Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

TLG James posted:

I would imagine that it's probably a pretty lovely time to buy a console right now, considering black friday is right around the corner.

A lot of black Friday deals for Xbox have already started and are pretty good.

But then you're buying an Xbox so you're bad with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I just bought an Xbox so I could play Halo co-op. I'm bad with money, but having fun while doing it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jesus Christ what is wrong with this guy

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I think he's the rare kind of person to whom any kind of response is a good thing. It doesn't matter if it's criticism or complaints or whatever, it just makes him more intent on doing whatever he already decided to do.

That's the sense I get anyway, looking at all of his terrible, terrible threads in the LP forum.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I made a post on my Facebook profile asking people for advice on how to pick a financial adviser. I like my current adviser, and my friend who worked for a bank said that she's asking the right questions, but I decided it couldn't hurt to ask around and compare.

This inspired a single older woman on my friends' list to start talking to me. She is in her 50s and has no retirement savings at all. She told me that meetings with her financial adviser make her feel exhausted and she's going to work for the next two decades. :(

I thought my retirement savings were really bad, because I need to basically triple what I'm saving in order to have 20 years' worth of a lower middle class income (I set the little marker for $44k/year) when I retire. If I'd been saving instead of doing my traveling/costume/unmedicated major depression bullshit, I probably wouldn't be in as scary of a situation. At least one friend in her mid 20s told me that she hasn't saved for retirement because she's so overwhelmed with student loans, traveling to visit family, and wedding expenses--and she is aware of the long term ramifications of this, since she worked in a financial planning office for five years...

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 6, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

He can also be seen giving out weird trading "advice" in the Stock picking and Trading thread. He is the embodiment of every no-nothing know-it-all who stands by the water cooler giving out tips about the next HOT STOCK.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

legsarerequired posted:

I made a post on my Facebook profile asking people for advice on how to pick a financial adviser...

Unless you make seven figures you don't need a financial adviser. You just need to read some of the books recommended in the OP of Long term investing.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

There are a lot of people who are overwhelmed about money and have no clue what to do and seem to need someone to hold their hand with it. There are also a lot of people who could benefit from someone with more knowledge of the tax consequences of investing in non-retirement accounts.

It would be like a cross between a flat fee financial adviser and a tax accountant.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Droo posted:

There are a lot of people who are overwhelmed about money and have no clue what to do and seem to need someone to hold their hand with it. There are also a lot of people who could benefit from someone with more knowledge of the tax consequences of investing in non-retirement accounts.

It would be like a cross between a flat fee financial adviser and a tax accountant.

I know someone in particular who wants to do this later in life. Charge a flat fee to 20 somethings to tell them exactly how and why to invest in their retirement, work with 40 somethings who hosed up their retirement savings and need a helping hand, etc.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

silvergoose posted:

I know someone in particular who wants to do this later in life. Charge a flat fee to 20 somethings to tell them exactly how and why to invest in their retirement, work with 40 somethings who hosed up their retirement savings and need a helping hand, etc.

I would love to become a no-bullshit financial adviser. A person who not only looks at people's investing, but their spending also, and calls them out on it. "What? You bought an SUV worth more than your annual net salary? That's bullshit. Sell it now. I don't care if you're underwater on the loan. It's still costing you money, rear end in a top hat!"

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Droo posted:

That's why I'm talking to one. My previous employer set me up with a traditional IRA and I wanted to check with a professional that my idea to convert it to a roth IRA was the sensible one in the long-term. I probably won't talk to this lady after I take care of that.

EDIT: Rick, I think she's actually going to do that to me. She sent me home with a budget worksheet lol.

EDIT 2: I'm kind of concerned that I might be derailing the thread with personal finance chat--if anyone wants to give me input, please feel free to message me! Or if you don't have messaging, email me at sekprincess -at - gmail dot com. I really am open to ideas and feedback, but I don't want to derail the thread.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

legsarerequired posted:

I made a post on my Facebook profile asking people for advice on how to pick a financial adviser. I like my current adviser, and my friend who worked for a bank said that she's asking the right questions, but I decided it couldn't hurt to ask around and compare.

This inspired a single older woman on my friends' list to start talking to me. She is in her 50s and has no retirement savings at all. She told me that meetings with her financial adviser make her feel exhausted and she's going to work for the next two decades. :(

I thought my retirement savings were really bad, because I need to basically triple what I'm saving in order to have 20 years' worth of a lower middle class income (I set the little marker for $44k/year) when I retire. If I'd been saving instead of doing my traveling/costume/unmedicated major depression bullshit, I probably wouldn't be in as scary of a situation. At least one friend in her mid 20s told me that she hasn't saved for retirement because she's so overwhelmed with student loans, traveling to visit family, and wedding expenses--and she is aware of the long term ramifications of this, since she worked in a financial planning office for five years...

Protip: A lot of the advice you'll receive from financial advisors and retirement planners will include a stiff dose of fearmongering to scare you into giving them money to invest (which earns them commissions and fees.) Obviously more savings and less spending are both good things and I don't want to deter you from building a stronger financial future, but you really probably do not need to be in panic mode. You've mentioned that you're putting away $110 per paycheck + $68 employer match--if that's a twice per month paycheck that's honestly about enough to put you there, if you're planning on working to a full retirement age of 67. This is a minimum, granted, and anything you save above that is going to make your retirement more secure against future benefit cuts, employment setbacks, unexpectedly high inflation, etc. I absolutely would be trying to put a couple hundred more bucks away each month but you don't need to be self-flagellating over your lack of savings.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
As

Folly
May 26, 2010

I can't give anybody poo poo about investing. I see threads like this and I can't even figure out why some of these are bad. This guy seems like he's buying stock on a "OMG you guys, nobody else is buying this - IT HAS TO BE A DEAL!" without much concern as to why nobody else is buying it. I also see a lot of "hedges" without much actual investment to hedge against? I dunno, I guess I'll keep buying index funds.

Content:
Disney Guy at my office, who I've mentioned before, just bought a brand new car. He explained one of the reasons he bought this model was that "I wasn't going to buy another car without a navigation package." According to the website for this car, that package is about $1500. You know, for something his phone does already. And does it better because you don't have to take the car along to use it.

He also just got back from Disney, so of course he restarted his whiteboard countdown timer until his next Disney trip. It's now at 98 days. He's flying down to Orlando, but that's not bad. Without kids to buy tickets for it's actually a little cheaper to fly than drive from our city. He's chattered about Disney so much in the past month that 2 people, to whom I've never mentioned this topic to before, have approached me and started sentences with "If I have to hear about Disney one more time..."

Edit: Added quote so you it would be clear what I was replying to.

Folly fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 6, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Hey this guy invests in stocks the same way I do!

...the difference is i only ever invest with play money because I know I am horrible at picking stocks and when my 401k got rolled over to an IRA my choices were "proven fund, proven fund, another fund, and a bunch of bonds" Sure, this means I probably won't be able to cash it out at 59 1/2 and a live the good life for the next 30 years after, but on the other hand, it means i probably will be able to retire.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do most of your family members die with enough money to put dirt over their heads and not risk getting eaten by wild dogs? Because I'm 0 for 2 with my dad's family.

I was all excited when I saw Granny had a 10k life insurance polic...accidental death and dismemberment? On a homebound 87 year old? Who the gently caress picked this policy?

I guess dying with no more money left to spend is a form of winning, right?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do most of your family members die with enough money to put dirt over their heads and not risk getting eaten by wild dogs? Because I'm 0 for 2 with my dad's family.

I was all excited when I saw Granny had a 10k life insurance polic...accidental death and dismemberment? On a homebound 87 year old? Who the gently caress picked this policy?

My dad always said his goal in life was to die with $0 in his bank account, becase that means he didn't waste a single dollar that he could have spent enjoying life.

He's also very, very good with money and taught me to invest too, so i wouldn't even mind not getting an inheritance.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Folly posted:

I can't give anybody poo poo about investing. I see threads like this and I can't even figure out why some of these are bad. This guy seems like he's buying stock on a "OMG you guys, nobody else is buying this - IT HAS TO BE A DEAL!" without much concern as to why nobody else is buying it. I also see a lot of "hedges" without much actual investment to hedge against? I dunno, I guess I'll keep buying index funds.

Content:
Disney Guy at my office, who I've mentioned before, just bought a brand new car. He explained one of the reasons he bought this model was that "I wasn't going to buy another car without a navigation package." According to the website for this car, that package is about $1500. You know, for something his phone does already. And does it better because you don't have to take the car along to use it.

He also just got back from Disney, so of course he restarted his whiteboard countdown timer until his next Disney trip. It's now at 98 days. He's flying down to Orlando, but that's not bad. Without kids to buy tickets for it's actually a little cheaper to fly than drive from our city. He's chattered about Disney so much in the past month that 2 people, to whom I've never mentioned this topic to before, have approached me and started sentences with "If I have to hear about Disney one more time..."

Edit: Added quote so you it would be clear what I was replying to.

Please don't post anymore about Disney guy, it's so sad it almost makes me start to tear up.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Please don't post anymore about Disney guy, it's so sad it almost makes me start to tear up.

I love hearing about Disney guy. Photos of the countdown please.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kidhash posted:

Seconded. My life sucks right now, I want to revel in this fucker's stupidity.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kidhash posted:

I'm fascinated by a grown-rear end adult being so infatuated with Disney. At least he went during the Food & Wine Festival which is one of the few reasons it's acceptable & not creepy for adults without kids to be at Disney.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Seconded. My life sucks right now, I want to revel in this fucker's stupidity.

My life is good right now, but I also want to revel in this fucker's stupidity. Sneak a countdown photo into the thread.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I have some friends, a couple, that make me think of this thread.

They bought their place about 6 years ago for about $280,000. Spend all of their money of dumb poo poo like smokes (pack a day each), booze (rip off ready to drink type booze), expensive pets and just lots of little lovely 'keeping up with the neighbors' type stuff. Between them they would be lucky to earn 100k a year.

So 6 years later, they still owe $280,000 on the house because they keep redrawing on the loan to pay off the credit cards they keep maxing out. My buddy refuses to get a better paying job, even though he has been offered better jobs, because he feels like he is going to make his big break soon at his current employer. I don't think they have given him a pay rise is a few years, in reality he is is a expendable position and he is very comfortable.

So they decided to get the house reevaluated to something like $360,000 and they have used all that extra cash to pay for new cars, pay off credit cards (one good thing I guess) and overseas holidays (leave the kids at home though) because "we have been working hard".

Dudes going to be in debt for the rest of his life, every year the debt is piling up even though the house is increasing in value but there is no telling him what's best. Pretty pathetic watching the train wreck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CheeseFactory posted:

I have some friends, a couple, that make me think of this thread.

They bought their place about 6 years ago for about $280,000. Spend all of their money of dumb poo poo like smokes (pack a day each), booze (rip off ready to drink type booze), expensive pets and just lots of little lovely 'keeping up with the neighbors' type stuff. Between them they would be lucky to earn 100k a year.

So 6 years later, they still owe $280,000 on the house because they keep redrawing on the loan to pay off the credit cards they keep maxing out. My buddy refuses to get a better paying job, even though he has been offered better jobs, because he feels like he is going to make his big break soon at his current employer. I don't think they have given him a pay rise is a few years, in reality he is is a expendable position and he is very comfortable.

So they decided to get the house reevaluated to something like $360,000 and they have used all that extra cash to pay for new cars, pay off credit cards (one good thing I guess) and overseas holidays (leave the kids at home though) because "we have been working hard".

Dudes going to be in debt for the rest of his life, every year the debt is piling up even though the house is increasing in value but there is no telling him what's best. Pretty pathetic watching the train wreck.

What housing market has seen prices increase 80k since 2008? My home lost about 80k in value since that time.

Unless this is another country (Americans don't usually call vacations "holidays").

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 7, 2014

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Krispy Kareem posted:

What housing market has seen prices increase 80k since 2008? My home lost about 80k in value since that time.

Unless this is another country (Americans don't using call vacations "holidays").

Canada on the whole for one, specifically large cities like Toronto and Vancouver:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533827

My house (suburb of Toronto) has gone up about $150K in 5 years, based on what similar models are selling for now in the area.

Don't worry though - our come-up-its are on the horizon.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Krispy Kareem posted:

San Diego, my home has increased about $150k since I bought in early 09. Most places, I imagine. 08 was the bottom of the curve just about everywhere, wasn't it?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

moana posted:

San Diego, my home has increased about $150k since I bought in early 09. Most places, I imagine. 08 was the bottom of the curve just about everywhere, wasn't it?

Not here in Vermont! Selling my house and gonna eat a $30,000 loss.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Spermy Smurf posted:

Not here in Vermont! Selling my house and gonna eat a $30,000 loss.

Depends where you are in Vermont. My house has gone up in value.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

moana posted:

I was under this impression myself, but nope. There were two significant local minima; one in early 09, one in late 2011/early 2012. Nationwide, the 2012 minima was substantially lower than the 2009, although that wasn't the case in a lot of places (including San Diego). It looks like in most areas prices have gone up to around 2008 levels.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

kidhash posted:

Disney guy owns. I almost wish I got daily emails with whatever the gently caress he was up to.

You should get him to buy himself a gopro, so we can watch him walk around Disney all day, or whatever the gently caress you do there for the 80th time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

Depends on the area. Average home sale prices actually went up in my area in 2008 since a lot of people who wanted to sell couldn't because appraised values dropped so suddenly. So any homes that did sell were the really good ones that could command a premium. Then the foreclosures came and prices took a nose dive.

My state had the 2nd or 3rd worst foreclosure numbers in the country, so it's taken a lot longer for a recovery.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's incredible that in a lot of areas, housing prices are well above the bubble. It's just that those areas the the 'nice ones' and the 'bad ones' are still incredibly depressed and going through foreclosures.

Folly
May 26, 2010

TLG James posted:

Disney guy owns. I almost wish I got daily emails with whatever the gently caress he was up to.

You should get him to buy himself a gopro, so we can watch him walk around Disney all day, or whatever the gently caress you do there for the 80th time.

I doubt I'll be able to get a photo before the joke goes stale. His cube is in a high traffic area, so I doubt I'll get a good chance to take a picture without looking creepy to somebody. And there's only so creepy I'm willing to be at work. Just picture one of those tiny whiteboards, like the kind you'd put on a fridge or dorm room door. It has a 97 on it and there are little Mickey Mouse ears on the 9. (I think the ears were on the 8 yesterday.)

I did find out that his second trip this year is timed around some other conference he attends already being in Orlando, so that's a lot more reasonable. Sorry. Really, other than the Disney obsession and the terrible spending habits, he's an outgoing, professionally competent, married guy. I can't easily guess his age because he's got that slightly pudgy build common in IT (makes you look older) and he got that laser hair removal on his beard (makes you look younger). Oh, except for his mustache, he kept the mustache.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Folly posted:

I can't easily guess his age because he's got that slightly pudgy build common in IT (makes you look older) and he got that laser hair removal on his beard (makes you look younger). Oh, except for his mustache, he kept the mustache.

Wait, laser beard removal is a thing? Did he just get sick of shaving, or what?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Laser hair removal to keep yourself from being able to grow a glorious beard - but keep the mustache area? Talk about bad with money...

Folly
May 26, 2010
Yes, according to him he just got sick of shaving. Picture a shorter, less-fat version of Farva. (Appearance only, not personality. He's a fairly genial guy.)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Sure is better than letting it go to kids who didn't do poo poo to earn the money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Folly posted:

Yes, according to him he just got sick of shaving. Picture a shorter, less-fat version of Farva. (Appearance only, not personality. He's a fairly genial guy.)

In my head he's Bernie, from the Jack Black movie.

vv saaaaame

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 8, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aliquid posted:

In my head he's Bernie, from the Jack Black movie.

I went into that movie completely cold, and had one of the most magical film experiences of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Wait, laser beard removal is a thing? Did he just get sick of shaving, or what?

I've actually thought about this. I can't really grow facial hair into anything that doesn't look like poo poo, it's tempting to get ~3 minutes of my morning back and never have to worry about buying shaving cream/razors again (already do double-edged razors, not really much money left to save), not to mention having one less thing to pack when I travel.

Probably won't though :effort:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread