Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Mask Team being entirely staffed by people who have been treated like dirt their entire lives, gathered together and pointed at an enemy for the promise that they'll be able to lead better lives tomorrow is a really sad thing, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bellri's mom is just the best. :allears:

On the other hand Aida is pretty much wasting all of her screentime.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sharkopath posted:

The Mask Team being entirely staffed by people who have been treated like dirt their entire lives, gathered together and pointed at an enemy for the promise that they'll be able to lead better lives tomorrow is a really sad thing, actually.

The thing about Tomino is, he's not afraid to be really on the nose with his social commentary.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

That first scene alone convinced me that this Char clone is already better than 90% of other Char clones.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just want to remind everybody that the G-Arcane can transform into a flight mode. I hope the story I heard about Tomino forgetting this fact until like 16 episodes in is true.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

In all honesty I was hoping they would shoot down the G-Self and kill Bellri or Goldfish Girl, because seriously they are SO BLAND in comparison to Mask and his crew. Why can't Mask be the main character?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 7, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eiba posted:

Well, yeah. Right now they're keeping her out of combat to let protagonist Bellri be the hero, but also not having her be a chump like Klim Nick. She's got an inappropriate weapon, so it's not like she's a bad pilot, but she's also ineffectual enough that Bellri gets to do everything.

I'd like her to do more poo poo too, but there's only so many times you can be upset with her for not being the protagonist.

I'm not upset with her for not being the protagonist, I'm just annoyed that she hasn't done anything in the last four episodes. I wasn't upset with Lunimaria in Seed destiny either, but I then again Lunimaria wasn't hyped up as supposedly the second most important character on the show, complete with her own gundam.

As far as her being a chump, Klim Nick might actually lose most fights, but he typically deals damage before he goes down. Aida flails around a whole bunch and then is either ignored or instantly chumped as she was in todays episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvtko347pek

The guy that does good 8bit renditions of a lot of different show themes got around to this show.

It's a nice arrangement, I think.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

The guy that does good 8bit renditions of a lot of different show themes got around to this show.

I like it. I could imagine hearing it in an old-school SRW game or something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Caros posted:

I'm not upset with her for not being the protagonist, I'm just annoyed that she hasn't done anything in the last four episodes. I wasn't upset with Lunimaria in Seed destiny either, but I then again Lunimaria wasn't hyped up as supposedly the second most important character on the show, complete with her own gundam.

Luna also hit things with her giant unwieldy beam rifle!

Thanks to stock footage, mostly, but it happened!

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hey, the preview shows Mick Jack is coming back next week:

Maybe she'll do something awesome in the Hecate. In order to create demand for a model. Because I want a model.

Edit: For maximum trolling, she won't even be in the drat thing. It just looks like it because, apparently, it, the Montero, the Grimoires (I think), and the Gehennams all share a cockpit design.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 7, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure they already announced a Hecate model.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It fits the bill for being a badass Mega Man stage theme like most Gundam themes translated to 8 bit.

Honestly I can't wait for the G-Arcane's sword mode to pop up since it's one of the main reasons I love the poo poo out of it. Also it's orange and I like orange.

Ethiser posted:

I'm pretty sure they already announced a Hecate model.

I believe they did, probably releasing in either January or February.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Mask seems like a pretty cool guy to be around. He's so excited about everything he does. He even has the highest kick in the conga line in the ED.

Hell even his MS high kicks to use its beam saber.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Mask seems like a pretty cool guy to be around. He's so excited about everything he does.

Mask is very enthusiastic about his job, I love it. He's even got his Elf Bullock in the Gunbuster pose when you see him in formation with his team.

So hey, Mask's defining trait seems to be his ambition. How long before he tries to drop a couple of Nuts on the Capital to establish Kuntala supremacy?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mask is great and it's hard not to root for him and his troops considering their goals. And considering Mask is passionate as hell and I really enjoy basically every scene he's in. I don't like their MS, though.

The episode itself...yeah, pure filler. The battle was bad, Aida is incredibly useless in battle despite having the second-best MS of the pirate army, Klim keeps jobbing despite being competent (maybe they should give the G-Arcane to him, he'd be able to get actual results...probably...), there was no point whatsoever in Raraiya taking the G-Self (I expected at least some battle out of her, perhaps with some insanity, but nope)...

On the good side, Klim and Raraiya's interactions keep being the best in the show, Bell's mum is cool if a really lousy actress (stealing that ship was badass though, I really like her despite limited screentime), and the next episode looks much better than this one.

Also Big Zam, now on the heroes' side. I wonder if it'll get mass-produced.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

That first scene alone convinced me that this Char clone is already better than 90% of other Char clones.

Well, when the competition is guys like Zechs Marquis, Rau le Creuset or Neo Roanoke, it's not hard to be better. Still, there are some decent ones like Chronicle who wasn't a great enemy, but was a sympathetic character and Graham Aker, who kind of fell apart in season two but was great in season one of 00. Harry Ord stands above all though.

Ethiser posted:

I just want to remind everybody that the G-Arcane can transform into a flight mode. I hope the story I heard about Tomino forgetting this fact until like 16 episodes in is true.

I think it was episode 18, and there was another recent rumor it's not going to transform in show at all.

Raxivace posted:

In all honesty I was hoping they would shoot down the G-Self and kill Bellri or Goldfish Girl, because seriously they are SO BLAND in comparison to Mask and his crew. Why can't Mask be the main character?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single show in existence where there isn't at least some folks wishing secondary characters would replace the main cast. Which might almost lead one to believe that the secondary cast shine in a lot of cases not because they're inherently more interesting, but because the smaller screentime and focus gives them a mysterious and/or underdog quality.

Like, Mask's crews entire characterization so far consists of "we want recognition because our ancestors were hosed over and we're called names". That's it. Sure, it's only after a few seconds of screentime, but I'm not sure how you can say that the space pirates who are fighting for power in a setting where they're being systematically denied it by the only true superpower, who have been engaged in decades of war with the other nations in the same position and who have a concrete plan they're following are less interesting than that. Even Mask himself isn't really all that interesting, given that he has essentially the exact same motivation as his crew, just with a bit more focus and a more entertaining personality. Klim is pretty much the same on the pirate's side as is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 7, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Like, Mask's crews entire characterization so far consists of "we want recognition because our ancestors were hosed over and we're called names". That's it.

They're experiencing institutional discrimination that once led to their ancestors getting used as loving livestock. That's a pretty enormous deal. I mean, try telling a Jew that antisemitic slurs aren't a big deal because the Holocaust was a long time ago, or tell a black guy that it's OK for you to call him a friend of the family because slavery's illegal now. See if you manage to finish the sentence before he rearranges your face. Yes, the Kuntala cannibalism is implied to be a bit longer ago than those examples, but they were literally used as food. Even the Nazis saw eating Jews as going slightly too far. That poo poo is going to leave echoes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

They're experiencing institutional discrimination that once led to their ancestors getting used as loving livestock. That's a pretty enormous deal. I mean, try telling a Jew that antisemitic slurs aren't a big deal because the Holocaust was a long time ago, or tell a black guy that it's OK for you to call him a friend of the family because slavery's illegal now. See if you manage to finish the sentence before he rearranges your face. Yes, the Kuntala cannibalism is implied to be a bit longer ago than those examples, but they were literally used as food.

Literally the only discrimination we've actually seen in show though is name calling. And not even particularly wide-spread name calling. Or institutionalized name-calling, given that the space-pope and all the other heads of the Capital, Willmit Zenam and Colonel Cumpa or whatever his name is included don't appear to give a poo poo about it since they never made any comments about Luin or Noredo's heritage beyond confirming that they were one. Luin used the prospect of advancement despite their heritage as a means to motivate his men this episode, but if there's a glass ceiling for them or what have you, we've yet to actually see it. The only people who've made any kind of acknowledgement of it have been low level dicks like Bellri and Luin's classmate and Dellensen's squadmate.

Also, that poo poo loses it's power over time in many cases. Try calling an Irish person a Paddy or a Mick or what have you. See how many of them smash in your face rather than just laugh it off. I'd certainly never take offense at it, and I am one. If there's more than name-calling going on, and there quite probably is, then we've yet to be shown it. Which is why I put it down only as name-calling, because that's all it is so far.

Also, the holocaust wasn't a long time ago. It's only been 70 years. On a historical scale, that's very recent. The entire Kuntala thing is implied to be more like a thousand years ago.

Darth Walrus posted:

Even the Nazis saw eating Jews as going slightly too far. That poo poo is going to leave echoes.

The kuntala weren't eaten out of discrimination, the discrimination is implied to have arisen because they were eaten and viewed as less than as a means for the people doing it to live with themselves for having done so given that they apparently had literally no other options if they wanted food. Applying it as a direct analogue of a hate crime is kind of pointless because the circumstances are so radically different from what we've been told.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 7, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It's not just the discrimination that makes Mask and his crew interesting, it's the possibility of a new sub-plot involving Mask being introduced. Mask is obviously not happy about the way they've been treated throughout their lives, and now the Capital's put together a kuntala-only army unit to be their guinea pigs in testing out forbidden technology in actual battle against veterans that have shredded through everything sent at them so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Mask attempted a coup somewhere down the line.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

Well, when the competition is guys like Zechs Marquis, Rau le Creuset or Neo Roanoke, it's not hard to be better. Still, there are some decent ones like Chronicle who wasn't a great enemy, but was a sympathetic character and Graham Aker, who kind of fell apart in season two but was great in season one of 00. Harry Ord stands above all though.

I think it was episode 18, and there was another recent rumor it's not going to transform in show at all.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single show in existence where there isn't at least some folks wishing secondary characters would replace the main cast. Which might almost lead one to believe that the secondary cast shine in a lot of cases not because they're inherently more interesting, but because the smaller screentime and focus gives them a mysterious and/or underdog quality.

Like, Mask's crews entire characterization so far consists of "we want recognition because our ancestors were hosed over and we're called names". That's it. Sure, it's only after a few seconds of screentime, but I'm not sure how you can say that the space pirates who are fighting for power in a setting where they're being systematically denied it by the only true superpower, who have been engaged in decades of war with the other nations in the same position and who have a concrete plan they're following are less interesting than that. Even Mask himself isn't really all that interesting, given that he has essentially the exact same motivation as his crew, just with a bit more focus and a more entertaining personality. Klim is pretty much the same on the pirate's side as is.

I'm utterly perplexed at the idea that anyone thinks mask and crew are anything more than cardboard cutouts. From what we've seen thus far mask is an utterly one dimensional character. I mean good on him for wanting to end racism against his nebulously defined people, but that is all he has going for him.

Do have to say that I think you're not giving Rau a fair shake. He might have been bland as gently caress for 90% of the series, but when he finally goes off the rails it is spectacular :allears:

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

I'm utterly perplexed at the idea that anyone thinks mask and crew are anything more than cardboard cutouts. From what we've seen thus far mask is an utterly one dimensional character. I mean good on him for wanting to end racism against his nebulously defined people, but that is all he has going for him.

Actually, that he identifies as a kuntala first and foremost and uses it to rally his men says a lot about his character already. As does the fact that when he has the mask on he acts nothing like Luin does. Maybe Luin is the real masked identity, and Mask is who he really is?

Also Rau was even more one-dimensional through most of the show.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ryas posted:

Maybe Luin is the real masked identity, and Mask is who he really is?

Maybe that rear end in a top hat cadet was right about him only being nice to Bellri to suck up to his mom. :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tsob posted:

Literally the only discrimination we've actually seen in show though is name calling.
There's a whole lot in this show that's implied, rather than shown. It's understood that they're a minority subject to discrimination. They don't need to go full social-issues-documentary for us to assume that they actually do face discrimination.

quote:

Also, that poo poo loses it's power over time in many cases. [...] Also, the holocaust wasn't a long time ago. It's only been 70 years. On a historical scale, that's very recent. The entire Kuntala thing is implied to be more like a thousand years ago.
In this case... it clearly hasn't lost it's power. We've seen evidence of dissatisfaction in Mask's actions.

I mean, of course things could be a different way. But they aren't. What's your point?

quote:

The kuntala weren't eaten out of discrimination, the discrimination is implied to have arisen because they were eaten and viewed as less than as a means for the people doing it to live with themselves for having done so given that they apparently had literally no other options if they wanted food. Applying it as a direct analogue of a hate crime is kind of pointless because the circumstances are so radically different from what we've been told.
We literally have no idea why or under what circumstances the eating occured. It could have been an existing minority being targeted (a la, Jews in the Holocaust) or it could have been a minority created by being subject that treatment. We don't know.

For the record, the closest parallel are the burakumin. They're a group that are ethnically identical to other Japanese, and who haven't been legally singled out since the 19th century, and yet they still get poo poo like former PM Aso saying a burakumin could never be PM, and creepy catalogs of where burakumin live so you don't accidentally move in next to one.

Other examples of discrimination lasting way the gently caress longer than you'd expect could include the Hakka, an ethnic group in southern China that arrived over a thousand years ago and whose name still literally means "guest families". Their perpetual outsider status was part of what lead to the Taiping Rebellion in the 19th century, one of the bloodiest wars in all of human history.

And honestly, the examples of the Jews is a terrible one, 'cause their discrimination began thousands of years ago, long before the holocaust. Incidentally, a lot of the reason people hated the Jews also has to do with an event so important it later became the start point for a new calendar. People can care a tremendous amount about things that happened thousands of years ago.

Honestly, it's kind of creepy that the first thing you do when told about a group that feels they're facing oppression is to assume that they're not, when you (and all of us) literally have no evidence one way or another. Like, in lieu of evidence either way, I think it's pretty safe to take their word for it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

There's a whole lot in this show that's implied, rather than shown. It's understood that they're a minority subject to discrimination. They don't need to go full social-issues-documentary for us to assume that they actually do face discrimination.

They don't, but showing something more than name calling directly would still be appreciated if the show is going to to have the characters motivated by discrimation.

Eiba posted:

I mean, of course things could be a different way. But they aren't. What's your point?

My point was that the only thing we've been shown so far is name calling. More than that, I wasn't even really trying to say anything about the kuntala themselves or that they weren't facing real discrimination (I even admitted next post that there most likely is more going on), only that we haven't been shown much in the way of discrimination. Which I was saying mostly to counter the idea that Mask and his squadmates were inherently more interesting than the space pirates, who are in a sort of similar situation, in that they're trying to fight against institutionalized abuse of power, even if for different reasons and have much the same kind of person within their ranks as Luin in the form of Klim.

My point wasn't about the kuntala at all, it was that secondary characters often appeal to people more than the primary cast because their limited screen time means that more is left to the imagination and/or because there is less there to grate on someone's nerves in some cases.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

My point was that the only thing we've been shown so far is name calling. More than that, I wasn't even really trying to say anything about the kuntala themselves or that they weren't facing real discrimination (I even admitted next post that there most likely is more going on), only that we haven't been shown much in the way of discrimination.

I'd say the segregated kuntala-only unit the Capital is essentially throwing to the wolves is pretty evident of the discrimination the kuntala face.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tsob posted:

My point wasn't about the kuntala at all, it was that secondary characters often appeal to people more than the primary cast because their limited screen time means that more is left to the imagination and/or because there is less there to grate on someone's nerves in some cases.
Ah. Well, no disagreement there. I think Belri actually comes off as a really fun non-standard protagonist at first glance. It took me a while to realize he was the main character in the first episode. At least, I expected the protagonist of a mecha show to be more thoughtful, brooding, or passive rather than so impulsive, cheerful, and energetic (that said, he wouldn't be out of place as the main character of a shounen battle manga).

Of course now that he's done all these main-character-ish things he's lost that freshness, but so would a bunch of other interesting side characters if they became protagonists. So yeah, I guess I agree.

(I still think that, in making this reasonable point, you said some unreasonable things about the Kuntala... but that's no big deal.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ryas posted:

I'd say the segregated kuntala-only unit the Capital is essentially throwing to the wolves is pretty evident of the discrimination the kuntala face.

You know, for some reason I entirely blanked on that fact despite it being sort of central to the argument I was in in the first place. Which is a bit of an embarrassing oversight. Yea, that's definitely evidence of more going on. I do wonder though in that case who commissioned the unit. One would assume Cumpa, the guy opposing Willmit and who let Aida, Bellri and Raraiya fly off in the G-Self - if it is though, he's at least restrained in his racism given that I'm pretty sure he's sat beside and spoken with Luin on a few occasions in the last couple of episodes without making any sign that he cared about his heritage. I suppose it's possible he's using them because he knows they'll fight harder given their heritage, but more than likely not.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ryas posted:

Actually, that he identifies as a kuntala first and foremost and uses it to rally his men says a lot about his character already. As does the fact that when he has the mask on he acts nothing like Luin does. Maybe Luin is the real masked identity, and Mask is who he really is?

Also Rau was even more one-dimensional through most of the show.

Yeah, that is why the line you are talking about pointed out how bland Rau was for 90% of the show. :confused:

And no, the fact that he identifies by his racial group when surrounded by a unit composed entirely of his racial group does not tell us a lot about his character. If he was a black man, in a unit of black men talking about how it was his chance for black men to show what they can do... that doesn't tell us anything about him, other than that he has pattern recognition. Of course he is going to use it to rally his men, its the one thing they have in common other than being in the army.

It helps reinforce that Kuntala's are a minority that are discriminated against, that I'll agree with. But it doesn't tell us much of anything about the type of person he is.

quote:

I'd say the segregated Kuntala-only unit that is being tasked with the destruction of the capital's enemies and rescue of the operations director's son, while being equipped with the newest and best equipment available is actually the opposite of being 'thrown to the wolves'.

You'd have a point if they were being sent out in garbage mobile suits, or used as diversionary cannon fodder, but they aren't. They are well equipped, well supplied and given every advantage. By comparison, the first operation to rescue Bellri was mounted by only a single Elf-whatever and a bunch of Cait Siths which are visibly less powerful.

Hell its worth pointing out that until he told them, Mask's unit didn't know he was a Kuntala. He said:

quote:

Allow me to tell you the truth about myself. I am one of the Kuntala. I've learned that all of you who were chosen are Kuntala as well.

Which implies that this is less of a segregated only unit and more of a "Hey, turns out we're all Kuntala. If we do really well it will reflect well on Kuntala. Lets do a good job."

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 8, 2014

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Caros posted:

And no, the fact that he identifies by his racial group when surrounded by a unit composed entirely of his racial group does not tell us a lot about his character. If he was a black man, in a unit of black men talking about how it was his chance for black men to show what they can do... that doesn't tell us anything about him, other than that he has pattern recognition. Of course he is going to use it to rally his men, its the one thing they have in common other than being in the army.

It helps reinforce that Kuntala's are a minority that are discriminated against, that I'll agree with. But it doesn't tell us much of anything about the type of person he is.

It tells us that he's proud of his heritage, and not ashamed. Plus, in that same scene, he agrees with the sentiment that the kuntala should rule over Capital Tower. I'm pretty certain that that scene was setting up Mask's own sub-plot and agenda, beyond just improving the kuntala's status, but we'll see.

Caros posted:

I'd say the segregated Kuntala-only unit that is being tasked with the destruction of the capital's enemies and rescue of the operations director's son, while being equipped with the newest and best equipment available is actually the opposite of being 'thrown to the wolves'.

You'd have a point if they were being sent out in garbage mobile suits, or used as diversionary cannon fodder, but they aren't. They are well equipped, well supplied and given every advantage. By comparison, the first operation to rescue Bellri was mounted by only a single Elf-whatever and a bunch of Cait Siths which are visibly less powerful.

Hell its worth pointing out that until he told them, Mask's unit didn't know he was a Kuntala. He said:

Which implies that this is less of a segregated only unit and more of a "Hey, turns out we're all Kuntala. If we do really well it will reflect well on Kuntala. Lets do a good job."

They also have no combat experience and they're being thrown against the elite unit of an army that has been at war for 20 years. The only reason they're being given all these cool new toys is so the Research Division can test them out and gather battle data to unleash even more forbidden technology. "Destroying the Capital's enemies and rescuing the director's son" is an obvious sham and they couldn't care less about that. And, seriously? "Turns out we're all kuntala?" A kuntala leading a unit comprised entirely of kuntala does not happen by coincidence.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ryas posted:

It tells us that he's proud of his heritage, and not ashamed. Plus, in that same scene, he agrees with the sentiment that the kuntala should rule over Capital Tower. I'm pretty certain that that scene was setting up Mask's own sub-plot and agenda, beyond just improving the kuntala's status, but we'll see.

Which we already knew from earlier scenes with the character, unless you're one of the people who totally doesn't believe that Mask is actually that other trainee.

quote:

They also have no combat experience and they're being thrown against the elite unit of an army that has been at war for 20 years. The only reason they're being given all these cool new toys is so the Research Division can test them out and gather battle data to unleash even more forbidden technology. "Destroying the Capital's enemies and rescuing the director's son" is an obvious sham and they couldn't care less about that. And, seriously? "Turns out we're all kuntala?" A kuntala leading a unit comprised entirely of kuntala does not happen by coincidence.

They have roughly as much combat experience as the men sent out with Dellensen (which is to say probably not much). More to the point, they actually seem to have a much better survival rate specifically because they are being given all the cool new toys. As for the mission, even if it is a total sham it is an important facade that they are still keeping up, which means it would be odd to send disgraced or somehow tainted troops.

And yes, seriously. We know absolutely nothing about Kuntala other than slight hints we've caught through dialogue and the info drop this episode. For all we know they could be the largest ethnic group in the capital, ruled over by a minority. If that were the case, then it wouldn't be a surprise to see many of them in one unit. Hell, even if they are still in the minority it wouldn't be surprising to find units composed entirely of a discriminated group, as they might join the military in higher numbers due to lack of other options.

Edit: Also a better example of discrimination would be that guy who kicks Noredo (who's name I had to look up... oi) early on in the first episode.

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

It really does not at all say that. An entire squadron made up of a single group doesn't happen by accident.

Caros posted:

And yes, seriously. We know absolutely nothing about Kuntala other than slight hints we've caught through dialogue and the info drop this episode.

Except we know a lot about them from that. For example they're obviously not very common because Mask being one is worthy of comment in an earlier episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That one mask teamember had a ton of internalized bitterness and aggression in him, it was super recognizable and relateable as someone who has dealt with similar issues all their life.

Just because its not agressively over exposed or poorly handled like most anime racism doesn't mean that's not exactly what Greco is going for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tomino had the space nazi who talked about being the superior called Hitler by his own father. And that was still too subtle for some people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's part of the tragedy too, it doesn't matter how well the mask team does, or that they are the vanguard of the army with the coolest death machines, at the end of the day they are guinea pigs being used against people with equally valid problems, and will end up used and abused by the organization. The pirates aren't the real target of the army, their machinations and militarization run way deeper than that. Their directors are just using this current conflict to enrich themselves and tighten the chokehold.

You don't disentrench universal prejudice through military service alone. That can totally end up masks angle too, once he gets fed up with eating losses with no real rewards, and with a unit loyal to him, its not hard to see him working for his own good instead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm legit glad Caros is here to call everything lame and simplistic, as it gives people wonderful opportunities to explain how cool and interesting all the subtle background stuff is in this show. I thought Mask was neat, and I liked his backstory, but I hadn't given it as much thought as some people here, and it's pretty cool.

Keep it up, Caros. You are paradoxically increasing my appreciation of G Recco.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azipod posted:

Best moment of the episode right here. :awesomelon: :respek: :cool:

You know this is exactly what the pilots would do all the time in the real world.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Raraiya-chan

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Man, Klim and Mask are channeling Char so hard that it hurts. Bell has the best mom, stage over-exaggerated act to get to earth, and would likely perish if she screws up her entry to earth, "Oh poo poo, I forgot to get snacks for my son!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eiba posted:

I'm legit glad Caros is here to call everything lame and simplistic, as it gives people wonderful opportunities to explain how cool and interesting all the subtle background stuff is in this show. I thought Mask was neat, and I liked his backstory, but I hadn't given it as much thought as some people here, and it's pretty cool.

Keep it up, Caros. You are paradoxically increasing my appreciation of G Recco.

I'm not here to call everything lame and simplistic. I'm here to point out that posts like this:

quote:

That's part of the tragedy too, it doesn't matter how well the mask team does, or that they are the vanguard of the army with the coolest death machines, at the end of the day they are guinea pigs being used against people with equally valid problems, and will end up used and abused by the organization. The pirates aren't the real target of the army, their machinations and militarization run way deeper than that. Their directors are just using this current conflict to enrich themselves and tighten the chokehold.

You don't disentrench universal prejudice through military service alone. That can totally end up masks angle too, once he gets fed up with eating losses with no real rewards, and with a unit loyal to him, its not hard to see him working for his own good instead.

quote:

Have almost zero basis in what we've actually seen. Its wishful thinking based on the themes that they want the show to explore, rather than the themes that the show have actually explored. Its the same sort of posts that talked in the early episodes about how Aida was totally an empowered female character and is crucial to the plot, which are sort of showing false at the moment seeing as she hasn't shown up for multiple episodes.

Now is it entirely possible that this is the sort of thing the show is going to explore? Yeah, sure it is possible. In fact I don't doubt that the Kuntala racism angle is going to come up further, though whether it has a significant place in the overall plot of G-reco is anyone's guess. But saying that their team is being thrown to the wolves, or that the army is using them in a way that is any different from other soldiers?

Those are the two highest ranking soldiers we've seen in the Capital Army. They came out solely to see Mask (totally not Luin) off before his sortie in the new top of the line mobile suit. To me that doesn't exactly scream "We're sending you off as a Guinea Pig. Especially after they'd first sent out an experienced soldier on the same task.

• Locked thread