Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugghhh gently caress the carrion queen so much. Had a great set of items and lost on the boss rush cause of the stupid loving toxic poos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So one of the batteries lets you build a second charge for your item.

Queue me beating Satan from start to finish with a half a heart using double Pinking Shears.

E: Three times now I've done Boss Rush where I had Curse of the Unknown. The most recent one, the item I picked was the Bean. :(

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Welp got the D6 in an amazing Blue Baby run. Sacred heart, plus fear, tooth shots, the shield, the bible and Taurus pretty much made the run.

Shame I got to get lucky like that again 3 more times :-(

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Getting the Ludovico Technique as the first item in your first Azazel run: :stare:

Using it to unlock the Nail: :stare:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Seriously Ludovico with Brimstone is hilarious

gently caress Tammy's Head, Ludovico is where it's at. Only problem is that I wish I could make it cursor controlled :smith:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, so basically the lesson I've learned is to never take Soy Milk, ever, no matter what. It and cursed shot pretty much single-handedly ruin any run if you pick them up.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So I've never played this before today, and I think I'm missing something. There seem to be keys or items all the time in the middle of a kind of diamond shape of blocks, but blowing them up or pushing on them doesn't seem to do anything? Am I missing some way to get these things? Some 'push blocks' or 'jump across pit' button?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

a foolish pianist posted:

So I've never played this before today, and I think I'm missing something. There seem to be keys or items all the time in the middle of a kind of diamond shape of blocks, but blowing them up or pushing on them doesn't seem to do anything? Am I missing some way to get these things? Some 'push blocks' or 'jump across pit' button?

Hope the RNG throws a flight-giving item at you. That's it, really. Do boomerangs pick up items like they do pickups?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I still want to see soy milk and ipacec just because it seems so dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Sometimes it's not possible to get to items without other items, it's the nature of the game. If there's a on block gap and a rock next to it, you can knock the rock into the hole with a bomb. There are also things that give you flight. There is no jump button, but there is an item that lets you jump when used.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Magres posted:

Seriously Ludovico with Brimstone is hilarious

gently caress Tammy's Head, Ludovico is where it's at. Only problem is that I wish I could make it cursor controlled :smith:

That's the problem I have with Ludo that makes me not like it. Very slow using keys, but in the remix it was a bit faster using the mouse, which is missing for some reason.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Seeing a lot of people donating coins one at a time, you can just hold up against it to repeatedly donate or stand behind it and it'll do it automatically.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Just had two winning (Sheol/Cathedral Clear) Monstro's Lung Runs in a row, first one was with Eden, a slow burn with getting Ouija, Sagittarius and Technology 2, but mostly won because of Pinking Shears which is really good. Second one with Maggy only needed Monstro's Lung and Ipecac to win, the rest was just for decoration. I don't think I'll be getting more than a winning steak of 3 any time soon (unless I win the next run)

Unlocked the Negative, just one away from the Polaroid.

Also, How to Jump + Broken Teleporter is super fun.

Fun thing I learned from a run not too long ago, Proptotsis + Soy Milk will end your run.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol, the old inconsistency with Maggy's name from the original game is still in this one. During boss intros it says "Magdalene vs boss", during mini-bosses it says "Magdalena". I wonder why that's still there.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Been working through hard mode, got all the hard mode save file icons for Isaac, and Boss Rush + Chest path stuff for Cain and Magdalene.

My most recent run was fun because I ended up with Mom's Knife and then got Brimstone so I would just shoot a stream of knives. The damage wasn't as crazy as I had expected but it was hilarious to work with and the main knife still retained its normal movement and damage.

I know some combos are broken but I feel like the majority of the fun in this game is getting crazy combos and watching enemies that are tough early on suddenly unable to put up a fight.

Also, I unlocked an item called The Rules Card, which is a card pickup. When used, it gives you a hint about some stuff that isn't obvious in the game. For example, I got a hint about using loud noises to awaken the angels. I am going to get a deck of cards and try to farm for more of these to see what else I can learn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Crisis posted:

Getting the Ludovico Technique as the first item in your first Azazel run: :stare:

Using it to unlock the Nail: :stare:

Happened to me as well. Died to Satan because I picked up Dead Cat by accident; the fact that I managed to actually get to Satan with 1 heart from mom's heart on sort of gives you an idea of how absurd this combo is.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If you want to try a fun experiment, try picking up Monstro's Lung with magnetic tears. One charged shot to rip basically every enemy in the room straight to your face.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Read posted:

Seeing a lot of people donating coins one at a time, you can just hold up against it to repeatedly donate or stand behind it and it'll do it automatically.

You can also donate up to 50 coins like this, while it broke way earlier on other attempts for me

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is Pyromaniac for player bombs only or does it work on things like trollbombs, exploding blocks and puke shots?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure when it breaks is random.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dis astranagant posted:

Is Pyromaniac for player bombs only or does it work on things like trollbombs, exploding blocks and puke shots?

Seems to work for everything. Some enemies that attack with explosions(like Wrath) seem to have their AI tweaked to rush you though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's no achievement for beating cathedral/sheol/chest without taking damage, right?

dis astranagant posted:

It definitely works for your own puke bombs, at the very least. Pyromania+ipecac is possibly the best thing in the game.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Protip: if you use Judas' Shadow as ??? you actually don't get credit for killing Mom's Heart or Satan. Judas might get credit but I've already cleared both those bosses with him so I don't know.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OK, I really hate the Guillotine. It sounds OK - it turns your head into a tear-firing orbital. Then you actually try it, and you realise that having the source of your tears circle around your hitbox is a complete and utter headfuck for very little benefit. It makes it almost impossible to dodge Mom's Heart or Isaac. Also, when you're pressed against a wall, half the time your head is buried in the wall and therefore not firing. I could probably have beaten Isaac with Blue Baby if I hadn't picked that up. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Protip: if you use Judas' Shadow as ??? you actually don't get credit for killing Mom's Heart or Satan. Judas might get credit but I've already cleared both those bosses with him so I don't know.

Using Judas' Shadow turns you into Judas no matter what character you're playing similar to dying with the Ankh always turning you into ???. Equally similarly, beating the game after using Judas' Shadow counts whatever you do for Judas instead of who you were before. It's kinda dumb.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Does the head still count as a hitbox? If not its probably at least a huge helpful shield.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
So the Goat's Head which is supposed to protect you from all overhead damage, like Mom's foot, does NOT work on Satan's stomp. Fuckgoddammit.

I had that, and the shield which stops all damage from the front but then Satan just stomped me to death because I did no damage :(

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Every time I beat mom I get the negative now. Beat isaac with it and game still ended.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Every time I beat mom I get the negative now. Beat isaac with it and game still ended.

The Negative only works in Sheol, as the Polaroid only works in the Cathedral. It's kind of a pain when you specifically want to go to one or the other!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mackers posted:

So the Goat's Head which is supposed to protect you from all overhead damage, like Mom's foot, does NOT work on Satan's stomp. Fuckgoddammit.

I had that, and the shield which stops all damage from the front but then Satan just stomped me to death because I did no damage :(
The Goat's Head only does bullets, not explosives or enemies. I think the mask is the same.

e: or is the entire overhead thing false? The main effect of the Goat Head is giving you a devil room every level.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 8, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Similarly, dying with Lazarus's Rags turns you into Lazarus, which is kind of a bummer. But eventually we will have all the unlocks and poo poo and this won't matter.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm pretty sure the negative is for the the bonus level after Sheol and both bonus levels only show up after beating Cathedral/Sheol 6 times (maybe 5?)

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

I'm pretty sure the negative is for the the bonus level after Sheol and both bonus levels only show up after beating Cathedral/Sheol 6 times (maybe 5?)

I think it's 5. If you've unlocked both, you can choose which one you get when you beat Mom.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Flergatron 3000 posted:

It does give Judas the credit.

By the way, what happens if you get guilotine, and then use the Pinking Shears?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

woop

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People keep talking about how Monstro's Lung was amazing for them but every time I've picked it up its been a huge piece of garbage that basically ruined my run. I mean the normal version is very meh but everytime I've mixed it with other shot altering items it has bugged out and become even worse. I'm talking like 6 second charge time for one volley of projectiles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I haven't used it, but I assume it's the damage. Like getting Polyphemus on Azazel, the charge time is absurd but you kill bosses in like 2-3 hits.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Here's a tip: Pinking Shears + Any item that lets you recharge your spacebar item = Carnage. Popped a 48 Hour Energy pill in Isaac's room and he was dead in seconds.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone found all 12 signs (Sagittarius, Leo, etc) and did you get an achievement / unlock for it?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I get the feeling this has been mentioned but why on earth did they remove mouse aiming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

People keep talking about how Monstro's Lung was amazing for them but every time I've picked it up its been a huge piece of garbage that basically ruined my run. I mean the normal version is very meh but everytime I've mixed it with other shot altering items it has bugged out and become even worse. I'm talking like 6 second charge time for one volley of projectiles.

The delay depends on your tears stat. A max tears stat makes it maybe a second or two, and combined with damage ups and other tear mods it can be ridiculous. Good luck trying to get to that point though.