Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Aroma (as far as I understand) is a kind of boot script thing lots of ROMs use now to make the flashing process really user friendly.

HTC One M7 using the ViperOne v.7.0.1

I managed to use TWRP to fix the partitions and reformat ect.

Still stuck on 1% every time though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This is definitely not normal. Its been stuck at this step for over 10 minutes now (1%).

Edit: got it. Had to use an OLDER version of TWRP!

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you just flash it with fastboot instead?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just rooted my OnePlus and immediately decreased the DPI. Whoa, now suddenly this phone makes a lot more sense! Definitely recommended for any giant phone owners if you do nothing else with your root access.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Just rooted my OnePlus and immediately decreased the DPI. Whoa, now suddenly this phone makes a lot more sense! Definitely recommended for any giant phone owners if you do nothing else with your root access.

That's the one that puts more info on the screen, right? Did that to my note and I can confirm it's better.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

So I gave my old samsung galaxy nexus to my father to mess around with over a year ago. I had rooted and loaded some custom rom and I have no idea what it was because I haven't dicked with it since then. It might have been cyanogen or just takujo or whatever the stock rom was at the time. I wanted to get 4.0 on it when I had it because my nexus 7 got it OTA and I don't remember if the galaxy nexus did or not.

I figured he was just going to play around with the phone a bit and see how he liked the whole Android experience but he (somewhat?) recently restored to factory defaults with the settings menu.

The phone won't boot into the bootloader or anything like that, there's no indicator light that says it's connected to power with/without the battery in.

I'm guessing the phone is bricked but figured I'd ask here before I sent it off for recycling. I don't need the phone or really want it, but is there anything I should try before giving it up for ghost?

Since it's unresponsive to anything I figure it's a lost cause.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 7, 2014

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
quote =/ edit

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mr Newsman posted:

So I gave my old samsung galaxy nexus to my father to mess around with over a year ago. I had rooted and loaded some custom rom and I have no idea what it was because I haven't dicked with it since then. It might have been cyanogen or just takujo or whatever the stock rom was at the time. I wanted to get 4.0 on it when I had it because my nexus 7 got it OTA and I don't remember if the galaxy nexus did or not.

I figured he was just going to play around with the phone a bit and see how he liked the whole Android experience but he (somewhat?) recently restored to factory defaults with the settings menu.

The phone won't boot into the bootloader or anything like that, there's no indicator light that says it's connected to power with/without the battery in.

I'm guessing the phone is bricked but figured I'd ask here before I sent it off for recycling. I don't need the phone or really want it, but is there anything I should try before giving it up for ghost?

Since it's unresponsive to anything I figure it's a lost cause.

Well, I'm not sure what variant you have, but here's a post at XDA detailing using odin to reflash a soft bricked phone, and there are similar posts for other versions.

Lots of stuff for that phone still out there including 4.4.4 builds of potentially stable roms and official official images up to 4.3 depending on the model.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Blitter posted:

Well, I'm not sure what variant you have, but here's a post at XDA detailing using odin to reflash a soft bricked phone, and there are similar posts for other versions.

Lots of stuff for that phone still out there including 4.4.4 builds of potentially stable roms and official official images up to 4.3 depending on the model.

I guess I should clarify that it won't boot up at all. I have no idea what the man did to the thing but he done hosed it up good.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Newsman posted:

I guess I should clarify that it won't boot up at all. I have no idea what the man did to the thing but he done hosed it up good.

Uh so what do you think we can do? The phone won't power on at all? Have you tried putting it in the microwave for an energy transfusion?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mr Newsman posted:

Nothing weird with the USB port, like obviously wiggly or full of cruft? Failing anything that obvious a bit of googling suggested that the Galaxy Nexus had this kind of problem, occasionally solved by the following - remove USB power, remove battery, apply USB power, insert battery, press power button.

*shrugs* I mean, you can burn some incense and kill a few chickens for the added voodoo handwaving but it does sound like it might just be failed hardware too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I currently have Rogue ET 1.1.2 on my 4g Epic touch running Unnamed Rom from back in the stone age. It was a great Rom, light weight and light on the battery but I wanted to bump it to something more modern.

I notice a lot of Roms mention things with using the latest recovery version. Then other say things about the different types of recovery programs.

What's the safest way for me to get to something like this?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/epic-4g-touch/orig-development/rom-dirty-unicorns-4-4-4-v7-8-t2838547

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Blitter posted:

Nothing weird with the USB port, like obviously wiggly or full of cruft? Failing anything that obvious a bit of googling suggested that the Galaxy Nexus had this kind of problem, occasionally solved by the following - remove USB power, remove battery, apply USB power, insert battery, press power button.

*shrugs* I mean, you can burn some incense and kill a few chickens for the added voodoo handwaving but it does sound like it might just be failed hardware too.

USB port is fine. When searching a bit I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/bricked-gnex-brought-to-life-t1760787 and checked the device manager and turns out it was doing the same thing (omap popping in and out every couple of seconds).

Tried it, their .bat file wanted me to turn off the device (which isn't on). I'm not looking to spend a few more hours installing and uninstalling device drivers and trying to catch some two second window bullshit in order to get a phone I don't care much about back to life.

Thanks for the help though! It doesn't look like it's bricked but I can't really justify the time spent to get it back to life I don't think.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

maniacripper posted:

So I currently have Rogue ET 1.1.2 on my 4g Epic touch running Unnamed Rom from back in the stone age. It was a great Rom, light weight and light on the battery but I wanted to bump it to something more modern.

I notice a lot of Roms mention things with using the latest recovery version. Then other say things about the different types of recovery programs.

What's the safest way for me to get to something like this?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/epic-4g-touch/orig-development/rom-dirty-unicorns-4-4-4-v7-8-t2838547

What do you mean by "safe"? If you can't tell what you're flashing, or how to do it, then well, it's not safe, and you shouldn't do it. Why don't you read something on XDA? I mean, I know it's painful, but you could notice that cm11 (which the rom you want is based on) uses cwrm (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2652286) or perhaps other things like:

SomeDudeBro posted:

bxray posted:

Yea.. data comes and goes other than that the rom is Perfect <

K. Just making sure it wasn't just me... It is a sick ROM tho...

.. ah, useful - data comes and goes, randomly!. Might be worth waiting for a better build?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 7, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

maniacripper posted:

Um please call your phone by the correct name: The Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4g Touch by Sprint: The Now Network

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Blitter posted:

What do you mean by "safe"? If you can't tell what you're flashing, or how to do it, then well, it's not safe, and you shouldn't do it. Why don't you read something on XDA? I mean, I know it's painful, but you could notice that cm11 (which the rom you want is based on) uses cwrm (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2652286)

Hey thanks that's just what I was looking for!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone out there have some experience with creating keylayouts (.kl files) for usb devices for Android? I think I understand it (vendor_xx_product_xx.Kl) and it even seems trivially easy. In fact, I'm shocked I have yet to find an app that simply created/edits existing keylayouts (don't say tincore, it doesn't do this). There are apps that show you what keyevent each button does, they're apps that show which soft button is triggered by each keyevent, and they're apps that show you vendor and device id of plugged in peripherals. But there Is no app that does all 3 and saves it in a simply formatted text file that is a .kl

Yet despite all that, my attempt to create a kl for a generic usb gamepad I have did not work. Yes I know some games let you map the controls for that game but they're are actually many that do not and will only respond to a gamepad that conforms to a standard layout.

Any help?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Cross posting from the Sprint thread.

So I bought a supposedly new Note 2 and after setting it up it got an OTA 4.3 update. After it restarted the phone didn't boot. It would flash the white text "galaxy note" then nothing...

I went and ODIN flashed to 4.4.2 and I found some troubling things:

WTF does this poo poo mean? Knox is triggered and I know what that is so I guess this phone wasn't new after all?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Looks like its been rooted/boot loader unlocked. It shouldn't be a problem. Were you able to restore the original factory image via odin?

You should refer to XDA for restore solutions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2389426

Also this looks pretty straight forward:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: back to stock, unroot, stock recovery and reset flash counter
http://www.andromods.com/unroot-locking/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-restore-stock-no-root-reset-flash-counter.html

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 11, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why the gently caress are you giving him a project to do? Dude was sold a used phone as new, take it back. It doesn't matter if he can get it back to normal, he was sold something different than he was told.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Why the gently caress are you giving him a project to do? Dude was sold a used phone as new, take it back. It doesn't matter if he can get it back to normal, he was sold something different than he was told.

I assumed he bought it on craigslist or the like and uh good luck returning poo poo there. But ya if you bought it from a store why would you even post it here, take it back. Do they even sell new notes 2 anymore?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I was able to ODIN flash 4.4.2 and everything seems to be fine.

And I got it on Swappa, I've been in contact with the seller about it who of course has no idea why it says that since "all his phone are factory new".

I guess we'll see how it goes with Swappa since it's his word vs mine at this point.

VVVV The only way I know to check is through the ## menu on the phone and it reported the phone as not refurbished

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 11, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Who still has factory new phones that were released 2 years ago? You sure they are not factory refurbished?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

maniacripper posted:

I guess we'll see how it goes with Swappa since it's his word vs mine at this point.

I had a similar thing happen to me (bought "mint" phone on Swappa that had scuffs on it) and successfully resolved it through Paypal. Definitely file a Paypal claim if the seller won't take it back. Be sure to include details and point them to Swappa's condition criteria FAQ which states that new phones must be unused and never activated. Paypal tends to side with buyers so you will be fine. Also see if you can get the seller to admit to something (like the phone being refurbished) while talking to him on the Swappa sale page. Mine actually apologized for picking the wrong condition (and still refused a refund) so I added that tidbit when filing the claim.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Christ, Lollipop made poo poo even more complicated to have a working rooted system. This is an all-night project just to get two devices working.

And despite what the thread title says, until the Google cloud's restore function also includes user data such as login sessions, app preferences, etc; Titanium etc is always required IMO. That's just some basic poo poo that never has happened.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Christ, Lollipop made poo poo even more complicated to have a working rooted system. This is an all-night project just to get two devices working.

That's annoying to hear. What devices are you using?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nexus 5 and 10. Instead of flashing TWRP and a SuperSU binary, the everyman how has to get a device-specific root utility from Chainfire that runs a script of stuff, including some kind of boot image flash that on the device shows you a picture of a red bugdroid with a piracy eyepatch as text quickly flies by and then tah-dah you're rooted.

Apparently this is some kind of kernel patch due to all the SElinux additions that have been made. But it's simply the way things are right now for people who have a low tolerance for technical bullshit.

EDIT: So I'm flashing these Chainfire things and SuperSU doesn't appear at all. The more and more I go deeper into this hell, the more I think people will just start downloading pre-rooted OSes from XDA and not bother with patching their stock systems.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 13, 2014

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Stupid question: Why can't I flash a Nexus 5 system image with TWRP? Why do I have to connect it to a computer and run terminal commands?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Craptacular! posted:

Nexus 5 and 10. Instead of flashing TWRP and a SuperSU binary, the everyman how has to get a device-specific root utility from Chainfire that runs a script of stuff, including some kind of boot image flash that on the device shows you a picture of a red bugdroid with a piracy eyepatch as text quickly flies by and then tah-dah you're rooted.

Apparently this is some kind of kernel patch due to all the SElinux additions that have been made. But it's simply the way things are right now for people who have a low tolerance for technical bullshit.

EDIT: So I'm flashing these Chainfire things and SuperSU doesn't appear at all. The more and more I go deeper into this hell, the more I think people will just start downloading pre-rooted OSes from XDA and not bother with patching their stock systems.

Its really not as difficult as you are making out

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

b0nes posted:

Stupid question: Why can't I flash a Nexus 5 system image with TWRP? Why do I have to connect it to a computer and run terminal commands?

The system image isn't a zip. It contains a stock recovery that will overwrite your TWRP. And on the Nexus 5, there's a new radio.

Skarsnik posted:

Its really not as difficult as you are making out
Yeah, well, I had a hell of a time tonight trying to figure out the correct order of things, as well as dealing with a flukey bootloader (I get the "downloading" message much of the time, even when nothing is going on). A couple times I've ran the root script only to find no SuperSU in my app drawer for some reason, even when I flashed it via a recovery zip. I eventually managed to get it to work on my phone, but not my tablet. Which is fine, as I don't need it on my tablet quite so much.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 13, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has something changed from the second preview image? Fastboot modded kernel then root as normal. Haven't re-rooted yet but will be doing it today so I'll report back.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah its the same, but you might as well just use CF Autoroot, as it patches the kernel and installs SuperSU 2.20 in one go

Just run the zip from windows or whatever with the phone in fastboot mode

There are still a couple of apps that havent been updated properly to use it, es explorer for one (root explorer works fine), and you need the beta version of Titanium Backup

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Has something changed from the second preview image? Fastboot modded kernel then root as normal. Haven't re-rooted yet but will be doing it today so I'll report back.
Is there a place I should be grabbing this stuff? I haven't kept up but I know there's a kernel I need to flash but I haven't searched for it yet.

I'm sure Koush's Superuser hasn't been updated yet either so I guess I have to go back to SuperSU.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah its the same, but you might as well just use CF Autoroot, as it patches the kernel and installs SuperSU 2.20 in one go
I don't really like these "auto root" things.

I grabbed the CF-Auto-Root package and it's just a shell script which boots to (not flashes) a mysterious kernel image. Presumably that then patches the kernel and installs SuperSU, but it's a little opaque.

LastInLine posted:

Is there a place I should be grabbing this stuff? I haven't kept up but I know there's a kernel I need to flash but I haven't searched for it yet.
If you're happy with the method mentioned above you can get CF-Auto-Root here. Bottom of the page for Nexus devices, make sure there's a Lollipop version for your device, take a backup, bla bla, you know the ropes.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

I don't really like these "auto root" things.

I grabbed the CF-Auto-Root package and it's just a shell script which boots to (not flashes) a mysterious kernel image. Presumably that then patches the kernel and installs SuperSU, but it's a little opaque.

Yeah i'm usually the same, but seeing as otherwise all I'd be doing is installing the modified kernel from chainfire, and then installing supersu from chainfire..

I might as well just let chainfires script do it all in one

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there ever going to be a version of gravitybox for L? I'm glad I have to root my device and use extra software to get rid of the 'potential hearing damage' message every time I plug in my headphones. Also the fact that it sets the volume back to half way every loving time :thumbsup:

Or does this not happen on L? Anyone in the uk can confirm this?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Is there ever going to be a version of gravitybox for L? I'm glad I have to root my device and use extra software to get rid of the 'potential hearing damage' message every time I plug in my headphones. Also the fact that it sets the volume back to half way every loving time :thumbsup:

Gravitybox on Lollipop is really all dependent on if the Xposed dev gets it (Xposed) working on ART.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

track day bro! posted:

I got that message once but never again, it seems to remember over a reboot now. It doesn't reduce the volume when you plug headphones in either.

Also when I did get the message I almost missed it, as apparently just pressing volume up again clears it now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Skeezy posted:

Gravitybox on Lollipop is really all dependent on if the Xposed dev gets it (Xposed) working on ART.

The Xposed guy has spent the last 6 months or so whining about ART support so it's probably going to be a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whizbang posted:

The Xposed guy has spent the last 6 months or so whining about ART support so it's probably going to be a while.

Honestly I wonder if he's even going to bother doing it.