Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Monstro's Lung and Chocolate Milk carried me to my first successful Sheol run. I got some tears up upgrades which speed up the charge rate on the shot. Think I got only one damage upgrade but this was enough to one shot every boss. Even managed to get to the boss rush before hitting the Womb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dizz posted:

Is part of the Challenge not having a health bar?

One of the floor curses hides your health bar.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

President Ark posted:

Maze is the dumbest curse, it doesn't actually do much of anything but having to run through the same room thrice because you end up where you started from is the worst.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kanfy posted:

Maze is the dumbest curse, it doesn't actually do much of anything but having to run through the same room thrice because you end up where you started from is the worst.

Imagine a combo of Maze and the old Curse of Darkness. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Suicide King turned out ok, got carried by Guppy's Head for a good while and ultimately found Brimstone in a devil room.

Goddamn if there's a Cathedral Iron Man achievement, though, because I just took one single hit just before delivering the final blow on Isaac.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man, after a win streak of 5, I'm down with a lose streak of -11.

If I see another range upgrade, cursed eye, or magnet, I'm going to scream.

Cursed eye has broken so many of my runs now and I keep.picking.it.up. :saddowns:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Bee posted:

Imagine a combo of Maze and the old Curse of Darkness. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

You can get the old Curse of Darkness effect with Amnesia pills.

Also, :gonk: what is wrong with you

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I sure hope they paid Lena Dunham for the boss-cameo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Wow, I wanted to say it's a great game and I'm liking it, it really lived up to expectations, except for the bugs. Sometimes my heath bar disappears and occasionally the game screws up and puts me 2 rooms over when walking between screens, anyone else having this problem? Ubuntu x64...

President Ark posted:

Kanfy posted:

Oh. Oh I see.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 7, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

President Ark posted:

You can get the old Curse of Darkness effect with Amnesia pills.

Also, :gonk: what is wrong with you

:getin:

Nothing is wrong and everything is terrible.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Wugga posted:

Suicide King turned out ok, got carried by Guppy's Head for a good while and ultimately found Brimstone in a devil room.

Goddamn if there's a Cathedral Iron Man achievement, though, because I just took one single hit just before delivering the final blow on Isaac.

There's one for chest/dark room but no cathedral that I could see

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Wow, I wanted to say it's a great game and I'm liking it, it really lived up to expectations, except for the bugs. Sometimes my heath bar disappears and occasionally the game screws up and puts me 2 rooms over when walking between screens, anyone else having this problem? Ubuntu x64...
Those are both intended curse effects, yeah they do suck.

Although Maze just made me accidentally fight the final boss when I was trying to mess around with an arcade so I guess it saved me time!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I never got to the end of Sheol and finally managed to reach it with the completely overpowered Azazel + Dark Bum combo. I never fought Satan before. I didn't make it even with 12 lives :suicide:

e: some really nasty stuff in Sheol for a newbie like me :ohdear:

death screen:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 7, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Oh. Oh I see.

First time all the items were ?s instead of their icons I thought I ran into some resource loading bug and restarted the game before realizing that those were some well drawn question marks..

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

President Ark posted:

If you have sufficiently high Sin or Faith, a portal to the final floors will appear after Mom's Heart. If you manage to get a random devil/god room (or force one to appear with the goat head/joker card/a red chest teleport) after Mom's Heart is dead they will also have the portal.

If you don't like RNG, both portals will appear consistently after you trigger It Lives! on your 10th heart kill.

Cheers, no idea what Sin or Faith are. I have picked up "Faith/Sin up" items but had no idea what the gently caress they did.

Had a beastly run on Azazel, got the item that lets you move shots around with the arrow keys, which on Azazel meant I had a giant circle of remote-control whirling death that would murder things while I stood away in safety :v:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Today I learned not to pick up Laser Tear when you're playing as Azazel. It completely nerfs him, he goes from death machine to wimpy little laser eyes. :sigh:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The Bee posted:

I don't remember what it's called but I'm pretty sure I have gotten the curse that turns your map into a question mark.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Lets Pickle posted:

I don't remember what it's called but I'm pretty sure I have gotten the curse that turns your map into a question mark.

It's Curse of the Lost now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

President Ark posted:

If you have sufficiently high Sin or Faith, a portal to the final floors will appear after Mom's Heart. If you manage to get a random devil/god room (or force one to appear with the goat head/joker card/a red chest teleport) after Mom's Heart is dead they will also have the portal.

If you don't like RNG, both portals will appear consistently after you trigger It Lives! on your 10th heart kill.

You can also force a trap door to Sheol if you use We Need To Go Deeper (the shovel) while on Womb 2. However, this won't give you a Mom's Heart kill unless you use it after you kill her (or at least, it didn't count for me).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do you guys approach Lazarus? I'm tempted to just impale him on a sacrifice or curse room asap because he's so drat useless on the first life.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Whoever made the challenges forgot the crucial ingredient: fun. I don't mind hard, hard is good, but there is nothing fun whatsoever spending minutes whittling tiny enemies down with farts or orbiting flies. I've only tried a handful of challenges so maybe I just picked the wrong ones, but they've all involved some lovely low damage gimmick. It's dumb.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Ghost Head posted:

Whoever made the challenges forgot the crucial ingredient: fun. I don't mind hard, hard is good, but there is nothing fun whatsoever spending minutes whittling tiny enemies down with farts or orbiting flies. I've only tried a handful of challenges so maybe I just picked the wrong ones, but they've all involved some lovely low damage gimmick. It's dumb.

The "no tears" challenge where you start with 99 bombs is pretty easy with a little luck. Bomb your way out of rooms that'll take you more than one bomb to clear, don't take any risks or explore - it's not too hard to reach Mom with enough bombs in stock to seal the deal.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ghost Head posted:

The Purist is the worst because you don't even start with any items are there no treasure rooms.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ghost Head posted:

Whenever you're frustrated, just give Slow Roll a spin. It's cathartic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dis astranagant posted:

How do you guys approach Lazarus? I'm tempted to just impale him on a sacrifice or curse room asap because he's so drat useless on the first life.

The only Lazarus run I've done ended with shielded anti-gravity orbiting tears of death, I didn't even know he did anything different after he died. :ohdear:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

The Purist is the worst because you don't even start with any items are there no treasure rooms.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think The Purist would be easier now because there are more opportunities to get items. Upgrade your shop before the challenge so you have more item choices there, for example. If you get a Goat's Head and get Devil Deals all the time, you have a much easier time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Whenever you're frustrated, just give Slow Roll a spin. It's cathartic.

Or Computer Savvy, Tech1+2 and spoon bender. :getin:

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Does soy milk lock your damage at 1? Because I've picked up a couple of damage-up items since then and I seem just as weak as before.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

The only Lazarus run I've done ended with shielded anti-gravity orbiting tears of death, I didn't even know he did anything different after he died. :ohdear:

Likewise, my first Lazarus run, he lost his first life trading killing blows with Satan. I was happy enough he didn't get kicked back a screen when he respawned.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What does the other contract item do? The one with the text that says "Wealth, but at what cost..."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

What does the other contract item do? The one with the text that says "Wealth, but at what cost..."

Nobody knows for sure yet, but the currently accepted speculation is that it increases your item drop chance but also increases the chance of finding bosses in normal rooms/double-wide boss rooms.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

haveblue posted:

Spawns 2 of anything that drops on clearing a room, but with a chance to have you fight 2 bosses at the end of the floor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Crosspeice posted:

Uggggggh, the one thing I dislike about this game is due to its RNG nature, you can end up with a really boring, dull run where you get no familiars, no big damage items, no orbitals and just bang your head against the wall until you run out of health pickups. Pretty Fly is by far the best endgame item because it makes the tough bosses at the end not a damage race. Because if it is, they will win.
Not if you get good at dodging their patterns. It's not like isaac/??? attack primarily through highly unpredictable, RoF punishing revenge bullets anymore.
Not to say that orbitals aren't great, because they very much are.

Beasteh posted:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/dark-bum is a fairly accurate description of dark bum.
A+

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Humblest Bundle is the best shop item. It pays for itself so fast.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I beat the cathedral before ever going to hell thanks to the goat head.

Turns out if you turn down a devil deal before you get it-- you get holy rooms each boss instead. Needless to say Maggie was well-buffed.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
Haha, I had a pretty strong combo with Isaac (D6+Guppy+a few damage ups), saw a dice room and decided to roll with it. I ended up getting a first-hit invincibility, anti-gravity, bombs that explode into 8 tears, parasite, homing tears, and a whole bunch of other power ups. I beat every room by dropping 1-2 bombs and letting my tears wipe out the room. I one-shot mom's heart and blue baby with a single bomb. I was also immune to explosive damage, it was the most broken combo ever.

On a side note, I heard that you can drop trinkets but I don't know if that's true. Is there a keyboard command for that or was it just a rumor?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

IMJack posted:

Humblest Bundle is the best shop item. It pays for itself so fast.

Stacks with Contract from Below as well, 1 consumable becomes 4. Amazing combo.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

octobernight posted:

Haha, I had a pretty strong combo with Isaac (D6+Guppy+a few damage ups), saw a dice room and decided to roll with it. I ended up getting a first-hit invincibility, anti-gravity, bombs that explode into 8 tears, parasite, homing tears, and a whole bunch of other power ups. I beat every room by dropping 1-2 bombs and letting my tears wipe out the room. I one-shot mom's heart and blue baby with a single bomb. I was also immune to explosive damage, it was the most broken combo ever.

On a side note, I heard that you can drop trinkets but I don't know if that's true. Is there a keyboard command for that or was it just a rumor?

There is a "drop" button mapping in your control options. You need to hold that button for about a second.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Einwand posted:

So it turns out having a full 3 generic fly orbitals makes you completely immune to bullets due to the size change from the original.

Mom's Heart has a pattern that can break through. It's the super fast, directly aimed machine gun burst. It's fast enough to bust through the shield. I wonder if adding the upgrade that increases their size would still do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I thought I understood haematomesis pills [or however it's spelled], but i clearly don't, because it really hosed up my last run using one and not getting the kind of hearts I was expecting. How do they work?