Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pubes under the dial switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Scratches on the body

A clear viewfinder with no scratches on the mirror,

Autofocus that works well on all individual focus points,

All modes and buttons function,

Tripod mount screws on and tightens securely (good threads),

Memory card door in good condition,

Lens mount not terribly scratched ( Minor wear marks are normal)

Take a high ISO photo and review it on a laptop is possible. I don't know if these new bodies eliminate hot pixels automatically, but if there are a bunch/cluster of them, I'd give me something to think about and possibly decline the purchase.

A while back I bought a new Canon body with a weird strip of 30 pixels that turned gray across the sensor at high ISOs. I was able to exchange it 2 days later with no fuss from the camera shop but i always check that now before leaving the store/craigs list seller. So bring your own memory card too.

Ask them why they are selling the camera. Watch the eyes.

Also pubes. I'd deduct $$$ for pubes in the camera. Male pubes especially.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 29, 2014

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

mrlego posted:

Scratches on the body

A clear viewfinder with no scratches on the mirror,

Autofocus that works well on all individual focus points,

All modes and buttons function,

Tripod mount screws on and tightens securely (good threads),

Memory card door in good condition,

Lens mount not terribly scratched ( Minor wear marks are normal)

Take a high ISO photo and review it on a laptop is possible. I don't know if these new bodies eliminate hot pixels automatically, but if there are a bunch/cluster of them, I'd give me something to think about and possibly decline the purchase.

A while back I bought a new Canon body with a weird strip of 30 pixels that turned gray across the sensor at high ISOs. I was able to exchange it 2 days later with no fuss from the camera shop but i always check that now before leaving the store/craigs list seller. So bring your own memory card too.

Ask them why they are selling the camera. Watch the eyes.

Also pubes. I'd deduct $$$ for pubes in the camera. Male pubes especially.

If they are female pubes do I add a couple hundo? Just want to make sure I'm clear on that.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

If they are female pubes do I add a couple hundo? Just want to make sure I'm clear on that.

Excessive pubes might signal a general lack of professionalism, or might signal the seller is ready to mate.

Deduct for all pubes. A hundo is fine.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Only if they're not grey or white.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I dunno what thread to post this in. Sooooooo:

I just got back from a shoot, used my 6D + 24-105 F4, I imported the photos on to my HDD via Lightroom, they look fine. As soon as I start doing any kind of edit on the photo, this thin blue line shows up at the bottom (or side of the frame, if I shot portrait) in the preview and for a split second while it loads the photo... Then it will disappear.

Just seems really odd, and I feel like its a camera issue not a Lightroom issue. Was it caused by shooting at 24mm? Is it something I should be worried about?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Looks like something is causing your preview to glitch out. I don't think LR is GPU accelerated so maybe some combination of a random incompatibility between CPU/RAM/OS version is causing this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Export some JPGs and see if you still have the problem. Like 1st AD said, it's probably just a preview issue.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'm leaning towards software/hardware issue.

I made a new catalog and imported the photos and they don't seem to be doing that anymore.

Weird.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have any experience with either of the following:

A) sending camera bodies in to Canon for repair? mostly wondering turn around time and estimated cost

B) Err 30 on a DSLR body? namely a 5d MkII that started throwing the error in the middle of a job I was shooting last weekend and almost caused me to have to tell the person who hired me for the event that I wouldn't be able to shoot the last half of it.

I know that it's related to the shutter getting stuck somehow, and I had it show up once before many months ago and it promptly resolved itself by going into manual cleaning mode.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you shoot events with no backup I feel bad for you son

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

evil_bunnY posted:

99 problems but a glitch ain't one.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

evil_bunnY posted:

Totally expected to get this. In my defense, I'm not shooting weddings... And I'm planning on getting a Fuji x100t as soon as it comes out. I'll evaluate how it would serve me as a backup but for the type of events I shoot I feel pretty certain that it will meet my needs if ever a crazy error like this is to occur again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I recently shot an event without a backup because I managed to drop my 2nd body the day before and couldn't get a rental in time. FORTUNATELY the event was 2 days and basically everything kind of happened on repeat 3x a day both days. Still, it would've been nice to be able to switch to a different body/focal length without fumbling around with my bag all day.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So uh, anybody have a spare body cap they want to send/sell me? I dropped mine into the Potomac river.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Isn't that what a 40mm pancake is for?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bubbacub posted:

Isn't that what a 40mm pancake is for?

That's a harsh comment: it's quite a nice lens and not just for dropping into rivers.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I've got a T5i on the way for Christmas. But, my Dad sent me his old Rebel XS.

It seems like it will randomly throw up Error 99 while shooting. I can almost always make it happen by switching to Manual mode, except it didn't today...so I don't really have an easy way to re-create the issue. I've looked around and it seems like this can be just about anything...and this camera isn't quite worth $300 for the repair.

Whenever I get the error, power cycling does nothing. Removing/installing the lens does nothing. Changing modes does nothing.

However, when I power off, remove/install the SD card, and power back on, everything is working happy. I haven't tried other permutations of this, such as removing/installing the SD card with power on, or putting in a different SD card.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing/installing the battery. Given that it always responds to the SD card, I'm not sure that will do anything for me.

So all signs seem to be pointing to the SD card as being the problem. Anyone have experience with this issue? I'm trying to figure out if it just doesn't like certain SD cards, or if there's a wonky connection in the SD slot, and pulling/installing the SD card re-seats it.

Edit: for reference, the SD card is a Lexar Platinum II, 32GB.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

old Rebel XS.

It seems like it will randomly throw up Error 99 while shooting.

However, when I power off, remove/install the SD card, and power back on, everything is working happy. I haven't tried other permutations of this, such as removing/installing the SD card with power on, or putting in a different SD card.

The only thing I haven't tried is removing/installing the battery. Given that it always responds to the SD card, I'm not sure that will do anything for me.

So all signs seem to be pointing to the SD card as being the problem. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Edit: for reference, the SD card is a Lexar Platinum II, 32GB.

I usually never power off the body to remove the memory card. I've have error 99s with Kingston CFs and no-name cards, usually on very old and well used bodies.

Are the metal contacts on the SD card clean? Do you have another SD card you could try to reproduce the error with?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

mrlego posted:

I usually never power off the body to remove the memory card. I've have error 99s with Kingston CFs and no-name cards, usually on very old and well used bodies.

Are the metal contacts on the SD card clean? Do you have another SD card you could try to reproduce the error with?

I should mention that this Error 99 is a pre-existing issue. That's the reason my Dad sent it to me...he knew I was in the market, and he still had it sitting around, so he sent it to me as a stop-gap measure until we got ourselves a new one, and to see if I could fix it on the cheap and maybe sell it for a few bucks (and offset the cost of a new one). I don't know what he was using for an SD card, but I don't know if he had ever dug in to it enough to get to the point where he suspected that.

I do have another SD card I can try. I was going to give that a shot the next time I tried troubleshooting. I also have a few of those SD to micro-SD adapters, so I can try those as well with various micro-SD cards I think I have stashed somewhere.

The SD card I'm using is nearly brand new, though. I'll try cleaning the contacts tonight as well, to see if that helps. I'm not confident it will help, but I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Last night when I was messing around with it it only gave me Error 99 on the first shot. Once I re-seated the memory card, it worked without issue until I put it away, which was after about 50 shots.

On a completely separate note: Does anyone know of good software to control the camera from a PC? I tried something called EOS Camera Movie Record that is supposed to be able to take videos, since the older cameras can't do it natively. However, the software complains that the camera doesn't support LiveView, so it just craps out and refuses to do anything further. Which is a shame, because it looks like you can control just about every aspect of the camera via USB.

Mainly, I'd love to be able to control this via PC for astrophotography. I don't care about taking videos at all, so it annoys me that the software doesn't even bother trying since the camera can't support LiveView. I could hack together an intervalometer no problem, but PC control would be much better, especially if I can control everything and save the images directly to PC. Even better, if it IS the SD card slot that's the problem, AND I can control the camera entirely over USB, then I wouldn't bother trying to fix it and I would keep this camera around solely for astrophotography.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

On a completely separate note: Does anyone know of good software to control the camera from a PC? I tried something called EOS Camera Movie Record that is supposed to be able to take videos, since the older cameras can't do it natively. However, the software complains that the camera doesn't support LiveView, so it just craps out and refuses to do anything further. Which is a shame, because it looks like you can control just about every aspect of the camera via USB.

Mainly, I'd love to be able to control this via PC for astrophotography. I don't care about taking videos at all, so it annoys me that the software doesn't even bother trying since the camera can't support LiveView. I could hack together an intervalometer no problem, but PC control would be much better, especially if I can control everything and save the images directly to PC. Even better, if it IS the SD card slot that's the problem, AND I can control the camera entirely over USB, then I wouldn't bother trying to fix it and I would keep this camera around solely for astrophotography.
http://www.backyardeos.com/default.aspx

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
DXOMark has a 7D Mk ii review up.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Mk-II-review-Low-ISO-performance-lags-behind-rivals

quote:

From the sensor performance point of view, a four-point lead over its predecessor is really only a modest advancement. That’s the equivalent to around 1/3-stop improvement in color sensitivity, just 0.1 Ev in DR (albeit at base ISO) and about a 1/3-stop improvement in low-light sensitivity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lol so basically no improvement to the million year old sensor tech.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol if you expected anything other than a souped up 70D.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon shittin the bed since the 550d god drat

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Work just purchased a 50 1.2L, 100L macro and a 5D3, on top of a ton of Elinchrom gear I have little clue about. I got to touch it. It's very, very nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

1st AD posted:

Lol so basically no improvement to the million year old sensor tech.
Ostensibly various sources keep reaffirming a release date of Q1 2015 for the 5D4. If it doesn't come with considerable sensor improvements, you'll know that they're still trying to milk their fab, which was said to be an insane investment for the likes of Canon, that'd take ages to pay off. If a lackluster 5D4 happens, it's a sign to consider jumping ship.

It's also said that the upcoming 750D would have an EVF, which would be an hilarious thing, if it still uses the old sensors. Thermal noise worsening total performance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's also said that the upcoming 750D would have an EVF,

No way.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly various sources keep reaffirming a release date of Q1 2015 for the 5D4. If it doesn't come with considerable sensor improvements, you'll know that they're still trying to milk their fab, which was said to be an insane investment for the likes of Canon, that'd take ages to pay off. If a lackluster 5D4 happens, it's a sign to consider jumping ship.

I already jumped ship years ago :ssh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rumors, so YMMV.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

1st AD posted:

I already jumped ship years ago :ssh:

I used to be a Canon user too, but I too jumped ship. The last Canon camera I ever recommended to friends was the Canon 5D2, now I mostly recommend Sony or Fuji. Those who didn't heed my advice ended up selling off their Canons like a couple of months later when new Fuji/Sony cameras came out. To be fair, there are some reason to use Canon cameras but most of my friends don't fit into those niche use-cases.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 8, 2014

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -