Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

we're going to make a tv show set in our universe made up entirely of massive sci-fi set pieces but we don't want it to be expensive
when people hear "halo" they think "long talky scenes in cramped, mostly empty rooms"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

we're going to make a tv show set in our universe made up entirely of massive sci-fi set pieces but we don't want it to be expensive

if only they could use the already existing special effects and assets they made for the in-game cutscenes, i mean they could have people in a lan game as actors and wiggle their heads around for talking, a movie, made with the machine, anima-ted, some college bros could do it for free even

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Space-Pope posted:

microaoft is on my campus today. exactly one person was checking out their SUV booth things when i walked past

i remember at my school the computer science department had a student that was a microsoft 'ambassador' or something which really just meant he would have a meeting every month with poo poo loads of free pizza. and not like stingy cheese and pepperoni only. i'm talking mountains of every type of pizza. it was glorious.

oh and i guess he blabbered on about .net or something for a bit too

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

if only they could use the already existing special effects and assets they made for the in-game cutscenes, i mean they could have people in a lan game as actors and wiggle their heads around for talking, a movie, made with the machine, anima-ted, some college bros could do it for free even

can't they just get christopher nolan and that french guy who made gravity and a blank check

it's not like their marketing budget is doing much anyway judging from the recent cnn iPad thing

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

DaNzA posted:

that french guy who made gravity

really

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

so microsoft previewed the super cool ridley scott-produced halo tv series to the press in advance of its premiere on xbox video

keep in mind this is the one ms studios project they kept after dropping all their other original programming

i'm betting there was some sort of contractual obligation that all CGI had to be rendered on a xbone

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm betting there was some sort of contractual obligation that all CGI had to be rendered on a xbone
i didn't realise it was a stop motion film

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Alphonse Caron

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

i remember at my school the computer science department had a student that was a microsoft 'ambassador' or something which really just meant he would have a meeting every month with poo poo loads of free pizza. and not like stingy cheese and pepperoni only. i'm talking mountains of every type of pizza. it was glorious.

oh and i guess he blabbered on about .net or something for a bit too

Free food always works at uni, those Microsoft booths have nothing free so no one cares.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Free food always works at uni, those Microsoft booths have nothing free so no one cares.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
in the dinosaur ages when i were a college kid sgi had an 18 wheeler painted that simultaneously awful and radical sgi purple with the sgi logo and everyhing and inside there were legendary weird blob shape purple sgi workstations running fucken awesome demos and they drove it to my school even tho we were not primarily a cs/eng school and it was p loving rad and tons of people toured it and got handed come-work-for-us literature. they also handed out swag like this letter opener i still have which looks liek the sgi truck

what im saying is sgi was fucken cool they didnt even have to hand out food. microsoft is not cool and has never been cool

thats my story hope u liked it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
sgi was the last great embodiment of 20th-century technological optimism

now it's all poo poo, everything's poo poo, welcome to the dystopian cyberpunk future

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

you can't edit create new powerpoint files on the mobile versions because why the gently caress would you be making a powerpoint deck on a mobile device, like what is even wrong with you

lol if you've used anything but keynote to make a presentation since its release

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

massive sci-if set pieces "paying homage" to popular sci-if franchises

attaching Ridley Scott was a good idea given how much of everything Bungie came straight from Alien

I wonder if they also managed to involve Larry Niven, or just pay him off

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

attaching Ridley Scott was a good idea given how much of everything Bungie came straight from Alien

niven would probably just hand them the script to the star trek animated series episode he wrote

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

iirc bungie people said their direct inspiration was the orbitals in banks' culture novels and welp, he dead :rip:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Only paid users will be able to change the orientation of a document between portrait and landscape mode. Free users can open landscape documents, but can't change them, and will create all new documents in portrait.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Paid users can format documents into columns. Free users can open existing documents with columns and edit the text, but can't modify or undo the columns themselves.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

Only paid users will be able to change the orientation of a document between portrait and landscape mode. Free users can open landscape documents, but can't change them, and will create all new documents in portrait.

software assurance customers can create documents that free users can change orientation on, but only for a maximum of 4 documents per software assurance seat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

in the dinosaur ages when i were a college kid sgi had an 18 wheeler painted that simultaneously awful and radical sgi purple with the sgi logo and everyhing and inside there were legendary weird blob shape purple sgi workstations running fucken awesome demos and they drove it to my school even tho we were not primarily a cs/eng school and it was p loving rad and tons of people toured it and got handed come-work-for-us literature. they also handed out swag like this letter opener i still have which looks liek the sgi truck

what im saying is sgi was fucken cool they didnt even have to hand out food. microsoft is not cool and has never been cool

thats my story hope u liked it

this truck was created about fifteen minutes before sgi went bankrupt (the first time)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this truck was created about fifteen minutes before sgi went bankrupt (the first time)

doesnt surprise me but at that frozen moment in time they were still amazingly cool especially to college kids

unix workstations were still exotic. unix workstations with world class 3d accelerators, the ones responsible for all the coolest sfx in the latest movies? holy shitballs

school actually had a lab with sgi machines in it but it was locked up so the plebs couldnt get in, i never took the right class to get in there

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
microsoft 4 years or whatever after the 23-inch touchscreen still doesnt get the diff between a good ui and one that is shamefully uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iu7bUKKrJE

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
maybe you should wait a week before resorting to reposting month old microsoft research projects.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

so microsoft previewed the super cool ridley scott-produced halo tv series to the press in advance of its premiere on xbox video

production values of a made-for-tv-movie? wouldn't that be pretty good for a tv show?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
when companies come here to bribe students they usually just buy a shitload of doughnuts for the campus snack shops to give out for free

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the weird thing is that Forward Unto Dawn was decent

I guess its easy to make a quality product when you're funding it via a gigantic marketing budget instead of funding it as the product itself

edit: $10 million for 90 minutes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it's not a million dollars per finished minute like you would expect from a normal Ridley Scott film and that's why people are like "waaaa the graphics aren't good"

looks like the audience is full of pagancows on this one.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

poty posted:

microsoft 4 years or whatever after the 23-inch touchscreen still doesnt get the diff between a good ui and one that is shamefully uncomfortable

this is basically the trackpad text entry UI in my car, ported to a watch

nice "research"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

poty posted:

windows 7 was the last decent ui microsoft did. it wasn't super great or anything, but I've been forced to use windows 8.1 lately and it's just so clunky and ugly by comparison. ballmer probably fired all the good ui people for disagreeing with metro

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

poty posted:

literally getting angry irl

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/07/microsofts-own-office-apps-much-better-on-iphone-than-windows-phone-8

thanks satya you're a dude

http://valleywag.gawker.com/microsoft-ceo-tells-women-not-to-ask-for-a-raise-at-wom-1644473757

maybe only to other dudes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

windows 98 was the last decent ui microsoft did. it wasn't super great or anything, but I've been forced to use windows 8.1 lately and it's just so clunky and ugly by comparison. ballmer probably fired all the good ui people for disagreeing with metro

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

windows 7 was the last decent ui microsoft did. it wasn't super great or anything, but I've been forced to use windows 8.1 lately and it's just so clunky and ugly by comparison. ballmer probably fired all the good ui people for disagreeing with metro

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
steve
"the embalmer"
ballmer

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H5N1 posted:

don't know what the hell i'll do with it tho.

ship the yostop

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i have heard nothing about the xbox one TV features since the announcement

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

PleasureKevin posted:

that's because they suck and/or don't work in your country

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

they released a USB-powered adapter for receiving a TV signal directly from an OTA antenna. They also region-locked it so it only works if you're located in specific parts of Europe/UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK, now i've only heard hilarious yet sad things about the Xbox One TV features since announcement

• Locked thread