Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's not so much legal as it is copyrightholders choosing not to prosecute.

Just like Japan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've known a few people who got C&Ds. It's usually if you get too big. They usually don't prosecute, though, they tell you to stop. Then if you continue, they prosecute.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's not so much legal as it is copyrightholders choosing not to prosecute. All you have to do is draw enough attention to get slapped with a C&D letter, like the dude who drew Little League getting shut down after he got in trouble for sending dick pics to women.

I know I wouldn't want to be associated with a creepy pervert if I had a company.

And by the way, isn't C&D issued because if the owner doesn't protect their rights it's possible to lose them in court, at least if you can prove that they didn't give a poo poo about their property in various instances. I think I remember reading something about how they usually let free fan work slide and go after money making stuff because it's way easier to argue about intelectual property abandon if they let other parties profit from their IPs. (That or I'm confusing this with something else)

Explosive Tampons has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Nov 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No, C&D is issued because they really really do want you to stop doing whatever it is you're doing. It takes a lot of time and instances for a media property to get to the point of losing protection due to genericization, it probably hasn't ever happened.

A big rear end company is probably never going to lose a case where they are accused of engaging in abandonment and thus their IP is free to use by others wholesale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
12 Days of Santa Crying

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's not so much legal as it is copyrightholders choosing not to prosecute. All you have to do is draw enough attention to get slapped with a C&D letter, like the dude who drew Little League getting shut down after he got in trouble for sending dick pics to women.

He's still making his comic so I'm not sure that C&D ever properly materialized

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I wasn't sure if I should have posted this but there you go. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaibio/open-qpcr-dna-diagnostics-for-everyone?DISRUPTING-IS-THE-NEW-BUZZWORD-DIDNT-YOU-GET-THE-MEMO

Excerpts which prompted me to post this here:

"Open qPCR is disrupting DNA diagnostics."
"However with machines costing $20,000 and up, Real-Time PCR (also known as qPCR) is simply unaffordable where it is needed most. We aim to change that with Open qPCR, a system available at a fraction of their typical cost."
-a 50.000 USD kickstarter.

It really raises a couple of flags but I'll let people more knowledgeable with that kind of stuff to chime in.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this but there you go. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaibio/open-qpcr-dna-diagnostics-for-everyone?DISRUPTING-IS-THE-NEW-BUZZWORD-DIDNT-YOU-GET-THE-MEMO

"However with machines costing $20,000 and up, Real-Time PCR (also known as qPCR) is simply unaffordable where it is needed most. We aim to change that with Open qPCR, a system available at a fraction of their typical cost."

It really raises a couple of flags but I'll let people more knowledgeable with that kind of stuff to chime in.
Being someone who's used this stuff in the lab, I would definitely look up reviews their previous project before dropping the cash. Especially when there are so many used machines floating around.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Waffleman_ posted:

Either way, this thing's probably gonna get taken down by WB in a week.

And you would be right! I just checked it again and the project was taken down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

This is why you never sell your fanfiction! You got cocky, kid! You reached for the stars and fell down to Earth in a blaze of legal paperwork.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

:toot:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Just getting their custom enclosure machined in any kind of serious quantity would be significantly more than 50k.

Their fancy rear end 800x480 capacitive touch display alone is prohibitively expensive for that money. Figure its around $10 per display at an order quantity of 1000 (which would be a pretty killer deal), that's 20% of their target for only 1000 units. And that's just the screen.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Plus it's 16 wells, you can't do much with 16 wells.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno how much it had raised when first posted a couple of pages back, but that Cat Ear headphone thing?

Two and a half million dollars. For loving cat ear headphones.

I used to think that I have ethics, but if I ever come up with some ridiculous piece of poo poo that people will nevertheless line up to buy, I'm running with it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno how much it had raised when first posted a couple of pages back, but that Cat Ear headphone thing?

I used to think that I have ethics, but if I ever come up with some ridiculous piece of poo poo that people will nevertheless line up to buy, I'm running with it.

Furries, audiophiles, and iPhone accessories are all proven goldmines, is it really surprised that putting all three together meant a huge payday?

The fact that it was so successful guarantees that we'll be seeing plenty of inexpensive Chinese knockoffs made, possibly before they even finish manufacturing and shipping the original headphones.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
There's no way they won't be huge, clunky pieces of poo poo. I expect a whole lot of backpacks are just going to devour these.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I expect weeaboos rather than furries/audiophiles are the target market for those headphones, since there are far far more of them. Also all the marketing would seem to suggest it with the vaguely anime stylings and all-Asian models. But I'm sure these will look just as kawaii on a 300lb acne ridden American child.

I await all the reviews that say they are absolutely terrible pieces of poo poo with dreadful build quality and sound quality because this is so clearly a cash in.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to enable more assholes to blast their ponyville chiptune remixes in public areas

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Furries, audiophiles, and iPhone accessories are all proven goldmines

True, but no audiophile would be caught dead shelling out for something this obviously chintzy.

There's no way those speakers are gonna be anything better than the $15 battery-powered pop-up speakers that you find in mall kiosks and I don't think it'd be unfair to extend that standard of expectation to the headphone drivers too.

But they light up and look like cat ears so obviously they're worth $2.5 million in preorders to nobody worth knowing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

unpacked robinhood posted:

I can't wait to enable more assholes to blast their ponyville chiptune remixes in public areas

The speaker designs on the ears are just fakes, the actual speakers go over the real ears

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

The speaker designs on the ears are just fakes, the actual speakers go over the real ears

their page states the exact opposite

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

unpacked robinhood posted:

their page states the exact opposite

This is an indiegogo project. Always assume they're lying on specifications, and the cheapest way to get the same look is what'll actually come out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Not only that, but they've since extended their deadline by another 2 weeks (your pic says Nov 7th, Indiegogo now says Nov 22nd) so they can milk even more money out of suckers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty much same here. I mean I went numb with the OUYA but poo poo like this just screams "TAKE MY MONEY I DON'T DESERVE IT" through a goddamn bullhorn.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Hey, I've seen that before

In the hit 2001 movie Josie & The Pussycats

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Hey, I've seen that before

In the hit 2001 movie Josie & The Pussycats

In that movie they didn't broadcast the sound through speakers in the ears. It just played the music in your ears like normal headphones. Also they brainwashed you into becoming a consumer whore. I think the headphones in this kickstarter are able to do that before you even put them on judging by the amount of donations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

My sister took her "extra" headphones from being an extra in that film.

They're foam.

Therefore slightly worse/better than the crap the indiegogo crap being peddled here.

Somewhat related, "Josie and the Pussycats" is actually pretty good and is a p.good commentary on 90's/00's consumerism.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's the most consumerist anti-consumerism film I've ever seen, and that's beautiful.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Pomp posted:

It's the most consumerist anti-consumerism film I've ever seen, and that's beautiful.

It is actually amazingly anti-consumerist to the point that they accepted not a single penny for product placement, even though they had a ton what you might think is modern day product placement. Any time you see a product in that movie, it's literally just there to be a "look at this crazy loving bullshit" parody, even though watching it with a 2014 mentality it doesn't look like anything unusual. This pretty cool that they took the name of a worn out 60's cartoon, made a movie that had nothing to do with the original IP and it was still a good movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Pretty sure someone posted this earlier but the Vrase, the case that turns your phone into VR is now being investigated by Scottish police for fraud

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29915439

quote:

Modifications to improve the headsets had caused a delay in delivering the product, the CEO said.

Mr Schiaffino added: "Fortunately, we're about to start industrial production and our supporters will start enjoying their devices soon."

Almost three years in the making, vrAse turns images on a smartphone screen into 3D visuals.

It could be worn to watch films, television and play games.

Known as augmented reality, the new way of seeing images and gaming is reported to be attracting growing interest from businesses.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2041280918/vrase-the-smartphone-virtual-reality-case

people in the comments section getting restless

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Nov 9, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:confused:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Turn your phone camera on and you can see in THREE DEE

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Seconds after this photo was taken he fell off his skateboard and smashed his tablet on the pavement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Seconds after this photo was taken he fell off his skateboard and smashed his tablet on the pavement into his face. His now permanently blind.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty sure someone posted this earlier but the Vrase, the case that turns your phone into VR is now being investigated by Scottish police for fraud

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2041280918/vrase-the-smartphone-virtual-reality-case

My vision is augmented.

in a very silly and impractical fashion.

OldMemes has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Nov 9, 2014

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Cool I can experience life though an instagram filter finally

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

im the corneas full of glass shards from a ruined smartphone the first time he face plants

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stringball posted:

Cool I can experience life though an instagram filter finally

There are people who would unironically enjoy something like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

There are people who would unironically enjoy something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alan Smithee posted:

So what exactly does this do that Google Glass or Oculus Rift doesn't?