Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Best explanation I can give is the Elder Wand is so badass it achieved a level of sentience.

Yeah, I think it's only the Elder Wand that is supposed to follow that ownership rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wands being sentient has been a thing built into the books since the very beginning. The wand chooses the wizard and all that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I think it's only the Elder Wand that is supposed to follow that ownership rule.

Malfoy's regular wand is explicitly said by Ollivander to have changed ownership to Harry. That is why it becomes Harry's primary wand after the escape from Malfoy Manor, and apparently works well enough to not be worth a comment that it was more temperamental than Harry's holly wand or anything of that nature. The fact that no wand other than the Elder Wand appears to have followed these rules until 1997 is probably the biggest inconsistency in the series, so your confusion is totally understandable, syphon. Even if this were restricted to "life and death duels" or whatever there are certainly instances in the other six books where a change of ownership should have happened and been important, if JKR had thought of the idea then instead of (quite clearly) in the middle of writing book 7.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I figured it was a minor continuity error, and I'm prepared to accept it as such. Thanks for the clarification guys!

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I've always thought that most wands form a bond with their owners and can innately differentiate between being disarmed in a classroom duel or forcibly snatched in a life-or-death scenario. A wand won't easily change allegiance, with an exception in the Elder Wand; it plays by its own stringent rules.

As an example: Harry wrested Draco's wand from its master, while Hermione stole Bellatrix's wand from under her nose. Bellatrix's wand never wavered and Hermione could never 'tame' it because it was never earned from Bellatrix, while Draco's wand was won in a 'contest' and was ready to change allegiance because of it (like its owner, might I add), but accepted Harry completely after he had time to break it in. Context matters a lot to regular wands.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 7, 2014

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
The elder wand is super fickle and changes allegiance at the drop of a hat, pretty much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, regular wands will swap allegiances and let wizards who defeat their owners wield them, but if the new owner hands it back to the former owner they won't refuse to work for their old friend. Only the Elder Wand runs on bullshit machismo rules.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Best explanation I can give is the Elder Wand is so badass it achieved a level of sentience.

This is the only real explanation yeah

howe_sam posted:

Wands being sentient has been a thing built into the books since the very beginning. The wand chooses the wizard and all that.

I guess the Elder Wand is a power hungry and is always looking for a new owner, while most wands keep one forever

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
The other thing is, had Voldemort taken five minutes to think about it, he could have worked out Draco was the wand's master. Voldemort's biggest flaws are his arrogance and his fear of death. So he a) makes the assumption that defeating can only mean killing, and that the Elder Wand must clearly agree with him on this, and b) thereafter utterly fails to pay attention to the fact that neither Gregorovitch nor Grindelwald were killed for the wand, because how could he, Voldemort, be wrong? Two seconds asking around would have probably lead to him finding out that Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore, but two seconds spent investigating the possibility that murder was not the solution to every problem would have been two seconds wasted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jazerus posted:

Malfoy's regular wand is explicitly said by Ollivander to have changed ownership to Harry. That is why it becomes Harry's primary wand after the escape from Malfoy Manor, and apparently works well enough to not be worth a comment that it was more temperamental than Harry's holly wand or anything of that nature. The fact that no wand other than the Elder Wand appears to have followed these rules until 1997 is probably the biggest inconsistency in the series, so your confusion is totally understandable, syphon. Even if this were restricted to "life and death duels" or whatever there are certainly instances in the other six books where a change of ownership should have happened and been important, if JKR had thought of the idea then instead of (quite clearly) in the middle of writing book 7.

That is not true. Ron's wand was a bit of a gently caress up until he got one that was his own, and not just a hand me down. Neville's badass leveal went up when he got his own one and was not just using his parents.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. Ron's wand was a bit of a gently caress up until he got one that was his own, and not just a hand me down. Neville's badass leveal went up when he got his own one and was not just using his parents.

I thought Ron's wand only became a gently caress-up after he broke it while crashing the car into the Whomping Willow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I thought Ron's wand only became a gently caress-up after he broke it while crashing the car into the Whomping Willow.

They sort of hinted he had some trouble with it in the first book.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

bobkatt013 posted:

I think that's less an allegiance problem and more the materials used in the wands weren't tuned to them specifically. A good artist can paint with ketchup packets and fries, but they'd probably make something better with quality paints.

This is assuming wand allegiance was something present from the beginning of the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mercury Hat posted:

I think that's less an allegiance problem and more the materials used in the wands weren't tuned to them specifically. A good artist can paint with ketchup packets and fries, but they'd probably make something better with quality paints.

This is assuming wand allegiance was something present from the beginning of the series.

In the first book they mentioned that a wand choices its owner.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

That's not what I was talking about. That was established from the very beginning - and it implied that only a wand that chose a person would work right for whatever reason. The information that comes out of left field in book 7 is that if you disarm a guy in a duel, the wand switches allegiances to the winner of the duel and thereafter works just as well as if it had chosen them in Ollivander's.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Since his family was so poor, Ron had a hand-me-down wand that had belonged to one of his older brothers. And so, Ron's wand never got to choose him and was never a good fit for him. Later on, that wand finally got broken.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I personally always assumed that the Elder Wand was somehow creating or dramatically magnifying the effect. Like, if Harry had just disarmed Draco's wand in a duel some other random time when he didn't have the Elder Wand, nothing really would've happened, or there would've been a mild effect, but since Draco was the Elder Wand's current master, it switched allegiances (since that's what it does), and carried Draco's normal wand along for the ride.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And if Draco got a "new" wand when he won the Elder Wand from Dumbledore, why wouldn't his other wand "choose" a new owner?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Davros1 posted:

And if Draco got a "new" wand when he won the Elder Wand from Dumbledore, why wouldn't his other wand "choose" a new owner?

Multiple wands can "choose" the same person.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Why didn't Dumbledore leave instructions to have it destroyed when he died? :v:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

geeves posted:

Why didn't Dumbledore leave instructions to have it destroyed when he died? :v:

Why didn't Dumbledore do anything reasonable instead of hoping a 17 year old could make enough logic leaps to arrive at the conclusion he wanted?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Why didn't Dumbledore do anything reasonable instead of hoping a 17 year old could make enough logic leaps to arrive at the conclusion he wanted?

My headcanon is that he was actually just a felix felicis addict.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mercury Hat posted:

P-p-p-prophecies :toot:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

He wanted him to die.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Whether you were serious or not it's now mine too. drat you. :argh:

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

thexerox123 posted:

Holy poo poo.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
As a grown adult, can anyone share tips for stopping people from bullying you for reading a book for children?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just cover it with a paper sleeve that says "HOT SEX".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ArtIsResistance posted:

As a grown adult, can anyone share tips for stopping people from bullying you for reading a book for children?

Kindle.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ArtIsResistance posted:

Book sock and call it a textbook. Conversely, a fake cover of a raunchy romance.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Smash the 7th book in their face, lord knows it has enough heft.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bobkatt013 posted:

Neville's parents were defeated by Bellatrix Lestrange, so the whole time Neville was trying to use a wand that had switched allegiance to a Dark Witch. Even before getting the new wand he had a talent for Herbology, one of the only non-wand classes, but he's terrified of Death Eaters and predictably terrible at the class taught by a Death Eater. Neville was never a terrible wizard, he was just saddled with a wand that actively worked against him.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm driving 8 hours to play in a quidditch tournament this weekend, so people who ridicule me certainly aren't ridiculing me for reading the book.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Chamale posted:

Neville's parents were defeated by Bellatrix Lestrange, so the whole time Neville was trying to use a wand that had switched allegiance to a Dark Witch. Even before getting the new wand he had a talent for Herbology, one of the only non-wand classes, but he's terrified of Death Eaters and predictably terrible at the class taught by a Death Eater. Neville was never a terrible wizard, he was just saddled with a wand that actively worked against him.

That and Neville's whole family thought he was a squib for a bit (Probably because he was traumatized by what had happened to his parents) and for that he was defenestrated by his uncle for christ's sake.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah but if this concept of wand-loyalty was known by the teachers at Hogwarts (and I have to assume it was), wouldn't someone put two and two together and say "Hey, maybe Neville isn't so terrible after all, and he should try a different wand than his defeated-parents'?"

EDIT: I'm sticking with "Minor continuity error on the author's part. Accept it and move on" for this whole topic.

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 11, 2014

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Wear workout shirts and say you are using the seventh book for lifting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

syphon posted:

Yeah but if this concept of wand-loyalty was known by the teachers at Hogwarts (and I have to assume it was), wouldn't someone put two and two together and say "Hey, maybe Neville isn't so terrible after all, and he should try a different wand than his defeated-parents'?"

EDIT: I'm sticking with "Minor continuity error on the author's part. Accept it and move on" for this whole topic.

Hogwarts in general seems pretty lovely about helping students. I mean half of their teachers are various levels of terrible or inept. Even ignoring the Dark Arts teachers which were 1 for 7 of not being terrible, you had Snape and Hagrid and the Divination teachers who all shouldn't have been within five miles of a teaching position.

... Wow, and all of them were there because of Dumbledore-based nepotism. Way to go, Albus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 11, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Hogwarts staff positions were just a carrot he used as a manipulation tool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe that's why students had to study so hard for their OWLs - the teachers didn't actually help them learn what they needed to know.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Chamale posted:

Maybe that's why students had to study so hard for their OWLs - the teachers didn't actually help them learn what they needed to know.

That and their OWLs will determine their future. Only got 2 of 'em? Guess what, you'll be mopping floors at the Ministry until you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chamale posted:

I'm driving 8 hours to play in a quidditch tournament this weekend, so people who ridicule me certainly aren't ridiculing me for reading the book.

How do you... play quidditch in real life

• Locked thread