Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
So I'm finally giving FFX blitzball a try. If I'd known it was this easy, I'd have started years ago.

My current preferred team lineup is:

LF: Tidus
RF: Wedge
MF: Brother
LD: Zanitz
RD: Ropp
GL: Jumal

I've beaten just about everybody except the Al Bhed team (they managed to hold me to a 0-0 draw) and I'm working on my first League title win. Has anyone got any suggestions on team lineup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you wait until you can get brother yeah it's super easy, he's kinda broken. That in conjunction with Tidus and Wedge and you should win any low level games.

You can keep resetting blitzball stats to get everyone back to level 1 too and make sure they stay the best. That way you can reset until the prize you want pops up.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zero Star posted:

So I'm finally giving FFX blitzball a try. If I'd known it was this easy, I'd have started years ago.

My current preferred team lineup is:

LF: Tidus
RF: Wedge
MF: Brother
LD: Zanitz
RD: Ropp
GL: Jumal

I've beaten just about everybody except the Al Bhed team (they managed to hold me to a 0-0 draw) and I'm working on my first League title win. Has anyone got any suggestions on team lineup?

Hope that the Psyches let one of their strikers go without renewing their contract and then go snap them up right away. If nothing else that will make them considerably easier to beat. Still, even with the team you have you'll probably be finishing most matches in the 4-0 and up region. Blitzball became something of a slow slog for me at the end.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
They rebalanced Blitzball for the HD Remaster, so it's significantly harder than the original game in that you can't just put Wedge in goal and watch him catch everything. Also, they nerfed Wedge and buffed the other teams (specifically the Luca Goers) so that he has to be much higher level to be an effective steel wall over the goalposts/backfield.

That buff is also why the story match is a pain in the rear end now, if you don't spend the first half just passing the ball around to level up your team and stop the Goers from getting any levels.

Varance fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 7, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=732681440139854&id=173822029359134

It looks like Theatrhythm is getting Bravely Default DLC(In Japan at least) I think. Can anyone give a more accurate translation than Google?

Oh good. Hopefully when they get around to releasing those outside Japan, they'll also release Krile alongside them.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Varance posted:

Also, they nerfed Wedge and buffed the other teams (specifically the Luca Goers) so that he has to be much higher level to be an effective steel wall over the goalposts/backfield.
Haha, my first game since the story match (I waited til I'd beaten Sin on the airship before even touching blitzball) was a 4-0 win over the Goers. :v:

And, wait, the Wedge I'm using in the HD remaster is nerfed? He's a friggin' beast in the goalscoring department, and leads the scorers list in my current league by an absolute mile.

Mind you, the Kilika Beasts were nice enough to let me beat them 11-0 twice. Tackle their midfielder, take the ball, give it to Wedge, shoot, score, repeat.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Hope that the Psyches let one of their strikers go without renewing their contract and then go snap them up right away. If nothing else that will make them considerably easier to beat. Still, even with the team you have you'll probably be finishing most matches in the 4-0 and up region. Blitzball became something of a slow slog for me at the end.
A striker would be nice (Tidus is kinda meh except for the Jecht Shot), but I'm more interested in getting the Psyches' keeper. Nimrook or something. She was the sole reason I failed to score in that 0-0 draw.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Zero Star posted:

A striker would be nice (Tidus is kinda meh except for the Jecht Shot), but I'm more interested in getting the Psyches' keeper. Nimrook or something. She was the sole reason I failed to score in that 0-0 draw.
Nimrook is statistically the best goalie in the whole game, so yeah he's a must-get when available.

If you're not resetting blitz data, I found Linna to be really good (an al bhed girl on the road to Macalania temple). She starts off knowing Nap Shot 3, and once she gets enough HP to use it she becomes an unstoppable force. She was gaining EXP at a crazy rate and outleveled everyone by a huge margin when I was done.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=732681440139854&id=173822029359134

It looks like Theatrhythm is getting Bravely Default DLC(In Japan at least) I think. Can anyone give a more accurate translation than Google?

Do we know if it's just the songs or are they adding BD characters as party members too?

Because this owns but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Edea "Mgrgrgr"ing on the main menu.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't realize FF14 Cid is Jeff bridges

The Cid abides.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

There is also also have major restructuring in order to produce more games with modest scopes. It's why they've looked into middleware technologies, such as Unity and UE4, to help with development.

I don't know about anyone else but this is the most positive thing I took away from this. I'm glad to hear that SE is moving their Japanese studios away from only cutting edge tech games and going for games with a more modest scope. I'd love to see them return to yearly RPG entries that might not have FF15-level graphics but still look and play well. Even if we just see them on handheld devices or as $15 entries on PSN/XBL, it'd be a nice breath of fresh air from a company that has constantly stuttered on delivering pie-in-the-sky overwrought concepts for a decade.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
How does one get a Species Conquest monstro

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Varance posted:

They rebalanced Blitzball for the HD Remaster, so it's significantly harder than the original game in that you can't just put Wedge in goal and watch him catch everything. Also, they nerfed Wedge and buffed the other teams (specifically the Luca Goers) so that he has to be much higher level to be an effective steel wall over the goalposts/backfield.

That buff is also why the story match is a pain in the rear end now, if you don't spend the first half just passing the ball around to level up your team and stop the Goers from getting any levels.

They didn't do a very good job then because I think it took about two matches before I was steamrolling everyone 8 - 0, same as usual.

VVVV There are but those two and Tidus should carry you through pretty much anything. Recruit Wakka back in for a laugh!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 8, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Speaking of Blitzball, I've only ever played the Luca Goers plot game. I've got the OG Besaid Aurochs and Brother at the moment and I'm in the Calm Lands, is there any other good player I should go scope while I'm being an idiot and getting Auron's Celestial Weapon to maximum before Zanarkand?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

alcharagia posted:

Speaking of Blitzball, I've only ever played the Luca Goers plot game. I've got the OG Besaid Aurochs and Brother at the moment and I'm in the Calm Lands, is there any other good player I should go scope while I'm being an idiot and getting Auron's Celestial Weapon to maximum before Zanarkand?

There isn't much you can do if you're just in the Calm Lands, and not that many players you can scout (I can't remember if you're allowed to go to Guadosalam at this stage. I don't believe so.). Might as well get your Blitzball going after Zanarkand.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
How the gently caress did the Aurochs win that plot game against the Psyches. Nimrook. Nimrook

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Racism's a hell of a drug

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

alcharagia posted:

How the gently caress did the Aurochs win that plot game against the Psyches. Nimrook. Nimrook

They were a higher level, but Wakka reset data immediately afterwards.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even the 1899 Cleaveland Spiders (20-134, 24 of those losses in a row), who are in the running for the worst major league professional sport team in the history of ever, won a few games.
:goonsay:

quote:

In June, Baltimore pitcher Jerry Nops showed up for a game against Cleveland with a hangover and was battered for one of the Spiders' few wins. Orioles manager John McGraw fined and suspended Nops, and the embarrassed Orioles won the next game by a score of 21 to 6. Word around the league was that teams worked extra hard to beat the Spiders to avoid losing to the worst team in baseball history.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
wanna give a personal shoutout to the al bhed psyches. the shoutout is gently caress you

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I got FF V on iOS a while ago on sale but never played it. Decided to break it out today to check it out on my iPad and my God, it is simply hideous.

Backgrounds are terrible with visible lines between tiles. Character sprites are all smoothed out and flat. What the hell happened here?

Apparently the original artist did the new updated tiles which is mind-boggling. I guess music is OK and enemy art is pretty nice. Oh, forgot about the font and textbox. They are very generic. I see though where Square got their bright ideas for the VI port from.

I have a GBA jpn cart somewhere lying around, time to find it.

Edit: huh, it's NA cart, thought I sold that.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 8, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

wanna give a personal shoutout to the al bhed psyches. the shoutout is gently caress you

I seriously wish I could arrange an "accident" for them when they're aboard the airship. Just so I could get Nimrook on my team and win everything.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

alcharagia posted:

Nimrook was busy catching Yuna

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

oblomov posted:

I got FF V on iOS a while ago on sale but never played it. Decided to break it out today to check it out on my iPad and my God, it is simply hideous.

Backgrounds are terrible with visible lines between tiles. Character sprites are all smoothed out and flat. What the hell happened here?

Apparently the original artist did the new updated tiles which is mind-boggling. I guess music is OK and enemy art is pretty nice. Oh, forgot about the font and textbox. They are very generic. I see though where Square got their bright ideas for the VI port from.

I have a GBA jpn cart somewhere lying around, time to find it.

Edit: huh, it's NA cart, thought I sold that.

The FFD guys basically run the remakes through a modified(?) version of the engine they used for FFD, with only the slightly edits to the FFD sprites. It's the most generic RPG Maker looking poo poo possible.

I actually have to wonder if Square itself is responsible for the remakes not using the original models at all. FF:RK that Mobage put out in Japan has new sprites for all of the characters in it, though most of them look like their original ones for the most part (Kid Rydia is the clearly exception). At first it looks like they just have different ready/casting icons but when you look closer you can see they all appear to use the same post when standing idle. It's really weird and mabe they just wanted uniformity but at least it's not the lazy eyesore like with the FF5 and FF6 remakes.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Against all advice from this thread, I've started playing FFXIII on PC. I'm about 6 hours in now and - surprisingly - it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, though to be fair I was expecting basically a video game simulation of the Holocaust. The funneled gameplay is definitely starting to get on my nerves, but the story has been pretty intriguing thus far. It's still far from my favourite FF, but also not my least favourite (which was FFXII).

Something that I am apparently not 'getting' so far, though, is the fighting system. I just fought some big plant robot boss (in the glowy blue forest), and it took me three tries and about an hour to take it down. My initial plan was to switch between paradigms - healing when necessary, then back to exploiting elemental weaknesses and slashing when able. It never worked. Any time I switched into both characters attacking, I'd have to almost immediately switch back to the attack/heal combination. In the end, my strategy was "stick Lightning permanently in attack mode and Hope on heal mode and mash enter". Ten minutes of boring enter mashing later and the battle was won. The stagger bar never got close to full.

So what am I getting wrong about the paradigm system? Is (as I fear) the battle system just pure poo poo, or is there something I should be doing differently?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

ozza posted:

Something that I am apparently not 'getting' so far, though, is the fighting system. I just fought some big plant robot boss (in the glowy blue forest), and it took me three tries and about an hour to take it down. My initial plan was to switch between paradigms - healing when necessary, then back to exploiting elemental weaknesses and slashing when able. It never worked. Any time I switched into both characters attacking, I'd have to almost immediately switch back to the attack/heal combination. In the end, my strategy was "stick Lightning permanently in attack mode and Hope on heal mode and mash enter". Ten minutes of boring enter mashing later and the battle was won. The stagger bar never got close to full.

So what am I getting wrong about the paradigm system? Is (as I fear) the battle system just pure poo poo, or is there something I should be doing differently?

Are you using buffs? It sounds like you're not using Hope's Synergist role. Protect and the Bar spells make a big difference in that fight. Seriously, buffs and debuffs are 100% mandatory in this game if you want to get done with fights in a reasonable amount of time.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Veks posted:

Are you using buffs? It sounds like you're not using Hope's Synergist role. Protect and the Bar spells make a big difference in that fight. Seriously, buffs and debuffs are 100% mandatory in this game if you want to get done with fights in a reasonable amount of time.

This in stark contrast to previous Final Fantasies, where buffs and debuffs are generally an amusing waste of time.

With how much poo poo FFXIII gets, it's weird to encounter its positive qualities. But it totally does have some, I swear.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Veks posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advice. I just assumed that, like in all other Final Fantasies, all buffs except Regen would be a waste of time.

Edit: as a gesture of my appreciation, please accept this clip of the moment that put me on the verge of shutting down the game and deleting it from my hard drive forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itYR_y6QrU Dialogue has never been a strength of FF games, but the problem has intensified since the switch to using voice actors - I bet if this line appeared only as text it would have slid by without any trouble. As it was, though.......... what a horrid moment.

ozza fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 8, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

CeallaSo posted:

This in stark contrast to previous Final Fantasies, where buffs and debuffs are generally an amusing waste of time.

With how much poo poo FFXIII gets, it's weird to encounter its positive qualities. But it totally does have some, I swear.

Well, the only exception is haste. Also protect/shell are paramount to not dying in FFIV DS, that game is balls hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ozza posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advice. I just assumed that, like in all other Final Fantasies, all buffs except Regen would be a waste of time.

Edit: as a gesture of my appreciation, please accept this clip of the moment that put me on the verge of shutting down the game and deleting it from my hard drive forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itYR_y6QrU Dialogue has never been a strength of FF games, but the problem has intensified since the switch to using voice actors - I bet if this line appeared only as text it would have slid by without any trouble. As it was, though.......... what a horrid moment.
is the line really that bad? It's dumb and cheesy, especially considering what it's followed by, but I don't get why people act like it's the worst thing ever and gave them cancer. It's just a kind of lame line.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah buffs and debuffs are essential in FF XIII, you won't get anywhere without them. You can even poison the final boss and it's a really handy godsend. It's about the one thing FF XIII does well really, because the other games in the series teach you bad habits where you were better off healing or doing pure damage than trying to weaken or strengthen your characters.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Endorph posted:

is the line really that bad? It's dumb and cheesy, especially considering what it's followed by, but I don't get why people act like it's the worst thing ever and gave them cancer. It's just a kind of lame line.

All I can tell you is that I encountered that line without knowing that it was famous on the internet as terrible, and independently thought it stunk. It's a clunky phrase to begin with, and combined with the weird dramatic zoom in (and repetition later) it was especially cringe worthy. From what I understand after some brief research that line was directly translated from the Japanese, which itself was part of a set idiom in Japanese. In conclusion: it gave me cancer and was the worst thing ever

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Furthering my theory that people decide to hate or love a game usually based on one tiny element of it, and not the entire game as a whole. For example, I usually love games that give you non-lethal options.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Furthering my theory that people decide to hate or love a game usually based on one tiny element of it, and not the entire game as a whole. For example, I usually love games that give you non-lethal options.

My housemate does this, only with just the hate bit, and I find it absolutely infuriating.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

It's actually the best line in the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ozza posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

It's actually the best line in the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I found the line slightly endearing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The line was basically a nothing in Japanese other than the usual long-term goal pun around her name, but almost everyone was so bad in English that it added to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CeallaSo posted:

Someone's not playing FFV Four Job Fiesta.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone's not playing FFV Four Job Fiesta.

I too agree that when playing the game in an incredibly restrictive way, skills that are generally useless for typical play become much more important because they are your only options.

Also you've done nothing to disprove the point; 5 (depending on how you play it), maybe 10, and 13 are the only games in the series where buffs and debuffs are actually legitimately important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't give 13 too much credit for that since it's less strategic and thoughtful use of debilitating abilities, and more a giant flashing neon sign saying USE DEPROTECT ON THIS GUY IDIOT