Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Aside from the mini lightsabers in the hilt that'd make it a loving danger to the person using it more, It isn't a bad idea design wise.

We've seen worse.

Let's not forget about ol' Saber Knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

buffybot posted:

Basically the goatse of Star Wars.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

buffybot posted:

No, actually let's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

buffybot posted:

I misread the books he was in, so for the longest time I pictured him as having a full length blade extending from each wrist and a full length blade extending from each knee, which my 14-year old mind thought was pretty incredible. I imagined him as being sort of like the dude from that one episode of Batman Beyond with the cyborg gang who had chainsaws coming out his knees and forearms. Know the one I'm talking about?

Obviously, I was quite disappointed to realise that it was... Well, that.

I think he was the dark-jedi-of-the-week in one of the Bantam books as well, yes?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The thing of it is, the lightsaber crossguard makes sense. IF you have to have a lightbroadsword, then if you're fighting in that style you need the crossguards to help parry attacks that would otherwise slide down your blade. And since a crossguard made of regular materials would just get sliced off, the lightcrossguard actually serves a function.

Of course, if we walk it back a step, the whole idea of a lightbroadsword is a dumb one. The main advantage to a heavy blade like that is so that you can cleave through armor with the extra mass of the weapon. You give up maneuverability in exchange for power, in other words. Except with light weapons, there is no mass and there's no need to cleave hard through armor. Your weapon cuts through anything already!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One feature of Dark Forces II that never fails to crack me up is how one of Jerec's posse (Boc) has a "double-bladed lightsabre" that's basically two swords stuck together parallel to one another, which means it has an extra-wide blade before he splits it in two.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Was that in a novel or something? In the game he just used two lightsabers.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

jng2058 posted:

The thing of it is, the lightsaber crossguard makes sense. IF you have to have a lightbroadsword, then if you're fighting in that style you need the crossguards to help parry attacks that would otherwise slide down your blade. And since a crossguard made of regular materials would just get sliced off, the lightcrossguard actually serves a function.

Of course, if we walk it back a step, the whole idea of a lightbroadsword is a dumb one. The main advantage to a heavy blade like that is so that you can cleave through armor with the extra mass of the weapon. You give up maneuverability in exchange for power, in other words. Except with light weapons, there is no mass and there's no need to cleave hard through armor. Your weapon cuts through anything already!

That's not what "broadswords" (Which is a pretty vague term to begin with) were for at all. When people started wearing heavier plate armor, swords got skiinier so you could stab through gaps in the armor, which eventually led to rapiers. Crossguards would make sense for lightsabers, especially with the fighting styles seen in the Original Trilogy, which I believe were based on renaissance-era longsword (IE bastard sword) styles. You could make them out of cortosis alloy or something though, to avoid the silliness of multiple lightsaber blades, not to mention the possibiity of cutting yuor own fingers off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hazo posted:

Was that in a novel or something? In the game he just used two lightsabers.

You can sort of pick it out when he trades a couple of blows with Qu Rahn in the opening cutscene, but in the gameplay it's all two separate lightsabres.

(I've never actully been able to get past Gorc and Pic myself. :shobon:)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A crossguard might make sense to protect the wielder's fingers from a locked blade running down yours, but it looks in that picture like the emitters for the crossguard blades are still vulnerable to sabers unless they're made of bullshitosis ore or something.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So I've been out of the loop with Star Wars novels over the past two years.

What's been really good? I have a couple long plane trips that could use a good book!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Insane Totoro posted:

What's been really good? I have a couple long plane trips that could use a good book!

Fate of the jedi and legacy of the force series are good, but nothing has really been released except for the Star Wars Rebels tie in book which is decent.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Insane Totoro posted:

Kenobi is a pretty good low-key read, more of a Clint Eastwood western than a pew-pew space battle.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

wargames posted:

Fate of the jedi and legacy of the force series are good, but nothing has really been released except for the Star Wars Rebels tie in book which is decent.
That's mean. DON'T DO IT.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just read Plagueis. It's one of the best Star Wars books I've read in years.

And then when you're done, post your thoughts on Sheev.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

wargames posted:

Don't listen to him/her. Those two are terrible. Try Plagueis or any of Luceno's books. A New Dawn also isn't a bad read. It's very YA but a good start.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I was reading Star Wars when most of you were still in diapers. So I'm not falling for the "Legacy of the Force is good" schtick.

But was Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves any good? Or were they the Barbara Hambly amateur hour?

What about "Red Harvest?"

Alright for confirmed good books....?

-Kenobi
-Darth Plagueis
-Tarkin

James Luceno.... hmm maybe I'll buy vodka on the plane and read the Robotech novels!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are decent enough, not particularly great but not terrible either. One book that you should read if you haven't yet is Scoundrels.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

astr0man posted:

Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are decent enough, not particularly great but not terrible either. One book that you should read if you haven't yet is Scoundrels.

Scoundrels is good if you like a good heist story. For me, it was confusing to keep up with all the different characters and no one seemed to have good characterization and I really had to force myself to get through it about 4 chapters in. I tend to like character-centric stories though, so ymmv.

Zahn did nail the dialogue for Han and Lando though. I could hear them in Ford and Williams's voices when I was reading those parts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Insane Totoro posted:

James Luceno.... hmm maybe I'll buy vodka on the plane and read the Robotech novels!

I enjoy reading Luceno's page on Wookieepedia more than I probably should.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

astr0man posted:

Airport fiction. Got it.

PERFECT :)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kenobi was the best of what was released last yearish. The other two are perfectly alright though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I still haven't gotten around to reading Kenobi yet, but Scoundrels and Plageuis were both really enjoyable, and I agree that Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves are decent enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I finally got around to getting X-Wing and TIE Fighter from GOG. I very quickly discovered two things.

1) My old joystick, which I dug out of the parts closet for its first use in probably ten years, has gotten all kinds of jumpy and horrible and simply can't be calibrated right anymore. I think I need a new one.

2) ALL of my old habits and instincts are still there. I started one of the training missions in an X-Wing, and before I even realized I was doing it, I had shunted the stored laser power to the shields, set my recharge rates, and targeted the nearest enemy fighter. I haven't played this game since the 90s. If you'd asked me beforehand what keys to hit to do all these things, I might or might not have been able to tell you. But I didn't need to think about it, it just... happened. My brain scares me sometimes.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!
Alright, we have an official name for Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's making me worry for some reason that there's going to be Mortis stuff in the movie.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So, you nerds reading Tarkin? Does it suck, or what?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wikipedia Brown posted:

So, you nerds reading Tarkin? Does it suck, or what?
I'm not far into it but it's good so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh poo poo, it's out?? drat...I'm slipping. Back in middle and high school I had an excel spreadsheet for all the upcoming EU releases.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jivjov posted:

Oh poo poo, it's out?? drat...I'm slipping. Back in middle and high school I had an excel spreadsheet for all the upcoming EU releases.

Back in middle/high school I just religiously read TheForce.net and was kept informed that way.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Outside of Troopers, I don't think there was anything of worth that came out of TheForce.net

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Don't we have a goon who was a mod there? Remember when the owner made them all give him their personal information? Lol that was crazy. Almost 10 years ago now :corsair:

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Drone posted:

Back in middle/high school I just religiously read TheForce.net and was kept informed that way.

Same here. I still go there occasionally to read the book reviews. It was pretty cool back in the day when authors had accounts and would just chat with people. The internet seemed a lot smaller back then.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They still do, at least sometimes; I lurked there around the time Kenobi came out and sure enough, John Jackson Miller was occasionally posting in the Lit thread, responding to critiques and general thoughts. Dunno if Luceno's doing the same for Tarkin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when starwars.com had a message board; Karen Traviss had a Q&A thread (this was around the time the first Republic Commando novel was out and everyone still liked her).

It was the first online message board I'd ever joined (circa 2002, so I was around 11 and lying about my age) and one big thing I remember was this one plonker who never seemed to post in the sections that were actually relevant to Star Wars, because all his contributions were these 10,000 word screeds about "crypto-Islam" and the rampant "heterophobia" encouraged by Hollywood, and how science as an abstract concept existed to marginalise and destroy white Christian males.

Come to think of it, in retrospect, the starwars.com message board's "off-topic" subforum was pretty strongly right-wing, actually. That being said, still not the worst Star Wars themed forum I've heard about.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

They still do, at least sometimes; I lurked there around the time Kenobi came out and sure enough, John Jackson Miller was occasionally posting in the Lit thread, responding to critiques and general thoughts. Dunno if Luceno's doing the same for Tarkin.

Oh, that's pretty cool then. JJ Miller seems pretty nice and interacts with people on his facebook page pretty often. He has the most down to Earth fb out of all the Star Wars authors that I've followed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember when starwars.com had a message board; Karen Traviss had a Q&A thread (this was around the time the first Republic Commando novel was out and everyone still liked her).

It was the first online message board I'd ever joined (circa 2002, so I was around 11 and lying about my age) and one big thing I remember was this one plonker who never seemed to post in the sections that were actually relevant to Star Wars, because all his contributions were these 10,000 word screeds about "crypto-Islam" and the rampant "heterophobia" encouraged by Hollywood, and how science as an abstract concept existed to marginalise and destroy white Christian males.

Come to think of it, in retrospect, the starwars.com message board's "off-topic" subforum was pretty strongly right-wing, actually. That being said, still not the worst Star Wars themed forum I've heard about.

I remember around 2005 on TheForce.Net there was a guy called Quiet Mandalorian who kept talking about how great fascism was or how the Inquisition was actually a great idea that saved civilization and there needed to be a return to Catholic theocracy as a cure for the social problems of the West.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I remember Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek had a lot of posts.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don't we have a goon who was a mod there? Remember when the owner made them all give him their personal information? Lol that was crazy. Almost 10 years ago now :corsair:

I used to mod there. Don't blame me, I was a lot younger and stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember around 2005 on TheForce.Net there was a guy called Quiet Mandalorian who kept talking about how great fascism was or how the Inquisition was actually a great idea that saved civilization and there needed to be a return to Catholic theocracy as a cure for the social problems of the West.

I believe the guy I was describing used the screen name "Darth Grandiloquous" but they could very well be the same person.