Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Here is Stovetop posted:

So my client patched today, supposedly to fix the priority bug, and whelp, not fixed woo woo!
That patch actually got delayed AGAIN because there was some other bugs they found it introduced, the small patch that went out today probably didn't actually do anything from what I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just lost to some guy who didn't play a single troop. He just kept using removals on me and then killed me with two Burn to the Ground cards and huge resource pools. The very next game this other guy plays two Wild Root Dancers and since I didn't have any removals or counters, they just kept increasing attack/defense and just owned me in a couple of rounds!

It's pretty cool to see diverse strategies being played, even if I am losing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LightReaper posted:

I'm not sure I buy that. If you cast a spell that gets Chimed, you get the option to choose a different target for the second spell, allows you to time ripple two permanents for example. Peek isn't technically targeting in the same way other spells are, but it should in theory follow the same rules of being treated as a new copy of the spell.

Do you still have a recording of that game?
Because what I think happened:

You play Peek, 2 get put on the stack
Peek 1 shows your deck
You select Ragefire
Peek 1 disappears from the stack. No draw has happened yet, the shuffle hasn't happened yet!
Peek 2 shows your deck. Its the same order as above due to --^
You select Ragefire again (when there was only one Peek on the stack, so it was the the second Peek)
Both peeks resolve

This is similar to what happens when you play Ragefire.
2 get put on the stack, you select a target for the first one and it disappears from the stack, but nothing happens (no damage, no card text update). Then you select a target for the second one and both cards resolve.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I was watching the stream. There was a reveal, a selection, a second reveal, but no second selection. After the second reveal, the second peek simply vanishes without resolving.

The way it should work is Peek 1 goes on the chain, Peek 2 goes on the chain, Peek 2 resolves (reveal, draw, shuffle), Peek 2 is off the chain, Peek 1 resolves (reveal, draw, shuffle), Peek 1 is off the chain. There's definitely some weird poo poo going on with Chimes.

Ragefire is a different case, because Ragefire is a targeted spell. Peek is not.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Yes, the issue here is that the second Peek isn't letting me select anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/lightreaper/b/585664043 From about 2:17:50, audio muted because of music sadly.

I select the first peek target, it resolves and the ragefire goes into my hand, then the second peek STARTS and lets me look at the top cards, but it never gets to the selection view for the peek.

I also need to adjust my webcam apparently.

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know how viable it would be, but I was thinking about trying out a Wild/Saph constructed deck focusing on Dreamer and giving it spellshield. Here's what I came up with, probably need to work in some Time Ripples. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10280
Definitely play a singleton Diamond for the edge case scenario where the life gain ability on stargazer is relevant. Only other suggestion I'd give is cut the Wild Auras. I know it provides a second win condition by throwing it on a dude who's receiving a bunch of Wild Root buffs, but there's so much targeted removal in the format that I'm not sure it'd be worth it, with those 3 slots you could add 2 more senseis and a howling brave and be extremely mulligan resistant. If you're unable to win off of Dreamer you can just go wide with Spectres.

LightReaper fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 6, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

LightReaper posted:

Definitely play a singleton Diamond for the edge case scenario where the life gain ability on stargazer is relevant. Only other suggestion I'd give is cut the Wild Auras. I know it provides a second win condition by throwing it on a dude who's receiving a bunch of Wild Root buffs, but there's so much targeted removal in the format that I'm not sure it'd be worth it, with those 3 slots you could add 2 more senseis and a howling brave and be extremely mulligan resistant. If you're unable to win off of Dreamer you can just go wide with Spectres.

Thanks for taking a look, definitely like those suggestions. I don't own any Dreamers or Chosen, but I might pick them up and try it out. Worst case scenario those are the only cards I need for the mono-saph deck and I need something for the VIP constructed tournaments this month.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is the variant I've been playing with:

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=10155

It just seems a shame not to include Incantations of Ascendance in any deck that's using Cerebral Fulmination. It's pretty strong against most things but is vulnerable to blood/diamond, which isn't a good thing to be vulnerable to. It has a lot of stuff in there to counter aggro strategies, which may be less necessary in the current meta.

The sad thing is that Drowned Shrine of Ulthar in Set 2 is going to make card-draw decks a lot weaker. I may sidebar in some imp hoodlums, not sure.
One of the huge strengths of Chimes Burn is that it turns off the huge amounts of removal most decks are packing, so I'm really not sure about the Birds of Paradise. I'm eager to hear your experiences with the card, as the interaction with extra burn spells and it are powerful but I've always found with Fulminations that you don't really need the extra card draw and peek in it's place just helps find pieces of the combo you are missing. It's the same reason I think Incantation of Ascendance is a little janky - your opponent knows roughly when it's going to turn on, and they will very likely have a removal spell ready for when it turns into a troop. Have these cards worked well for you? This kind of build seems like it'd be strong in a meta that has less focus on Control, powerful in a different sort of way than the 'stock' build.

I've been thinking about the deck a lot lately, specifically the sideboard. Very tempted to try out a singleton Storm Colossus to bring in as an alternative finisher versus control post reserves after they've removed their extinctions. Another card I'm thinking of trying out is Splinter of Azathoth, but first I need to test something (though sadly I'll be away from my home computer until Monday) - Can you bounce a Chimed copy of a spell, and if so will it go back to hand? Splinter might just be the kind of card Chimes needs versus these B, S, B/S control decks that are a giant thorn in my side. Provides a clock by itself, blocks Corpse Flys & Vampire Kings, and can run interference on my opponents interference. If you happen to have the one shot open when you cast spells post Chimes though, that's when fireworks could potentially start flying. Ragefire interrupt the copy, cast ragefire again for a total of 3 copies for 6 mana, or you know, Mastery of Time shenanigans.

Edit: Just got reimbursed for the tournament after reporting the bug, so their support staff definitely seem to think the Chimes Peek interaction is bugged!

LightReaper fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been checking out the Gameforge pages for Hex because I am a nerd with nothing better to do, they don't have any useful information or anything but man some of the graphics are pretty slick; http://en.hex.gameforge.com/game.html#/

Also apparently they give out platinum codes for stupid poo poo like brain-teasers; http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board130-competition-and-contests/560-mastermind-how-to-play/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LightReaper posted:

One of the huge strengths of Chimes Burn is that it turns off the huge amounts of removal most decks are packing, so I'm really not sure about the Birds of Paradise. I'm eager to hear your experiences with the card, as the interaction with extra burn spells and it are powerful but I've always found with Fulminations that you don't really need the extra card draw and peek in it's place just helps find pieces of the combo you are missing. It's the same reason I think Incantation of Ascendance is a little janky - your opponent knows roughly when it's going to turn on, and they will very likely have a removal spell ready for when it turns into a troop. Have these cards worked well for you? This kind of build seems like it'd be strong in a meta that has less focus on Control, powerful in a different sort of way than the 'stock' build.

You're right about the Birds of Paradise. That was *wayyyy* more useful about two months ago when the meta was less removal-heavy and leaned more towards aggro (back then I was playing a deck closer to this); basically what I did recently was just add Chimes to that structure). On the other hand, there are some decks that it can bring to a complete stop, and due to the power of self-burning your bird for card fountains, if it lives even one turn it can win games. If you run into an Inspiration/gorefeast deck though and can survive long enough to get it into play, it'll usually win the game for you. But yeah it's something you might sideboard out against blood/diamond right now, depending on how much removal your opponent was packing.

The Incantation of Ascendance, though, consistently wins games. Fairly often, you can surprise your opponent by using an Oracle Song, Mastery of Time, or other card-draw effect to set it off "early," before they're expecting it, and since it's been "in play", it can attack on the turn it transforms; you also will generally have all your resources open the turn it transforms, so you can give it cover with a counterspell fairly easily. Because it can be such a huge creature (16/16 flying with a seven card hand) it generally doesn't have to attack more than once to win the game. The downside is that it's slow (less of a problem now that everyone is playing control-heavy, more of a problem vs. gorefeast) and that Peek and Lord Benjamin type "look and pick" effects don't count as "draw" and thus don't add counters.

Fulminations are a little bit of a gamble because your opponent draws first, but they have some real benefits too -- both VIP tourney winning Chimes decks had them. For one thing,they interact really well with Mastery of Time (and of course with the Incantation).In long grindy games though they really show their power. Over a long game you might get fifteen or more extra cards from a Fulmination, and most of the cards in this deck are fairly low-cost, so you can generally play more cards per turn than your opponent. They're also a great way to counteract risk of shard screw/flood; it's very rare that you'll get seriously flooded or screwed when you're drawing that many extra cards (of course it does the same thing for your opponent; don't play your Fulmination if your opponent is resource having problems, unless you're having worse ones). That said, they're something you might sideboard out against decks playing other escalation cards or against mill decks (but fortunately there aren't any big mill decks right now). On the other hand, they're almost a soft counter to blood/diamond, both because B/D relies on so many pump effects and high-cost cards that you can often play two cards for your opponent's one, and because even a single Fulmination in play gives you a 50% chance of sending that Angel of Dawn into the opponent's hand rather than into play.

On the whole it's a really, really fun deck to play, just because you've got a nice variety of effects, it uses cards most people don't see frequently, and the large amounts of card draw minimize shard screw and flood. It *is* a little weaker against the current meta than I'd like it to be, for the reasons you point out -- the creatures are vulnerable to Blood/Diamond's removal. Against mono-sapphire though it's very strong, I seem to generally do fairly well vs. Tu-Pact, and even against blood/diamond I can manage a win a fair percentage of the time.

EDIT:

I'll test with Splinter of Azathoth and report back, good idea. What you're describing *should* work, as the Chimed copy is another full copy of the card -- chiming ragefire sends two ragefires back into your deck, for example. I suspect at that point you're getting a little too fancy though. Better to just have card draw actions to grab more ragefires.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2014

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Looks like patch is up. https://hextcg.com/patch-notes-v-0-9-4-053/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

So, I made a forum account to do this and something wonky is happening. I log in and it says I don't have permission to view the page. If I try to go into the subforum manually, the page instantly logs me out.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Wow 6 colors, 8 pegs. I guess it was too easy with fewer.

edit: nm, solver isn't helpful when others are guessing

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The board crashed, so I guess too many people are trying to game the system?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

The board crashed, so I guess too many people are trying to game the system?

Probably, you can still get to the actual game through here though; http://mastermind.shardsoffate.eu/

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yo Sigma, not sure when you wanna throw down, but there's a good chance I'll be gone most of this weekend starting tomorrow, so let's try to plan for sometime next week?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Yo Sigma, not sure when you wanna throw down, but there's a good chance I'll be gone most of this weekend starting tomorrow, so let's try to plan for sometime next week?

Sounds beautiful to me

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So because I'm gonna want to open all the boosters when Set 2 hits I think I'll jump into Sealed rather than go straight for Draft like my first instinct - swiss sealed only has a 200 plat entry fee (plus the packs obviously but I already want to open those) and guarantees at least 1 booster prize (so worst case it's the same as buying a pack from the store), and if the scheduled sealed fires it could potentially be a net positive (I haven't seen scheduled sealed queues firing off recently but Set 2 almost guarantees more players right?)

Grim fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Had a pretty fun draft today. Early on it wasn't looking good, because at the end of pack 1 I had like 2-3 cards each in every color but blood. Started seriously shaping up in pack 2, though, and ended up ruby/sapphire. Went 2-0, 2-1, and 2-0.

It turns out if you get a bunch of Monkey of the Nine Tails and run Bertram, it's pretty hard for your opponent to get anything done on the ground (a pair of 3/4s for 5 resources and 3 charges is pretty hard to argue with). Toss in a couple Phoenix Guard Trainers and you can clog up the air pretty good too. Then, once they've spent all their removal, kill 'em with an infiltrator bot.

This was my first experiment with a high-curve (more 5-drops than any other slot, and pretty much nothing in the 2 slot except for some bombsmiths I sided in against a mono-sapphire dwarf deck) deck running 18 shards, and I think it turned out pretty well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm getting an oddly perverse pleasure from playing Proving Grounds lately. So many of the games are against total newbies playing basic starter decks. You get all the joy of a massive beatdown and then they're so grateful for basic advice like "you might want to buy a Gore Feast for your orc deck there."

There was one guy I started to feel bad for because I was going all Chimes + Mastery of Time + Ragefire on a Bird of Plenty + etc. and he was playing like a basic human deck; afterwards he said "no man, you do your thing, that was just cool to watch, I'm going to tell my friends about this."

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 7, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like Padomyme and I are going at it this saturday.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

I'm getting an oddly perverse pleasure from playing Proving Grounds lately. So many of the games are against total newbies playing basic starter decks. You get all the joy of a massive beatdown and then they're so grateful for basic advice like "you might want to buy a Gore Feast for your orc deck there."

There was one guy I started to feel bad for because I was going all Chimes + Mastery of Time + Ragefire on a Bird of Plenty + etc. and he was playing like a basic human deck; afterwards he said "no man, you do your thing, that was just cool to watch, I'm going to tell my friends about this."

Yeah I gave away a playset of commons this morning to some rando that was wondering what the best way to get said commons was with little investment. I also advised drafting sealed, but figured a playset could get them on their way.

At this point due to my dealings with the interface, I'm going to throw out that I think double backed cards are dumb, and I would like them to go away. The fact that I have 30 of one card and this thing is tracking specifically which one is in a deck drives me nuts, becuase it also won't tell me which deck, and heaven forbid I have multiple decks using one because If I sell an extra that is marked as being in a deck, I have to go load all of my decks that use that card to find the one I just broke because I sold my fifth card that was some how in a deck. Same with mailing cards to people. I don't think there is going to be enough benefit from the double back to make all the hassle of "oh not this specific" card but "this specific card of same name and same art." Blech.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They aren't currently tracking stats on individual cards but I see what you mean about it not using the same copies in different decks

I think it makes total sense for them to track these stats on a per-card level because it's a way to add value to the experience - in real life I can get a card signed, I can foil out a deck / sell those cards off to someone else trying to do the same, etc

Being digital-only means they can do all kinds of stuff you couldn't in a physical TCG, but unless they take care the game could lose out on some things as well (like right now bluffing / any kind of head-game based play is really difficult)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
All the cool digital mumbo jumbo really won't mean squat if the UI for the game sucks balls. Why is the AH so limited on tools to use it. Multi-sell? Simple statistics on card volume or current buy/sell? I get why they launched the KS when they did, hype for kickstarter in general was declining so it was now or never but wow the client is so bare bones.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wish I had a good answer in my head for whether or not to mulligan when I only have two resources in hand.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I wish I had a good answer in my head for whether or not to mulligan when I only have two resources in hand.

I usually try to go with "If I don't draw a shard, do I have a play?"

Though, to be quite honest, my actual play habit ends up being "Do I already have the threshold to play this good 3-drop?"

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Summary of all the Q&A stuff discussed in that thread that was posted the other day:

http://www.hexprimal.com/state-of-the-game-cory-jones-qa-summary/

Lots of info there.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

For me it depends if I am on the draw or not, but I tend to make a lot of greedy decisions about keeping hands

I asked the Hex community manager if tournaments will have a Set 1+2 prize split when the new set is out; I don't remember from long ago experience with MTG but it looks like that's how its done in mtgo so I just kind of assumed it would

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grim posted:

For me it depends if I am on the draw or not, but I tend to make a lot of greedy decisions about keeping hands

I asked the Hex community manager if tournaments will have a Set 1+2 prize split when the new set is out; I don't remember from long ago experience with MTG but it looks like that's how its done in mtgo so I just kind of assumed it would

They've said that there will be for drafts at least.

Honestly I'm kinda hoping set 2 doesn't drop until after the VIP tournament just because the meta blowing wide open the week before the vip tourney will be crazy.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
They specifically said if Set 2 does release, it'll be illegal for the tournament.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BenRGamer posted:

They specifically said if Set 2 does release, it'll be illegal for the tournament.

I'm pretty sure they said the exact opposite.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

katkillad2 posted:

I'm pretty sure they said the exact opposite.

Yeah was pretty sure I saw that set 2 would be legal if available.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

In the Q&A summary link on this page, it says the exact opposite.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well somehow I misread legal as illegal, then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hah, if they release the new set right before the VIP tournament there are going to be some CRAZY prices on things.

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
MrBims vs Padomyme (Xobraix)

Him playing Shin'Hare and me with Orcs.

Game 1: He mulliganed twice and me once. Managed to pull a good selection of troops and removals after one mulligan. Got rid of a few of his troops such as Buck Ear Commander to keep his attack power in check. Managed to get down 2 Throat cutters with a good selection of orcs. After getting him down to low life I only needed to get 2 damage through as I was sitting on a Burn to the Ground and also had a crush in hand. He attacked and didn't take into account Poca's charge power so I alpha striked in. It didn't matter anyways as he messed up on the block and died.

Game 2: After 2 Mulligans on my part had a playable hand. He managed to get enough troops on the ground to block while getting up his big troops, a boulder brute and shin ear commander. I tried to hold out to the point I could maybe burn him down but his troops and big guys together managed to overwhelm me since I would lose my small selection of troops on blocks.

Game 3: Same story as game 2, I just couldn't get enough troops on the board to deal with his small horde with a Bucktooth Commander on the board, though I did manage to burn the first one he had. After not pulling any more removal he won with an Alpha strike while I only had 3 blockers on the board and he had 6 troops to attack with so no matter what 3 damage would get through.

Winner: MrBims

Last Place:Me

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Grim posted:

I've been checking out the Gameforge pages for Hex because I am a nerd with nothing better to do, they don't have any useful information or anything but man some of the graphics are pretty slick; http://en.hex.gameforge.com/game.html#/

Also apparently they give out platinum codes for stupid poo poo like brain-teasers; http://board.hex.gameforge.com/board28-english-section-en/board130-competition-and-contests/560-mastermind-how-to-play/

So the prize for this is 420 plat, which is p awesome. I already won two and you can only win once per 24 hours. If anyone needs help on exactly how to win, PM me or mail me in game if you have posted your user name in this thread (would rather Goons win vs random lurkers).

edit: my IGN is 'ninb'

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 8, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Honestly I'm kinda hoping set 2 doesn't drop until after the VIP tournament just because the meta blowing wide open the week before the vip tourney will be crazy.
Honestly I hope it does because it will mean actually interesting decks, though if people were bitching about bugs in the last VIP tournament I can't imagine the kind of poo poo-fit they would throw over inevitable bugs in a new set

Hah, if they release the new set right before the VIP tournament there are going to be some CRAZY prices on things.
Also this :getin:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I got upset in the last one but it was because I just got screwed out of two rounds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pawn 17 posted:

So the prize for this is 420 plat, which is p awesome. I already won two and you can only win once per 24 hours. If anyone needs help on exactly how to win, PM me or mail me in game if you have posted your user name in this thread (would rather Goons win vs random lurkers).

edit: my IGN is 'ninb'

How much personal info do you have to enter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

How much personal info do you have to enter

None at all. Prizes are sent as codes to your PM box on that board.

• Locked thread