Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Axel Serenity posted:

It's almost like Eve-style diplomacy was unsustainable in a game about piracy! Better take the high road here and steal guild supplies while getting people kicked in completely separate games because my libertarian fish utopia was never going to work long run. Actually having competition and working for fish was just too drat hard.

But eve is also about piracy :confused:

AA drama is literally all the eve drama for the past 8-10 years condensed into a few months and that's why it's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

AA drama is literally all the eve drama for the past 8-10 years condensed into a few months and that's why it's the best

Hopefully with less remdick.jpg.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can we have more EVE bigshots come into the thread to make bad posts

we ran two off yesterday and I was enjoying those

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

can we have more EVE bigshots come into the thread to make bad posts

we ran two off yesterday and I was enjoying those

I'm about as far from a bigshot as you can get. I am just laughing at the drama and stupidity of kicking someone over supposedly a different game, though Deadtear did say it was because of spying poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what about jeffraider tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am just laughing at the drama and stupidity of kicking someone over supposedly a different game, though Deadtear did say it was because of spying poo poo.

oh, then welcome, please keep posting friend!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

oh, then welcome, please keep posting friend!

Really, I just wanna know why he got fired from TMC over this. They don't really care about your affiliations in video game land, more so you being a competent writer and being consistent etc.

Kimsemus, can you help explain what happened?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Unfunny Poster posted:

Really, I just wanna know why he got fired from TMC over this. They don't really care about your affiliations in video game land, more so you being a competent writer and being consistent etc.

Kimsemus, can you help explain what happened?

He kicked pedophile apologists.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Axel Serenity posted:

It's almost like Eve-style diplomacy was unsustainable in a game about piracy! Better take the high road here and steal guild supplies while getting people kicked in completely separate games because my libertarian fish utopia was never going to work long run. Actually having competition and working for fish was just too drat hard.

It totally could have worked. It just didn't work with only a couple months to pull things together, and a never-ending drama train.

As neither a fisher nor a pirate, the problem seems to have been communication. There was a public rule "don't gently caress with fishers who are fishing with/near goons" and a ~secret~ rule "don't gently caress with fishers at all until after Auroria launches". Kis was absent from the leadership meetings that discussed the secret rule, so he broke it and while doing it ignored anyone who told him he was breaking the rules, because he only knew about the public rule. I feel bad for the fishers that goon fishing was ruined, but it doesn't rise to level of "goonfucking" to me.

Keeping the real rule secret because OPSEC was a mistake. Yes, some goons would have bitched about a fishing pact that gave pubbie fishers a free pass on the high seas, but the goon pirates would probably have grumbled and still grudgingly restricted themselves to pirating reds for a couple weeks.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

It totally could have worked. It just didn't work with only a couple months to pull things together, and a never-ending drama train.

As neither a fisher nor a pirate, the problem seems to have been communication. There was a public rule "don't gently caress with fishers who are fishing with/near goons" and a ~secret~ rule "don't gently caress with fishers at all until after Auroria launches". Kis was absent from the leadership meetings that discussed the secret rule, so he broke it and while doing it ignored anyone who told him he was breaking the rules, because he only knew about the public rule. I feel bad for the fishers that goon fishing was ruined, but it doesn't rise to level of "goonfucking" to me.

Keeping the real rule secret because OPSEC was a mistake. Yes, some goons would have bitched about a fishing pact that gave pubbie fishers a free pass on the high seas, but the goon pirates would probably have grumbled and still grudgingly restricted themselves to pirating reds for a couple weeks.

Don't feel bad about the fishers, they left for greener pastures and are having plenty of fun. Now Goons can feel free to pirate fishers and fishers can feel free to to kill them without a pesky thing like a common guild tag getting in the way. Having to wear the same tag was the biggest problem fishers had with the pirates.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like that all the future plans that could have possibly motivated & united people were hidden on the officer forum and only discussed in an officer only mumble channel

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I like that all the future plans that could have possibly motivated & united people were hidden on the officer forum and only discussed in an officer only mumble channel

It wasn't hidden, it was that it wasn't fully formed yet. We didn't have a guild leader so we couldn't actually claim a castle. Until Dodgy passed it to someone we literally could not do anything.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all I know is that people in the guild seemed really desperate for some direction, and there was a major officer meeting, and nothing was discussed publicly on the offsite/guild chat/mumble with the guild at large at least when I was around during primetime

would have been neat for someone to be like "here is our basic plan" or even "hey we have something, we'll let you know in the next few days" but I didn't even see anything like that

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Eonwe posted:

all I know is that people in the guild seemed really desperate for some direction, and there was a major officer meeting, and nothing was discussed publicly on the offsite/guild chat/mumble with the guild at large at least when I was around during primetime

would have been neat for someone to be like "here is our basic plan" or even "hey we have something, we'll let you know in the next few days" but I didn't even see anything like that

Of course you didn't see anything in guild chat because you had already been kicked and admitted that you deserved as much.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ragnoxiii posted:

Of course you didn't see anything in guild chat because you had already been kicked and admitted that you deserved as much.

no I hadn't you idiot and I still had access to the offsite & Mumble

so the only place I could have potentially missed it was in guild chat among the sea of "F FOR FISHING" spam

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Eonwe posted:

no I hadn't you idiot

Dodgy and the commanders had been MIA for over 2 weeks, no one really knew their plan. The meeting which I was brought in on was literally "can we at all salvage this guild and how". The answer turned out to be no, and here we are.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok good pointless derail glad you talked out of your rear end about my status of the guild and are now onto the next thing

anyway, sure would have been nice to hear a plan out of someone, or just "hey we promise we've got plans"

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006
Welp, doesn't really matter anyways.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Eonwe posted:

ok good pointless derail glad you talked out of your rear end about my status of the guild and are now onto the next thing

anyway, sure would have been nice to hear a plan out of someone, or just "hey we promise we've got plans"

Sorry I derailed the BFM EVE PL poo poo, carry on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank you

Tsargon the Great
Jun 4, 2005

~=~ NuMBa 1 PoSta~=~
CuTiE
First we decided that GS had drifted too far from our secret fishing rule to be saved. Second we decided to steal the guild bank.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Tsargon the Great posted:

First we decided that GS had drifted too far from our secret fishing rule to be saved. Second we decided to steal the guild bank.

Then we joined Wicked and got the first castle. Mission success.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Angela Christine posted:

No, I think even this is being generous to the fishers. Most goons play a sandbox PvP game with the explicit goal of making pubbies angry. Banning goons from pirating more than half the players on the server for reasons that amount to "mah fish! don't make pubbies angry with goons or I might lose mah fish!" wasn't particularly likely to stand.

It's not like Kimsemus' imfamous fisherfucking raid was a solo effort.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ragnoxiii posted:

Don't feel bad about the fishers, they left for greener pastures and are having plenty of fun. Now Goons can feel free to pirate fishers and fishers can feel free to to kill them without a pesky thing like a common guild tag getting in the way. Having to wear the same tag was the biggest problem fishers had with the pirates.

Honestly despite my lack of success at joining fishing raids, I was on fishers side. Goon guilds are about goons having fun. These two kinds of goon fun directly conflict with each other. Either goons stop fishing completely or pirates severely reduce their choice of targets, it seemed like pirates taking one for the team would be the more fair solution.

Then the fishers left and stole my 500 stone bricks. :qq:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stealing stuff pubbies donated is meh, but stealing stuff actual goons donated for a specific purpose really is goonfucking.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Honestly despite my lack of success at joining fishing raids, I was on fishers side. Goon guilds are about goons having fun. These two kinds of goon fun directly conflict with each other. Either goons stop fishing completely or pirates severely reduce their choice of targets, it seemed like pirates taking one for the team would be the more fair solution.

RIP your stone bricks. I personally had nothing to do with that nor do I know how much we had, where it came from, or where it went.

I only ever joined fishing raids to kill pirates and would get free fish to do so, plus I just liked hanging out with them more than other groups.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Stealing stuff pubbies donated is meh, but stealing stuff actual goons donated for a specific purpose really is goonfucking.

I am honestly sorry that you became collateral damage in the mutual goonfucking.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Angela Christine posted:

Yea it sucks. I too donated a bunch of stone. I don't think they had a running tally of who donated what.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

ragnoxiii posted:

I am honestly sorry that you became collateral damage in the mutual goonfucking.

I don't think so buddy.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

Hy_C posted:

I don't think so buddy.

Psh, you are FC, you gently caress goons all day.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
lol at fishers who think they couldn't have continued fishing with PVP when the real issue is that it just would have taken more effort and they would make only Richie Rich-esque money instead of Scrooge McDuckian money

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Angela Christine posted:

Honestly, I feel like the goons in charge who collected these things then quit and hadn't logged on in weeks without any kind of communication with the materials and just shipped them off to some random goon days before Auroria are the ones who seem more like the goonfuckers. They should have sent the poo poo to the goons who had donated it and could've hosed off the rest of it as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't say those goons who left for Wicked with the materials are goonfuckers, but they are still at fault and it's all really lovely.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 7, 2014

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Trying to apply EVE politics in ArcheAge is like trying to apply an MIT quantum physics course to a first grade art students.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Axel Serenity posted:

lol at fishers who think they couldn't have continued fishing with PVP when the real issue is that it just would have taken more effort and they would make only Richie Rich-esque money instead of Scrooge McDuckian money

Your metaphors are spot on. Please post more.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

But eve is also about piracy :confused:

I'm not saying it's not the same drama; I'm saying it's silly that EVE goons are trying to play that same drama in Archeage.

Despite its user base, EVE is a fairly complex game that requires some fairly meticulous planning. It's battles involve thousands of players in any number of different kinds of ships made with an entirely player-based economy. Zones and factions in control of certain guilds have immense sway over the landscape of the game for null sec players. Politics, pacts, and diplomacy play a major role because of how the game is designed.

Archeage battles involve maybe four types of ships and usually end with one of those ships getting launched into the air like a breached whale.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I laughed at this really hard at work

thank you

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

:vince: :captainpop: :vince:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

:thurman: