Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

That's the way the next Audi V8 will be done when everyone else is using hydraulic or solenoid actuated valves. Each valve's camshaft will have a sensor that can leak coolant or oil into the wiring harness as well as a brazed steel tube assembly for high pressure oil and a control module that manages the valve that runs the cam that runs the valve.

There will be 32 timing chains and 16 balance shafts. On the back of the engine.

32 timing chains attached to the valve at one end, which pass through the block into the crankcase and are grabbed by a claw attached to the crankshaft, like a movie camera's film advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

guys stop giving them ideas

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Falken posted:

Here's a turboed 3.0L 944 race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mm3w5OvywI

another video partially ruined by lovely music

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

atomicthumbs posted:

32 timing chains attached to the valve at one end, which pass through the block into the crankcase and are grabbed by a claw attached to the crankshaft, like a movie camera's film advance.

Vorsprung durch Technik

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Midniter posted:

guys stop giving them ideas

Cylinder 3's #2 exhaust chain will have a tendancy to get sucked into the oil pump, but only above 3500 RPM and during left turns.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You laugh, Jack Baruth at TTAC wrote a thing about attending the launch for the new 1.8T Passat. The new 1.8T's turbo has the exhaust manifold that is cast with the head as one piece, i.e. no exhaust manifold gasket. This helps the engine reach operating temp faster for emissions purposes.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/2013-volkswagen-intramural-league-fourth-place-passat-1-8tsi-sel/

quote:

Routing the white-hot exhaust gases around in the head reduces the time until the catalytic converter becomes effective, it saves weight (with 88 pounds in total engine weight reduction being the figure quoted at the press event) and it improves thermal efficiency. My initial thought was “and it sounds like a great way to make sure every waterpump failure ends with a warped head” so I had a conversation with the chief engineer after the presentation was over. It went approximately like this:

Jack: “What happens if the waterpump fails? Isn’t there a chance of warping the head?

Engineer: “The waterpump? Failing?”

Jack: “Yes, happened to both my ’90 Fox and my ’06 Phaeton.”

Engineer: “There is a valve. It will be fine.”

The part that isn't mentioned is that the new engine also has a water pump and thermostat that are both electrically driver/controlled. So you can rest easy, VW being well known as a supplier of reliable waterpumps, thermostats, and eletronics.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. Wrong thread dude, wrong thread.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh. Well, here's a thing

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Throatwarbler posted:

The part that isn't mentioned is that the new engine also has a water pump and thermostat that are both electrically driver/controlled. So you can rest easy, VW being well known as a supplier of reliable waterpumps, thermostats, and eletronics.

jesus loving christ :gonk:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Some (all?) of the Ford Ecoboost engines have integrated exhausts too:

I haven't heard anything awful about those yet and it allows for some incredible packaging and turbo performance.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new GM turbo engines are also like that. It might be one of those things where each individual feature isn't a big deal on its own but when you combine several of them, you get unexpected results.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I haven't heard anything awful about those yet and it allows for some incredible packaging and turbo performance.

I really think this thing will be cool to drop into an E30 or whatever when prices come down.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

yeah but that appears to have a real water pump on it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'm angry at myself for liking this. Toyota Prius with a Liberty Walk body kit.

I think it looks kinda badass, especially with the white-lettered tires.

I appreciate what Liberty Walk does..their work is *just* bad enough to piss off snobby people.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Falken posted:

Here's a turboed 3.0L 944 race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mm3w5OvywI

Proving yet again that every car looks good in Martini livery. And that every video is worse with 'Sail'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

This also means only 3-4 exhaust studs to break off, strip threads out of the head, etc instead of 10-12. Much less bullshit to helicoil.

I'll take it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

angryhampster posted:

I'm angry at myself for liking this. Toyota Prius with a Liberty Walk body kit.

I think it looks kinda badass, especially with the white-lettered tires.

I appreciate what Liberty Walk does..their work is *just* bad enough to piss off snobby people.

Are those rear wheels really that much smaller than the fronts, or is it an optical illusion? I can't not see the back wheels as tiny casters.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

You laugh, Jack Baruth at TTAC wrote a thing about attending the launch for the new 1.8T Passat. The new 1.8T's turbo has the exhaust manifold that is cast with the head as one piece, i.e. no exhaust manifold gasket. This helps the engine reach operating temp faster for emissions purposes.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/2013-volkswagen-intramural-league-fourth-place-passat-1-8tsi-sel/

:stare:

Automotive Insanity › Post terrible car stuff in this thread - “There is a valve. It will be fine.”

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Are those rear wheels really that much smaller than the fronts, or is it an optical illusion? I can't not see the back wheels as tiny casters.

Probably just a wide angle lens making the front appear larger.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm still waiting for Ford to make a 60-degree, 2.0 twin turbo V6 out of the 1.0 Ecoboost. :colbert:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Q_res posted:

I'm still waiting for Ford to make a 60-degree, 2.0 twin turbo V6 out of the 1.0 Ecoboost. :colbert:
Theoretical output would be very close to the 2.0L Ecoboost four. :crossarms:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Kenshin posted:

:stare:

Automotive Insanity › Post terrible car stuff in this thread - “There is a valve. It will be fine.”

Exactly why i feel the old joke of "Volkswagen engineers get out of german car school and get rejection letters from audi, porsche, BMW, mercedes and opel" has merit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Q_res posted:

Why do that when you could do a 2.0L inline six?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Why do that when you can have a 5.0L inline six?

Why do that when you can have a 6.5L - 9.8L V12?

Falconer Engines

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 8, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

AirRaid posted:

angryhampster posted:

Probably just a wide angle lens making the front appear larger.

Also the rear tires are really tucked into the fender.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Stuffing Falconer engines in things should be an Olympic sport

Hot Rod article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3V-sS3Bl6U

The mechanics behind the exhaust cutouts are my favorite part of that car. So simple, yet so gorgeous.

e- Look at this poo poo, who needs electronic dump switches?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 8, 2014

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
The best falconer v12 use

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Left Ventricle posted:

Theoretical output would be very close to the 2.0L Ecoboost four. :crossarms:

Listen, I just want them to produce a ridiculously tiny, twin-turbo V6. Stop over-thinking it...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You are all doing this wrong, the real answer is to make a 3 cylinder, 2.0L, direct injection twin turbo 6 piston 2 stroke opposed piston engine with no valves, no head gaskets, and the same efficiency and emissions as a modern 4 stroke, then boost it to the loving moon because you have no head gaskets or valves to worry about.

And it would probably still fit under the hood, too. Or in an appropriately sized briefcaselunchbox.

E: yes I am still on about the junkers jumo 205, here it is

This was built back when german engineers kicked rear end, I mean, JUST LOOK AT THE THING, it is simpler than any other way they could have done it, while being completely abnormal as an engine architecture, and yet it is awesome. They even ran all the accessories and injection pumps off the slave crank, which sucks up 50% of its output, halving the strength required in the crank timing gears. Imagine what you could do with that if you put variable timing on the cranks to dynamically change compression as needed.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 8, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

You are all doing this wrong, the real answer is to make a 3 cylinder, 2.0L, direct injection twin turbo 6 piston 2 stroke opposed piston engine with no valves, no head gaskets, and the same efficiency and emissions as a modern 4 stroke, then boost it to the loving moon because you have no head gaskets or valves to worry about.

And it would probably still fit under the hood, too. Or in an appropriately sized briefcaselunchbox.

This was built back when german engineers kicked rear end, I mean, JUST LOOK AT THE THING, it is simpler than any other way they could have done it, while being completely abnormal as an engine architecture, and yet it is awesome. They even ran all the accessories and injection pumps off the slave crank, which sucks up 50% of its output, halving the strength required in the crank timing gears. Imagine what you could do with that if you put variable timing on the cranks to dynamically change compression as needed.

And I'll make "Twin Crank" decals in 80's font.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

been done with a smaller package already http://www.araoengineering.com/lsx.htm

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

otaku69 posted:

been done with a smaller package already http://www.araoengineering.com/lsx.htm

Except that those are not quad cam.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kastein posted:

Only two crankshafts? :cmon:

The Napier Deltic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, I would also accept a 9 cylinder 6.0L ford ecoboost deltic :haw:

... a diesel one would make a hell of a replacement for the 6.0h-no, too.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

DoLittle posted:

Except that those are not quad cam.

like i said done with a smaller package.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

boxen posted:

Only two crankshafts? :cmon:

The Napier Deltic.

I love that gif, not only because the Deltic is a crazy engine, but mostly because it's wrong. One of the cylinder banks (the lower left) is flipped upside down.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ken Block ushered in a new trend in promotional videos, and I'm ok with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxTvMaJBT3c

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Who else likes single owner unrestored cars out for a weekend drive :staredog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does he take his shoes off before driving it or something? I can't see how that carpet can possibly come into contact with the real world and stay clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

Does he take his shoes off before driving it or something? I can't see how that carpet can possibly come into contact with the real world and stay clean.

Im pretty sure that was just soft fluffy fabric over the original carpet but i hadnt acrually managed to see far enough past my erection to notice