Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Shadin posted:

It could very well happen, since that expansion wasn't considered a deluxe box as much as it was considered the "Core Set" for those two factions, so it had to have a very broad range of card options.

Also, in response to this as a problem, alternatively you would have had a full playset in one box [like what is upcoming in the Jedi deluxe box] and you get half the new cards. Considering the card pool for SWLCG is artificially constrained due to the pod mechanic, I'm really glad they opted for increasing the number of pods you can choose from. Would you have complained if they released it as a Scum/Smug Core set that was a full play set of all the cards, and instead of paying $19.99 each, you paid $39.99 total? It's not like you got screwed by having a bunch of extra copies of stuff you didn't need. They just packaged it in a way where someone super casual could pick it up and have fun with chewie/falcon etc, without paying $40, and anyone serious about the game was always happy to have more cards anyways. It's like complaining that they released more cards than you were willing to pay for.

Secondly, the state of the LCG union announcement is coming up where we will learn about rotation for AGOT.

I am very interested in this, as it will either get me to play more, or make me quite the game completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

tijag posted:

Also, in response to this as a problem, alternatively you would have had a full playset in one box [like what is upcoming in the Jedi deluxe box] and you get half the new cards. Considering the card pool for SWLCG is artificially constrained due to the pod mechanic, I'm really glad they opted for increasing the number of pods you can choose from. Would you have complained if they released it as a Scum/Smug Core set that was a full play set of all the cards, and instead of paying $19.99 each, you paid $39.99 total? It's not like you got screwed by having a bunch of extra copies of stuff you didn't need. They just packaged it in a way where someone super casual could pick it up and have fun with chewie/falcon etc, without paying $40, and anyone serious about the game was always happy to have more cards anyways. It's like complaining that they released more cards than you were willing to pay for.

Secondly, the state of the LCG union announcement is coming up where we will learn about rotation for AGOT.

I am very interested in this, as it will either get me to play more, or make me quite the game completely.

So... how do you feel about starting a whole new card game?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Very happy. Some of the mechanics of AGOT really holding it back. Designing the card pool right this time, and getting rid of the clunky mechanics is going to make this their best game [IMO, I know some people love Netrunner, which also is solid, it's just not my favorite].

I have a bunch of cards that are never going to get played now though :D

Oh well. I'm fine with it.

Honestly, I didn't think they were going to do this, but I was wishing they would. I assumed they wouldn't' be willing to completely delete the current card pool, but they are better off for it.

Like Nate's post said 'the things I do for love.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm happy to get a chance to get into it. The frankly gigantic card pool was a turn off to everyone I know, and that's before you even get to gameplay quirks.

I'll probably drop Star Wars and just play GoT and Netrunner.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A few hundred dollars of my cards just lost all value, but it serves the greater good.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

A few hundred dollars of my cards just lost all value, but it serves the greater good.

maybe we can come up with some fun 'cube' style gameplay with the gen 1 card pool. Although I'm happy to forget as many of the awkward rule interactions as possible.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm happy with every decision they've announced so far tonight. Rotation? Good, and they are doing it in such a way that the card pool stays healthy, but doesnt stagnate.

I'll be picking up AGoT 2nd Ed, my current collection be damned.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So what's the deal with AGoT 2nd ed? Is the first ed. dead? Are the two both going to be supported? The only reason I never started the original is because I was so far behind, but if we're starting over, I'm interested.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
1st edition will have a last hurrah at next years gen con and worlds. after that we move to 2nd edition and it starts from scratch with rules that make sense and some tweaks to the game.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008
Starting over, the two will be incompatible. Here is the announcement:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5178

I think it's really great as someone who likes AGOT conceptually but finds it too complicated (especially in terms of aspects that are occasionally strategically vital but most of the time useless, not so much general game complexity) - streamlining it is the best thing to do in my opinion and might make me interested in it. I suspect the decision might not go over so well for some of the more invested types (even for those who don't care about their collections it's a splintering process) but for people like me who are new but overwhelmed (in terms of rules and cardpool) it is a positive change.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Baron Porkface posted:

I wish the cardboard barons at the magic thread had more of this attitude.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Chill la Chill posted:

I wish the cardboard barons at the magic thread had more of this attitude.

There's a lot difference between a couple hundred bucks and a many thousands. When I sold my Magic collection 7-8 months ago, I made more off of it than my salary from the previous year. Magic, especially eternal Magic, is a very real investment (buying legacy staples 8 years ago would have been a much better move on average than investing in the stock market). FFG's LCGs are an entirely different animal in terms of how much they cost.

Abolishing Magic's reserve list without a VERY gradual multi-year plan would be a debacle. FFG's model is way more consumer friendly, and I think if you're getting into card games you're insane to pick Magic over Netrunner; however, you're comparing apples to oranges when you're talking about the games from a financial perspective.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
The second edition of AGoT will make me seriously consider getting into the game. I previously grabbed 3x cores and some deluxe expansions, but sold it off after realizing the magnitude of the card pool and how clunky a lot of the expansions made the overall game. I know there's going to be a lot of butthurt on the FFG forums, but I think they made the right call, in the reboot and in rotations for LCGs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Warhammer spoilers:
http://t.co/APw8EDxmWc
http://t.co/oQGZjVeTX6
http://t.co/Hje6QuvLgK
http://t.co/Zf3BLcbbAW
http://t.co/ag7uwq7Dyg
http://t.co/WbFT5poSSm

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Archon's Palace is AMAZING, the rest of the DE cards seem pretty bad. Also, what are they thinking printing Calamity, that will go into EVERY deck :stare:

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679459

LOTR LCG Campaign PbP is finally up!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just spotted Carteret on the Worlds stream lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Archon's Palace is AMAZING, the rest of the DE cards seem pretty bad. Also, what are they thinking printing Calamity, that will go into EVERY deck :stare:

I'm just happy Deldars got something with strength 3+ and more than 2 HP.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Just spotted Carteret on the Worlds stream lol

Lol its loving PACKED here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What does Headquarters Action on Calamity mean?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PJOmega posted:

What does Headquarters Action on Calamity mean?

It is an action you can only use during the Headquarters Phase (ie, the phase where the cleanup/drawing/resource gathering happens at the end of the turn). There is a window during that phase for actions, so you'd be able to use any Headquarters Action or generic Action during that time.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My friend got a core set for Conquest and we tried it out tonight. We did enjoy it but the lack of customization in single core set play is just awful. All you can really do is pick a main faction and a secondary faction then split the neutral cards evenly. I'll be getting a second core set to help alleviate that but it was still pretty upsetting. The actual game took several attempts to get used to though it was enjoyable once we were more comfortable with it.

It felt like the balance of the game depended heavily on luck of the draw due to the lack of multi-copy cards, another flaw of single core set play.

I'm really hoping each pack comes with an additional planet or two as I'm not feeling great about the variety in the core set.

Overall I don't think I'll really get a good feeling for this game until the 2nd core set gets here but it seems promising.

Also why aren't the Orks and Chaos switched on the alignment wheel!? I know that with the mechanics of the game orks are a much more natural fit as IG allies but I really like the idea of a traitor guardsmen deck.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2014

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I actually think Calamity looks pretty bad at first glance. It doesn't affect tokens, so it's not a swarm removal card but rather one to get rid of lots of low-cost cappers. Further, the fact that it's a Headquarters action means you can only play it after all command struggles and combat are resolved-- so it's a card that punishes opponents outcapping you with tons of weenies, except that it sends your weenies back too, and if they've been outcapping you they probably have more resources with which to replay the cards that got sent back to their hand. To make matters worse, the only action window in the Headquarters phase occurs before you get your 4 resources and 2 cards for the turn, so you have to have had 2 resources left over at the end of the turn and the card already in hand.

This is all just theoryhammer of course, but right now I'm not very impressed by Calamity.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

I actually think Calamity looks pretty bad at first glance. It doesn't affect tokens, so it's not a swarm removal card but rather one to get rid of lots of low-cost cappers. Further, the fact that it's a Headquarters action means you can only play it after all command struggles and combat are resolved-- so it's a card that punishes opponents outcapping you with tons of weenies, except that it sends your weenies back too, and if they've been outcapping you they probably have more resources with which to replay the cards that got sent back to their hand. To make matters worse, the only action window in the Headquarters phase occurs before you get your 4 resources and 2 cards for the turn, so you have to have had 2 resources left over at the end of the turn and the card already in hand.

This is all just theoryhammer of course, but right now I'm not very impressed by Calamity.

I don't always see eye to eye with Fetterkey, but when I do he's probably already made a post explaining things better than I could have.

Calamity looks like a poor man's weak version of :doom:.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
One interesting exception might be Dark Eldar decks. You could potentially up your capping units to 3-4 cost with Soaring Falcon and Vile Raider, then use Calamity to send a bunch of your opponent's cards back along with your own Murder of Razorwings and Kith's Khymeramasters... which you can then replay to get their powerful reactions back again! That said, it still seems kind of strange and gimmicky-- are you really going to cut Survivalist/Pirate/Trader?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
What sleeves does everybody use for LotR stuff? I need a lot.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

inSTAALed posted:

I just use the standard Ultra Pro clear sleeves. And I've shifted to just sleeving the player cards too haha

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

inSTAALed posted:

I order from Potomac Distribution in bulk. - http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=kmcscdpc#.VFzfJoXAKR8

You get 2400 KMC clears for less than Ultra Pros cost in the shop. I'm insane though and order the Hyper Matte clears because they're the best sleeves I've ever used, but are $156 for a case.

Shadin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 7, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Fetterkey posted:

I actually think Calamity looks pretty bad at first glance. It doesn't affect tokens, so it's not a swarm removal card but rather one to get rid of lots of low-cost cappers.

Oh, it doesn't? I thought it did. That does drop it's value, but I think it's still valid as 1 of. Might just be the people I play against though :shobon:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

inSTAALed posted:

I sleeve my active decks in Dragonshields because pretty colors, keep the rest of my player cards in a binder full of ultrapro cheap sleeve pages, and I keep my encounter cards in the core box. Well I used to keep them all in the core, but I ran out of room so I moved my Saga encounter cards to a carboard long deck box.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
When I got out of Magic I was stuck with a bunch of UltraPro and Dragonshields of pretty decent quality, so I tend to just re-use those. I really wouldn't recommend sleeving everything, just enough for active decks. I was used to sleeving everything and it took a while to break the habit, but since I don't need to worry about condition and resale value anymore its a lot more relaxed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The full Blackmane unboxing is up on the Team Covenant channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/CovenantTCG/videos) now. There's some absolutely delicious stuff in there, especially the goddamn Eldar Starcannon attachment (all those high damage Tau/Eldar vehicles? They armorbane now son). I do find it hilarious that the Tau still don't get anything worth playing them as primary instead of allied though. Everything you'd want out of Tau is non-loyal and their default Warlord is so conditional it physically hurts to commit him (because a good portion of your turns you won't get to trigger his thing).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 7, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

The full Blackmane unboxing is up on the Team Covenant channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/CovenantTCG/videos) now. There's some absolutely delicious stuff in there, especially the goddamn Eldar Starcannon attachment (all those high damage Tau/Eldar vehicles? They armorbane now son). I do find it hilarious that the Tau still don't get anything worth playing them as primary instead of allied though. Everything you'd want out of Tau is non-loyal and their default Warlord is so conditional it physically hurts to commit him (because a good portion of your turns you won't get to trigger his thing).

I don't think there was ever a turn where I didn't throw down an attachment with Shadowsun, except maybe late game. 3x Ion Rifle, 3x Repulsor, 4x Stealth Cadre, 1x Signature Attachment Drone thing is 22% of your deck. I'm no statistics expert, but I think it is incredibly unlikely not to draw at least one of these in your opening hand with a mulligan. That's not even counting the fact that you are also likely playing 3x Earth Caste Technicians to draw up more attachments.

So throw down a Stealth Cadre or an Ion Rifle on a Marskman (or anything, really), and if they die, boom you get to recur it next turn. If they don't die, congrats you just won a planet and get something with at least 3-4 ATK in your retinue. Repulsor may not be a T1 play (unless you get a Fire Team Elite in which case, congrats), but it's an easy 2 shields that gives you an attachment option to recur when you want it.

Ambush Platform is suuuuper useful as well. Surprise Gun Drones on anything about to attack is devastating, but even a surprise Ion Rifle is basically a +3 ATK combat trick.

Tau is my favorite to play right now because it's just ludicrously versatile and kinda intimidating to pretty easily get what is effectively a 4/4 out in play on turn 1, but also probably really dependent on card draw. Their events are pretty terrible, though, but whatever.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The really awesome Tau attachments are cheap and non-loyal. Ambush Platform is non-loyal and race indifferent. Your Warlord depends on your drawing something from a subset of your cards, then playing a unit that can take an attachment and that you actually want an attachment on (and having that unit also in your hand) and then committing on the same planet. It's an incredibly predictable and one-note setup if you even happen to get it in your starting hand (or mulligan). And most of the time getting that set-up means you don't get the stuff you usually mulligan for: Sustainable Command Struggle victories.

Basically in my experience the Tau Warlord is only good when you draw well twice. You need a good hand draw turn 1 and you need a good planet draw during setup (a setup that supports going for the obvious Warlord+1 Unit+Attachment to win the fight on the same planet). Worst part is that the unit you want to have in your Warlords entourage can't take attachments.

But it's really the fact that almost all of the really great Tau shenanigans and their great cards are non-loyal (they're awesome though - Ion Rifle is amazing, Marksmen are just plain good, Trailblazers own and Devilfish are only going to get better and better as more vehicle-friendly attachments and buffs come out).

I don't think I've ever lost to a Tau player (or even seen him win) and most of the times I've seen them they got hosed by their incredibly conditional Warlord power. But hey maybe there's just nobody building good Tau decks in my local meta.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 8, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Is there some reason the Tau Warlord can't use his ability to play attachments on himself?

e: nevermind, there's like 1 Tau attachment that can be played on non-army units and it's free anyway. I'm sure if Tau got access to more warlord equippable attachments he would become significantly better.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 8, 2014

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

OK, SO I picked up LotR ages ago, and just recently got around to playing it with my regular Netrunner opponent. We ended up really enjoying it, and I'm kind of bummed out that I never tried it sooner. My question is this: as far as expansions go, is it best to do them in order and "unlock" cards as you play through AP's, or just get one cycle and throw the whole lot together and build from there? Also, at this point in the game's life, is it better to do the original AP's, or just do the base game and then do the Hobbit boxes?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

OK, SO I picked up LotR ages ago, and just recently got around to playing it with my regular Netrunner opponent. We ended up really enjoying it, and I'm kind of bummed out that I never tried it sooner. My question is this: as far as expansions go, is it best to do them in order and "unlock" cards as you play through AP's, or just get one cycle and throw the whole lot together and build from there? Also, at this point in the game's life, is it better to do the original AP's, or just do the base game and then do the Hobbit boxes?

A lot of people do the adventure packs using cards up to that adventure pack, then when you're done with it, either go through again with the entire unlocked card set (New Game+ mode, essentially) or go through the Nightmare decks.

Either way, do what you want.

sirtommygunn posted:

Is there some reason the Tau Warlord can't use his ability to play attachments on himself?

e: nevermind, there's like 1 Tau attachment that can be played on non-army units and it's free anyway. I'm sure if Tau got access to more warlord equippable attachments he would become significantly better.

I really, really think that card is best used as a 3 Shield, then recurred if you really wanted a +1 ATK. Ditto Repulsor.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is there a consensus on the original stuff vs. Hobbit? Either way, thanks for the response.

GrandpaPants posted:

A lot of people do the adventure packs using cards up to that adventure pack, then when you're done with it, either go through again with the entire unlocked card set (New Game+ mode, essentially) or go through the Nightmare decks.

Either way, do what you want.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there a consensus on the original stuff vs. Hobbit? Either way, thanks for the response.

Check this out http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Personally I did core -> khazad-dum exp -> dwarrowdelf cycle -> Black riders exp -> Mirkwood cycle -> Hobbit exp's -> Heirs of Numenor -> working on against the shadow now.
I liked the cards more in the dwarrowdelf so thought that was a good starting thing. Almost anything except HoN would work first, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh hype, that's a great guide! I think I'm going to do Hobbit since the original stuff is between printings at the moment. Thanks!