the LCD as well as the touchscreen or are stilletto-shaped etc.

No poo poo that man. I swear to god the last one came out and I had 3 out of 5 accidentally damaged that week... uh huh..

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Coredump posted:

If the company is going to hand out iPhones they should either charge the department for broken ones outside of life cycle replacements or buy good cases along with the phone. People are children when it comes to taking care of company equipment.

The problem with buying them a nice case with the phone is the case doesn't do poo poo when the phone's at the bottom of a river because the exec took some clients out on his boat, and "accidentally" drops the phone overboard.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The problem with buying them a nice case with the phone is the case doesn't do poo poo when the phone's at the bottom of a river because the exec took some clients out on his boat, and "accidentally" drops the phone overboard.

You just need to give them these if they break their phone, unless they pony up money personally to replace it:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: emails from a partner's NetSuite ticketing system. They've done something wacky in the configuration such that email threads quickly balloon to over 1MB and take 60 seconds to load on a 20Mbps connection using Outlook 2013 on a machine with 8GB of RAM. My guess is that its the image attachment, which gets added every time anyone on the partner responds. Pretty soon you have 20-30 image calls being made to some lovely little image server, and it chokes. That's just a guess, though. Whatever. I just want the drat email to display in less time than it takes to write this post.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Coredump posted:

People are children when it comes to taking care of company equipment.

Every time I get a laptop back from someone in the company I need to de-gross it before I do anything else. My home laptop aside from some worn out letters on keys and a scuff or two has no weird substances on it. I can only assume people are using these things as plate warmers for their toddlers or something.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
The only people worse with laptops than employees are students in my experience, difference being that students generally have to continue working with broken screens, missing keys and non functioning touchpads.

...still, the stories you hear about how they mess up hardware they can't replace on a whim.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nthalp posted:

poo poo not pissing me off:

Bossman: YOU NEED TO TAKE VACATION NOW.

ME: Huh?

Bossman: We gave you more vacation so take it.

ME: uhm ok.

Bossman: so whats the vacation plan?

ME: I'm gonna take a week in December, and mondays and fridays off until the end of the year.

Bossman: uhm.. this may affect production. Those are WORKdays.

ME: :psyduck:

Ok, I will charge you for my vacation day while at work as well as taking my double time and a half :v:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds to me like you need to get the gently caress out of Dodge. How long have you been at this company?

3 years. It was great for the first year and a half, but change in regime, metrics, hiring more managers to manage less workers to get more work out of them, etc. The fun part is since they have fewer people, the metrics just document the failure of the remaining folks to deal with the crushing workload. This is exactly how my last job was, any my current was supposed to be an escape from that.

The recent fun is OT is restricted, so if you happen to be staying late to update your cases and manager asks you to stay and work a critical issue, OT may not be approved. Fun times. A coworker of mine is leaving early because that happened to him.

I am looking, but was trying to do it network wise, rather than shotgunning resumes. I found out last weekend that the place a friend works at doing the same thing just had layoffs, so that is off the table. Looks like plan b is Indeed. Plan C is to stop giving a gently caress and follow the metrics exactly.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evobatman posted:

We have started purchasing iPhone 5S 32GB, up from the 4 and 4S 8GB. Tons of people are coming in complaining that their phones are slow and have no storage space. Then we have to tell them that their phones are working as designed, and we do not replace functioning phones. I'm surprised we don't get MORE smashed and soaked phones than we do.

This stopped when we went to Buy Your Own Device. A newhire gets the new contract price on any hardware they want. If they want the iPhone 6+, we require them to pay the 499 plus tax on the hardware. If they leave, they keep it and we eat the early term fee. We do add the phone to our company plan and the employee never sees a bill. If they want to upgrade, they pay the upgrade price on the line. If it's been 2 years they get full subsidy, if not, they can pay whatever the current upgrade price is. If they don't want to buy a specific phone, we give them a Lumia 635 Windows Phone which is basically free with the new contract. It's not surprising that people started taking better care of their phones.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
So because some people can't drive like intelligently enough though our parking lot (there are near misses with the crosswalks, someone managed to go over someone else's hood :stonk: ) what would otherwise be a ticketable offense off the property is now being treated as writeup offensive which can lead to firing.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

So because some people can't drive like intelligently enough though our parking lot (there are near misses with the crosswalks, someone managed to go over someone else's hood :stonk: ) what would otherwise be a ticketable offense off the property is now being treated as writeup offensive which can lead to firing.
The first time I read this I thought you meant someone drove over some cars hood and was really impressed with the skills involved. edit... or did you mean that?

We have a 5-6 level parking garage with posted 10mph limits. I've seen people doing at least 35 in there. When it is full.

What is the offense you are talking about? Stopping at crosswalks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

stuxracer posted:

The first time I read this I thought you meant someone drove over some cars hood and was really impressed with the skills involved. edit... or did you mean that?

We have a 5-6 level parking garage with posted 10mph limits. I've seen people doing at least 35 in there. When it is full.

What is the offense you are talking about? Stopping at crosswalks?

Yes, I did mean someone in their 4x4 truck managed to go over someone else's vehicle's hood (a Honda). We've also got dedicated visitor, Employee of the Month, and handicap parking.

Essentially: parking in unauthorized locations, speeding through the lot (it is vast and wide since it's Oklahoma), and even blowing through stops.

I really hope the rent-a-cops don't power trip and start dealing with rolling stops equally.