Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

I guess dying with no more money left to spend is a form of winning, right?

Ye-es?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've actually thought about this. I can't really grow facial hair into anything that doesn't look like poo poo, it's tempting to get ~3 minutes of my morning back and never have to worry about buying shaving cream/razors again (already do double-edged razors, not really much money left to save), not to mention having one less thing to pack when I travel.

Probably won't though :effort:
Some day I would like to do laser beard removal. Very far in the distant future. I hate shaving and I hate facial hair, so I shave daily...

I'm impressed with your DE use in just 3min, too. I don't have much facial hair either but it takes me more like 10min with a DE vs perhaps 3-5 with a disposable... Maybe it's cuz I'm asleep in the AM...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're doing lasers, paying brochure price is about the worst with money I could ever think of. Check out Groupon/etc. and wait for a good deal to come up. You should be able to get six sessions for a full beard for $100-200 plus tips.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 8, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Turns out I never finished setting up my 401k at work so there's nothing being deposited into it. It's me, I am the bad with money.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Turns out I never finished setting up my 401k at work so there's nothing being deposited into it. It's me, I am the bad with money.

How long has it been?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're doing lasers, paying brochure price is about the worst with money I could ever think of. Check out Groupon/etc. and wait for a good deal to come up. You should be able to get six sessions for a full beard for $100-200 plus tips.
I have done *zero* research into this before. I always assumed it would be more expensive. I may have to actually research and do it now, that would pay for itself in a very fair amount of time...

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Please note that it hurts in a very similar way to tattooing and works best if you have light skin and dark hair.

In a "maybe bad with money" story, I have a new coworker! A new coworker with no experience in my specific field. Or knowledge of the intense process of my field. Who worked in a field oppositional to my field previously. Who took this job for the increased pay compared to the oppositional job.

This is definitely a job you can only do if you love it and sacrifice for it, so I'm pretty sure she is going to fail spectacularly and be left with no income at all, and unable to return to her previous employment for "job traitor" reasons.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FormatAmerica posted:

How long has it been?

Almost six months. I only realized because they just switched to Fidelity and I had to set up an account with them.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Cloks posted:

Almost six months. I only realized because they just switched to Fidelity and I had to set up an account with them.

Do you not read your paystubs? I always check mine to make sure the deductions are right, and i definitely would have noticed my $40/paycheck not going into my 401k.

Now that it's an IRA though after leaving said company, I sorta set it and forgot it. It may be one of the slowest growing retirement funds out there since I'm not currently contributing, but goddammit, it's there and i'm one of like 3 of my friends that can say I have a retirement fund.

Hell, my entire generation is "bad with money". We got out of college in the middle of a recession, so so many of us just said "gently caress it" and are not caring about their money at all. It's the ones that spend it on inane crap that i just don't get. Blowing money on a hobby is blowing money, but you're deriving enjoyment from it. Blowing money on vacations is the same. Hell, blowing money on blow is at least giving you a few hours of fun. But, at least among a lot of my friends, there's this simultaneous "keep up with the joneses" drive that comes from growing up in an upper-middle-class suburb, and the "Be a free, independent hipster!" drive, which results in wasting money on things like going out and buying a 64" tv two weeks before black friday. IF you can't wait two weeks to buy a huge TV when that huge TV is going to be $500 cheaper, well, you're bad with money. No one has 401ks/IRAs, no one has any plans for emergency funds. It sucks, but when you're paycheck-to-paycheck because that is all you can find with a college degree, I dunno if it's bad with money, or the economy being bad with us.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do you not read your paystubs? I always check mine to make sure the deductions are right, and i definitely would have noticed my $40/paycheck not going into my 401k.

Now that it's an IRA though after leaving said company, I sorta set it and forgot it. It may be one of the slowest growing retirement funds out there since I'm not currently contributing, but goddammit, it's there and i'm one of like 3 of my friends that can say I have a retirement fund.

Hell, my entire generation is "bad with money". We got out of college in the middle of a recession, so so many of us just said "gently caress it" and are not caring about their money at all. It's the ones that spend it on inane crap that i just don't get. Blowing money on a hobby is blowing money, but you're deriving enjoyment from it. Blowing money on vacations is the same. Hell, blowing money on blow is at least giving you a few hours of fun. But, at least among a lot of my friends, there's this simultaneous "keep up with the joneses" drive that comes from growing up in an upper-middle-class suburb, and the "Be a free, independent hipster!" drive, which results in wasting money on things like going out and buying a 64" tv two weeks before black friday. IF you can't wait two weeks to buy a huge TV when that huge TV is going to be $500 cheaper, well, you're bad with money. No one has 401ks/IRAs, no one has any plans for emergency funds. It sucks, but when you're paycheck-to-paycheck because that is all you can find with a college degree, I dunno if it's bad with money, or the economy being bad with us.

It's all direct deposit, I haven't gotten a paycheck since the third week of the job.

I don't think the entire generation is necessarily "bad with money", we just got the short stick in a very materialistic culture ... but that's a derail.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SiGmA_X posted:

I have done *zero* research into this before. I always assumed it would be more expensive. I may have to actually research and do it now, that would pay for itself in a very fair amount of time...
It will be more than that; I don't mean you're getting out of there for $100-200 total. But that should be the price of the Groupon you look for (for six sessions). I think tipping $20 each time is reasonable, so we're already at $220-320. And while six sessions is a great start, you'll probably need a couple more for touchups, maybe three -- hopefully you can find a different Groupon for those too. Do not be suckered by the "unlimited for a year (on one area" deals, because you need to space treatments 2+ months apart.

It works best the more contrast you have between dark hair and light skin, but they have different types of laser for medium or darker skin. The hair always has to be dark, though, there's nothing they can do for light hair. There's a lot more research you should do if you want to go through with it.

Other than maybe skin tone issues, it's not like a tattoo in any way I can think of. It isn't as painful and doesn't hurt in the same way, it doesn't take as long, there's no aftercare, etc. I'm not really sold on the idea that it's saving money, either, but it is definitely worth it for the convenience. As a woman, I only got body hair done, but I'm sure shaving your face isn't too fun either.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Cloks posted:

It's all direct deposit, I haven't gotten a paycheck since the third week of the job.

I get direct deposit along with being able to check paystubs/paychecks online. Do most people not have this as an option?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

As a woman, I only got body hair done, but I'm sure shaving your face isn't too fun either.

My wife gives me poo poo all the time because I have a very angular face, and I always miss bits on the back of the jawline because it's loving hard to shave things that are on right angles.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AA is for Quitters posted:

Who can trust the stock market these days? If you even have money after your student debt, high cost of living and low starting wages, we've had two major recessions in the past 20 years and people have lost a lot of money. Why should we trust our hard-earned money to Wall Street so they can gamble it away and say "Sorry, you should have picked your stocks better"?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Thank you folks for the added hair removal info. I will have to google at some point and look for more info. Thanks!

Shipon posted:

Who can trust the stock market these days? If you even have money after your student debt, high cost of living and low starting wages, we've had two major recessions in the past 20 years and people have lost a lot of money. Why should we trust our hard-earned money to Wall Street so they can gamble it away and say "Sorry, you should have picked your stocks better"?
What. The market has increased massively despite the last 2 large drops. SPY is up 339% in the last 20yrs which outpaced inflation of 61% by a solid margin.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SiGmA_X posted:

What. The market has increased massively despite the last 2 large drops. SPY is up 339% in the last 20yrs which outpaced inflation of 61% by a solid margin.

Read his other posts in this thread. They're just as hilariously dumb and it seems like he's bad enough with money for his own reddit thread.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I thought he was being ironic.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SiGmA_X posted:

Thank you folks for the added hair removal info. I will have to google at some point and look for more info. Thanks!

I read somewhere this is mostly due to the extremely low interest rates and money printing by central banks worldwide. A bubble in the making...

Edit: central banks being bad with money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I get direct deposit along with being able to check paystubs/paychecks online. Do most people not have this as an option?

Yeah, I have done direct deposit since I worked in college and you should always get a pay stub somehow. If you don't get a pay stub regardless of your form of payment, your company is shady as hell.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I know this is old, but Holy crap you people who were talking about how to save money on food around page 30 are terrible.

Folly posted:

Also, at the risk of a derail, a McDouble costs $1 and it is a 400 calorie serviceable imbalance of protein, fat, and carbs. Have one with a big glass of milk from your jug at home and you've got meal for under $2 with the cost of the 2-3 mile drive to McD's included.
Grabbing some McDonalds and "drinking a glass of milk at home" is definitely not a solution for how to save money while eating, go buy some loving bags of lentils and rice or some poo poo and get a slow-cooker. There are plenty of ways to eat cheaply without destroying your body. Jesus loving christ. A lot of other people made "oh yeah that's totally right" noises in response to this post. Please, for the love of god, learn about health and nutrition as well as saving money, or get your will written up quick so that you don't screw anybody when you die like 20 years earlier than expected.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

Read his other posts in this thread. They're just as hilariously dumb and it seems like he's bad enough with money for his own reddit thread.

I would guess that financial savvy, in relation to the stock market, is not something that's routinely taught by parents. I wouldn't expect any random person on the street or the internet to know much about how it works or pay any significant attention to it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Shipon posted:

People lost a lot of money because they were stupid and sold at the bottom.

http://awealthofcommonsense.com/worlds-worst-market-timer/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shipon posted:

You sound like one of those people who shoves his money beneath his mattress and acts all :smug: around people who put their money into the markets.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SiGmA_X posted:

Some day I would like to do laser beard removal. Very far in the distant future. I hate shaving and I hate facial hair, so I shave daily...

I'm impressed with your DE use in just 3min, too. I don't have much facial hair either but it takes me more like 10min with a DE vs perhaps 3-5 with a disposable... Maybe it's cuz I'm asleep in the AM...
I use a 15 year old gillette razor handle. The rubber is melting off. I change my blades about once every two or three months but I clean them daily. I shave with hot water after a warm shower and it takes about a minute. Shaving cream is bad with money :smug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

cowofwar posted:

I use a 15 year old gillette razor handle. The rubber is melting off. I change my blades about once every two or three months but I clean them daily. I shave with hot water after a warm shower and it takes about a minute. Shaving cream is bad with money :smug:

I saw a commercial on ESPN a few years back that was nothing but a guy shaving completely dry. They made sure to accentuate the scraping sound of the razor scraping against his face..

It still gives me nightmares to this day. I don't even remember what the commercial was for.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 8, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Renegret posted:

I saw a commercial on ESPN a few years back that was nothing but a guy shaving completely dry. They made sure to accentuate the scraping sound of the razor scraping against his face..

It still gives me nightmares to this day. I don't even remember what the commercial was for.
Dry shaving is more like dry ripping :(

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Shipon posted:

Yeah like everyone else said, the only people who lose money in market crashes are the people who sell at the bottom and buy back in at the top (or not at all) or need to start drawing on that money for retirement income. Young people should actually be excited by market corrections and downturns. If you're nearing retirement age in the next 10-20 years then it's okay to start getting conservative. I, for one, popped a huge boner on the small drop in the markets a few weeks ago, and you should've too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also if you're picking stocks you're doing investing wrong.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruition posted:

I, for one, popped a huge boner on the small drop in the markets a few weeks ago, and you should've too.

Oh yeah. When VXUS dropped around 4% I moved forward my next contribution. As it was hitting 6%, I floated a week into my grace period on my credit cards (instead of paying them as soon as the bill was issued). At 10% I was rebalancing from VTI which was only down 2-3% at that time. When VTI hit -10% I dipped into half of my cash emergency fund to get in then. If it had gotten down to -20% I would have probably gotten in on leverage. I'm in a very good position though, since I could conceivably retire right now and I can live without touching any accounts at all unless my wife and I both lose our jobs at the same time.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

I just bought an Xbox so I could play Halo co-op. I'm bad with money, but having fun while doing it.

I'm thinking of slapping down 25% of my net worth on an xbone when master chief collection comes out Tuesday. I know that sounds bad with money, but I can probably recoup 15% of said net worth after ebay and fees in the next 6-12 months, if need be.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I'm thinking of slapping down 25% of my net worth on an xbone when master chief collection comes out Tuesday. I know that sounds bad with money, but I can probably recoup 15% of said net worth after ebay and fees in the next 6-12 months, if need be.

Your entire net worth, or just cash you have in the bank?

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

Your entire net worth, or just cash you have in the bank?

Same thing (for me).

edit: Correction, I actually already have a ps3 and an xbox 360. When you count the games, I probably have $300 in material assets. So, a bit less than 25% of my net worth. I subconsciously chose not to count those assets, since they are depreciating quickly and I don't plan to part with them.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 9, 2014

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
That's slightly better, I guess. In the sense that losing nine fingers is better than losing all ten.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

That's slightly better, I guess. In the sense that losing nine fingers is better than losing all ten.

You don't know what Halo means to me, man. The only difference between me and the virginia tech kid is that I played Halo instead of with real guns.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

You don't know what Halo means to me, man. The only difference between me and the virginia tech kid is that I played Halo instead of with real guns.

Therapists are not bad with money.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a woman today pay $70 to send her Publisher's Clearing House entry forms via Express Mail.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I saw a woman today pay $70 to send her Publisher's Clearing House entry forms via Express Mail.

Definitely bad with money, because USPS Express only costs $16.99 for an envelope

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Definitely bad with money, because USPS Express only costs $16.99 for an envelope

...she had multiple envelopes and was freaking out because she "had to get them in on time"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

...she had multiple envelopes and was freaking out because she "had to get them in on time"

Even more stupid given that should could enter on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It came from Reddit:

quote:

I'm just a bit lost in life in general, but I'm hoping you all can right me towards a better financial situation for the future.
I've been going to college for the past 5 years, changing majors four times, never obtaining a degree. I have ~120 credits and roughly 275k student debt to show for it. My loan deferment ends in about 3 months, and I'm concerned about how that will affect my situation.
EDIT: I should clarify, that is about 30k in federal loans in my name, and the rest in the Parent PLUS loans under my parents name.
I make about 1200/mo cleared as a bike mechanic, working 30-35 hr/wk. I have two credit cards; one from Citi at 11.99% with a ~$1500 balance, and one from Chase at 15.99% with a ~3k balance.
I also have typical bills which sum to ~260/mo (utilities, phone, internet).
I'm sick of using my money irresponsibly. What should my plan of action be here?
EDIT: Thank you for your replies. As another option, could I not just transfer to a relatively inexpensive state college and finish my degree? My loan payments would be deferred until I finish, no?

Apparently Drexel costs over $80k a year now? Dude can't even flee the country because his parents are on the hook for his loans. Lots of people suggesting he go work on an oil rig for a few years...

• Locked thread