Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And today on The Life Of 13 Inch: Will he get tetanus when he fuels up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Oh dear- lockjaw the day before he meets CSB? How will this turn out? Tune in to TBS Fridays! Followed by Tyler Perry steals more bad 80s sitcoms, and I Loathe the 70s!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Arrath posted:

And today on The Life Of 13 Inch: Will he get tetanus when he fuels up?

I heard after the credits theres a stinger for next weeks episode
it involves the phrase extensive soft tissue trauma due to fragmentation of the genital region

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just literally nearly died in the civic this is jot goon hyperbole post soonwhen hands stop shaking

Pulled over car is safe

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:ohdear:

You're safe, stay safe, motherfucker.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drat dude, hope everything's ok :ohdear:

VVVV gently caress :stare:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 7, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Took a couple cigarettes and a cool down in the night air but I made it home uneventfully after the incident.

For Seattle goons, it happened at the I5 northbound onramp from 50th avenue sort of between Greenlake and the U district I guess. Left turn arrow goes green, the car in front of me makes the turn. I proceed and at about 45* halfway into my left turn I suddenly notice headlights in my passenger window. I reacted purely on instinct because it happened so fast I didnt even fully process wha was happening and slammed my brakes and cranked full left to clear my nose. I managed to pull abou a 120* left turn which was good because the headlights were from a newer sedan moving at a high rate of speed, my experience guessing above 50mph possibly 60 in a 30 blew the red and passed me so closely that the air blast rocked my car. If i hadnt braked or turned past my line i would have been T boned.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm glad you're okay.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Believe me i am too!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Don't die 13, we need you. So glad you're OK.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Dude :stare:

You are one lucky motherfucker. Hopefully that rear end in a top hat only hurts himself/herself when they inevitably plow into a tree/wall/pole/embankment.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Glad you are ok man, thank god for quick reflexes :stare: Does that light have a camera? Hopefully something bad happens to that rear end in a top hat, one way or another.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you have a dash cam yet?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Been a crazy night for that. Saw a slower but similar wreck in Ballard tonight. Glad you're ok

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Glad it was just a close call, 13.

On a lighter note I just learned of this today and am thinking your next car needs to be a Peel P50.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Jesus dude, we need to get you back into a panther. I don't want you to end up as an organic crumple zone. :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Jesus dude, we need to get you back into a panther. I don't want you to end up as an organic crumple zone. :ohdear:

Or worse. a second you.

Cage the fucker!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Or worse. a second you.

I'm sure you think this is funny. I don't. If you had any idea the hell I have gone through and CONTINUE to go through every day, you'd probably understand why this isn't something I appreciate. Please stop. I don't find it funny.

I've found the next 13" mobile and it is being sold tomorrow at auction:

'64 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 2 door Convertible - White leather interior. 8 track tape, No Air. 43K original miles on a 4 speed manual transmission original engine.

Adding here because I don't want to continue derail:

Ozmiander posted:

Funny, because that's how some feel about your continued posting. <3

Maybe you can poo poo on me in the current off-topic instead of in 13" thread? ThanXXX :bigtran:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

I'm sure you think this is funny. I don't. If you had any idea the hell I have gone through and CONTINUE to go through every day, you'd probably understand why this isn't something I appreciate. Please stop. I don't find it funny.

:(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Viggen posted:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geirskogul posted:

Do you have a dash cam yet?

I think a dashcam would be too high of a draw for that tiny cars electrical system.

poo poo like that is why I stay the gently caress out of the u-district if I can, to many drunk college kids.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Viggen posted:

Don't be selfish.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can respect a man enthusiastic about some of the uglies and worst designed cars ever made so as far as Im concerned this is a Viggen Safe Zone.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'll give you Ugly. They're an acquired taste. However, worst designed, I do have an issue with. See first: The French, Italians, and the Eastern Bloc.

The ignition cassette is kind of an (expensive) oddity, I'll admit. Putting the cat so close to the oil pan on the first gen 9-3 and 9-5 wasn't a great idea. The fact that the SID (and climate control) has about 10 years of use until it melts its own cables apart from the heat of the light bulbs (well into the era of reliable LEDs), not great. The fact that when your ABS controller shits the bed, you lose your speedo- not ideal. The plastic bits of the window regulator which eventually get sawed through with heavy window use- not the best of ideals for longevity.

The fuckers are built like tanks, though- and they'll fly without any modifications. Even the LPTs.

Still see: The French, Italians, and Eastern Block.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Firewall side accessory belts :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
the clutch was the best on those. you had to depress the fingers to get the fucker together.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I can respect a man enthusiastic about some of the uglies and worst designed cars ever made so as far as Im concerned this is a Viggen Safe Zone.

I think Saabs look good.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Firewall side accessory belts :v:

The 900 was different. But when you look at how the transmission mated up to the off-kilter engine, it starts to make sense... oh gently caress it, I love the Kool-Aid. It really was a strange beast, and often a royal pain in the rear end to deal with. Other times, it made sense.

goatse guy posted:

I think Saabs look good.

Why hello there. :clint:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was the co-driver / navigator in a TSD rally in a 4-door Saab 900 a few years ago. Other than the godawful overheating problem (expansion tank and associated hoses were borked), it was a pretty cool car - I would happily DD one, especially the convertible.

I credit the crystal ball over my shittastic navigation for our second-place (of 6) finish.
SCO 2011 TSD 14 by Execudork, on Flickr
Note the Cursed Skull in the bottom-left; perhaps it was responsible for the overheating?
SCO 2011 TSD 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

In searching flickr for my own photo, I stumbled across this one, not by me.
Elie Saab Le Parfum by colourmeniki, on Flickr
Now you can smell like quirky Swedish engineering!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Why hello there. :clint:

I want a 900 SPG with window louvers.

ExecuDork posted:

In searching flickr for my own photo, I stumbled across this one, not by me.
Elie Saab Le Parfum by colourmeniki, on Flickr
Now you can smell like quirky Swedish engineering!

Elie Saab is a Lebanese fashion designer. His dresses are so pretty.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I want a 900 SPG with window louvers.

No, you want the same as I do. '78 99 Turbo with louvers. In silver.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

No, you want the same as I do. '78 99 Turbo with louvers. In silver.

I want a lot of Saabs.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I want a lot of Saabs.

Guess I need to setup a Tinder account, then. :pervert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

goatse guy posted:

I want a lot of Saabs.

While I have thrown my lot in with the other Swedish manufacturer, I have always loved the 99s and 900s and wouldn't turn down the opportunity to own either one if I could.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Guess I need to setup a Tinder account, then. :pervert:

So that I can gently caress with you and then post about it in AI?

I have my range set to ten miles because anything more than that is long-distance to me. Sorry Viggen.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I heard this was a Saab thread?

I learned to drive in a Saab 900.
I learned to rebuild manual transmissions in a Saab 900.
I learned to drive with the heater on and all the windows open in the middle of winter in a Saab 900.

I miss my father's Saab habit.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

So that I can gently caress with you and then post about it in AI?

I have my range set to ten miles because anything more than that is long-distance to me. Sorry Viggen.

Feel free to post about it. It'll take about as many seconds.

I'm only a few hundred miles from Vegas. v:shobon:v

thelightguy posted:

I heard this was a Saab thread?

EVERY thread is a SAAB thread. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How hard is this front end hit to fix? It looks like it's mostly bolt-on panels but I thought these were front-hinged hoods.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1987-saab-900-turbo-spg/1008066585?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If I could put the two of these on a driveway alongside each other and just swap body panels until I have something that looks driveable, I might do it. If there's welding and tree-latching forget it.

Is that intercooler SPG-unique? It looks ok from the picture but I bet it's leaking.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How hard is this front end hit to fix? It looks like it's mostly bolt-on panels but I can only imagine how badly a front-hinged hood will screw up a rad support if prodded.

Depends on how hosed up it actually is. Sold my '900 Vert, and the new owner drove it into a deer.

He had to replace the left front headlight assembly (hard to find), but he has been driving it the same since then. i never should have sold her :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ozmiander posted:

Jesus, guys, if you think Viggen is an awful poster, you need to venture out of AI/SA once in a while.

For the record, I think Saabs are odd, but that's cool. I respect a car company that tried to do it a little differently than everyone else was doing it. I mean, I drive a fricking rotary, for Finagle's sake.

Also, score on that Honda motorbike gas cap, 13. Who'da thunk it?

• Locked thread