Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

I know the Toys R Us amiibo deal is online only, but can you do in-store pickup? I am gonna need to smash day one.

I thought it was in-store too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Rirse posted:

I thought it was in-store too?

It is in store too, I just saw they have little slips with the promotion on it. They were near the electronics checkout at the one by me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Long John Power posted:

Also anyone want one of these to hold all their amiibos?

This better not be a Club Nintendo thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why dies anyone need a special bag for their Amiibos?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I assume the answer is "children." My little sister has a special case for her Littlest Petshop stuff.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Long John Power posted:

Also anyone want one of these to hold all their amiibos?

If this were insulated it would make a great lunch box. Especially if you really liked mushrooms.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 7, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

axleblaze posted:

For bringing them to your friends house.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

axleblaze posted:

For share and tell.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
e: double post

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm thinking about taking advantage of Target's buy 2 get 1 sale but I can't make up my mind. I have 3D World, MK8, Pikmin 3, NSMBU, and DKTF. I'm thinking about picking up Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2 (this is a 2 for 1 for me since I've never played a Bayo game), Wonderful 101, Fantasy Life, and Kirby's Triple Deluxe, but I'm only up for getting three from the sale. Right now I'm leaning mostly toward HW, Bayo 2, and Fantasy Life.

I'd feel like I'm pissing away money by buying two games for $60 each and getting a $40 game free. Should I be considering any other Wii U titles? For what's it's worth I like most video game genres so please fire away any suggestions!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

enojy posted:

I though Rising was a little too silly, but Metal Gear is routinely ridiculous, so ultimately I didn't give a poo poo.

There is a very nice interview with Kojima where he talks about one of the things he really wanted that was cut from Metal Gear Solid...2(?). As you approached a certain door in a level you would get the rising violin from Psycho, climaxing as you opened the door to reveal one of the enemy soldiers practicing his violin.

It was apparently cut for time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It better be. I need something to use all these coins on!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/06/nintendo-discusses-cheaper-amiibo-figures-trading-cards/

joystiq posted:

Future iterations of Nintendo's Amiibo figure line will include cards, the company revealed during last week's investor Q&A. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and longtime designer and producer Shigeru Miyamoto discussed the company's near-field communications initiatives, Miyamoto stressing that Amiibo "can take forms other than figures." Miyamoto offered Amiibo-style cards as an example, hypothesizing a game that would require players to pass "several cards over the NFC reader/writer" in the Wii U Game Pad.

"I cannot discuss any of the details today, but Amiibo has the potential to propose new ways to play card games," Miyamoto said. The designer also brought up Animal Crossing as an example of a brand that could receive Amiibo compatibility in the future. Miyamoto noted that Nintendo plans on launching "smaller and even more affordable Amiibo figures in the future."

The first set of Amiibo figures, available for pre-order now, will launch on November 21 alongside Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. All of the initial Amiibo figures will be compatible with Hyrule Warriors, and Nintendo just confirmed that Amiibo support will arrive in Mario Kart 8 soon.

Holy crap, whoever made the joke about using Amiibo and the ecard reader might not be far off from the truth.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

No sir, that wouldn't make for a good Pokemon tie-in at all!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fix posted:

No sir, that wouldn't make for a good Pokemon tie-in at all!

Do they still make Pokemon cards?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Fremry posted:

Do they still make Pokemon cards?

Yeah, it is still pretty popular too.

e: What they need to do is a make a modern digital version of the CCG and design it so you can scan in the cards using NFC to build a deck that you can take online.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I just finished setting this thing up (man the update takes a while) and it's pretty snazzy but I was poking around the menus and the store for a good while and the disc (Wonderful 101, it's pretty cool) was spinning non-stop. If that's by design it's kinda weird.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah, I saw it on amazon when I was looking at Smash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What they need to do is a make a modern digital version of the CCG and design it so you can scan in the cards using NFC to build a deck that you can take online.

This already exists but you just type in a code to get cards in the digital version.

Here's a link: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

An iPad version just came out a few weeks ago too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 7, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

SeANMcBAY posted:

This already exists but you just type in a code to get cards in the digital version.

Oh, interesting. I obviously was not aware, I haven't played the CCG since uh, I think 2000 or 2001.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I just finished setting this thing up (man the update takes a while) and it's pretty snazzy but I was poking around the menus and the store for a good while and the disc (Wonderful 101, it's pretty cool) was spinning non-stop. If that's by design it's kinda weird.

I think they keep it spinning but not reading so it can load faster when you do load it, so it doesn't have to spin up. But it seems to not do this if the disc wasn't in the last couple of apps you used.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

greatn posted:

I think they keep it spinning but not reading so it can load faster when you do load it, so it doesn't have to spin up. But it seems to not do this if the disc wasn't in the last couple of apps you used.

Yeah, but a spin-up takes 2-3 seconds tops. I spent a good 10 minutes in the store. Every disc based system I've owned has spun the disc down after a minute or so so it's weird coming to this but whatever.

Also Wonderful 101 kicks rear end holy poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah, but a spin-up takes 2-3 seconds tops. I spent a good 10 minutes in the store. Every disc based system I've owned has spun the disc down after a minute or so so it's weird coming to this but whatever.

Also Wonderful 101 kicks rear end holy poo poo.

Ah, the store doesn't count as an app, it can be run when anything else is running. If you were in like a VC game it something it probably would have stopped.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fremry posted:

Sounds good. I won't be back there until Monday, so I'll PM you if I can snag a copy.

Hey, thanks for the offer but on a shot in the dark I managed to track down a copy at a local store, hidden in a crate in the back somewhere. $45. Not too shabby.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fix posted:

Hey, thanks for the offer but on a shot in the dark I managed to track down a copy at a local store, hidden in a crate in the back somewhere. $45. Not too shabby.

Very nice. I'll still probably grab one for myself.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

greatn posted:

You're friends with Diddy?

At the end of the day he's a pretty decent guy. The alcohol thing was exaggerated by the press.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm thinking about taking advantage of Target's buy 2 get 1 sale but I can't make up my mind. I have 3D World, MK8, Pikmin 3, NSMBU, and DKTF. I'm thinking about picking up Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 2 (this is a 2 for 1 for me since I've never played a Bayo game), Wonderful 101, Fantasy Life, and Kirby's Triple Deluxe, but I'm only up for getting three from the sale. Right now I'm leaning mostly toward HW, Bayo 2, and Fantasy Life.

I'd feel like I'm pissing away money by buying two games for $60 each and getting a $40 game free. Should I be considering any other Wii U titles? For what's it's worth I like most video game genres so please fire away any suggestions!

Hyrule Warriors and Bayo 2 are both excellent action games, and I cannot say enough good things about them. If you're going for new $60 titles, you made the smart choice going for them.

Likewise, Wonderful 101 is amazing. However, typically you can find it from $20-$30, so although you should definitely get it, it might not be the best bang for your buck in this deal. The same goes for ZombiU, which is one of the best zombie games I've played, but can be found for around $20.

If you liked NSMBU and DKTF, I've heard very good things about Rayman Legends. Haven't played it myself, but a number of people in the thread have posted about it being great. Similarly, Lego City Undercover is apparently a cross between a family-friendly Grand Theft Auto and a collectation like Banjo Kazooie - although I never thought I'd pick up a Lego game, enough people have said great things about it in this thread that it seems worthwhile to check out sometime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TaurusOxford posted:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there's some Metal Gear spurgs out there who were genuinely pissed off that Metal Gears are now jobbers in the MG Universe.

I know a guy in real life who legit hated MGR for 'not being a proper MGS game' and 'ruining the series'.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Here's what amiibos do for mario kart 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il8euWk32BU

Hint: It's hats.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I like the Amiibo item box and I think it's a neat idea for a bag.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Here's what amiibos do for mario kart 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il8euWk32BU

Hint: It's hats.

Old news, dude. We already talked about that on Wednesday.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sakurazuka posted:

I know a guy in real life who legit hated MGR for 'not being a proper MGS game' and 'ruining the series'.

But it's not an MGS game, it's MGR.

Did he practically kill himself when Metal Gear Acid came out?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Did he practically kill himself when Metal Gear Acid came out?

I was about to ask the same thing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

Hyrule Warriors and Bayo 2 are both excellent action games, and I cannot say enough good things about them. If you're going for new $60 titles, you made the smart choice going for them.

Likewise, Wonderful 101 is amazing. However, typically you can find it from $20-$30, so although you should definitely get it, it might not be the best bang for your buck in this deal. The same goes for ZombiU, which is one of the best zombie games I've played, but can be found for around $20.

If you liked NSMBU and DKTF, I've heard very good things about Rayman Legends. Haven't played it myself, but a number of people in the thread have posted about it being great. Similarly, Lego City Undercover is apparently a cross between a family-friendly Grand Theft Auto and a collectation like Banjo Kazooie - although I never thought I'd pick up a Lego game, enough people have said great things about it in this thread that it seems worthwhile to check out sometime.

I'm not too into GTA or collectathon games so I'm passing on Lego City Undercover. And what you said about W101 and ZU are my feelings exactly. I really can't come up with another full price game I want. I suppose I could see if it works for pre-orders and get Smash from Target. Otherwise I'll probably opt for Fantasy Life.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just watched the the trailer for fantasy life and it looks pretty cool. Too bad its only on ds.

They never seem to bring over games like that to the main console.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The only thing more shameful than not having a Wii U in this Year of Luigi 2014, is not having a 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

davey4283 posted:

I just watched the the trailer for fantasy life and it looks pretty cool. Too bad its only on ds.

They never seem to bring over games like that to the main console.

It could be argued that the 3DS is the main console.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Setting up my new Wii U. In order to link my existing Nintendo ID I have to download the system update, but in order to get the system update I need to finish the setup process. So I'm stuck with creating a dummy account/Mii just to download the update. Cool! Edit: And it'll take 35 minutes to download! Nice

acksplode fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 8, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

acksplode posted:

Setting up my new Wii U. In order to link my existing Nintendo ID I have to download the system update, but in order to get the system update I need to finish the setup process. So I'm stuck with creating a dummy account/Mii just to download the update. Cool! Edit: And it'll take 35 minutes to download! Nice

Yeah. You can link your ID whenever you want though. That first update is a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So, anyone checked out those Pikmin HD Short Movies? You get 3 of them for $4.99 in the eShop for the Wii U. Imagine if Nintendo tried to make a Pixar CG movie but did it using Pikmin.

I didn't hear any official announcement for it; I went to the eShop and it was featured.

edit: For the Mario Kart Wii U Amiibos and the hats they unlock, do you think you just have to touch an Amiibo to the GamePad and it is unlocked on that save file for life, or will you have to touch the Amiibo every time you want said hat?

Basically, could a bunch of friends get together and use each other's Amiibos to make unlocks happen?

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 8, 2014

• Locked thread