Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Syjefroi posted:

I am only half sure this is a software thing, but I might as well ask: If I have a pdf or set of pdfs I want to send to someone, is there an app or a service that lets the recipient view and print the document, but only once? As opposed to sending a copy of the file, just a way for them to print the file one time.

Are you trying to reinvent the fax machine, in TYOOL 2014?

e: gently caress, newpage. Content.

Oh, yeah. Something that's been bugging me at work. We have a bunch of different vlans set up, each with different firewall rules. Windows gets one vlan, servers get one, VOIP gets one, linux desktops (and macs) another. Now we're moving into running poo poo on VMs. Because people are old and don't want to change how our network's done things since the universe was in black and white, windows VMs are set up with a virtual NIC on the OS-specific vlan. I have a linux box somewhere that runs some Windows VMs, but I'd like to get them running on the mac, so I can support our mac users who want to do the same.

In linux, /etc/network/interfaces gets set up as follows:

code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto vlan102
iface vlan102 inet manual
    vlan-raw-device eth0

auto br102
iface br102 inet manual
    bridge_ports vlan102
    bridge_maxwait 0
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_stp off
All I then have to do is set the VM's mac address and tell it to use br102 as the network device. It does DHCP and PXE-boots to the right server based on that.

I've tried configuring a vlan102 virtual interface off the mac's ethernet interface (en0), but it comes back with a self-assigned IP. I know I'm missing something, but I don't know enough about networking to know what I'm missing; I think what I'm getting from the linux setup is just enough to gently caress things up royally.

What I'm after is a way to get a VM bridged to the outside world that presents with its own MAC address on vlan102, while the mac itself talks to the network on vlan54.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

gnrk posted:

So, I haven't heard any reports back from anyone who has installed this. What's the verdict? Is there a verdict? I suppose if it was bricking machines, I would've heard something...

Seems to not be horrible. I'm not sure I wouldn't have just waited for the final release, but I came home from work a couple nights ago to find that it had auto-installed while I was gone.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Ashex posted:

I've noticed that sometimes when the system is at a high cpu load everything will slowly lock up forcing me to do a hard reboot. Has anyone encountered this on Yosemite?

What's causing the high CPU load?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

chimz posted:

The first few times this happened I was installing a package with macports. Last night however there actually wasn't a high cpu load but the laptop was definitely working pretty hard (stupid loud fan) as I was copying a bunch of files over wireless (running at about 200Mbps) to an external drive.

Generally starts with Finder locking up (spinning wheel) then slowly other apps stop responding.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyone see printing issues with Parallels on Yosemite? I'll preface by saying I don't know Macs as well as I should, but I was supporting a user who "couldn't print." He's running Windows 7 on Parallels, and his OS X is on Yosemite. This person exclusively uses his Windows side and I don't know why he doesn't just have a Windows machine, but that's an aside.

Anyway - the issue was coming up when he submitted a print job from his Windows Parallels VM. The print job would go through, but once it printed, it wasn't coming out of the queue. Another print job could be submitted, and it would work too, but again, it'd stay in the queue, as "Sent to printer."

I looked at his Mac side and I saw an equal number of print jobs queued up for that same printer, with one of them in the initial stages. The printer was showing as In Use and was basically stuck if he had tried to print from the Mac.

So, unbeknownst to me, Parallels apparently hands print jobs off to the Mac machine instead of handling them itself, which is weird to me given that this was actually a network printer, not USB.

Does any of this sound familiar? I'll need to do some more troubleshooting later - he could print from both machines when I left, but that was only because I just removed and readded the machine on his Mac end. I assume the problem will just continue as it currently is.
I've had printing issues like that before with VMware, I don't even bother with the print integration now. Especially since you have a network printer, you might as well just set it up from within the VM to print directly itself rather than go through Parallels/OS X.

Syjefroi posted:

I am only half sure this is a software thing, but I might as well ask: If I have a pdf or set of pdfs I want to send to someone, is there an app or a service that lets the recipient view and print the document, but only once? As opposed to sending a copy of the file, just a way for them to print the file one time.
Might be possible with some type of Adobe or other random DRM crap but that's all I can think of, I just remember that type of stuff from occasionally buying ebooks for school before. Course they can just make copies of what they printed, or circumvent the DRM depending on the type.

Ashex posted:

The first few times this happened I was installing a package with macports. Last night however there actually wasn't a high cpu load but the laptop was definitely working pretty hard (stupid loud fan) as I was copying a bunch of files over wireless (running at about 200Mbps) to an external drive.

Generally starts with Finder locking up (spinning wheel) then slowly other apps stop responding.
High load alone shouldn't do it, not like you're describing at least. I've seen it occasionally before going back to previous versions but hell if I know the reason usually...it did happen to me recently in Yosemite though. When I was doing stuff with SSL certs the trust dialog and security confirm box when accepting one progressively locked things up for whatever reason. I caught it the second time in the middle of happening by killing the security popup and everything suddenly became active again.

In your case who knows, check console and see if there's any clues there. My wild guess is that something important barfed during the transfer, and as each app tried to access whatever that is they locked up and locked up other stuff that relied on them and so on, could've been something with the networking or storage going by your task there.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

chimz posted:

Speaking of this, has anyone else encountered the windowserver process just running away with the CPU (causing window switching to be slow, etc) after like a day of use, requiring a reboot?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ambushsabre posted:

Speaking of this, has anyone else encountered the windowserver process just running away with the CPU (causing window switching to be slow, etc) after like a day of use, requiring a reboot?

Yeah I've got the same thing. Really curious about what's going on.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ambushsabre posted:

I haven't seen the high CPU usage but last week everything was swapping like crazy and I saw it had used up 55GB of memory.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What's the best solution for automatically updating the metadata on video files? I've been converting a bunch of my old DVDs and while iFlicks 2 is usually pretty good about finding the information online, it's not very reliable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man is Yosemite's Mail.app an absolute nightmare with Gmail for anyone else? I've got a 50/50 chance of Google's SMTP server being unavailable, according to Mail. It's absolutely fine on my other Yosemite machine on the exact same network so I can't figure it out. When I run diagnostics it seems to connect to Gmail just fine.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Martytoof posted:

Man is Yosemite's Mail.app an absolute nightmare with Gmail for anyone else? I've got a 50/50 chance of Google's SMTP server being unavailable, according to Mail. It's absolutely fine on my other Yosemite machine on the exact same network so I can't figure it out. When I run diagnostics it seems to connect to Gmail just fine.

I have a personal and work Gmail account and haven't had any major problems. The only thing that pisses me off is that Mail sounds the new message notification for all labels, whether the message hits the inbox or not. Argh.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm looking for a piece of software which will allow me to right click on a file in Finder, choose a 'send to Amazon S3' option, which will then upload my file to my S3 bucket and create a url that I can share.

Does anyone know if such a piece of software exists for OS X?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I'm looking for a piece of software which will allow me to right click on a file in Finder, choose a 'send to Amazon S3' option, which will then upload my file to my S3 bucket and create a url that I can share.

You can do this with Dropzone just without the right clicking thing. You'd have to drag the file to the menu bar but from there on, it can do everything else you want.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
If I have an encrypted thumb drive I use for backups - can I set the permission of "everyone" to "no access" if I have my own uid, system, and wheel set to Read and Write?

I'm not sure how OSX will handle this.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ambushsabre posted:

I have, but only when some unknown thing happens and VMWare Fusion starts using AppNap. Quitting and restarting Fusion fixes it for me.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have, but only when some unknown thing happens and VMWare Fusion starts using AppNap. Quitting and restarting Fusion fixes it for me.

An app going into App Nap shouldn't cause windowserver to go ballistic.... if you see this, can you take a sysdiagnose while the problem is occurring, file a bug, and post the bug number here?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I haven't done precisely this but I have done similar things using Automator.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ambushsabre posted:

I've had it happen, but only after many days of uptime, and quitting CrashPlan always fixes it for me. Since it seems to happen to people in a variety of circumstances I guess there's something buggy in WindowServer that various apps are triggering.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Choadmaster posted:

I've had it happen, but only after many days of uptime, and quitting CrashPlan always fixes it for me. Since it seems to happen to people in a variety of circumstances I guess there's something buggy in WindowServer that various apps are triggering.

This must be it, except I don't have any of the apps listed so I'm going to have to do it via experimentation. This is going to be fun!

edit: after some experimentation, it looks like Day One might have been causing the issue, which would make sense since I only fire that up around once a day.

e2: looks like Twitter was the worst offender, and actually the one effecting the cmd-tab animation.

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2014

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since iOS 8 was released, I've noticed a lot of people sending iMessages from their email address. Because of this, I've accidentally addressed iMessages to email addresses, breaking long running threads with friends. I really like iMessage, but I don't understand how Apple gets account management so incredibly wrong. I get that not everyone has an iDevice with a phone number, but if Macs and iPads can send messages "from" a phone number, why the hell would Apple ever make the email address visible for someone who does?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Roobsa posted:

You can do this with Dropzone just without the right clicking thing. You'd have to drag the file to the menu bar but from there on, it can do everything else you want.

This is awesome - thanks!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Since iOS 8 was released, I've noticed a lot of people sending iMessages from their email address. Because of this, I've accidentally addressed iMessages to email addresses, breaking long running threads with friends. I really like iMessage, but I don't understand how Apple gets account management so incredibly wrong. I get that not everyone has an iDevice with a phone number, but if Macs and iPads can send messages "from" a phone number, why the hell would Apple ever make the email address visible for someone who does?

The "from" address is determined by the user in their settings. Tell your friends to change it to their phone number. AFAIK iOS 8 / Yosemite didn't mess with those settings in any way. Mine are all still my phone number.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

If I have an encrypted thumb drive I use for backups - can I set the permission of "everyone" to "no access" if I have my own uid, system, and wheel set to Read and Write?

I'm not sure how OSX will handle this.

You can, but it may not work like you're expecting. Your UID is not unique to your Mac - for example, I'm logged into my account which is UID 502. If I made a flash drive configured the way you said, my account could access the data but other accounts could not. However, when I gave you the drive, the account on your machine which has UID 502 will have read/write access. Likewise on other Macs. The root account will also always be able to change the permissions.

This is all assuming I can get the drive mounted. If it's encrypted, I'll be asked for a password before any of that stuff happens, and if I don't have that then I'm SOL at accessing the data on that drive.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Choadmaster posted:

They can't print the file without a copy of the file. And in some world where such magic was possible, they could just print your magic document to PDF. Or more old-fashionedly use one of those magic replicators at Kinko's that can clone sets of paper documents.

A few of the major sheet music websites (not publishers) let you buy a leadsheet with a one-time print option. Anyone could easily screen cap or scan their printed file, definitely, but most people don't bother or care. But they never got a copy of the original pdf. Regardless, I'm thinking I should be looking for a site instead of an app.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

You can, but it may not work like you're expecting. Your UID is not unique to your Mac - for example, I'm logged into my account which is UID 502. If I made a flash drive configured the way you said, my account could access the data but other accounts could not. However, when I gave you the drive, the account on your machine which has UID 502 will have read/write access. Likewise on other Macs. The root account will also always be able to change the permissions.

This is all assuming I can get the drive mounted. If it's encrypted, I'll be asked for a password before any of that stuff happens, and if I don't have that then I'm SOL at accessing the data on that drive.

Aha, thank you. My main concern was locking myself out of the drive somehow before even being given a chance to authenticate with password.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

The "from" address is determined by the user in their settings. Tell your friends to change it to their phone number. AFAIK iOS 8 / Yosemite didn't mess with those settings in any way. Mine are all still my phone number.

Does it still make separate threads if you actually have the phone number and the email address set for that contact?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Roobsa posted:

Is there something like this which also supports Google App Engine's Cloud Storage buckets? Or is Amazon S3 just that much more convenient to develop for and cheaper to use? I'm not sure if my Google Apps for Business domain includes a pay as much as you use virtually unlimited Google Drive or not. Probably not.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Choadmaster posted:

I know how it works; I'm saying the way it works is stupid. I can think of no reason why anyone with a phone number would ever want messages to be sent from their email address.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chimz posted:

An app going into App Nap shouldn't cause windowserver to go ballistic.... if you see this, can you take a sysdiagnose while the problem is occurring, file a bug, and post the bug number here?
I should have added, it appears to be a thing with only 2011 iMacs, running Windows (in the VM) and only with Fusion version 7. Haven't had the problem for a few weeks and I don't use Fusion often, but Windows would just see tons of system interrupts, and basically nothing would progress unless you moved the mouse or pressed keys. Parallels users reported a similar problem with a bunch of ACPI-related errors.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Does it still make separate threads if you actually have the phone number and the email address set for that contact?

A quick look through my iPad messages app indicates yes, it still does. I'm not sure it could safely merge them in all cases; for people with both their number and email registered for iMessage it certainly should though.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone here have an opinion on superduper vs carbon copy cloner? They both seem to do the same basic job, though SuperDuper's website seems to be stuck in OS X Tiger even if the software's still being actively maintained.

edit: one feature that might be cool is to automatically copy to the drive some stuff mounted on external drives, on top of mirroring the internal drive. Anyone know if either handles this well?

MrBond fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I just started using the new CCC 4.0 for my local backups and it's great.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I use CCC 4.0 and I chose it because I like the idea that CCC is very confirmed to be validated against today's MacOS which use Volume Groups, more extra attributes, Fusion Drive, and more which weren't in use before whatever era Superduper's web design originated from.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrBond posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on superduper vs carbon copy cloner? They both seem to do the same basic job, though SuperDuper's website seems to be stuck in OS X Tiger even if the software's still being actively maintained.

edit: one feature that might be cool is to automatically copy to the drive some stuff mounted on external drives, on top of mirroring the internal drive. Anyone know if either handles this well?
Hell I do something similar with one of my backup routines in CCC if I'm understanding you there, basically you'd make one backup task the copy external stuff -> internal, then another doing a clone of the internal, and then in the first task you set it to follow up with the second one. That's a new thing in CCC 4 that makes things shitloads easier for me since I was doing sequential stuff like that by spacing out tasks by time estimates. (If you meant something like near live drive mirroring/syncing it's not meant for that though)

And one other reason for CCC is just that the support seems pretty good from what I've been able to tell in the past. I remember a support forum or something before where the author helped people work out random tasks before when it was donationware...looks like that's gone (or he was posting on another forum), but there's a support ticket system now. I just used it Sunday afternoon and he got back to me Monday afternoon with some scripts to do what I asked about.

Not that I've heard anything bad about SuperDuper though v:shobon:v

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For me the deal breaker is that if you get an i/o error or bad sector, SuperDuper immediately shits its pants and tells you to get a file recovery utility.

CCC will retry bad sectors and maintain a list of files in its console logs that might be bad because of the errors.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

For me the deal breaker is that if you get an i/o error or bad sector, SuperDuper immediately shits its pants and tells you to get a file recovery utility.

CCC will retry bad sectors and maintain a list of files in its console logs that might be bad because of the errors.

Does CCC create bootable images? Because if it does, that will be the impetus to move from SuperDuper for me. I've only used it a couple of times, but when I needed it, it has saved my rear end. It's really the only thing keeping me on SuperDuper barring a major update.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Before the latest update, regardless of whatever application I was in, if I clicked the finder icon in my sock it would open a new finder window, now, clicking the finder does nothing. Doesn't switch me to the finder, doesn't open a window, nothing. Can someone help me figure out where to make it go back to its old behavior?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

flosofl posted:

Does CCC create bootable images?

It can make bootable backups, yeah. You can't ever boot from an image unless you use some chicanery like TechTool Pro does.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

It can make bootable backups, yeah. You can't ever boot from an image unless you use some chicanery like TechTool Pro does.

Yeah didn't mean image, meant disk.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kobayashi posted:

I know how it works; I'm saying the way it works is stupid. I can think of no reason why anyone with a phone number would ever want messages to be sent from their email address.

Some people think they're more likely to change their phone number than their e-mail address. For example, if someone's idevice is work-provided-equipment.