Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The hilarious part being that all NPC character plots get put on hold when you go to spell hold (or maybe just romances?) so when you come out of the under dark suddenly they all fire off right away as you're being attacked and everything gets hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Now that I'm better at recognizing VAs, I notice them everywhere--Guildmisterss Busya in Trademeet is obviously Jennifer Hale, and Cernd is Boone from New Vegas. (The one that I was still surprised by when I heard about it was Jen Hale also voicing Dynaheir)

e: also obviously Cubert Farnsworth==Maralie Fiddlebender==Aerie, but that's because Kath Soucie is everewhere and has voiced probably hundreds of characters

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 7, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jennifer Hale also voices Mazzy, aka the best paladin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arivia posted:

Jennifer Hale also voices Mazzy, aka the best paladin.

AKA not a paladin at all, and especially not an inquisitor which is the best type of paladin.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I guess it was because Macy Gray was big at the time I started playing BG2 and their portraits and names are very similar, but I have a very strong association between Macy Gray and Mazzy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

AKA not a paladin at all, and especially not an inquisitor which is the best type of paladin.

Arvoreen's faithful include paladins, actually. Mazzy isn't a paladin in BG2 solely because of rules issues: in 2e, only humans can be "actual" paladins (a pretty meaningless distinction with how 2e's classes and subclasses are designed.) Instead, Arvoreenans have holy warrior type support in two forms: the crusader subclass (in Wizards and Priests of the Realms) and trueswords (in Demihuman Deities.) Bioware didn't actually provide that rules support for what Mazzy should canonically be.

In 3e, Arvoreen's knights became definitively paladins. See Champions of Valor and the "Deities Dos and Don'ts" web enhancement for Faiths and Pantheons.

So, no, Mazzy is a paladin - BG2 just didn't support her being one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arivia posted:

Arvoreen's faithful include paladins, actually. Mazzy isn't a paladin in BG2 solely because of rules issues: in 2e, only humans can be "actual" paladins (a pretty meaningless distinction with how 2e's classes and subclasses are designed.) Instead, Arvoreenans have holy warrior type support in two forms: the crusader subclass (in Wizards and Priests of the Realms) and trueswords (in Demihuman Deities.) Bioware didn't actually provide that rules support for what Mazzy should canonically be.

In 3e, Arvoreen's knights became definitively paladins. See Champions of Valor and the "Deities Dos and Don'ts" web enhancement for Faiths and Pantheons.

So, no, Mazzy is a paladin - BG2 just didn't support her being one.

That's my entire point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That's my entire point.

Okay, so you're just being intentionally idiotic. Got it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay, so you're just being intentionally idiotic. Got it.

Yep, I'm an idiot, I've never said anything of use in this thread.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Mazzys pretty great for a mixed alignment party. She doesen't murder viconia like a certain other paladin. Only one she gets mad is Hexxat I think and in my party I was the thief so no big loss.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Anyone have advice on AI scripts for Icewind Dale EE? Defensive Cleric is good in concept but in practice he casts all of his Bless spells in a row before joining combat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Anyone have advice on AI scripts for Icewind Dale EE? Defensive Cleric is good in concept but in practice he casts all of his Bless spells in a row before joining combat.

Don't use AI scripts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skwirl posted:

Don't use AI scripts.

The one that automatically turns your thief's Hide in Shadows/Find Traps back on is a godsend, at least on the BG side. Otherwise I completely agree.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On the VA note, it was pretty awesome having to get that one mercenary drunk during Neera's sidequest and it was clearly a drunk and slurring Tali from Mass Effect.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So did the BG:EE change it so Drizzt and all the other notable good NPCs teleport away if you target them?

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So I hear IWD2 is not very good. Are these rumors to be believed?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

IWD2 is my second favorite behind BG2. Some days I think I actually like it more.

Tastes in IE games are all very individual though

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

CrusherEAGLE posted:

It's pretty good. The combat is a lot more involved and generally more difficult than the other IE games. The rules are different so you have to approach it differently too.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I was also surprised at the dialogue as I remember most people saying it's pretty dry, but so far the little conversations you can have are far more robust than that of BG1. It's not quite PST or anything, but it's nice to have multiple responses that aren't just good/evil/wacky, and several people have even acknowledged that I'm a bard, which is a nice touch. I also thought it was cute that, if you keep talking to the townpeople about rumors, they'll keep piling on problems; the first guy mentions goblins and orcs, the second throws in wolves, the third adds on giants, etc etc.

I'm still catching up on older parts of the thread, but what Wolfsheim said about IWD goes double for IWD2. If you run across a place that has a ghost problem, your generic fighter doesn't get the same possible cool resolution that a Cleric of Bane might get, and the Cleric of Bane's possible resolution is different from that of a less horrible cleric. Paladins and I think Monks, if they're party leaders, refuse rewards because their respective codes require it (from a powergaming perspective I guess this is bad but I love it as a flavor thing). I remember some dialogues specifically for bards and even for duergar. None of this vastly changes the course of the game, but I love poo poo like that, evidence that somewhere in the nested dialogue trees is an option coded specifically for what I did at character creation, and for that I'll always enjoy IWD2.

Also I said this like a page ago, but since you just asked for IWD2 opinions, the music is awesome, and so are the soundsets.

Also rope kid worked on it :yum:

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Is there a legitimate reason why people have ragged on IWD2? Is it the new ruleset, maybe?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
IWD2 has a worse plot than the Baldur's Gate series, and since all player-controlled characters are also player-created, they're all generics with no personality. If you enjoyed those aspects of Baldur's Gate most then IWD2 is a worse game. I like them both though, IWD2's combat and ruleset is lovely.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is there a legitimate reason why people have ragged on IWD2? Is it the new ruleset, maybe?

No creepy waifu

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CrusherEAGLE posted:

The 3e implementation combined with the tight combat tuning makes it maybe the only IE game its possible to spec yourself into a corner, although if you've been around the block with 3e before, or with RPGs of the era, its harder to get in that situation. A couple of the well programmed set pieces drag on from general encounter pacing or questionable maze mechanics, and the poorly programmed ones drag on via reloading before the scripting broke or trawling through console script triggers.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Mzbundifund posted:

IWD2 has a worse plot than the Baldur's Gate series, and since all player-controlled characters are also player-created, they're all generics with no personality. If you enjoyed those aspects of Baldur's Gate most then IWD2 is a worse game. I like them both though, IWD2's combat and ruleset is lovely.

I don't think it has a worse plot at all. Less epic certainly but it's perfect serviceable. Then again I'm one of the people who's not blow away by the BG plot. Now I would agree with you if you said IWD2 wasn't plot driven. BG is absolutely a plot driven game while the Icewind Dale games are combat driven.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

I don't think it has a worse plot at all. Less epic certainly but it's perfect serviceable. Then again I'm one of the people who's not blow away by the BG plot. Now I would agree with you if you said IWD2 wasn't plot driven. BG is absolutely a plot driven game while the Icewind Dale games are combat driven.

Yeah, I agree; there's nothing wrong with the plot of IWD2, it's just that your player character isn't central to it (nor can he be) so it's more of a dungeon-crawler game, but I still think all the background lore in IWD2 is rich and interesting and definitely not "bad" by any measure.

I finally started dealing with Hexxat, and I'm not sure how much of the quest was bugged, but I'm going to spoiler it all anyway, for anyone who hasn't met her yet.

1. Inside the tomb, on the first leg of fake-Hexxat's quest, I met Burich, and it seemed like I could talk through his hostility, but then he would be hostile no matter what ("Here's a rod for you to defeat Dragomir so I can finally be released! Now I am attacking you."). If this was intentional then that's fine I guess, but I went through this conversation multiple ways and sometimes it really felt like he should have not been hostile.

2. After meeting Real Hexxat, Fake Hexxat failed to die and just got removed from my party instead. I went to talk to her, confused as to what was happening, and she just acted like I'd ditched her in the field somewhere and she still wanted to go to Dragomir's Tomb. I reloaded and did the whole scene again and she got killed correctly, but I'm just wondering if this kind of thing is common in the BG2:EE added content.
I was very happy with BG:EE and had no complaints, and I just want to know if significant bugs are common from here on out (in which case I'll save even more) or if this quest has more bugs than the others.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The second is a screwy bug, yeah. There's one more ugly one involving Jan's sidequest, but I think those are the two deal breakers.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anime tupac posted:

1. Inside the tomb, on the first leg of fake-Hexxat's quest, I met Burich, and it seemed like I could talk through his hostility, but then he would be hostile no matter what ("Here's a rod for you to defeat Dragomir so I can finally be released! Now I am attacking you."). If this was intentional then that's fine I guess, but I went through this conversation multiple ways and sometimes it really felt like he should have not been hostile.

You can talk him down though it can rely on charisma or some other talking stat.

They said they are going to patch the game after IWD1 gets released so hopefully it actually fixes everything. Not much point playing before that.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Iretep posted:

You can talk him down though it can rely on charisma or some other talking stat.

They said they are going to patch the game after IWD1 gets released so hopefully it actually fixes everything. Not much point playing before that.

My PC whom I sent in had 18 CHA, with the Ring, and I also tried it after casting Friends, so 24 CHA! :manning:

Anyway I'm glad I'm not crazy; it really seemed liked I'd placated the guy and then he just insisted on getting killed by me anyway.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
IWD2 is also the only IE game that I really want to see an EE version of, because that could mean feats getting unhardcoded.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

IWD2 is also the only IE game that I really want to see an EE version of, because that could mean feats getting unhardcoded.

If they manage to convert it to the EE engine it could also mean more modding opportunities and maybe even able to backport some things from IWD2 to the other IE games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You're going to have to like snow and the characters just being mercenaries to like IWD2.

If you're OK with those things, it has some alright combat and so on. I like the 3e ruleset better but the first bit of IWD2 is a total slog and it never really lets up from just being "alright time to gently caress up some guys, but now you're a level higher so it's a little harder sort of but you have more choices".

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

anime tupac posted:

Yeah, I agree; there's nothing wrong with the plot of IWD2, it's just that your player character isn't central to it (nor can he be) so it's more of a dungeon-crawler game, but I still think all the background lore in IWD2 is rich and interesting and definitely not "bad" by any measure.

I finally started dealing with Hexxat, and I'm not sure how much of the quest was bugged, but I'm going to spoiler it all anyway, for anyone who hasn't met her yet.

2. After meeting Real Hexxat, Fake Hexxat failed to die and just got removed from my party instead. I went to talk to her, confused as to what was happening, and she just acted like I'd ditched her in the field somewhere and she still wanted to go to Dragomir's Tomb. I reloaded and did the whole scene again and she got killed correctly, but I'm just wondering if this kind of thing is common in the BG2:EE added content.
I was very happy with BG:EE and had no complaints, and I just want to know if significant bugs are common from here on out (in which case I'll save even more) or if this quest has more bugs than the others.
The new content especially is definitely quite buggy in BG2EE, so yes expect to see lot more bugs. Beamdog has been working on a BG2EE patch for almost year now. I don't think even they have any idea when it will be released to the public at this point.

This what their community manager(?) said about the patch on Friday:

quote:

Just offering some real-time information:

Today we did a quick run-through of the game's major features and we uncovered a few things that will need to be addressed before we hit beta.

The game is looking really good, though, and there are some things coming down the pike (pipe? pile? piton?) that I think will make a lot of people very happy.
and to someone asking if they should wait for the patch:

quote:

I would wait, personally. This patch is definitely a game-changer.

(I don't speak for Beamdog, but just for my own personal preferences.)
There's bit more info in this thread.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I think I burnt myself out on the infinity engine after doing literally nothing but playing it for a week straight plus. Well that, and sleep.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Has there ever been a (successful) attempt at fixing or mitigating the pathfinding issues in the IE games? I'm startign my yearly run of BG2 and while it's always gotten on my nerves, this time it's actually grating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schurik posted:

Has there ever been a (successful) attempt at fixing or mitigating the pathfinding issues in the IE games? I'm startign my yearly run of BG2 and while it's always gotten on my nerves, this time it's actually grating.
In my anecdotal experience which might have a large amount of internalized fixing errors without consciously doing it, I think a lot of the issues that can crop up come from way too high pathfinding nodes (which IWD2 even sets for you out of the box). I've noticed issues if you set it above 30-40k.

The biggest internalized fix that is second nature is reconfirming any move off screen by clicking once, waiting a second, and clicking again to allow the characters to get dislodged from their formation which means the world to the pathfinding AI.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
You can set waypoints. I think it was shift+click. That helps with long walks.

Besides, it wouldn't be an infinity engine game if that guy didn't say gather your party before venturing forth 30 times every minute.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The EE people have made noises in various places that they're planning to "fix" the pathfinding.

Its a bit of a pain but, really, why not just click the intermediary steps yourself?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Schurik posted:

Use four characters instead of six.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Schurik posted:

There's already a solution built into the game;

1. CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys()

2. CTRL + J

And you're done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I picked up IWEE and am enjoying it but I am stuck as poo poo at the first big fight in the last crypt in the vale of shadows. I keep getting my rear end kicked and cant figure a way to draw the dudes out so I only have to fight a few at a time.