Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

Shadows of the damned is just so incredibly average in gameplay. Weird sense of humor and I like the art design but the entire game is just a 5 out of 10 and it feels like nothing new has come up since like the first 30 minutes.

I played it three times because I wanted a platinum (cause I'm a dummy) and the difficulty trophies don't stack. That's ridiculous on its own, but what really made it a pain was the fact that you couldn't skip any of the cutscenes. I just ended up playing on my DS when they were going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kazil posted:

La Mulana is annoying as poo poo because often the only way to advance is to break a random wall with your whip but the game teaches you early on that randomly hitting walls with your whip can lead to you getting zapped and then killed.

Also the entire game is designed with having a guide. Otherwise poo poo is impossible.

There actually is a logic to what you can and can't safely strike in La-Mulana. You're not supposed to whip things willy-nilly in rooms with the Eye of Retribution present, otherwise you're free to whip everything. There's definitely an early tablet that explains that.

On the other hand, there are puzzle rooms where you have to break something with an Eye present. In those cases, it usually tries to be fair in that what gets you zapped is either attempting to brute force something, or simply for making the wrong choice when solving a puzzle.

Some of the puzzles (and "puzzles") can still be a real doozy though. Most if not all of them do have a logical solution, but I can't deny that the game is sometimes too cryptic or abstract when giving clues or in the puzzle mechanics themselves (bend on one knee, the loving warp jar, and defeating the infinite drop in the Chamber of Birth all spring to mind).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Thanks to GoG, I've been re-playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

TIE Fighter is actually near perfect (it wold be better if, instead of the '94 and '98 versions, it also (or instead of the 1994 version,) had the '95 Collector's CD-ROM version, but that's an issue with GoG, not the game itself.)

Sure, there are a few tough missions, but most are actually fair once you figure out the right strategy.

But X-Wing? Man, it was great when it came out, but after you play TIE Fighter, it's hard to go back to X-Wing, even if you play the '98 version. In fact, I'll forgive just about everything in the '93 version, but there's no excuse for them not fixing some of these things for the '98 version.

For starters, you can't see your mission goals while in a mission. I could do this in TIE Fighter, why not X-Wing? I thought in the '98 versions, they both used the same engine from X-Wing vs TIE Fighter? So could it have been that hard to put in? In addition to not bein g able to quickly check on them, you don't even get a radio message telling you if you failed because a mission critical craft was destroyed.
Basically, you have to either look online, and have a GameFAQS page open, or start a mission, then immediately quit and look at the mission summary to see what the goals are.

Secondly, being a completionist, I want to finish every training mission, tour of duty, etc...but the basic pilot training is too drat hard! You have to do eight levels of this absurdly long track. Even if you fly it as fast as you can, it'll take about 4 minutes per pass. And odds are you'll fail at least once or twice, so basically you're doing an hour of just flying through this course over and over again, while some lasers take pot shots at you. The lasers get better and more numerous on later levels, on you get less time to do the course. In the slowest craft, the Y-Wing, you aren't fast enough to do the course without diverting all your shield energy to the engines. You then have to keep lasers at a slow recharge state, so you can shoot the turrets (it stops them from shooting you, but also each one gives you an extra 2 seconds to complete the course.) and divert extra laser energy to shields to at least give you some protection from said lasers.

But it's still crazy hard, especially since at some point, you'll take an errant shot from the lasers that will knock out some critical system, like your lasers, or your engines. And to top it off, for some reason, you can't see or repair system damage in the training course. In a regular mission you can, you hit 'D' and a screen pops up and tells what's damaged and you how long until it's repaired...but not on the training course. Hitting 'D' does nothing, and besides which, waiting for a repair means you'd run out of time anyway. So if your engines or flight controls go, you have no choice but to quit and start over.

There's other small things, too, like not being able to target small parts of a craft (like laser turrets on a capital ship,) or having to get MUCH closer to a craft to ID it than in TIE Fighter, etc...And again, since this is the revised '98 edition, it seems to me like they could have been fixed, but weren't.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How do X-Wing & TIE Fighter play without a joystick? I want to get them but haven't had a PC stick in years.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PJOmega posted:

How do X-Wing & TIE Fighter play without a joystick? I want to get them but haven't had a PC stick in years.

I'm curious about this as well... I played the hell out of the games back in the day, but I'm not sure how they've aged control-wise.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Speaking of La-Mulana and obtuse puzzles, the LP of it (which is almost complete) in the forum is actually a "here's how a player would actually solve the puzzles" run of it, to prove that it's possible to complete the game without a guide using only the hints present in the game. It still definitely assumes that you're keeping track of almost everything that looks even vaguely like a hint and screenshotting or otherwise saving it, though.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Well I complained about the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol earlier, now I'm playing the game on hard.

I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to be possible at all without just using the EMP grenades to instantly hack them. I don't have Matrix reflexes here goddammit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

Well I complained about the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol earlier, now I'm playing the game on hard.

I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to be possible at all without just using the EMP grenades to instantly hack them. I don't have Matrix reflexes here goddammit.
Don't play the game on Hard. It's not properly balanced, and there's a couple places where you can become permastuck.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Thoughtless posted:

If you've got all the skills you want, you can edit the XP table to give you negative skill points. The game scales enemies and minigames based on how many skill points you've gotten, though I can't remember if the skills you start with count for this making recruit actually the easiest class. Also I like how the lockpicking is the opposite of the hacking, completely trivial with mouse & keyboard horrible on controller. AP really needed an overhaul on the gameplay part.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheSpiritFox posted:

Exalt was worse. Twenty dudes on a tiny map vs your 4 plus an agent. Maps that are literally impossible to win (that aren't supposed to be impossible the way landed battleships and stuff are early on) that you don't even really get much for completing.

I haven't seen any impossible maps, just some rather.. Dumb ones.

Like one where it was a rooftop that was laid out like

Encoder/Covert Agent - 50 EXALT guys - My squad/Transmitter

bewilderment posted:

Speaking of La-Mulana and obtuse puzzles, the LP of it (which is almost complete) in the forum is actually a "here's how a player would actually solve the puzzles" run of it, to prove that it's possible to complete the game without a guide using only the hints present in the game. It still definitely assumes that you're keeping track of almost everything that looks even vaguely like a hint and screenshotting or otherwise saving it, though.

Which LP?

But I thought La-Mulana's whole thing was supposed to be obtuse, dumb difficulty.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 8, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Anatharon posted:

I haven't seen any impossible maps, just some rather.. Dumb ones.

Like one where it was a rooftop that was laid out like

Encoder/Covert Agent - 50 EXALT guys - My squad/Transmitter

The two hacking points on that map with the building surrounded by tanks on the sides, where your agent spawns in a shipping container is basically impossible if you don't sneak it in Longwar as of patch 13. I haven't updated it since then, but I ended up with 4 guys plus the agent against 13 exalt. I lost 2 people just sprinting to the extraction point because I didn't bring enough smoke grenades to lay a trail of the loving things all the way from the second transmitter to the skyranger.

The one on the top of the building in the construction zone is worse. I got that one on an exalt mission late game with the encoder/transmitter. The first goal was at the rear end end of the map with exalt spawned in it and the other one was on top of the building. There was literally no way to get to either without activating pretty much the entire map. There were 21 dudes. I just left my poor agent to die when I moved up into the first cover and activated 3 packs of exalt all at once, and then had 2 more patrol into the battle on the next turn.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

TheSpiritFox posted:

The two hacking points on that map with the building surrounded by tanks on the sides, where your agent spawns in a shipping container is basically impossible if you don't sneak it in Longwar as of patch 13. I haven't updated it since then, but I ended up with 4 guys plus the agent against 13 exalt. I lost 2 people just sprinting to the extraction point because I didn't bring enough smoke grenades to lay a trail of the loving things all the way from the second transmitter to the skyranger.

The one on the top of the building in the construction zone is worse. I got that one on an exalt mission late game with the encoder/transmitter. The first goal was at the rear end end of the map with exalt spawned in it and the other one was on top of the building. There was literally no way to get to either without activating pretty much the entire map. There were 21 dudes. I just left my poor agent to die when I moved up into the first cover and activated 3 packs of exalt all at once, and then had 2 more patrol into the battle on the next turn.

Besides all the usual problems of adding a slew of changes without properly vetting their interactions, it sounds like Long War just adds too many drat enemies.

I'm finishing up the last 7th Gen Assassin's Creed game, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, and while I've had a good time playing the series, I can't get over the fact that in every successive game, they still haven't been able to get rid of one glaring control issue - when you're trying to get away from something, your character gets attached to a perpendicular surface and continually runs up it. Eventually, you have whatever mob that's chasing you catch up or you have to run away from the surface and then continue on your merry way to escapement.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Nov 8, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

Besides all the usual problems of adding a slew of changes without properly vetting their interactions, it sounds like Long War just adds too many drat enemies.

Against aliens it's legit better than vanilla. Exalt is the main problem. It started messy and got tighter and tighter. Early game is easier than vanilla, mid game is alot harder, and end game is at least a fair bit more challenging than the original game's victory lap of Godhood.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna post far to many words about an MMO so feel free to skip past this post.

Recently Guild Wars 2 introduced its latest living story patch, a new zone and it continues the trend of making GBS threads on the ranger class.

See I'm that idiot that likes to play pet classes in MMO's, I enjoy going through the game with my menagerie of zoo animals, they even have amusing descriptions when you recruit some, like so:

For the most part the class has been plagued with problems, bad pet A.I, pets with low HP getting downed to fast, bad damage, they had good support abilities at least, a few these things have been rectified, pets where given far more health, ranger damage was increased along with some of their attacks being changed to be more effective, the problem mainly lies in what is supposed our class gimmick, the pet, despite the health change, AOE's still rip them to shreds, one of the world bosses drops poison pools that do like 1,600 a tic, pets go down almost instantly unless you keep it near you, problem is ranger's damage is capped to a point because the DPS is shared between you and the pet, so a ranger with a downed pet has gimped DPS, for a game that's basically a DPS race most of the time, this can be an issue.

This new story introduced a variety of new enemies that basically poo poo out AoE's and conditions like its going of style, believe me when I say you'll be spending 90% of fights with a downed pet and its just an annoying trend, the worst example of this was an optional boss introduced in a sort of coliseum style event, this boss rendered most class gimmicks useless, not just rangers, its like they test this poo poo with just the heavy classes, if at all.

And quite frankly the new zone is just boring, there's not much to see and all you do is simply wait at one of locations you need to defend for endlessly repeating events for yet another currency in a game already bloated with various kinds of currency, and once you finish a bunch of these events the map needs to kill 5 bosses around the map in 5 minutes, most fail because Anet expects 80+ random people to organize, this is on top of the fact that several of the bosses have gimmicks to damage them which aren't clear at all which is yet another design trend Anet has done lately, they don't wanna do raids but they have no problem introducing bosses or events that require mass organization.

Its a fun game, I have far to many hours in it but a lot of the design choices have just put me off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Alteisen posted:

See I'm that idiot that likes to play pet classes in MMO's, I enjoy going through the game with my menagerie of zoo animals, they even have amusing descriptions when you recruit some, like so:

Yep, there's your problem. Pet classes are loving hard, apparently. You can't just have them, they need special care to work out. If you don't given them that, they'll either end up way too strong, or (more likely) really bad.

City of Heroes had the mother of all pet classes. gently caress all you pet classes that are basically just a DPS/support class with a single pet, Masterminds trade in all their direct influence on a fight for having six pets, making them basically a whole team unto themselves. Masterminds were loving awesome.

But the problem was that the game really wasn't designed for them; they were a hack job coding-wise from the outset. The longer the game went, and the more they added to the game, the more tenuous the house of cards that was Masterminds got. The AI started breaking, the devs couldn't really fix anything about them without breaking something else, and making powersets for Masterminds became more intensive than creating powersets for any other class.

In the meantime, we had new content coming out, and since the Masterminds played so radically different from the rest of the game they got hosed pretty badly; AoE stuffgot pretty heavy in the later years of the game, so their pets died by the dozen. Things got really bad when they released the post-levelling 'Incarnate' content. First, the buffs that the early Incarnate powers worked from didn't actually get applied to pets, so while every other class got sizeable buffs Masterminds got little to nothing, and became more of a liability for the team than an asset. THEN, when the multi-team content came out, it used a 'participation' algorithm that judged how useful you were to the team and rewarded you accordingly. It turned out to be keyed off of quantity of powers used, and didn't count anything pets did; since some Masterminds were all pet, they got treated like leechers.

So, yeah. Pet classes suck to play as if the devs aren't trying their utmost to make them work.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Gonna post far to many words about an MMO so feel free to skip past this post.

Recently Guild Wars 2 introduced its latest living story patch, a new zone and it continues the trend of making GBS threads on the ranger class.

For the most part the class has been plagued with problems, bad pet A.I, pets with low HP getting downed to fast, bad damage, they had good support abilities at least, a few these things have been rectified, pets where given far more health, ranger damage was increased along with some of their attacks being changed to be more effective, the problem mainly lies in what is supposed our class gimmick, the pet, despite the health change, AOE's still rip them to shreds, one of the world bosses drops poison pools that do like 1,600 a tic, pets go down almost instantly unless you keep it near you, problem is ranger's damage is capped to a point because the DPS is shared between you and the pet, so a ranger with a downed pet has gimped DPS, for a game that's basically a DPS race most of the time, this can be an issue.

This new story introduced a variety of new enemies that basically poo poo out AoE's and conditions like its going of style, believe me when I say you'll be spending 90% of fights with a downed pet and its just an annoying trend, the worst example of this was an optional boss introduced in a sort of coliseum style event, this boss rendered most class gimmicks useless, not just rangers, its like they test this poo poo with just the heavy classes, if at all.

And quite frankly the new zone is just boring, there's not much to see and all you do is simply wait at one of locations you need to defend for endlessly repeating events for yet another currency in a game already bloated with various kinds of currency, and once you finish a bunch of these events the map needs to kill 5 bosses around the map in 5 minutes, most fail because Anet expects 80+ random people to organize, this is on top of the fact that several of the bosses have gimmicks to damage them which aren't clear at all which is yet another design trend Anet has done lately, they don't wanna do raids but they have no problem introducing bosses or events that require mass organization.

Its a fun game, I have far to many hours in it but a lot of the design choices have just put me off.

City of Heroes was the closest any MMO ever came to getting pets right and Masterminds were still pretty much useless in Task Forces and any form of raid encounter. At least Warlocks in WoW were fun for a while back in TBC. I miss Felguard PVP rage.

Cleretic posted:

Yep, there's your problem. Pet classes are loving hard, apparently. You can't just have them, they need special care to work out. If you don't given them that, they'll either end up way too strong, or (more likely) really bad.

City of Heroes had the mother of all pet classes. gently caress all you pet classes that are basically just a DPS/support class with a single pet, Masterminds trade in all their direct influence on a fight for having six pets, making them basically a whole team unto themselves. Masterminds were loving awesome.

But the problem was that the game really wasn't designed for them; they were a hack job coding-wise from the outset. The longer the game went, and the more they added to the game, the more tenuous the house of cards that was Masterminds got. The AI started breaking, the devs couldn't really fix anything about them without breaking something else, and making powersets for Masterminds became more intensive than creating powersets for any other class.

In the meantime, we had new content coming out, and since the Masterminds played so radically different from the rest of the game they got hosed pretty badly; AoE stuffgot pretty heavy in the later years of the game, so their pets died by the dozen. Things got really bad when they released the post-levelling 'Incarnate' content. First, the buffs that the early Incarnate powers worked from didn't actually get applied to pets, so while every other class got sizeable buffs Masterminds got little to nothing, and became more of a liability for the team than an asset. THEN, when the multi-team content came out, it used a 'participation' algorithm that judged how useful you were to the team and rewarded you accordingly. It turned out to be keyed off of quantity of powers used, and didn't count anything pets did; since some Masterminds were all pet, they got treated like leechers.

So, yeah. Pet classes suck to play as if the devs aren't trying their utmost to make them work.

Well, gently caress. I stopped playing CoH before Going Rogue got released and well before Incarnate came out, I had no idea that they shafted my favorite RPG class ever even harder =/

Not to imply they could help it, it just sucks because drat a Bots mastermind was a blast. Back when they first released city of villains I got like 9k signatures from active players on a petition to program in cosmetic customization for Masterminds to let us give our minions some color and flair. I wanted pink ninjas and robots with mohawks so bad.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm finishing up the last 7th Gen Assassin's Creed game, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, and while I've had a good time playing the series, I can't get over the fact that in every successive game, they still haven't been able to get rid of one glaring control issue - when you're trying to get away from something, your character gets attached to a perpendicular surface and continually runs up it. Eventually, you have whatever mob that's chasing you catch up or you have to run away from the surface and then continue on your merry way to escapement.

I haven't played enough of the games after 2, Bro, and Revelations; but in those, if you ran up a surface, you could hold left or right, and jump off in that direction. In my experience it evaded almost any followers. I know they changed a lot in the later games. Bummer if you can't do that any more.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The problem is that if you come to close to a wall, while,saying trying to do something simple like run down the street you tend to run up the wall, even if you cant climb up it, youll do that sorta halfassed scramble up the wall. ANd then fall down, and probably get assaulted by guards,or youll just continue to fail at climb the wall, because the "simple" and "intuitive" controls suck balls for any kind complex interaction, like not running up a wall.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, that is annoying on its own. What I was saying is demonstrated in this video, right where I have it started. It's Ezio running straight up a wall where there's nothing to grab - like he might by accident in the street. If you're doing that, you can hold sideways and jump that direction, usually evading pursuers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afse_x3muYg&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

Again, though, if they've removed this since Ezio's games, that does suck.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The problem with AC wall stickiness is that if you're running down the street getting chased, all the civilians are in the god drat way. If you bust through them, you slow down and those speedy fuckers tackle you. If you go around them, you hit a wall and just start climbing. As far as I've been able to tell, the jump off if you accidentally start up a wall is 100% gone. You're on that fucker and you're either going to spend a couple seconds getting off it, or you're going to climb up and get shot at while doing it.

The AC games also need to back up in history and stay the hell out of North America. The early games were good because of the density of buildings and interesting architecture. North America doesn't have that unless you want to start doing late 20th century stuff, and AC4 pretty explicitly says in game that they won't do anything with cars in it. There's plenty of history to mine that doesn't involve a boring jerkoff wandering around a forest and boring brick buildings, or a boring jerkoff wandering around boring wooden huts in the tropics.

They can keep the sleep and berserk darts, though. Those were good.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Wherein a bunch of quitters attempt to find reconciliation with their inability to beat a really good sword guy game.

Just kidding, this is an ironic post.

(it's also a true post though)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

At least Warlocks in WoW were fun for a while back in TBC. I miss Felguard PVP rage.

The pre-TBC patch was the loving best, lvl 60 Felguards would run around in BGs soloing players all on their own. :haw:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It says explicitly there will be no Assassin's Creed: Tokyo Drift?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This truly is the tragedy of our age.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Pet classes in a game that isn't all about pets are a nightmare to balance. If you keep them dead in line with other classes DPS-wise they've got a healthy amount of their DPS tied up in a fraction of their HP. While the Warrior can be at 10% health and function at full capacity a Hunter who has lost their pet (30% of their HP) loses a huge amount of DPS. If you keep their full DPS higher than the line it feels unbalanced unless things specifically make the pet a liability, therefore making their DPS encounter dependent.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Rick_Hunter posted:

Have any of the ACs actually improved the overall gameplay after 2? It seems like they keep tweaking and simplifying functions in ways that make the games more unwieldy and boring while ignoring the series' real problems, which mostly revolve around the combat being piss easy, clunky poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Whatev posted:

Have any of the ACs actually improved the overall gameplay after 2? It seems like they keep tweaking and simplifying functions in ways that make the games more unwieldy and boring while ignoring the series' real problems, which mostly revolve around the combat being piss easy, clunky poo poo.

The Ezio games after 2 "improved" the gameplay by tacking on a fighting system similar to the Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Origins games, which only made the combat even easier. Aside from that it's been mostly cosmetic poo poo or tacked-on gimmicks like Black Flag's naval combat.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

In Rainbow Moon you eventually get the option to skip your own battle animations but you never get the option of skipping enemy animations or speeding up their turns in any way which is annoying given the game's habit of throwing huge crowds of enemies at you. You can pause during enemy turns but, bizarrely, the option to back to the menu screen is greyed out so if you realise you're screwed you have no option but to play the battle out. Also, when the return to menu option does work you don't need it for any reason.

Another annoyance is the lack off item stacking for materials. You get 255 slots but these run out very quickly in the post-game. There's no reason not to have this as it doesn't affect game balance.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

The pre-TBC patch was the loving best, lvl 60 Felguards would run around in BGs soloing players all on their own. :haw:

I had a macro that would on first press target the farthest hostile thing in range and send the felguard to attack it, and on second press switch targets to the closest player and make the felguard charge stun back onto them.

Felguard stunning rogues in the middle of their cheap shot and then fearing them off into the world only to drain their souls generated more hatemail than anything else I ever managed to accomplish, including organized infernal/doomguard releases in friendly lowbie areas.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PJOmega posted:

Pet classes in a game that isn't all about pets are a nightmare to balance. If you keep them dead in line with other classes DPS-wise they've got a healthy amount of their DPS tied up in a fraction of their HP. While the Warrior can be at 10% health and function at full capacity a Hunter who has lost their pet (30% of their HP) loses a huge amount of DPS. If you keep their full DPS higher than the line it feels unbalanced unless things specifically make the pet a liability, therefore making their DPS encounter dependent.

It feels like all this could be avoided by making pets invincible or share a pool of health with the player while making sure that they wouldn't take additional damage from AoEs

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Whatev posted:

The real problem with the AC games is that they are wildly successful and nerds think that Ubisoft is going to magically start catering to them at the cost of all the casual fans.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

The problem is that if you come to close to a wall, while,saying trying to do something simple like run down the street you tend to run up the wall, even if you cant climb up it, youll do that sorta halfassed scramble up the wall. ANd then fall down, and probably get assaulted by guards,or youll just continue to fail at climb the wall, because the "simple" and "intuitive" controls suck balls for any kind complex interaction, like not running up a wall.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The frustration is the hope that the game will understand that you don't want to keep climbing up a wall with no hand holds, so you keep pushing forward on the stick but the game thinks, "OH, A WALL IS NEARBY! I KNOW WHAT HE WANTS TO DO!" If you do jump, it's usually going to force you into a civie or another hand hold when you never wanted to go up and away in the first place. God forbid it's on the first level of a 3 story building because then you have the lengthy choices of climbing and potentially getting knocked off your climb or dropping down and taking a small delay to get back to running.

Whatev posted:

Every game after AC2 added something to the combat toolbox but gameplay hasn't changed greatly. They do add new features like in AC3 where they added wilderness free running, but sometimes it's not intuitive because you can see potential hand holds on a square building but trees can be hit or miss. Free running in trees really boils down to set paths that are indicated by downed trees or stumps with steps.

If you play an Assassin's Creed game and stick to the main story, the game stays innovative enough to be satisfying. If you try to go through all content before the end of the game, it's repetitive and can get dull. I do like how they moved the assassinations from detective clues in 1 to part of the story in 2 where you had to find out the best way to assassinate 'Giovanni MacGuffin'.

Alteisen posted:

:words: about MMO pets

I've heard that Hunters in WoW got raked over the coals pretty hard for the newest expansion, but I think one of the best things that they did around TBC was to make pets nearly immune to PVE AoE damage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Who What Now posted:

It feels like all this could be avoided by making pets invincible or share a pool of health with the player while making sure that they wouldn't take additional damage from AoEs

The former is how I'd do it 99% of the time. The latter is difficult because then you've got players having to control two characters anytime environmental positioning is a factor or risk going down. Because no matter how good pet AI is it is still an AI.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

The AoE thing would probably work best for GW2, that's pretty much the biggest thing that consistently kills pets after the HP buff, well that and high burst damage.

They already shut off the pet buffs for PvP stuff so it wouldn't unbalance the game either.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheSpiritFox posted:

Exalt was worse. Twenty dudes on a tiny map vs your 4 plus an agent. Maps that are literally impossible to win (that aren't supposed to be impossible the way landed battleships and stuff are early on) that you don't even really get much for completing.

I actually stopped playing that mod because of EXALT. They are just super frustrating to fight against. They get the same equipment and abilities you do while having 3 to 4 times your number, often with much higher HP.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

kazil posted:

The real problem with the AC games is that they are wildly successful and nerds think that Ubisoft is going to magically start catering to them at the cost of all the casual fans.
Aw, don't be like that. The two big control changes were going "gently caress it" to fixing the overly counter centric combat with kill streaks, and removing the run/sprint distinction so you can't help but accidentally jizz parkour all over the walls when trying to escape enemies.

The AC games are sorta frustrating because they are consistently bogged down with crap that's been there since the first game while the devs blow time tweaking poo poo that didn't need tweaking.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Alteisen posted:

The AoE thing would probably work best for GW2, that's pretty much the biggest thing that consistently kills pets after the HP buff, well that and high burst damage.

They already shut off the pet buffs for PvP stuff so it wouldn't unbalance the game either.

High burst damage if negligible if you give the hunter a way to avoid that damage such as recalling a pet or using evasion. What is it about PVP pet buffs that would make them so unbalanced in GW2?

I appreciate Blizzard's constant tweaking of WoW in that the majority of their balancing genuinely balances the game so that classes stay unique but that certain classes are not complete hard counters to each other. I just don't understand why other MMOs consistently fail in balancing their classes when there are dozens of examples of how you can make something like this work.

Mind you this isn't me saying 'WoW is the best, all other MMOs are poo poo'. I'm just going from my general knowledge of playing the game for 5 years.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Nov 9, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

High burst damage if negligible if you give the hunter a way to avoid that damage such as recalling a pet or using evasion. What is it about PVP pet buffs that would make them so unbalanced in GW2?

I appreciate Blizzard's constant tweaking of WoW in that the majority of their balancing genuinely balances the game so that classes stay unique but that certain classes are not complete hard counters to each other. I just don't understand why other MMOs consistently fail in balancing their classes when there are dozens of examples of how you can make something like this work.

Mind you this isn't me saying 'WoW is the best, all other MMOs are poo poo'. I'm just going from my general knowledge of playing the game for 5 years.

They got 75% more HP in PvE stuff so a pet in PvP with that kind of HP would be mad tanky, especially when you trait for conditions to transfer to the pet instead so you could have a super tanky pet just taking condis off you and leaving the ranger to stay in the fight for a long time.

And yea, I always wondered why they didn't do that, maybe when the ranger dodges the pet does so as well or at least gains the invul frames the ranger does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Whatev posted:

Aw, don't be like that. The two big control changes were going "gently caress it" to fixing the overly counter centric combat with kill streaks.

I really don't get why they decided to try to fix "there's too many instant kills!" with another easy way to rack up instant kills. Making counters a normal attack with bonuses to damage for weapons like the knife/hidden blade and keeping the instant kills on perfectly executed combos would keep things way more interesting. Especially as they added more tools like the guns and smoke bombs and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I actually stopped playing that mod because of EXALT. They are just super frustrating to fight against. They get the same equipment and abilities you do while having 3 to 4 times your number, often with much higher HP.

I went in and modified all the exalt to have 1 HP and otherwise left them alone, and exalt missions become hilarious because a dude with a rocket launcher left unchecked can gently caress your squad up but at the same time anyone with ITZ can mop up the entire goddamn map if positioned right and cover is blown to hell.