Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

I thought I understood haematomesis pills [or however it's spelled], but i clearly don't, because it really hosed up my last run using one and not getting the kind of hearts I was expecting. How do they work?

My experience is they basically reduce your health to 1 (just damage, they dont take away containers) and cause 2-3 red hearts to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

My experience is they basically reduce your health to 1 (just damage, they dont take away containers) and cause 2-3 red hearts to drop.

Pretty much this. I thought I had it figured out too, since every time I used it I had a net gain of a heart. Naturally I thought it would dump out your hearts and add one every time. I used it directly before Mom when I had about 8 heart containers. :negative:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me too.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Except sometimes they definitely don't do that so who knows.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

P.s, it is way too easy to gently caress up a promising run by eating a bad pill or picking up something that SHOULD have some cool effect with your current tears setup but instead gimps the poo poo out of you.

P.p.s, cain sucks now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

What does the other contract item do? The one with the text that says "Wealth, but at what cost..."

I don't know if this is it or not but I got this item and then had it's otherwise fantastic run end at Satan last night where I would be randomly teleported out of rooms when I got hit by a boss. I got hit by Satan when he was about to die and I was at low health and restarting the fight was too much for my Isaac to handle :(

Edit: Also what does Cursed Eye do? I've seen number of people mention that and I think I had that in that run too. There's do much new poo poo I can't keep track.

Vvvvvv welp

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 7, 2014

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
That's the cursed eye.

VDay posted:

Except sometimes they definitely don't do that so who knows.

Yeah I used one when I had 6 health containers and it spit out 6 hearts for me. Pretty nice pill, for once.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ignite Memories posted:

P.s, it is way too easy to gently caress up a promising run by eating a bad pill or picking up something that SHOULD have some cool effect with your current tears setup but instead gimps the poo poo out of you.

P.p.s, cain sucks now.

Sup, fellow Cain buddy. :( Is it just me or has basically everything good about the character been removed, making him a slightly worse version of non-D6 Isaac? He no longer has his increased attack power or his increased speed. He no longer gets guaranteed good pills. He no longer gets guaranteed payouts on the fortune teller machines. And his health is still reduced. What does the Lucky Foot even do now?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Spoon Bender is rad.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Are there any deals on this game out there for PC or will I have to wait? I stupidly forgot to buy it when I had the discount available for having the original.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Read posted:

Spoon Bender is rad.

But that's a knife?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

John Lee posted:

But that's a knife?

Very good! I see you've played knifey-spoony before!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

pumpinglemma posted:

Sup, fellow Cain buddy. :( Is it just me or has basically everything good about the character been removed, making him a slightly worse version of non-D6 Isaac? He no longer has his increased attack power or his increased speed. He no longer gets guaranteed good pills. He no longer gets guaranteed payouts on the fortune teller machines. And his health is still reduced. What does the Lucky Foot even do now?

Wait, seriously? I have yet to unlock him but man he was my favorite.

Penvellyn
Jul 30, 2014
Does anyone know what the Fish head trinket does?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Logan 5 posted:

It's not as powerful as I'd like, but drat if it isnt satisfying after only having vanilla soy milk all the way to Depths II

What does the goat do?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
/\/\/\ Fish Trinket causes friendly blue attack flies to spawn when hit I think, same as original BoI
Goat Head makes a Devil/Holy Room open every floor

The Lucky Foot is now just a luck up. That's it as far as I can tell.

It's a shame there isn't an achievement for no-hit runs of the Chest. Cause I just did that.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Luck Foot still affects gambling AFAIK.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, the full health pills no longer give ??? anything.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Every time I've played the shell game with Cain (about three times now) I've gotten Skatole on the first try. I can't tell if this is intentional or if I just got stupidly lucky.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
How does the challenge #17 work, the items seem to cause every enemy act in a really erratic way as if the tears created some kind of gravity well. It was pretty fun but really, really unpredictable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Disappointed that Cain isn't as overpowered as he was in the original. I miss not having to worry about pill effects.

edit to avoid double posting: Is there ever any reason NOT to pick up the devil beggar from the devil rooms? I mean, as far as I can tell it effectively maxes out your health capacity

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 7, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They nerf Cain, buff Samson, and keep Eve the (same) shittiest character. Makes no drat sense.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Not a Children posted:

edit to avoid double posting: Is there ever any reason NOT to pick up the devil beggar from the devil rooms? I mean, as far as I can tell it effectively maxes out your health capacity

To avoid Deal with the Devil precedent so you can have fun Angel Room items.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, I just unlocked Epic Fetus and it seems to be every bit as strong as in the original.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ignite Memories posted:

P.p.s, cain sucks now.
Cain is really good if you get Guppy's Tail early on.

Also, I'm kinda curious. Do those enemies who are attached to the wall in the Womb and later levels break off or do anything threatening if you leave them alive for too long? From what I've seen from them they seem pretty harmless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know why you guys think Ipecac is so bad. All you heed is holy shield and it makes every room a breeze! :downs:

It became even more absurd once I got tammy's head. Walk into middle of room, press space bar, win.

dude789 posted:

Cain is really good if you get Guppy's Tail early on.

What the hell does this even do? It doesn't have any effect I can see.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Undead Hippo posted:

To avoid Deal with the Devil precedent so you can have fun Angel Room items.

I very frequently get Devil rooms and usually take a deal. Is this going to screw up my chances of ever getting an Angel room?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Volt Catfish posted:

They nerf Cain, buff Samson, and keep Eve the (same) shittiest character. Makes no drat sense.
Samson was actually worse than Eve because bloodlust was not only lovely, but a special item, so he had way lower chance of getting other special items. Makes a little sense.

Internet Kraken posted:

You get golden chests all the drat time.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I thought I understood haematomesis pills [or however it's spelled], but i clearly don't, because it really hosed up my last run using one and not getting the kind of hearts I was expecting. How do they work?

1) go down to one heart
2) drop 2-4 hearts on the ground
3) gain speed up for your trouble.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Guppy's Tail makes room rewards more likely to be red/grey/gold chests.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Internet Kraken posted:

Assuming it works the same as the original game (which is in line with what I've seen so far) it has a chance to swap a pick up with a chest or gold chest. Since Cain has maxed luck he gets more from chests and is more likely to get keys to take advantage of the increased gold chest drops.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I finally got around to trying this a little while ago, but it turns out my laptop is old and lovely and the game runs at like half speed. Sad times for me.

After a quick googling, I found this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2ld3t1/psa_how_to_speed_up_rebirth_considerably_even_on/

Doing everything in the top post there still didn't bring me up to normal running speed, but also changing VSync to 0 in the options.ini in my savedata folder did, so I can actually play the game now.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
So there's a big gold door in you-know-where with a giant keyhole in it that I'm thinking is for mom's key?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Gah at hard mode cathedral with azazel + quad-shot + dmg upgrades == one shotting every boss. The lack of health is what got me, that and the fact that every enemy wanted to explode. Boss rush was easy at least.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

KingShiro posted:

The evolution of brimstone

Brimstone + Quad Shot

Brimstone, Quad Shot, Loki's Horns, and Number One

Brimstone, Quad, Loki, Pee, and Tiny Planet I barely had to hold the button down for a charge

Bonus Brimstone + Tammy's Head

Fuccckkkk meee, I had Brimstone and the Ludvico thing which lets you control your shot. It was pretty poo poo actually until I got a few DMG ups but once I got brimstone:

That's a huge fuckoff ring of death I could control where went and I had flight.

And then the game froze in Sheol, which was pretty loving poo poo, just after I got cancer. Goddammit.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So who wants a hilarious ??? run with plenty of soul hearts, Guppy, Ipecac, the not affected by explosion item whatever it's called, damage ups, the drop doubling item and flies that one shot bosses?

8J61 N9EJ

It's a bit low on keys to begin with, but once you get Ipecac, your damage is no longer a problem and you're already immune to it! Could've no hit the Cathedral, but I'm still learning Isaac's full pattern, I think I can see how to dodge the room sweeping light attack.

EDIT: Ooh and don't worry about the lost curse, all the items you pick up are good! Including Guppy's Head. Don't worry about thinking it's Dead Cat... that comes later, ignore it and pick up the Paw from a red chest. drat, even I might replay this on occasion, it was such a good run.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 7, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And then the game froze in Sheol, which was pretty loving poo poo, just after I got cancer. Goddammit.

You can just continue, it'll put you at the beginning of the floor usually.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

That was a bit rough!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Disappointed that Cain isn't as overpowered as he was in the original. I miss not having to worry about pill effects.

it makes staying in the gambling room forever harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Waffle! posted:

I very frequently get Devil rooms and usually take a deal. Is this going to screw up my chances of ever getting an Angel room?

Yep! Taking a deal with the devil locks you out of angel rooms for that run. "Taking" means paying Hearts for something, opening the red chests or grabbing items from the floor is fine.