Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I've been passively listening, so I may be missing some detail, but my sense is, at this point, (i) Jay and Adnan did it together or were more involved together than they are letting on and (ii) from a legal perspective there was reasonable doubt.

I'm still on the fence re: whether Adnan killed Hae, but this is how I feel—obviously I wasn't on the jury, but I'm seeing tons of reasonable doubt. They had a quote in the first episode from one of the jurors saying she was still confident in the decision they made, didn't they? I would love to hear more about what the jury was actually shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
As a former public radio producer, when I am not getting wrapped up in the very excellent story telling job Koenig is doing, all I can think is: Why didn't MY boss let me do something like this? I am so jealous of the ability to drop everything and work on one case for an entire year. I would've been crucified at the CBC if I'd asked for that kind of freedom.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
For how much This American Life/WBEZ relies on public funding, I'm surprised they don't offer a Serial subscription. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would have paid $10-20 for access to all 12 episodes. I'm excited to hear what the Innocence Project brings to the table in future installments.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's no way I'd pay a dime for Serial, they're much better off shilling for Audible or whatever.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

effervescible posted:

I'm still on the fence re: whether Adnan killed Hae, but this is how I feel—obviously I wasn't on the jury, but I'm seeing tons of reasonable doubt. They had a quote in the first episode from one of the jurors saying she was still confident in the decision they made, didn't they? I would love to hear more about what the jury was actually shown.

This most recent episode shows how complicated the thing has got, at least for me. Conflicting witnesses, timelines, faulty memories, many characters and names ... if the whole thing ends with a shrug and "see how complicated justice is?" I'll be disappointed but not surprised.

EDIT: having read an NPR blog or two, Koenig maintains she doesn't know where the story is going. Which I'm slightly suspicious of - what if in the second episode they'd discovered something that 100% pinpointed Adnan as the killer? Still, it seems like they are they're headed for an ambiguous end.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 7, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
When I first started listening, I was wondering why they had never contacted the Innocence Project before. Just seemed a bit odd, but this last episode was really compelling. I don't know what to think!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Started listening yesterday and caught up today. I've never listened to This American Life at all and this is so awesome. No complaints about it at all and absolutely can't wait to see where it goes next

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
My biggest gripe with Serial is the stupid girl in the MailChimp ad who doesn't know how to pronounce chimp. Chaimp? Really? I don't care if you're a kid, unless it's intentional, you're a loving moron if you can't pronounce chimp.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

My biggest gripe with Serial is the stupid girl in the MailChimp ad who doesn't know how to pronounce chimp. Chaimp? Really? I don't care if you're a kid, unless it's intentional, you're a loving moron if you can't pronounce chimp.

Or, y'know, she's Asian and not hugely familiar with the English language.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
mailkimp.com redirects to mailchimp.com

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, that's not it

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Yeah, that's not it

Maybe she's not Asian, but I feel pretty drat sure English isn't her first language.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

It's definitely a little girl that isn't a native english speaker, the advert is "more than 7 million businesses around the world use Mail Chimp", it's part of the idea of the ad, no need to overthink it.

[edit]I always took her voice to be hispanic

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Toaster Beef posted:

This made me imagine about a scenario where SK does an intense, emotional interview with members of Hae's family and then has to ask them to read some ad copy for a promo.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Hoops posted:

It's definitely a little girl that isn't a native english speaker,

One of the producers of This American Life confirmed it's a young, teenage girl. Nothing on ethnicity, but I think you're right in that English is not her native language.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I really enjoyed Mr. S

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Toaster Beef posted:

One of the producers of This American Life confirmed it's a young, teenage girl. Nothing on ethnicity, but I think you're right in that English is not her native language.

Ok, I didn't know the producers had actually discussed this girl, I'm guessing enough people had an issue with her pronunciation that the producers felt like they should mention it?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Ok, I didn't know the producers had actually discussed this girl, I'm guessing enough people had an issue with her pronunciation that the producers felt like they should mention it?

You should check out #mailkimp sometime, it's a real shitshow.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Bunk posted:

This made me imagine about a scenario where SK does an intense, emotional interview with members of Hae's family and then has to ask them to read some ad copy for a promo.

Aside from that, Mrs Kennedy, how did you enjoy the ride?

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out
Starting to look like my guess of Jay framing Adnan might be right after all. Possibly add in Jenn as a co-conspirator as well. This seems to be the theory that Rabia and Saad have.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
From what we know right now, Jay's motive is not super compelling? He would also have to be the luckiest dumb murderer around to hang this on Adnan and not have him come up with an alibi.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It also sounds needlessly complicated.

radlum
May 13, 2013

This bothers me too, but I get more annoyed at the last person, the one that mentions that she actually uses the service, as if they left that on the ad to prove that actual people use it.

Does anyone think there's a chance that Adnan's situation changes at the end of the podcast? The cynic in me tells me that nothing will change and it ends on a "but we'll never know the truth for sure"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just dislike ads that use overlapping copy reading. "Over one," "One million," "Dipshit," "Dipshit," "Dipshit," "Dipshit assholes use MailKaimp," "...Mail... Chimp??????," "MailKaimp," "To deliver," "To deliver," "To deliver unwanted spam to millions." "Millions," "Millions," "My... my lawns?" "Millions of email addresses."

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
You must love radiolab

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Lotta people weirdly ticked off about a thirty-second ad they could potentially skip itt

CherryDoom
Jul 5, 2005

SIGH

radlum posted:

Does anyone think there's a chance that Adnan's situation changes at the end of the podcast? The cynic in me tells me that nothing will change and it ends on a "but we'll never know the truth for sure"

Yeah, I kinda get this feeling too. I'm sort of hoping that some info about the way the story is being told is being kept from us so there will be some crazy reveal or reversal. But the way Koenig says she doesn't know how it will end, I can't really see anything incredible being uncovered.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

turevidar posted:

You must love radiolab

I really like Radiolab, but goddammit I hate the jingle.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

radlum posted:

SK told someone in an interview (Ira Glass I think?) that they're going somewhere with the podcast and it isn't going to end on "see how murky justice can be/who knows what really happened/etc"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

I really like Radiolab, but goddammit I hate the jingle.

The beginning of radio lab and the mailkimp ad both make me feel this weird hybrid of anxious and annoyed. I loving hate it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

nyuh-nyuh-nyuh-nyuh-nyuh-nyuh- Doubleyou Enn Why Cee. żSi? Cee.

:argh:

LFO
May 9, 2009
Anj NPR.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

its really not that bad

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Gio posted:

its really not that bad

It is if you're neurotic, and since this show is directed at upper class white people, you'd think they'd realize what a large portion of their demo is being driven to bits.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Hello, I'm Ira Glass. This week on This Ameriking Life"....

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I just caught up on all 7 episodes of Serial in the last day and a half and I wish I'd waited until it was finished. I have no idea how you people who've been on board since the beginning have been waiting a week between episodes without tearing your hair out. I need more now.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The first two episodes were up at the same time, so that helped a little.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
A new TAL episode and everbody talks about Serial. The story of the bus driver was on a previous episode of Useless Information
http://podbay.fm/show/272824755/e/1392080377?autostart=1. The UFO conversation was hillarious.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Serial is crazy popular, we should probably get the discussion in this thread split out, or start a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cbirdsong posted:

Serial is crazy popular, we should probably get the discussion in this thread split out, or start a new thread.

Serial is also ending its season in like 5 weeks, and it's not like this thread was incredibly fast before it came along.

• Locked thread