Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
The way things are right now, korra doesnt seem strong enough to deal with the situation not even with help of the airbenders. Varik and Bolin are definitely the wildcard that can turn the tide, but i think there is need of a new strong ally in the struggle with Kuvira. Hence (fingers crossed), time to introduce .... firelord Zuko :D . plplzplzzplz let the firenation aid in the avatars cause. It would be awesomely epic to have firenation troops march into Ba Sing Se once more.

Also, great episode. Last time i complained of an utter lack of frames and terrible fight scenes. THis episode had normal frames again and some solid fight scenes. I also like the thing where korra isn't quite over her fears yet.

A note about the series in general. One thing I've always wondered about:

When people are fighting 1 on 1 and are bending the elements. The stronger benders shoot massive rock/airwaves/waterbeams/fireballs at eachother. Wouldnt it make sense for the true masters to concentrate all that energy in a way smaller point. Making it way harder to just deflect the shot and making hits way more impactfull. In this episode korra vs kuvira kind of displayed that. No overly massive bending, just appropriate size for a 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PaulDirac posted:

Hence (fingers crossed), time to introduce .... firelord Zuko :D . plplzplzzplz let the firenation aid in the avatars cause. It would be awesomely epic to have firenation troops march into Ba Sing Se once more.
Oh sure, have Japan invade China again. Nice try... Hitler.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Jesus that fight was hard to watch. Korra is the worst avatar.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Junior is such an asswipe.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dry Hump posted:

Jesus that fight was hard to watch. Korra is the worst avatar.

The assumption is that she is still suffering from PTSD, and thus isn't anywhere near the level who has spent the last several years winning and no doubt training to be unstoppable. Frankly I'm just looking forward to the complete and utter asskicking Kuvira is going to receive once Korra finally gets her poo poo in order.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Oh man Korra is jobbing to Kuvira. Wheres's the rapadoo when you need it?

Edit: So far this season's is so inconsistent. I'm not buying into the heelturns and the central conflict.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 7, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So now that Zaofu is Kuvira's, Baatar jr can be safely back stabbed when he screws up,right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
So Korra's overcome her physical hindrance, now she just has to heal mentally. I'm glad they didn't make that poison removal a complete 100% recovery for Korra.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You're crushing my individuality! :smithmouth:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I get the feeling that Kuvira is going to invade the Fire Nation or something as a way to bring the story of both AtLA and Korra to parallel ends. Just a gut feeling now that Kuvira has the entire Earth Kingdom under her rule.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Flat Banana posted:

I agree with you, in addition to the point that if Kuvira's moral cause for reuniting the Earth Kingdom was to prevent the instability and chaos from being disunity, then Zaofu already has a stable political leadership. In addition to that, Zaofu doesn't threaten Kuvira's rule. We already know reliably that Suyin wants nothing to do with the Earth Kingdom so Zaofu will never pose a threat to them. Kuvira is expending a lot of military resources to conquer Zaofu, which in turn could leave them in weakness with maintaining unity, as well as against the threat of Fire Nation/Republic City/Northern Water Tribe attack.

youre forgetting that 1) the portals are open and 2) the swamp tribe is right next door to zaofu

also im really sad we arent getting a fifth book that focuses on issues within the fire nation, but i would understand if they are effectively modern germany at this point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Have to say, they did a supurb job with Varrick this episode. I'm normally not that interested in the guy, but I have to say that his rant about the timer and the detonator was priceless

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So Korra's overcome her physical hindrance, now she just has to heal mentally. I'm glad they didn't make that poison removal a complete 100% recovery for Korra.

Yeah like real life PTSD. I am very impressed with this show. I am NOT impressed with Korra's fighting up to the Avatar state. She was basically just hurling elements at her. She should be a more creative fighter than that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Caros posted:

Have to say, they did a supurb job with Varrick this episode. I'm normally not that interested in the guy, but I have to say that his rant about the timer and the detonator was priceless

Varrick was amazing this episode. It was the first time since as far back as Season 2 that I felt they properly had him walk the genius/crazy line and got across that he's both smart as hell and off his rocker. And yeah that timer/detonator bit was great.

So Baatar Jr has got one hell of an inferiority complex going on. First his parents, and now he's all pissy with Varrick because he got called on not being at Varrick's level when it comes to science. I wonder how long before he starts to feel inadequate in comparison to Kuvira, too?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Today was the first day I cared about Varrick. good on him for destroying the superweapon.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

hiddenriverninja posted:

Today was the first day I cared about Varrick. good on him for destroying the superweapon.

Varrick was always great, even back in shaky season 2.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

I get the feeling that Kuvira is going to invade the Fire Nation or something as a way to bring the story of both AtLA and Korra to parallel ends. Just a gut feeling now that Kuvira has the entire Earth Kingdom under her rule.

She's definitely got something big planned for those spirit vine bombs. I'm guessing she wants to take back Republic City rather than the Fire Nation, though. It's built on what was formerly Earth Kingdom land.

Republic City = New York. Kuvira with her talk of redistributing the wealth = Soviet Union. She even has a nuke, and possibly so will Republic City.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

They made the Avatar state too powerful and now they're paying the price, using this stupid PTSD poo poo to make an enemy that should be completely clowned a "threat." It's really annoying that Korra didn't even get one hit on Kuvira without relying on her magic superstate, which she then immediately fell out of because "messy hair triggers bad memories."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad they gave Kuvira a stated reason to want to take Zaofu beyond simple imperialism. I mean, she's obviously wrong and at least .25 Hitlers, but it's still nice that they had her give a logical justification.

I also love that the entire time Varrick was building the timer it didn't occur to him that they could just drag him off, and when he realized that he immediately just built a detonator completely improvised, all while thinking "huh, I guess I don't really need the timer anymore, oh well :)"

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 7, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sydin posted:

So Baatar Jr has got one hell of an inferiority complex going on. First his parents, and now he's all pissy with Varrick because he got called on not being at Varrick's level when it comes to science. I wonder how long before he starts to feel inadequate in comparison to Kuvira, too?

I don't think Kuvira is remotely interested in Baatar Jr. It's just a political alignment for her. She will dump him if she needs to:

Prediction: Zhu Li starts working for Baatar, who is a dick to her, he drops that Varrick killed himself over Zhu Li leaving him, Zhu Li realizes what she lost and reunites with Varrick.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Jaramin posted:

They made the Avatar state too powerful and now they're paying the price, using this stupid PTSD poo poo to make an enemy that should be completely clowned a "threat." It's really annoying that Korra didn't even get one hit on Kuvira without relying on her magic superstate, which she then immediately fell out of because "messy hair triggers bad memories."

Korra can be fought in the Avatar state. Aang was almost killed by Azula. Or if Kuvira really wanted to get rid of Korra, all she needed to do was get the jump on her like the Red Lotus did, or I don't know, shoot her with her metal darts. Plus her having a nuclear bomb soon is gonna make Korra's fighting abilities somewhat irrelevant.

Final episode:
Korra: "Hey Kuvira, I got my act together, I'm gonna kick your rear end!"
Kuvira: "I have a weapon capable of destroying cities instantaneously and I will activate it if you fight me. And I can make more of them."
Korra: "oh poo poo"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"I just want you to know, I hate you" is the most I've ever liked Bolin.

I really wish we could have gotten a scene between Tarrlok and Varrick.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm glad they gave Kuvira a stated reason to want to take Zaofu beyond simple imperialism. I mean, she's obviously wrong and at least .25 Hitlers, but it's still nice that they had her give a logical justification.

I also love that the entire time Varrick was building the timer it didn't occur to him that they could just drag him off, and when he realized that he immediately just built a detonator completely improvised, all while thinking "huh, I guess I don't really need the timer anymore, oh well :)"

She's more Stalin than Hitler.

dj_clawson posted:

I don't think Kuvira is remotely interested in Baatar Jr. It's just a political alignment for her. She will dump him if she needs to:

Prediction: Zhu Li starts working for Baatar, who is a dick to her, he drops that Varrick killed Varricked himself over Zhu Li leaving Zhy Liing him, Zhu Li realizes what she lost and reunites with Varrick.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Ah, if only the members of the Manhattan Project were such loveable scamps. Only Richard Feinman was.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Zhu Li is an EK name, right?

And who has both the financial connections and the knowledge of spirit bombs to stranglehold the world?

Who is a cold, heartless war machine?

Zhu Li 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Varrick is amazing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jaramin posted:

The whole point of that combat was to show that despite getting the metal out of herself, Korra simply is not ready to jump back into the world. You see the exact same thing in the previous episode in her conversations with Kuvira, she has absolutely no confidence in herself at the moment. It wasn't so much bravado that has her eschewing the avatar state for the first chunk of her battle, but fear that she'll either Kill Kuvira, freak out like she did, or possibly even die during it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Caros posted:

The whole point of that combat was to show that despite getting the metal out of herself, Korra simply is not ready to jump back into the world. You see the exact same thing in the previous episode in her conversations with Kuvira, she has absolutely no confidence in herself at the moment. It wasn't so much bravado that has her eschewing the avatar state for the first chunk of her battle, but fear that she'll either Kill Kuvira, freak out like she did, or possibly even die during it.

Part of it was experience. She didn't want to fight because she didn't want Zaofu and Kuvira's army to go to war. She put herself out there as the Avatar to make peace, but neither side was listening to each other. That's why she had to pull a Roku on Kuvira, which almost worked. Using fighting as a last resort shows a wise Korra than we've ever seen.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I really would have liked to see Korra try to make something out of Kuvira saying "this is about equality" by coming back with at least a somewhat decent counterpoint, like "what's "equal" about using military force to make an independent city-state share its resources?" instead of letting Opal go (completely understandably given that her family is being held hostage) "No gently caress you this is about power." Oh well, I've long accepted that I'm never going to get everything I want from this show. It makes up for it by giving me things I never knew I wanted, like Varrick making the transition from completely amoral to actually caring about the difference between right and wrong. I was so sure that that would have ruined the character, but no, the fact that he's still so utterly loveable despite having grown a conscience is wonderful.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

dj_clawson posted:

Ah, if only the members of the Manhattan Project were such loveable scamps. Only Richard Feinman was.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Varrick!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really would have liked to see Korra try to make something out of Kuvira saying "this is about equality" by coming back with at least a somewhat decent counterpoint, like "what's "equal" about using military force to make an independent city-state share its resources?" instead of letting Opal go (completely understandably given that her family is being held hostage) "No gently caress you this is about power." Oh well, I've long accepted that I'm never going to get everything I want from this show. It makes up for it by giving me things I never knew I wanted, like Varrick making the transition from completely amoral to actually caring about the difference between right and wrong. I was so sure that that would have ruined the character, but no, the fact that he's still so utterly loveable despite having grown a conscience is wonderful.

I love how "Equality" is a dirty word in the Avatar universe.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
So since Varrick destroyed all of their spirit vine samples Kuvira now has her plot motivation to invade the United Republic. Then she will do it all under the guise of reunification, like the Germans. I figure we are going to see the Fire Nation, that is probably where Korra and company will fall back to when the UR is attacked and overwhelmed. Balance still has one more defeat before the avatar rallies, which is why I think they will fall back. I doubt the Bryke would pass on a chance to show us an updated Fire nation before they go. They are just making fans' mouths water for it first.

It would be pretty funny if the Fire Nation is invading the Earth Empire territory in the name of Balance as the big wrap up final act to Korra.

Though my first thought was, she's been in a wheelchair for most of the 3 year time jump maybe she will do a montage 2 episode, "How Korra Got Her Groove Back" with her training in each nation. But honestly, the attack on the UR stuff makes more sense. Republic City will be the capital of the Earth Republic after having been folded back into the Earth Territories. (my super crazy theory just so if it somehow happens I can say I said it)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaramin posted:

Well yeah. In the original series Aang wasn't a fully realized avatar for 99.9% of the series, so you could build up a fully realized avatar as an unstoppable force that Aang eventually becomes. Even then, they had to contrive a reason for Aang to not be able to use the Avatar state until the climax, because it was built up as being too powerful to job to some shmuck firebender.

Korra on the other hand has been fully realized since the end of season one, so the writers have to come up with convoluted reasons why the most powerful bender on the planet is in danger. In season three for example, Korra never has a straight up fight with the villains. She's always drugged, or poisoned, or tied up, because if she wasn't she'd loving destroy even the super bender red lotus guys. The fight with Kuvira is actually the first straight up 1v1 with no limiting factors Korra has had with a primary antagonist since season one.

The whole PTSD angle, while certainly interesting, is the exact same thing as Aang having his chackras locked or whatever. It's a story telling device to limit Korra's power to keep the primary antagonist relevant until the climax.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dj_clawson posted:

I love how "Equality" is a dirty word in the Avatar universe.
Like it's not a dirty word in real life too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Zhu Li is the hero the show does not deserve.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Was it just me or was Kuvira going to "take out" Korra with sharpened metal blades before Opal/Jinora intervened?

P.S. Jinora saved Korra's life. Again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sixteen year timeskip!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh god. I knew it was coming, but that was still hard to watch. Please stop losing, Korra, I can't take this anymore :smith:

On the other hand, Kuvira's fighting style is slick as hell. It's surprisingly low-key for this show - just a little disruption here and there and, oh, flying razor-sharp manacles. And she's probably the most confident AND smuggest villain to date. Can't wait to see more.

...Korra's gotta win at some point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ETB posted:

Was it just me or was Kuvira going to "take out" Korra with sharpened metal blades before Opal/Jinora intervened?

P.S. Jinora saved Korra's life. Again.

That's one of the closest times, aside from showing Tarlokk fighting, that they've shown just how balls crazy lethal bending could be if this wasn't a kid show.

I mean, it looked like she was about to behead Korra before the airbenders stepped in.

• Locked thread