Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
According to CustomsForge, Tom Petty incoming:

American Girl
Refugee
Learning To Fly
Won't Back Down
Free Fallin'

Pretty standard stuff, not a huge fan due to intense overexposure, but decent learning songs. Wish they'd gone deeper into the archives with something like You Got Lucky, I Need To Know, or Don't Come Around Here No More.

Hmmm, just found out American Girl is from '76 - I thought it was one of his most recent ones. I guess the cynic in me would say he hasn't evolved much, but on the other hand you can go with his songs are timeless? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I know its ROCKsmith, but some classic country dlc would be noice.

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003
(Insert witty title here)

super macho dude posted:

I have a feeling it's less to do with country vs rock and more to do with people not requesting country songs that will actually teach you something instead of just strumming the same four chords over and over.

Did you try out The Allman Brothers pack? It's one of my personal favs.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

super macho dude posted:

I put out for people to request and I'll do a lovely DLC for any goon.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OhDearGodNo posted:

Spacemen 3 - Losing Touch With My Mind

drat I would love that even though it's pretty simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-9KMntkpo

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Plenty of old country has some seriously excellent stuff going on in it; as an unabashed Buck Owens fan, I would love to groove to some Bakersfield sound. With a Nudie suit.

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Plenty of old country has some seriously excellent stuff going on in it; as an unabashed Buck Owens fan, I would love to groove to some Bakersfield sound. With a Nudie suit.

See, that's what I'm talking about! It's not really helpful unless you put in a request through the app.

http://blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-2014-song-request/

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
What i really want is for Rocksmith to do cross-promotions with other games and get a bunch of tracks from various game OSTs in it. Other than just as customs, i mean.

Xaq
Nov 7, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

What i really want is for Rocksmith to do cross-promotions with other games and get a bunch of tracks from various game OSTs in it. Other than just as customs, i mean.

I would pay double for Hell March. :ussr:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

I've thought this would make fantastic DLC-bait since RS1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjixJzFNZPk

Also, I rather like the use of slides into bends in this (which I think is recorded in C#)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ArNlI5PZSs

edit: ^^^^ What Xaq said. Hell March would own.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

Xaq posted:

I would pay double for Hell March. :ussr:

There's a CDLC for Hell March on CustomsForge. The bass part is fun/feels accurate, not sure about guitar.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I remember that EVH song from the end credits of Twister

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Tom Petty Song Pack - $11.99

* “Free Fallin’” – E Standard– Lead/Bass; Capo Required – Rhythm/Alt Lead
* “Learning To Fly” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
* “Refugee” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
* “American Girl” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
* “I Won’t Back Down” – E Standard – Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass; Open G – Lead”

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Anyone had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 not recognizing the cable in Windows 8.1?

I upgraded my PC this weekend and moved from Win7 to Win8.1 When I plug in the Rocksmith cable it appears in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers as "hocksmit" with a ! for troubleshooting needed.

The troubleshooter tries to find a driver and fails.

Rocksmith2014 reports the cable is unplugged.

The same cable worked fine with Win7. :confused:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Exodor posted:

Anyone had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 not recognizing the cable in Windows 8.1?

I upgraded my PC this weekend and moved from Win7 to Win8.1 When I plug in the Rocksmith cable it appears in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers as "hocksmit" with a ! for troubleshooting needed.

Have you uninstalled the driver and tried plugging it back in to reinstall it?

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Exodor posted:

Try disabling USB 3.0 in your BIOS.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

brnai posted:

Try disabling USB 3.0 in your BIOS.

Yeah I spent forever trying to troubleshoot my cable not working with my new pc, and it turned out that was what I had to do.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I just wanna say that I finally got Bachsmith and it owns.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

I just wanna say that I finally got Bachsmith and it owns.

dooo deeeee dooooooo de do de do de doo dee dooo
dee do de deeee do de deeeeeee de de deeee doo etc

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
This is going to sound incredibly dorky, but I'd love some arrangements of old 8-bit game music. Awesome bass lines for days.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
There's lots of tracks like that on CustomsForge, but the problem is that the songs are usually very repetitive and long. This Green Hill Zone track is cool. It's also 7 minutes long. Same thing with most of the Final Fantasy and Zelda tracks I've tried.

But hey, if you find one you like, definitely give it a recommendation and post it here!

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
So I'm tempted to get this for the Xbone, is it worth getting along with a £70ish guitar or should I save up for a bit and get a better guitar to go with it?

Amazon is recommending this guitar to go with it, which I assume is a piece of crap but seeing as I can't play guitar (yet...) would this actually make much of a difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockburn-ST-Style-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001V69ZTY/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_h__img_y

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Your first guitar should be at least a good one, something like that will sound awful, have cheap construction quality, and likely break easily.

For a strat style at least grab a squier.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Fake Name posted:

So I'm tempted to get this for the Xbone, is it worth getting along with a £70ish guitar or should I save up for a bit and get a better guitar to go with it?

Amazon is recommending this guitar to go with it, which I assume is a piece of crap but seeing as I can't play guitar (yet...) would this actually make much of a difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockburn-ST-Style-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001V69ZTY/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_h__img_y

Get to a guitar store and try some different ones in your price range to at least see what you are comfortable with. Buying sight unseen is basically a gamble, and with rock bottom no-name guitar brands that is an even bigger one likely to end in your frustration.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Get to a guitar store and try some different ones in your price range to at least see what you are comfortable with. Buying sight unseen is basically a gamble, and with rock bottom no-name guitar brands that is an even bigger one likely to end in your frustration.

That or a lot of people in the guitar threads suggest Rondo Music: http://www.rondomusic.com/ Generally, you want to look at the Agile line (highest quality they make). I went a step down with the Douglas line, and am 100% pleased.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 9, 2014

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

Cool, thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely look into the guitar a bit more.

Would I also be right in saying that there's little point in getting this without a sound system or headphones to plug it through as the lag for audio through the tv will be terrible?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fake Name posted:

Cool, thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely look into the guitar a bit more.

Would I also be right in saying that there's little point in getting this without a sound system or headphones to plug it through as the lag for audio through the tv will be terrible?

huh?

No there's no lag if you hook up the audio they way they say to, and even then there is correction for it.

To add, if you do go with Agile do not get the SX series.

I would highly suggest a lower end Epiphone or Squier. What's your budget?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

No there's no lag if you hook up the audio they way they say to, and even then there is correction for it.

To add, if you do go with Agile do not get the SX series.

SX is the lowest tier series of the Rondo Guitars, whereas the Agile is the best. They are completely exclusive of one another, there is no Agile SX.

Also, any lag can be compensated for---the game is made to run on the TVs nowadays. This isn't the first generation of guitar hero where HD was pushing the envelop. It shouldn't be a concern for you at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is no audio lag correction. There is video lag correction. You have to hook the sound up correctly.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

Ah sorry, misunderstood the Rocksmith website which recommended putting the audio to an external sound system or something that wasn't the tv...

My budget is about £100 for a cheap guitar, which unfortunately puts Rondo out of the picture as shipping is like $100...

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Fake Name posted:

Don't get a Squier Bullet or Affinity strat and always play an Epiphone before buying because their quality control is questionable. You'd be better of with a £110 monoprice guitar than those options.

If you want a strat go for a Squier Vintage Modified or Yamaha Pacifica. For rocksmith you're best off with a bridge humbucker too to avoid signal noise unless you plan to buy a proper amp and love that single coil clean tone in which case you probably know exactly what you're looking for and have a much bigger budget.

Yamaha pacifica 112
Squier VM Strat

Rondo are no use in the UK, shipping with a mandatory hardcase doubles the price and if it gets damaged in transit you'll have a hassle getting your money back. Check out a local store and try different ones. subtle changes in neck shape can make a high end instrument completely unplayable for some people.

If you're set on ordering online some good sites include. https://www.gak.co.uk https://www.andertons.co and http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk The last one has some amazing deals though anything in the £100 range is going to suck without a lot of work. Full re-wire, new pickups, replace some hardware and for the love of all that is holy do not buy a guitar with a tremolo in that price range unless it's second hand, sold by an idiot and has WILKINSON or FENDER stamped into the metal.Even then it's a bad gamble.

Check the guitar megathread for more details. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341553

Also this thread to show you the horrors of guitars starring the Ibanez JEM. Though RGA's can be drat good. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597233

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yes, you need to hook up the sound to an external sound system. HDMI is too slow for instant playback.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dead Pressed posted:

SX is the lowest tier series of the Rondo Guitars, whereas the Agile is the best. They are completely exclusive of one another, there is no Agile SX.

Also, any lag can be compensated for---the game is made to run on the TVs nowadays. This isn't the first generation of guitar hero where HD was pushing the envelop. It shouldn't be a concern for you at all.

I will add to this that you can get lucky, my SX bass and SX banjo are awesome. The bass could probably use new pickups since Rocksmith always thinks it's too quiet, but screw it, it's gotten me through well over a hundred hours of play time pretty admirably.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

Cool - I'll do a bit more research and head down to the local music shop before I do anything else then. Thanks all!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I went with a Squier Bullet and its served me well so far. It seems to hold its tune and for me, its a lot easier to play than my steel string acoustic.

I agree with others and would say run the audio directly out to your stereo, rather than going through the HDMI out. If you can get behind the idea, I would even go so far as to suggest just hooking up a pair of headphones instead.

I bought the PC/Mac version to run on my Macbook Pro, so it's a lot easier for me to plug in a set of headphones. I swear I play best through my nice Audio Technica headphones. After playing with headphones, I went and played the game through the my stereo system's speakers and through HDMI out. (my kid wanted to see the game in action)

I played like such poo poo when going through speakers/HDMI.

---

So I was curious and wanted to see if I could use the RS cable with regular music production tools. Turns out that you can! It's so much fun to noodle around in Guitar Rig, stacking effect upon effect to make awesome tones. The RS cable also works with Garage Band, too.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
It also works (with the Camera/USB adapter cable) in the iPad version of Garageband.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dead Pressed posted:

That or a lot of people in the guitar threads suggest Rondo Music: http://www.rondomusic.com/ Generally, you want to look at the Agile line (highest quality they make). I went a step down with the Douglas line, and am 100% pleased.

I did not suggest Rondo because he is outside of North America.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

I remember that EVH song from the end credits of Twister

That's the one. First time I heard it I fell in love with it. So good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

awesmoe posted:

dooo deeeee dooooooo de do de do de doo dee dooo
dee do de deeee do de deeeeeee de de deeee doo etc

Little Fugue in G Minor, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sire Oblivion posted:

Little Fugue in G Minor, right?
That's the one. At first the kinda lovely metal tone put me off, but I'm really enjoying playing it - I'm finding it challenging but not impossible, I'm at like 90% and slowly improving. I like that when I start missing notes it's because I'm doing something dumb like stretching for things when I should be moving my hand, or it's just a bit fast and so I have break out riff repeater etc. Doesn't hurt that it's an incredible piece of music. It's probably my most played track by now I think.