Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Urza was disguised as noted blue card, Blind Seer. He was probably Blue-White, but he was pretty fricken blue.

He was an artificer before he spark awoke, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Urza was disguised as noted blue card, Blind Seer. He was probably Blue-White, but he was pretty fricken blue.

But when he gets mad or drawing some rad tattoos on Karn he's red.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know that nee Emrakul's a joke but I wonder why we haven't seen more cards with Phage-like clauses stopping you from cheating them into play. Maybe nothing as extreme as losing the game if you don't, but I could see a slightly undercosted fatty with "when this ETB, sacrifice/exile it if it wasn't cast", or "this card is better if it was cast".

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

But when he gets mad or drawing some rad tattoos on Karn he's red.

THis has been discussed before but the thought was that those cards had to do with his status as a Pre-Mending 'walker.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I only run EDH these days, and I run a kithkin tribal with Gaddock Teeg (instead of goodstuff Gaddock Teeg so people sometimes will actually play against it) and a Sliver Hivelord voltron deck that's honestly super fun.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Standard: I play Gr Devotion because I played mono Green Devotion all last standard season and it wasn't too hard to update. I also have Robits, which is fun as hell but frequently bad, I'm sad to see that TWoo is pushing a worse version of it now.

Modern: Merfolk is my main deck, I started picking up pieces for the deck as soon as Aether Vial was spoiled in MMA since (at the time) $20 seemed unreasonable to spend on a single card. I have pretty much all the pieces to make any U or UW version of the deck, although I still need to pick up a playset of Remands. I'd been on UW since KtK came out but Delver Cruise was kicking my rear end. If Cruise doesn't get banned I'll probably give the 4 Chalice 4 Cavern list a go. I also built MonoGreen Stompy because I wanted a cheap second deck and it's turned out to be pretty good, I spent next to nothing to get it together and have since almost completely foiled it out with prize money. It also has great game against Delver which should be nice for the rest of the year.

Legacy: I have everything I need for legacy Merfolk except for a Daze, and playsets of FoW and Wasteland :shepspends:

EDH: I have a Trostani tokens n' lifegain shenanigans deck that I like a lot but is frequently deemed "unfun," a Sigarda voltron deck that is deliberately unfun. a Vela the Nightclad deck that I haven't touched in almost a year, and an Odric solider token deck that I'll be changing to emphasize equipment a little bit more if I can pick up the new white precon for MSRP.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

All I play is limited :shrug:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

C-Euro posted:

I know that nee Emrakul's a joke but I wonder why we haven't seen more cards with Phage-like clauses stopping you from cheating them into play. Maybe nothing as extreme as losing the game if you don't, but I could see a slightly undercosted fatty with "when this ETB, sacrifice/exile it if it wasn't cast", or "this card is better if it was cast".

They are straying away from punishing effects on cards, and with the Eldrazi instead with with a bonus for actually casting it.

That's a good way for them to go about it, I feel, as opposed to the Phage-ness.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

EDH: I have a Trostani tokens n' lifegain shenanigans deck that I like a lot but is frequently deemed "unfun," a Sigarda voltron deck that is deliberately unfun. a Vela the Nightclad deck that I haven't touched in almost a year, and an Odric solider token deck that I'll be changing to emphasize equipment a little bit more if I can pick up the new white precon for MSRP.

Of all the possible things to be unfun in EDH how is tokens and lifegain possibly unfun?

The mind boggles.

Even if you're winning with Felidar Sovereign and/or Test of Endurance how is that unfun :psyduck:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BXCX posted:

Legacy: I have everything I need for legacy Merfolk except for a Daze, and playsets of FoW and Wasteland :shepspends:

Well you got the cheap part of the deck! Now for the legacy part.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BJPaskoff posted:

They're the product of 20 years of card sleeve evolution, and they're fantastic. The only downside of them is that they come in 80-card packs instead of 100.

Ironically, the best sleeves ever came out soon after Magic was released, and sadly they're out of production now:

Aside from being a magnet for thumbnail marks, these sleeves last forever if you treat them right. I still have sleeves from ~20 years ago that I occasionally use for casual drafts.

Mine are still ticking:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The best EDH deck is rules lawyer Teysa (Teysa, Orzhov Scion that is), which is basically Death and Taxes with black cards in for flavor.

It is the deck I use when I'm not on Modo where the only deck I have is Draft Dregs Wydwen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pyronic posted:

Mine are still ticking:

I still have some of those with ball lightening and the gang still in them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

a dozen swans posted:

What do you all play, and why?

YuGiOh.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

They're the product of 20 years of card sleeve evolution, and they're fantastic. The only downside of them is that they come in 80-card packs instead of 100.

Ironically, the best sleeves ever came out soon after Magic was released, and sadly they're out of production now:

Aside from being a magnet for thumbnail marks, these sleeves last forever if you treat them right. I still have sleeves from ~20 years ago that I occasionally use for casual drafts.

Those early Ultra Pros blow everything they make today out of the water, quality-wise. I got a set of clear-backed ones in '98 back when I started playing pokemon and they lasted me until my yugioh deck (sleeved in the incorrectly sized sleeves) got stolen in '03.

I wish I still had those drat things - I didn't even know sleeve-splitting was a thing that could happen until I got into Magic around 9th edition.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Anecdotally, the best sleeves you can get now are Dragon Shield Purples. I have never known one to split, and have seen them last 10 years.

Not any of those other colors though, those are trash.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Deckchat:

Standard: Nothing, but I might put that Jeskai Ascendancy Heroic deck together because it looks silly.

Modern: Scapeshift and U/W Prison. Please U/W Prison online right now, it owns bones.

Legacy: Dredge, Sneak and Show, and Solidarity.

Vintage: Dredge, because it is all I can afford in that format :negative:

deftest
May 7, 2011
Re: color discussion from last page

Bilbo is clearly a green creature. Maybe he adds red or blue at certain points. But never white. He has no interest in his community and wants nothing better than for everything to stay the same. His fastidiousness has nothing to do with the greater good. He's just set in his ways. When he leaves the shire he may have a few red moments. But I hold that nothing he does is particularly white. I vote for green/blue with some sort of 'cannot be blocked' shenanigans.

Now Frodo? There's a white creature.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dr. Stab posted:

Anecdotally, the best sleeves you can get now are Dragon Shield Purples. I have never known one to split, and have seen them last 10 years.

Not any of those other colors though, those are trash.

They last forever, but Dragon Shield Purples pick up identifying dirt and pockmarks on the back of the sleeves.

KMC Hyper Mat Reds and Blues all seem to have cutting consistency issues: the sleeves from the two packs of 40 have different shinyness on the side and/or back edges. i.e. If a cheater puts all their land in sleeves from pack 1 and spells in sleeves from pack 2, all they have to do is angle the deck a bit until the light from the room reflects off the sleeve edges to check if their mana is sufficiently not-clumped, a trick that is swifter and easier to perform than Trevor Humphries-esque sleight of hand.

Until they acknowledge and fix this issue, KMC Hyper Mat Black is the only way to go. (I don't have experience with the newer Greens).

deftest
May 7, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

They last forever, but Dragon Shield Purples pick up identifying dirt and pockmarks on the back of the sleeves.

The dudes at my LGS are all super into dragon shield Turquoise/Copper. They're on a separate display from the rest of the dragon shields, and claims are made that these two colors are from a sort of 'new process' that are of a higher quality. These claims are corroborated by some of the people that work at the store... but I'm not sure I trust any of them to have any actual reasoning behind them.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Google results inconclusive

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AgentSythe posted:

Deckchat:

Standard: Nothing, but I might put that Jeskai Ascendancy Heroic deck together because it looks silly.

Modern: Scapeshift and U/W Prison. Please U/W Prison online right now, it owns bones.

Legacy: Dredge, Sneak and Show, and Solidarity.

Vintage: Dredge, because it is all I can afford in that format :negative:

Have you posted that Prison list before? I thought I remembered a coupl people talking about it but wasn't sure.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Please no return to Zendikar. The last thing I want to see is

Emrakul, Time Enraged - 20 (doesn't matter he will be cheated into play)
Annihikator 3000000
Take 6 turns when a emrakul enters the battlefield, you cannot lose the game.
Emrakul has protection from all other players and can't be countered.
40/45

Quicken, supreme verdict. :smug:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Standard: Picking up Jeskai Heroic because Aggro-Combo is my favorite archtype, and the Ascendancy tokens deck I brewed doesn't seem to be working out.

Modern: BUG Infect. Again, Aggro-Combo, but I might switch to Burn if Cruise stays unbanned and the meta doesn't have a lot of lifegain.

Legacy: Don't play this much, but I'm working on learning Elves. May pick up UG Infect instead at some point.

Pauper: Mono-G Stompy.

Cube: I tend to pick Equipment highly and end up with creature based decks built around using it, most often they are GW but sometimes I add in red or blue. I almost never play black.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

deftest posted:

The dudes at my LGS are all super into dragon shield Turquoise/Copper. They're on a separate display from the rest of the dragon shields, and claims are made that these two colors are from a sort of 'new process' that are of a higher quality. These claims are corroborated by some of the people that work at the store... but I'm not sure I trust any of them to have any actual reasoning behind them.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Google results inconclusive

I've seen the copper ones. They do feel different in a better way, but I'm too burned on Dragonshields to buy them. Multiple times I've had half the sleeves in my pack be much taller than the other half, so I've sworn them off.

Oh I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfQsREpXrE as I was typing this post. The copper and turquoise are flatter. That video also shows the new UltraPro "Pro Slayer" sleeves, which have a glossy back and are way too tight for double-sleeving.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Zoness posted:

Of all the possible things to be unfun in EDH how is tokens and lifegain possibly unfun?

The mind boggles.

Even if you're winning with Felidar Sovereign and/or Test of Endurance how is that unfun :psyduck:

The deck was fine back when I lived in Maryland, I'd get fun policed a lot because the deck gets way out of hand if left unchecked but it was always good times. The EDH players at the store I play at now are intolerable, the deck has a lot of degenerate plays but they're mostly super durdly and involve 3-4 card combos. T2 Luminarch Ascension threw everyone into fits; Earthcraft+Squirrel Nest are bananas on their own but made massive feelbads when combined with other cards (add Altar of Dementia for instant mill everyone out, add Archangel of Thune and Trostani for infinite life and infinitely large squirrels, Craterhoof Behemoth to wreck anyone not running Fog), Natural Order and Defense of the Heart for fatties made everyone sad, Veldalken Orrery and Seedborn Muse are an offense to the Spirit of EDH (Prophet of Kruphix is okay btw :ironicat:), and somehow I'm the bad guy if I end up with Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and Primal Vigor on the battlefield and get to make infinite Saprolings with Sprout Swarm.

The solution was to stop playing pickup EDH at the store and only play with friends, I play a lot less EDH but it's much more enjoyable when I do.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well you got the cheap part of the deck! Now for the legacy part.

I'm holding out for reprints so I can get into Legacy right around 2040 when WotC is printing cards like mad as a final cash grab after Return to Homelands 3: Fall of Autumn Willow tanks and threatens to push Hasbro into bankruptcy.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So are there any potential breakout cards in the new commander set? Nothing sticks out quite as bad as TNN, but a few seem good outside of commander. Containment priest in D&T, maybe dualcaster mage?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
That's pretty much it so far, expect big box stores to be short on red and white for a little bit and your LGS to charge a little bit more for them. Containment Priest is driving up demand for the white one and the red one is the only one with known monetary value and potential money card Dualcaster Mage in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So are there any potential breakout cards in the new commander set? Nothing sticks out quite as bad as TNN, but a few seem good outside of commander. Containment priest in D&T, maybe dualcaster mage?

Containment Priest is one of my favorite cards ever. It screws so many decks that I hate playing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Containment Priest is iffy, though, because the biggest deck that would run it also runs Aether Vial.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Double doom-blade seems like it could go places

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toshimo posted:

Containment Priest is iffy, though, because the biggest deck that would run it also runs Aether Vial.

Self-hating bears? :emo:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

deftest posted:

Double doom-blade seems like it could go places

Doubtful. I tried thinking through Legacy boardstates where this card would be good enough to side in, and I couldn't do it without a real stretch.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Have you posted that Prison list before? I thought I remembered a coupl people talking about it but wasn't sure.

It gets posted every now and then in the Eternal thread, and was designed by streamer and certified Cool Dude dissolution_of_eternity. I played it in GP Richmond, but lost my win and in for day 2. This is the deck as currently constructed for me.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
What I'm playing :bandwagon:

Mostly KTK draft right now.

Standard: I've got a white-weenie Soldiers deck that's doing okay after adding some Defiant Strikes to keep my hand from running out by turn 4, could probably use an Obelisk of Urd or two.
I'm running a pretty poo poo version of U/R Robots that needs more counters and removal but I'm not sure what to pare out to get them in there.
I'm building a Temur poo poo-stomper deck but currently super :effort: about trading for stuff I need.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Right but the fact that it can be vialed in first in response to sneak attack/show and tell/reanimator gives it a lot potential use. You couldn't vial afterwards but they can't do anything either and you still have spells to cast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Right but the fact that it can be vialed in first in response to sneak attack/show and tell/reanimator gives it a lot potential use. You couldn't vial afterwards but they can't do anything either and you still have spells to cast.

It has flash.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Zoness posted:

Teferi is a blue protagonist. He uses his trickery to get things done to save continents and stuff. Also chocorojo wrote a pretty neat summary of the Kamigawa books but I don't remember what the link was but how "easily" a color is aligned with good or evil is more or less based on inherent bias. Anyway that's one of the really dumb things about Jace is once they characterized him they started being a lot lazier with making cool blue good guys. Venser in time spiral block was a really cool dude. Arcum Daggson was also neat but he's kind of an idiot.

Although I believe Red/Green is the color combination that is antagonized the least and Theros Block is of course a very recent example of a Red/Green main antagonist.

Toshi's one of the most interestingly characterized black-aligned protagonists though. He gets his powers by making deals with the Myojin of Night's Reach, who favors him as a Champion since he's clever and self-serving (I'd argue it's kind of like how Athena favors Odysseus in the Odyssey). He spends a lot of his time getting revenge on people and protecting his own hide but because Kamigawa is so messed up all of these actions are done against people who are even bigger jerks making him basically the nicest person on the plane that doesn't become a god at the end of the story. Kamigawa's overall story reminds me of the Jin Yong wushu novel about how almost all the structured parts of society have become corrupt so the protagonist is someone who more or less rejects most of these and that's one of the better frameworks for a black-aligned protagonist although red is probably the more obvious color here.

Also I think Heidar is a really cool blue antagonist.

I would think if you can go on outside sources Captain Jack Sparrow would be a black hero. I mean he is tootally slef-serving and selfish, but at the end of the day he helps the other heroes becuase he still has some moral compass. Maybe he is a bit red too though?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Draft: I stopped drafting Khans because I continually get mana screwed. Nothing wrong with my shuffling, I'd just have a match where I never have more than three lands in play both games every tournament and I couldn't take it anymore. It doesn't happen to me in cube, Commander, or Standard, so no idea what's going on with that. I prefer not to think about it too hard because it's illogical.

Standard: I have a homebrew Sultai Control deck with Ashioks and Villainous Wealths that does pretty well, but I don't play in tournaments.

Vintage: I did really well for a while with Bant Fish, but the metagame changed, so I tried Oath. I can't get a handle on it, so I'm probably taking it apart and building some Stoneforge Mystic deck.

Commander: This is boring as gently caress now, filled with blue-green decks and mono-blue decks that play Mana Leak. I have four decks, but haven't played in months because it's a miserable experience. I hope a lot of people try building the non-blue mono-colored planeswalker-commanders so I don't see the same poo poo 100% of the time.

Cube: I have a common/uncommon cube and a multiplayer cube, neither get enough use for my liking.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Draft: I stopped drafting Khans because I continually get mana screwed.

Have you considered mana weaving?

If it's a casual event bring your deck to the bathroom and go nuts. Draft is fun when you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

Have you considered mana weaving?

If it's a casual event bring your deck to the bathroom and go nuts. Draft is fun when you win.

Why waste 3 hours doing that when you could just steal everyone else's cards in way less time?

• Locked thread